• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

The lamp at the first boss, or the lamp at the entrance to Research Hall?

At the entrance of Research Hall. Encounter at Underground Corpse Pile lamp is entirely optional for completing his questline and he will only appear there if you mess up the
Ludwig dialogue.

Melchiah

Is Simon the Harrowed missable?

I met him in the shortcut back to the first lamp, and answered yes to his question.

After that, he is supposed to appear after killing the first boss, but he hasn't. I moved onto the area immediately after it, where you find a new lamp (at the top of a lift), and I read he should appear there too (assumingly, after the 2nd encounter).

I'd like to get his weapon, so I really want to see him again. Is there something I am missing? He should be at the first boss room, right? I haven't progressed into the
Research Hall
yet, just got to the lamp at the top of the lift.

cheers!

I missed him after beating the first boss, but was still able to get all the gear from him. I did meet him at the entrance to the Research Hall though.

I've raised the stairs in the Research Hall and Simon is still not appearing, so he's missing from two locations now. I haven't beaten the boss there yet though, do I need to? I've raised the stairs and gone back to the lamp (but not activated it, I have a key which I assume is for the cells below).

Timeaisis

Is Simon the Harrowed missable?

I met him in the shortcut back to the first lamp, and answered yes to his question.

After that, he is supposed to appear after killing the first boss, but he hasn't. I moved onto the area immediately after it, where you find a new lamp (at the top of a lift), and I read he should appear there too (assumingly, after the 2nd encounter).

I'd like to get his weapon, so I really want to see him again. Is there something I am missing? He should be at the first boss room, right? I haven't progressed into the
Research Hall
yet, just got to the lamp at the top of the lift.

cheers!

After the boss battle, you have to
attack Ludwig's severed head
, then reload the area to get Simon to appear over his body.

I've raised the stairs in the Research Hall and Simon is still not appearing, so he's missing from two locations now. I haven't beaten the boss there yet though, do I need to? I've raised the stairs and gone back to the lamp (but not activated it, I have a key which I assume is for the cells below).

Have you gone back to the Hunter's Dream and then back to the research hall lamp?

I've tried the boss area a few times and no dice, but I just warped BACK to the entrance to Research Hall (after operating the stairs) and the creepy mother fucker is at the entrance now so I can talk to him.

Thanks for the help! Now the question is, do I kill him now for his weapon? :)

Not directly BB related, but I got my Dark Souls II Design Works book from UDON in today. Very nice book, much bigger than the Dark Souls Design Works. The layouts are a bit drab, but the concept art is great. Makes the wait for DSIII even harder.

myco666

I've tried the boss area a few times and no dice, but I just warped BACK to the entrance to Research Hall (after operating the stairs) and the creepy mother fucker is at the entrance now so I can talk to him.

Thanks for the help! Now the question is, do I kill him now for his weapon? :)

You get his weapon by killing him but you will get it later without killing him. I would just leave him be for now.

Holy hell! Just beat those two giant fuckers down the well in the fishing village. I struggled with that more than anything else in the game! Goddamn.

Holy hell! Just beat those two giant fuckers down the well in the fishing village. I struggled with that more than anything else in the game! Goddamn.

Those guys were ridiculous. I killed the one that dropped the sword then high-tailed it out of there. Nothing to be gained from tempting fate any further.

I just went down the well too! I died a couple of times, then used visceral attacks on them which took them out really fast. But fuck me they hit like a train, crazy.

The new weapon is from the previous boss, sweet. I wondered if that was attainable when I fought her. I guess it won't do the crazy extensions though :)

Don't know how much I have left of the expansion, but fuck me I love BloodBorne so much.

Holy shit, the Bow Blade! :D

Also, got a new key, I suspect it's for the only locked door in the cells, with the guy talking to you before. EDIT: Yep, and the fucker invaded me as I was approaching his cell! Haha. I got his head gear and another weapon though. Does the rest of his gear drop elsewhere?

Holy shit, the Bow Blade! :D

Also, got a new key, I suspect it's for the only locked door in the cells, with the guy talking to you before. EDIT: Yep, and the fucker invaded me as I was approaching his cell! Haha. I got his head gear and another weapon though. Does the rest of his gear drop elsewhere?
He invades you a few more times further in to the DLC
Fishing Hamlet
, each time dropping a piece of his set.

You didn't miss anything. The gear can be found on the spots he was supposed to attack you. Now you just won't have to fight him several times.

Ah nice, that's good of FROM to do that. Now I really want to finish up and start NG+ with the Bow Blade and Moonlight :)

I am at the Lighthouse Hut now, am I close to the end of the (awesome) expansion?

Melchiah

Ah nice, that's good of FROM to do that. Now I really want to finish up and start NG+ with the Bow Blade and Moonlight :)

I am at the Lighthouse Hut now, am I close to the end of the (awesome) expansion?

Yeah, I was sure I missed them as well, when I killed him in the cell.

You're pretty close to the end, although the hardest part is still ahead. ;)

Yeah, I was sure I missed them as well, when I killed him in the cell.

You're pretty close to the end, although the hardest part is still ahead. ;)

Ah, one final mother fucker of a boss? Great! :)

Oh, I remember what I wanted to ask. After I've killed the final boss (in this area, I am guessing), will I still be able to access the areas of the Expansion? I still want to find out what's going on with the creature in the Grand Cathedral. He's just sitting there, set on fire (might be nothing).

Melchiah

Ah, one final mother fucker of a boss? Great! :)

As far as I'm concerned, the last one competes for the title of the hardest boss with Pthumerian Descendant of Ihyll chalice. Even the bosses in Defiled chalice were easier for me.

EDIT:
Oh, I remember what I wanted to ask. After I've killed the final boss (in this area, I am guessing), will I still be able to access the areas of the Expansion? I still want to find out what's going on with the creature in the Grand Cathedral. He's just sitting there, set on fire (might be nothing).

Yes, all areas are still available after completion.

Seems like you're not that close to the end after all. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, the last one competes for the title of the hardest boss with Pthumerian Descendant of Ihyll chalice. Even the bosses in Defiled chalice were easier for me.

EDIT:

Yes, all areas are still available after completion.

Seems like you're not that close to the end after all. ;)

Ohhh shiit. I had real trouble with some of the bosses in the Chalice Dungeons. Oh well, might be on the look out for jolly co-op then :)

Yeah so that other character, I'll go and investigate him/her further. The only thing I can think of is that I picked up an item from there (for the lift to get to Research Hall), perhaps something can be placed back there to wake him up. I'll have a look but don't think I've got anything, only keys which I've used on the Balcony and Cells.

Melchiah

Ohhh shiit. I had real trouble with some of the bosses in the Chalice Dungeons. Oh well, might be on the look out for jolly co-op then :)

Yeah so that other character, I'll go and investigate him/her further. The only thing I can think of is that I picked up an item from there (for the lift to get to Research Hall), perhaps something can be placed back there to wake him up. I'll have a look but don't think I've got anything, only keys which I've used on the Balcony and Cells.

Apparently you've missed an item, or two, there. ;)

I tried to find a co-op partner for the last boss as well, but it seems like there aren't many players around the area. So, you may have to find help here, or among your friends, if you need it.

Apparently you've missed an item, or two, there. ;)

I tried to find a co-op partner for the last boss as well, but it seems like there aren't many players around the area. So, you may have to find help here, or among your friends, if you need it.

Oooh is there a little window to jump through during the elevation? FROM like doing that, the cheeky monkeys!

:)

taybul

I first played through the DLC with my ~150 level char on NG+ and didn't seem to have a problem. On my new char at level 65 Ludwig is kicking my ass! Think I may have been overpowered the first time through.

Finished The Old Hunters the other day. That's some of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played. Everything (just like the base game) was top notch. The bosses, the weapons, the outfits and the new areas. So good. Played it on NG+ (it was tough) so I'm doing a new character now. Always fun to replay Bloodborne.

I love my +10 Holy Blade, wondering whether it's worth getting a Blood Rock to upgrade the Moonlight Sword to +10? I only have Arcane at 14 so maybe I wouldn't get any benefits from it?

Thoughts?

I love my +10 Holy Blade, wondering whether it's worth getting a Blood Rock to upgrade the Moonlight Sword to +10? I only have Arcane at 14 so maybe I wouldn't get any benefits from it?

Thoughts?

I leveled mine up pretty high with low arcane and it was a really bad idea. I would recommend not doing it.

This area is creepy... but, they
put another Blood Rock in the Expansion?! That's handy. Now, to put it on Simons Bow Blade, or my Evelyn? Both are highly tempting!

I spoilered it incase anyone doesn't want to know, but it's pretty handy! :)

three_muffins

Gold Member
Im on the verge of buying the old hunters dlc. The thig that bothered me the most in Bloodborne is the bad implemantation of co op. Only got it to work on when i was extremly lucky. Is the co-op improved in the dlc? It is easier to find people to coop with?

SkylineRKR

This area is creepy... but, they
put another Blood Rock in the Expansion?! That's handy. Now, to put it on Simons Bow Blade, or my Evelyn? Both are highly tempting!

I spoilered it incase anyone doesn't want to know, but it's pretty handy! :)

Guns aren't really worth it to max out. I did max my Evelyn and put 31.5 BT gem on it, but the difference with +9 isn't huge. Put it on the bow. And if you're pure BT build, get a Lost version of the weapon and max that instead.

Blood Rocks aren't an issue if you're into Chalices though.

Guns aren't really worth it to max out. I did max my Evelyn and put 31.5 BT gem on it, but the difference with +9 isn't huge. Put it on the bow. And if you're pure BT build, get a Lost version of the weapon and max that instead.

Cheers dude.

I just did the final boss with two people helping! I really didn't think two would turn up, incredible! Never had that in BB before, just Dark Souls.

Anyway, I may or may not attempt the Chalice Dungeons from the expansion. I did all of them in the Base game, and never actually came across another Rock. Oops, must of missed it.

My Blood Tinge is only 22 or something, should it be higher to make the Bowblade worth it? My STR is 30 and SKILL is 25. I concentrated on STR for the Holy Blade.

Melchiah

+10 Evelyn with 50lvl Blood Tinge, and Bone Marrow Ash, saved my ass many times in the chalice dungeons.

Optional boss done, that is the expansion complete (well, 100% trophies anyway, I didn't complete the League rank ups).

Old Hunters was brilliant, I enjoyed many, many things during my 12ish hours playing through it all. The new environments were ace, I am not sure I've got a favourite really, although the last area looked the best visually - very dramatic setting! The new enemies were all really good and nicely varied too which was a concern of mine going in (just in case they were all reskins from the base game).

New weapons seem cool from what I've tried so far, with the Bow being really helpful, can't wait to go into NG+ using that. Haven't switched the Holy Blade for Moonlight Sword yet, I may do at some point, but I am not an Arcane build so wouldn't get that benefit.

Favourite boss
was Lady Maria, what an awesome fight. Getting visceral attacks on her felt amazing, and the music, fuuuck.
I am going to jump into some co-op helping out with that boss, I really want to do it again and again.

So yep, overall, absolutely loved it, and I am a little gutted that there won't be any more for Bloodborne, but I am guessing it won't be too long before we hear about potential sequels to it.

With the optional boss done...
I can now turn into a Beast? How is that? Is it what we wanted it to be?
Need to go and try that out.

Defunkled

Been trying for hours to find a helper in front of the fog door for the Orphan of Kos. Is the Beckoning Bell broken in this area? It just will not summon anyone.

Obscura

I finally got around to starting a second playthrough (with Old Hunters for the first time) and unlike last time, I'd like to befriend Djura. A question though. If I aggro him will he still speak to me? I assume I have to aggro him in order to kill blood starved, get kidnapped etc but wanted to make sure.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah you have to aggro him to begin with, just don't go up that tower to fight him the first time in case he falls off to his death during the fight.

taybul

Additionally...and I learned this the hard way..after you befriend him if he sees you attacking any of the beasts in the area he'll start attacking you again.

myco666

With the optional boss done...
I can now turn into a Beast? How is that? Is it what we wanted it to be?
Need to go and try that out.

Probably the best thing that came out of the DLC. Use Beast Claws with it to get most out of it. Also there is other similar thing in the DLC you might have missed which is also really cool.

Probably the best thing that came out of the DLC. Use Beast Claws with it to get most out of it. Also there is other similar thing in the DLC you might have missed which is also really cool.

Could you tell me what that is? Sounds interesting! Is the from drip drip drip in Research Hall?

Top Bottom