• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony to reveal Spartacus next week

Withnail

There will be no major news this week.

April PS+ games are due to be announced on Wednesday so that's the point they will announce new subscription tiers. I agree it's not major news though, there are some unreal expectations about what it's going to be.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes, as well as GamePass, PS Now and Switch online.

Well perhaps you value different games then. Sony had some good titles in 2020 and 2021 but most of them I already owned a long time before. (As did many playstation owners) Where as ms had more games I didn't, the value was higher for me.

Agent X

Suspect there might be some licensing stuff to deal with.

Wasnt aware you needed a licence to run your own bootloader you developed yourself?

I am more talking about the games themselves, I suspect that they were licensed and published for specific systems.

It's a suspicion that I have based on the limited xbox BC list but could be off-base on this one. Obviously Sony could work to track down the legal owners of the games and agree the deals to make it work.

This has to do with the method that Microsoft used to implement "backward compatibility" for Xbox and Xbox 360 games on their newer systems. This doesn't apply to most other methods of traditional backward compatibility. More on this in a moment

Why do you think Microsoft didn't bruteforce full BC with X360 and original Xbox games? The games are usually licensed to run on X platform, enabling it to run in another may not be to the publishers best interests, as they may be interested in remastering it or something. It's not very clear how those agreements were made, but it's pretty telling that Microsoft need to have the publisher's approval to release a game on BC.

Microsoft needed publishers' approval for Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One and Xbox Series X because their method requires the system to download a new digital copy over the Internet to the system's internal digital storage. It then executes the game from the system's internal storage, rather than the original media.

Other backward compatible systems (for example, Atari 7800, Game Boy Advance, Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3) don't have this problem, because they execute the code directly from the original media. That's why those systems can run all (or very nearly all) of their predecessors' games, regardless of whether the game is still being produced, or who originally developed the game, or who owns publishing rights to the game.

In theory, if Sony enabled true, comprehensive system-wide emulation of PS1, PS2, or PS3 on PS4/PS5, then those games should run off the original discs in exactly the same way they did on the original consoles. Sony wouldn't have to license anything.

Dr Bass

Well perhaps you value different games then. Sony had some good titles in 2020 and 2021 but most of them I already owned a long time before. (As did many playstation owners) Where as ms had more games I didn't, the value was higher for me.
Not wanting to nitpick, but ... don't you see how the statement you're making here kinda supports Captain Toad Captain Toad s argument? :p

Not wanting to nitpick, but ... don't you see how the statement you're making here kinda supports Captain Toad Captain Toad s argument? :p
People's opinions of games is entirely subjective, argument or not.
Some people will value certain games over others, and everyone's opinions will differ.

Debating which service provides better games is an endless argument because due to peoples preferences. However... If you guys were really looking for a way to judge both offerings using some sort of metric, there is the following.

PS Plus free games avg Metacritic Score was 73.8

2021 XBL Games with Gold free games avg Metacritic Score was 73.0

So PS Plus had the better games by and avg score of 0.8. Not exactly a landslide. It's also worth noting that PS Plus users recieved a total of 40 free games in 2021, while Gold users recieved 49. So the trade off for that 0.8 better avg was 9 less free games.

It won't be successful because Sony gamers have been slating gamepass for yeas and saying PlayStation gamers don't like to rent their games and consume games in a different way.

It won't be successful because Sony gamers have been slating gamepass for yeas and saying PlayStation gamers don't like to rent their games and consume games in a different way.
Especially if Sony won't release their 1st party games day one on the service, and instead throws in a bunch of old games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hezekiah

Banned
I hope this is good. I'll definitely subscribe if it is.

(good = all first party releases day one).

If it's not good I'll keep waiting for sales. They would undoubtedly get way more money from me if they were brave enough to do it than they will if they aren't.

Especially if Sony won't release their 1st party games day one on the service, and instead throws in a bunch of old games.
Sony arent about to give away access to their first-party games on a subscription service unless it's a premium priced tier, because demand for their top games is big and getting bigger. They know they can sell 15m+ then add them to the Playstation Collection later.

People need to get their head around this. If you have sought after content, a lot of people will pay the price necessary to consume it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Bass

People's opinions of games is entirely subjective, argument or not.
Of course, I agree with your statement. That doesn't change the fact the poster I was quoting was giving tacit admission that he agrees PS+ games are better. Not that I have an opinion on those one way or another, I don't even really pay attention to the free games that come out for the services. I just thought it was an interesting point I noticed, nothing more, nothing less.

Lognor

Banned
April PS+ games are due to be announced on Wednesday so that's the point they will announce new subscription tiers. I agree it's not major news though, there are some unreal expectations about what it's going to be.
That makes sense.

Well there better actually be decent games this month then and not the usual stuff they put on PS+. Otherwise, no one is going to care.

Shmunter

This has to do with the method that Microsoft used to implement "backward compatibility" for Xbox and Xbox 360 games on their newer systems. This doesn't apply to most other methods of traditional backward compatibility. More on this in a moment

Microsoft needed publishers' approval for Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One and Xbox Series X because their method requires the system to download a new digital copy over the Internet to the system's internal digital storage. It then executes the game from the system's internal storage, rather than the original media.

Other backward compatible systems (for example, Atari 7800, Game Boy Advance, Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3) don't have this problem, because they execute the code directly from the original media. That's why those systems can run all (or very nearly all) of their predecessors' games, regardless of whether the game is still being produced, or who originally developed the game, or who owns publishing rights to the game.

In theory, if Sony enabled true, comprehensive system-wide emulation of PS1, PS2, or PS3 on PS4/PS5, then those games should run off the original discs in exactly the same way they did on the original consoles. Sony wouldn't have to license anything.
Precisely. Doing low level emulation is comparable to Sony essentially selling the original console. MS high level approach means they tinker on a per game basis to make it work and a new binary needs to re-issued.

Last edited:
Sony arent about to give away access to their first-party games on a subscription service unless it's a premium priced tier, because demand for their top games is big and getting bigger. They know they can sell 15m+ then add them to the Playstation Collection later.

People need to get their head around this. If you have sought after content, a lot of people will pay the price necessary to consume it.
You may be right, not saying you’re not. But they won’t get me as a customer is all I’m saying. I’d pay them 12 x $15 each without hesitation, if they don’t do it I’ll probably pay about 3 x $30 when things go on sale. Seems like bad business to me (they lose half my money), but we’ll see what they do.

begotten

I heard from someone that the PS1 titles for Spartacus are the exact same ones Sony put on the Mini Classic they released a few years ago. I hope they're joking. I'm sure this is great for a lot of people but it's kind of lazy and underwhelming to me.

Top Bottom