• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony to reveal Spartacus next week

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because pc is not Xbox.
Xbox itself says that it is a part of the "Xbox ecosystem." Who are you or me to deny it.
Like 2% of game pass subscribers are pc only.
Source?
And you're double counting. I have pc and Xbox. You're counting me twice.
No I'm not. I don't think you understand how Math works.
No one talks about ps plus.
Oh, the irony.
People are forced to have ps plus.
Yeah, Jim Ryan puts a gun to my head, and I must subscribe to PS+ every year.

Lognor

Banned
Xbox itself says that it is a part of the "Xbox ecosystem." Who are you or me to deny it.

Source?

No I'm not. I don't think you understand how Math works.

Oh, the irony.

Yeah, Jim Ryan puts a gun to my head, and I must subscribe to PS+ every year.
Can't play online if you don't have ps plus. Most ps games are online games. You need it. Game pass is not needed. Just a great value, hence why it's so popular

My sources are official numbers.

PS+ has 48 million subscribers. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/02/ps-plus-reaches-record-number-of-subscribers-on-ps5-ps4 (link to Sony's financial report)

Xbox has 25 million subscribers. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

Edit: Lognor Lognor You are leaving "laughing" emojis on this comment which is nothing but two links to official sources? Man, seriously, seek some help. This is not healthy.

Ok thank you for the sources. They seem pretty legit to me since they are from Sony and Microsoft.

Have anything to counter this Lognor Lognor ?

You know you want this.

First Place Shopping GIF by Target

Orbital2060

They always move the goalposts because if they don’t, they never win. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You and a couple of orhers in this thread are the ones moving the goalposts by ignoring the fact that PSNow and PS+ are not the same, just like XBL and Game Pass are not the same.

If you want to do that, then you have to put Game Pass and XBL in the same pool as well, so 25 mill GP subs + how many XBL subs (100 million as of 2020 according to Statista).

But it doesnt work like that - they are two different services. So its PSNow subs VS Game Pass subs, or around 3.5 miilion subs VS 25 million subs.

xHunter

Now you have moved the goal post. But even then you're wrong.
  • PS+ is only on PlayStation consoles. There are now around 125 million PlayStation consoles out there. So 48 million subscribers with a 125 million userbase = 38.4%.
    • So 38.4% of PlayStation userbase who can subscribe is subscribed to PS+.
  • Gamepass is on PC + Xbox. There are roughly 55 million Xbox users out there and at least 120 million PC gamers. So a total of ~175 million userbase and 25 million GP subscribers = 14.2%
    • So only 14.2% of people who can subscribe are subscribed to Gamepass.
Now I can't wait to see you respond either extremely childishly like "No, I refute you!" or move the goal post again to something else.
You forgot the billions of smartphones that are all talking about GamePass.

Withnail

You and a couple of orhers in this thread are the ones moving the goalposts by ignoring the fact that PSNow and PS+ are not the same, just like XBL and Game Pass are not the same.

If you want to do that, then you have to put Game Pass and XBL in the same pool as well, so 25 mill GP subs + how many XBL subs (100 million as of 2020 according to Statista).

But it doesnt work like that - they are two different services. So its PSNow subs VS Game Pass subs, or around 3.5 miilion subs VS 25 million subs.

Someone else with the 100 million XBL subs😂

Swift_Star

Banned

Ps+ is still the most popular subscription. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Swift_Star

Banned
Can't play online if you don't have ps plus. Most ps games are online games. You need it. Game pass is not needed. Just a great value, hence why it's so popular
Most PS games aren’t online. F20p games don’t require ps+, you don’t need it to play fortnite and those are the most played online game. Once again you’re showing how you don’t understand anything you’re saying. Sony exclusives barely have an online component as of now. Also, Gold always flopped compared to ps+ and it was required to play f2p games and it never set the world on fire…
Yeah, you really should stop coming to these threads, you never seen to have your facts right.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
How many subs PS+ has, has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Btw Statista shows 48 million PS subs as of 2021

Yes, more than Gold and GP. Your XBL data includes everyone, even those not paying for gold (the vast majority of Xbox users don’t pay for gold or GP). gold subscribers and GP subscribers are less than ps+ They’re lower than ps+. “Another one” as you say.

Orbital2060

Yes, more than Gold and GP. Your XBL data includes everyone, even those not paying for gold (the vast majority of Xbox users don’t pay for gold or GP). gold subscribers and GP subscribers are less than ps+ They’re lower than ps+. “Another one” as you say.
I think the Gold was at around 30-35 million? Im not sure and it doesnt matter.

They are two different services - how is that so hard to understand?

Edit if you add Gold and Game Pass youre probably above the 50 million subs you keep talking about for Spartacus.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
And we are still waiting for a single person to prove that ps plus has more subscribers than xbox gold. Oh wait, they can't. And yet they can say it like it's fact that these is more ps plus subs, with no proof whatsoever.

They sit there talking about goal posts, how xbox doesn't have 100 million, but yet have no numbers or proof to back it up. Then they magically say it's ps plus vs gamepass and live gold magically disappears and doesn't matter, apparently there is 3 subscribers as everyone has gamepass. Round and round we go, kind of pointless.

Goalus

We don't know that. When MS doubled the XBL Gold price, there was a huge sh*tstorm which indicates that there are a lot of Gold users who are not subscribed to Game Pass. I'd say XBL Gold members + Game Pass subscribers = 50M is pretty realistic.

Lognor

Banned
Most PS games aren’t online. F20p games don’t require ps+, you don’t need it to play fortnite and those are the most played online game. Once again you’re showing how you don’t understand anything you’re saying. Sony exclusives barely have an online component as of now. Also, Gold always flopped compared to ps+ and it was required to play f2p games and it never set the world on fire…
Yeah, you really should stop coming to these threads, you never seen to have your facts right.
Call of Duty is the best selling game on ps every year. You need online to play the main game. That's why ppl but ps plus, not because the service is popular or a good value. You NEED it. Fifa is mostly played online. You need ps plus to play online. I could go on. Get a clue

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because they are not the same service.

You have to compare Game Pass with PSNow, and XBLive with PS+.
Once PS Now is merged with PS+ next week, they will be the same service. And when it comes to comparing "which company has the biggest subscription service", PS+ and Gamepass will be compared with each other.

If ps plus is so popular how come no one ever talks about it? Yet people won't shut up about game pass. Therefore game pass is more popular
That’s not how popularity works. It literally works like the mode - whatever is up taken the most is the most populous, therefore the most popular.
What you are talking about is an opinion and as we know, online commenters are a small, vocal minority. The facts are that PlayStation Plus is the leader in online subscriptions.

NinjaBoiX

I’m trying to second guess what they’ll do with existing subscriptions, and if it’s worth stacking another year or two of vanilla PS+ to take advantage.

I’ve been spoilt by the ridiculously good £1 Gamepass deal, lol!

j0hnnix

Call of Duty is the best selling game on ps every year. You need online to play the main game. That's why ppl but ps plus, not because the service is popular or a good value. You NEED it. Fifa is mostly played online. You need ps plus to play online. I could go on. Get a clue
Terry Crews Need GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
i really hope this thing is announced on monday or else the whole week is gonna be consumed with speculation and bad photoshop graphics
More likely, via a blog post on Wednesday. Games to go live on the subsequent Tuesday.

Or if it is a State of Play -- then an announcement on Monday and the show on Wednesday. Games to go live on the subsequent Tuesday.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My sources are official numbers.

PS+ has 48 million subscribers. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/02/ps-plus-reaches-record-number-of-subscribers-on-ps5-ps4 (link to Sony's financial report)

Xbox has 25 million subscribers. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

Edit: Lognor Lognor You are leaving "laughing" emojis on this comment which is nothing but two links to official sources? Man, seriously, seek some help. This is not healthy.
Why would you compare PS+ with Game Pass? You should compare PS+ to Gold members.

GP should be compared to PS Now, which was 3.2M last year. (Cant find a more up to date number than that)

PS Now is, admittedly, a footnote on the list of PlayStation services these days – but its number of subscribers has been gradually growing. As of the end of March this year, the service had 3.2 million members, which is dwarfed by PS Plus’ ginormous 47.6 million – but is almost double where it was at the same time in 2020.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's alright to accept that there is no one to one comparison between the platform holders subscription services and it won't be one to one after they roll out Spartacus.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why would you compare PS+ with Game Pass? You should compare PS+ to Gold members.

GP should be compared to PS Now, which was 3.2M last year. (Cant find a more up to date number than that)

PS Now is, admittedly, a footnote on the list of PlayStation services these days – but its number of subscribers has been gradually growing. As of the end of March this year, the service had 3.2 million members, which is dwarfed by PS Plus’ ginormous 47.6 million – but is almost double where it was at the same time in 2020.
The point of argument when I joined the conversation was already about these two services. Lognor was claiming that Gamepass is more popular than PS+, and I refuted with official data that it isn't the case.

Anyway, by next week, even this confusion would end when Sony deprecates PS Now and merges it with PS+. It'll be a more straightforward comparison with GP after that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The point of argument when I joined the conversation was already about these two services. Lognor was claiming that Gamepass is more popular than PS+, and I refuted with official data that it isn't the case.

Anyway, by next week, even this confusion would end when Sony deprecates PS Now and merges it with PS+. It'll be a more straightforward comparison with GP after that.
I had to go back a bunch of replies to see where it started.

Swift Star said PS+ is more popular than Game Pass (a dumb comparison to begin with, as someone else brought up PS Now has 3.2M subs), and Longor saying it's not (wrong as PS+ does have more sub count than GP).

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is a you problem. I don’t have Playstation Plus and I don’t need it. I’ve never subscribed to Xbox Live Gold and never needed that either. I did get XBL Gold through Gamepass though just because I wanted Gamepass on console and PC, in total I’ve played 30 minutes of Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 just to try, wasn’t for me.

If I do get PS+ through a Spartacus subscription then that’s a nice bonus, just like what MS did with Gamepass, but nothing else.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Well the lowest tier is what we already have, so people won’t lose out, but yes, I’d expect there to be some goodwill from Sony and for all current subs to be given the top tier for free for a period of time.
Without an upgrade fee?!? 😂

Look, look at his balls…..

68963_gb_news.jpg

reksveks

Without an upgrade fee?!? 😂

Look, look at his balls…..

68963_gb_news.jpg
I think it's not crazy to believe they might just change the tier that you are on to (aka to the top one) and that would then be reflected in the next time that they bill. I don't know if I have explained that well.

I suspect that would give the hardcore and vocal fans a win especially if they have paid up for 3 years in advance and then give Sony a win cause they could up the ARPU on the people paying monthly/quarterly.

Sega Orphan

Banned
I do not doubt that it will be a success and that, when it arrives, some of those here who criticized the services and models of subscription / Gamepass and said that PS users do not need them and who prefer to buy games, will begin to formulate reasons why Spartacus is better than Gamepass. Simply because it's what they had to do then.

These types of models are here to stay and it has been shown that people are very receptive to them. I have no doubt that an interesting competition between Spartacus and Gamepass ( even if they are not exactly the same) will start and in that same one the users will win.
You arnt trying to say that console warriors are hypocritical? No way, they are an honourable group of enthusiasts who only care about truth and honesty. Their sole aim is to cut through all the FUD and highlight that Console A is infact better than console B. If people could only see what they see, they would then agree with them about which console is better.

Jemm

If Microsoft cared about this comparison of subscription counts (I doubt it), they could just do the same and merge the Xbox Live Gold as the new lowest tier of the Game Pass, which contains online gaming and some perks (free XBL games and/or some 1st party games).

reksveks

If Microsoft cared about this comparison of subscription counts (I doubt it), they could just do the same and merge the Xbox Live Gold as the new lowest tier of the Game Pass, which contains online gaming and some perks (free XBL games and/or some 1st party games).
Yeah, it's a bit of weird one. I think neither company cares about the PR of comparing themselves to other platforms. Definitely not as much as fanboy's.

I do expect a new tier for xbox but on the lower end for cloud users aka app unless they are content to force people to GPU to access xcloud on their TV's. I am also wondering what Sony does for these users.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well the lowest tier is what we already have, so people won’t lose out, but yes, I’d expect there to be some goodwill from Sony and for all current subs to be given the top tier for free for a period of time.
What gives you the “goodwill” indication? The Horzion FW flip on the free upgrade promise and backing off? Or the GT7 screw up?

Absolute best scenario you’ll get from Sony is a discounted upgrade for a period of time as they’ll migrate subscribers to the same tier equivalent.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think they can follow the same route or, at least, if they do, it won't increase the numbers by much.

The reason is that they have already used the XBLG userbase to build the Gamepass subscriber base. I'm referring to the $1 upgrade path from XBLG to GPU.

What gives you the “goodwill” indication? The Horzion FW flip on the free upgrade promise and backing off? Or the GT7 screw up?

Absolute best scenario you’ll get from Sony is a discounted upgrade for a period of time as they’ll migrate subscribers to the same tier equivalent.

I think they know this needs to hit - Subscriptions are their biggest earner now. More than software and hardware.

Jemm

I don't think they can follow the same route or, at least, if they do, it won't increase the numbers by much.

The reason is that they have already used the XBLG userbase to build the Gamepass subscriber base. I'm referring to the $1 upgrade path from XBLG to GPU.
After that deal ends, they would still have to pay the $15 price for the GPU to maintain online play. Those that don't want to switch to GPU for good, will maintain subscribing to the much cheaper XBL Gold.

I'm sure that the XBL Gold subscriber count has dropped significantly from its best days, but mostly because they dropped needing it for the F2P games.

Top Bottom