• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony to reveal Spartacus next week

skit_data

I wonder what this ”splashy line up of games” will consist of?
Most people seem to take it as PS1-PS3 classics but I’m not so sure.

I’d be happy to see that though, never owner a PS2 and didn’t play many of the PS1 classics because I was just a kid.

Edit: I just noticed they’ve moved the PS+ tab up front next to Playstation Store in the last update for PS5. I wonder if this is an indication that they plan to make the Spartacus version of PS+ a more visible part of the home screen.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
More arsed about the pricing structure rather than anything else.

I don’t currently sub to Plus, I let it lapse 18-24 months ago after having it since its inception on PS3.

In a post Covid world I’d hope they’d do something like this (ignore the shitty names);

Cloud saves - now free alongside party chat/messaging.

Plus bronze - £29.99 a year for online play only.

Plus silver - £59.99 a year for online play and access to an instant game library

Plus Gold - £89.99 a year and includes all of that plus game streaming, the 5 hour demos and 5% off first party titles.

Only one I’d be interested in would be basic online play.

I don’t think Sony would, but if they use this as an excuse to raise the price on what we’re currently getting it’ll be a shit show.

DJ12

Coming up with stuff is easy .. but most work goes into creating that vision, why haven’t they launched something already .. if it’s so easy . GP is running 4 years now . Why do you think they partnered with MS for azure ? I am not convinced.
Gamepass is only a competitor for Sony in internet forum bantz.

MS do not see Sony as the enemy, they would love to give Sony 15% of the profit to have gamepass on PlayStation (it's pretty much fact they've already asked for it to be on both PlayStation and switch)

Sony does not need to be concerned about the 'threat' from gamepass as there literally isn't one.

Sony release games for xbox, Ms release games on PlayStation. Soon there will be far more collaboration, especially from ms as they will be far keener to get some of that PlayStation money due to the much larger user base.

In my opinion we'll see gamepass on PlayStation in the next year and maybe ms games available for sale on the ps store without being subbed in the months following that.

MS have bigger fish to fry (and cannot beat the ps brand anyway) i also think Sony don't see ms as competition either.

I hope Sony are generous and don’t just launch this without giving current subs a period of time with the top tier at no extra charge automatically. They are so frugal at times but also do some great free game giveaways.

I do wonder that their big games will be for the middle tier. They have to have some PS5 games as they gave away the majority of their PS4 hits in the PlayStation Plus collection.

I’d imagine they’ve got the PS5 Final Fantasy with the DLC, possibly GoT or Death Stranding PS5, Destruction Allstars, Sackboy and Demons souls.

Come on sony. A big library that includes PS1, PS2 and PS3 games with the ability to either stream or download. This is what I would personally like to happen. What will be the big pull that makes you want to subscribe? We know first party games launching isn't happening. Maybe sony will announce that every title they release goes in the library 1 year after release or even sooner than that?

Last edited:
i’ll
perscribe or whatever if it has a giant library and emulated ps3 games. I feel that Sony isnt’t going to create anything new, they are just combining and selling an old library, same streaming service, no emulation, ect.

Last edited:
Come on sony. A big library that includes PS1, PS2 and PS3 games with the ability to either stream or download. This is what I would personally like to happen. What will be the big pull that makes you want to subscribe? We know first party games launching isn't happening. Maybe sony will announce that every title they release goes in the library 1 year after release or even sooner than that?

PS3 won’t be downloadable. Everything else will be per rumours.
I think the game trials is interesting for me, but I hope it isn’t a small selection. I have limited time but have interest in many games - i’d like to try more so I can make more informed decisions. I’d need the timer to start from when I start playing, not downloading though.

Withnail

People are overthinking this. PS+ isn't going away, they're just adding new tiers at higher prices. The middle tier will probably combine what is currently PS+ and PS Now. The PS Now brand will disappear.

No idea why Xbox fans feel the need to run pre-emptive damage control, getting in hits against Sony media manipulation and a brainwashed PS fan base 😂.

Three

More arsed about the pricing structure rather than anything else.

I don’t currently sub to Plus, I let it lapse 18-24 months ago after having it since its inception on PS3.

In a post Covid world I’d hope they’d do something like this (ignore the shitty names);

Cloud saves - now free alongside party chat/messaging.

Plus bronze - £29.99 a year for online play only.

Plus silver - £59.99 a year for online play and access to an instant game library

Plus Gold - £89.99 a year and includes all of that plus game streaming, the 5 hour demos and 5% off first party titles.

Only one I’d be interested in would be basic online play.

I don’t think Sony would, but if they use this as an excuse to raise the price on what we’re currently getting it’ll be a shit show.
This would be the dumbest move ever. Hey lets cut the cost of our current subscribers because why not. So that you can get the things you want for cheaper and free while showing no interest in the other tiers anyway?

The best we can hope for is PS+ remaining the same price with PS+ premium tiers giving us the "splashy games". You already get discounts with PS+ regular too.

T-Cake

what? The current subscribers will be moved to the tier that corresponds to current PS Plus. This is not rocket science.
What this is from you people is actually: CONCERN

How does that work in my case where I only subscribe to PS Now? Are they going to give me PS+ for free for the remaining six months I have left? I sincerely doubt that.

reksveks

In my opinion we'll see gamepass on PlayStation in the next year and maybe ms games available for sale on the ps store without being subbed in the months following that.
Friendly charity bet? That it doesn't happen.

I think parts of the forum misunderstands gamepass

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

If they don’t at least do it for PS1 and PS2 games, then they don’t deserve the history they have.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You mean still being the most popular subscription service currently in gaming?

Yeah, no traction.

Before you start making "smart" remarks, you should probably get your facts straight.
PSNOW has a whopping 3.2 million subscribers. For those who are not mathematically challenged, that's a lot less than 25 million.

Shmunter

Sounds lame as. Change my mind.

Edit: the only benefit here over ms is you get online with every tier apparently

Last edited:

DJ12

Friendly charity bet? That it doesn't happen.

I think parts of the forum misunderstands gamepass

Ms has already asked Sony and Nintendo about it. It's a case of when not if.

I'd argue if you think gamepass is to make the xbox console business a success then it's you that doesn't understand what gamepass.

DJ12

Before you start making "smart" remarks, you should probably get your facts straight.
PSNOW has a whopping 3.2 million subscribers. For those who are not mathematically challenged, that's a lot less than 25 million.
Psn+ is a subscription service dumb dumb....

Swift_Star

Banned
How does that work in my case where I only subscribe to PS Now? Are they going to give me PS+ for free for the remaining six months I have left? I sincerely doubt that.
PS Now games don’t need ps plus. I guess you’ll be moved to a tier that includes both. It’s honestly not that hard to understand what they’ll do.

Swift_Star

Banned
So we will witness history next week...

...when subscriptions will switch from "not sustainable" and "bad for industry" to awesome

It was a nice ride green rats!
Subscriptions are here since Xbox live Gold and Ps Plus though?

Last edited:

reksveks

I'd argue if you think gamepass is to make the xbox console business a success then it's you that doesn't understand what gamepass.
So want to do a bet, something like 20 usd to the other person's charity of choice. You said a year so 31st March 2023.

I don't think GP is to make the console successful no, it thinks more of a prime video where its to make the MS store successful.

Thirty7ven

Banned
imagine competing against gamepass with demos lmao

Might be genius in the end. You think people are out there finishing a ton of games on Gamepass? It's basically a tasting service when it comes down to it.

And MS themselves say that the amount of games played after subscribing only goes up 40%. If Sony focuses on legacy, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 games and standardizes PS5 game trials? Might be money.

In terms of positioning, not much you can say about it regarding Sony. If this works out, genius, if it doesn't? Well they can just go further in the future.

Contrast that to MS, where do they go from here? They are already giving their games away, there's nowhere else to go but buying publishers. And trying to walk it back? Yeah, no, one way ticket.

Last edited:
If they don’t at least do it for PS1 and PS2 games, then they don’t deserve the history they have.

they have to do something. especially now that we are in the digital era. if someone wants to play a PS1 or PS2 game than they should be able to purchase it on the store like any other game. heck, even the PS3 store let you buy PS1 classics but you cant on PS5?! why did they stop? should have kept adding more and more games and they would have had the entire PS1 library on the store by now.

Can’t wait! I’ll subscribe day 1 if they include 1st party games.

theres no if about it. aint happening.

Don't care about ps now, or older games, or demos, or streaming shit to a twitch crowd.

All I'm hoping for is a larger library of games to choose from at a slight increase in price. I don't even mind games not being there day one if they do eventually find their way there.

Are you dense?

It was a question. I don't recall Sony mentioning anything about "Spartacus" or what will happen to previous subscriptions when this new thing rolls out. I mean, judging by the title of the thread, "Sony to reveal Spartacus next week", I get the impression Sony hasn't even officially announced this.

I know it may be hard for you to understand this but there are people out there who don't base their entire life existence around videogames, so they may not know every single last bit of "news". Judging by your other responses in here you seem very emotionally invested in this. If someone asking you for confirmation on your claim brings you to this point it might be time to go outside and ride a bike or something. Go to the park and play chess, interact with other humans.

Swift_Star

Banned
It was a question. I don't recall Sony mentioning anything about "Spartacus" or what will happen to previous subscriptions when this new thing rolls out. I mean, judging by the title of the thread, "Sony to reveal Spartacus next week", I get the impression Sony hasn't even officially announced this.

I know it may be hard for you to understand this but there are people out there who don't base their entire life existence around videogames, so they may not know every single last bit of "news". Judging by your other responses in here you seem very emotionally invested in this. If someone asking you for confirmation on your claim brings you to this point it might be time to go outside and ride a bike or something. Go to the park and play chess, interact with other humans.
Don’t know why you’re butthurt over obvious stuff but you do you.

yurinka

There are still quite a few countries without psnow. I assume they would have to expand to those places when this becomes availible for purchase asap.
A couple of years they mentioned that wanted to increase the number of countries supported by PS Now, and added a few. I assume they will continue increasing very slowly the amount of countries supported. As I remember they support now around almost 30 countries, a few less than Gamepass Ultimate/xCloud.

I think that one of the main ideas behind Spartacus is to add an intermediate PS Plus + PS Now tier without cloud gaming, which is what limits the amount of countries.

Don't care about ps now, or older games, or demos, or streaming shit to a twitch crowd.

All I'm hoping for is a larger library of games to choose from at a slight increase in price. I don't even mind games not being there day one if they do eventually find their way there.
If Grubb isn't lying (again), the top tier that would include PS Plus, PS Now and the "extended demos" (I bet they will be exactly "full game time limited trials" of new games) would be cheaper than the current price of PS Plus + PS Now.

According to Bloomberg PS Plus would be the same we have and PS Now would receive hundreds of games from all Sony generations (and in the near future PS5) in addition to the almost a thousand games it already has.

Sounds lame as. Change my mind.

Edit: the only benefit here over ms is you get online with every tier apparently
Well, there are at least 3 benefits more: a bigger catalog (and they are supposed to add hundreds of games more), many PlayStation exclusives from different generations and the demos.

We have to see what the demos exactly are, but if they are full game time limited demos during a generous enough amount of time (let's say over 2 hours) and include day one important games it may be a big plus.

On average over a third of the players play less than 5 hours per week, and between 25 and 30% of the players play from 5 to 10 hours per week. So that would be more than enough for many people to play and test games.

Last edited:
I mean, it sounds cool and all. I'm sure I'll pay the extra, but they honestly have to make it more worthwhile for your casual gamer. I do like the idea of being able to stream certain games rather than just download them.

Despite what I think about Microsoft, they have Game Pass spot on. They give you an incentive for later down the year with first-party exclusives for free. And I'm pretty certain they did a dollar promotion for 2 years, I think. Not too sure about that.

What happens to people who still have another year or 2 of PS Plus/PS Now? Do you have to pay extra or does it get converted for free? Do they offer the first year free/big discount for the first year for the PS5 users or for the people who already have PS Plus/PS Now?

Will Sony throw a curveball and offer us more than that has apparently leaked so far? I guess we'll find out by the end of this weekend judging by that tweet.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Will only give a fuck when they include day one release for the same price as game pass. this is what made gave a fuck about game pass in the first place. not the ability to play 15 years old games.

If there is no option that has day 1 games, then this thing is dead for me.

Topher

Gold Member

When did MS ask Sony and Nintendo about Game Pass again? That would be major news if true.

Top Bottom