• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Border collie may prove dogs understand human language

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20040610/od_nm/star_dc

capt.vber12106102049.germany_dog_language_vber121.jpg

Rico, the German dog who outshone all human competitors in a popular TV talent show, remembers the names of more than 200 objects and can figure out which item his master wants -- even if he has never heard the word before.

But would-be collie owners be warned, Krzeslowski said.

"It can be hard to come home and get on with work. You first have to play 'fetch' with 20 objects. The only thing he accepts is when you are in bed. But he also gets up early in the morning."

B'z-chan

Banned
These dogs are freaking brain dogs. I got one here at teh house. And crap that thing knows what i'm talking about. I dont even say something to signal things and this dog knows whats going on. Its one smart bitch i swear.

But it brings up the question why are animals so sad? I know when my dog is all upset and stuff and it bums me out.

Tritroid

My grandpa has had a border collie on his farm for about 14 years now. She's one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen.

If there's a storm coming and you're outside mowing the lawn or something, she will literally come and get you by going around the mower in circles until you come inside.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
capt.vber12106102049.germany_dog_language_vber121.jpg

Poor dog. Looks like its got catarax (i think that's how it's spelt), like my dog has.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i have 2 border collies. They are really smart but, one of them is lazy the other one is a paranoid psychopath.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
on my way to work this morning there was this mini collie walking on the side walk with all the people.. as if it were a person.. it was incredible how human like its actions seemed. it glanced at the road workers as it walked by them.. stopped at the corner with the rest of the people.. crossed the street at the right moment. it was almost as if it was heading to work..

its kinda hard to describe it but it really impressed me.

also, a few weeks ago, i was standing outside of a corner store when a lady and her dog (a mini-collie as well) came by. she walked in and told the dog to wait outside.. the dog waited by the door, but when it looked like the dog was going to try to sneak in, the lady gave it a harsh look and mouthed the word 'NO' .. the dog took a few steps back and continued to wait.. it incredible how smart these dogs are.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ours is a blue heeler/border collie and he's one smart dog :p
when my mum goes to the shops he just sits outside on a bench without being told, and waits patiently for her to come back out. we've never had to discipline him like our other 15-year old dog (jack russell) and he's only just over a year old...

if he doesnt get eye contact when someone is over, i swear he does things just to get up your nose.. like he'll pull something over or tear one of his toys up to get you to look at him.. not sure if that's intelligence :p but it reminds me more of a little kid than a dog!!!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Yep, border collies are amazing dogs. You really don't realize how much they pickup on and learn just from being around you. Mine's gotten to that point that when I actually venture outside to play a little basketball (the burning!) it stands guard at the post and will actually knock the ball back to me after it's gone through the hoop. Sometimes it's done it hard enough to about smash the ball in my face. I didn't teach her this, she just sort of figured it out. Plus they just love working. These dogs don't have a lazy bone in their body. They're not the kind of dog to just veg out and let you pet them - they want to be put to some use. Plus, they typically don't get very big and I have mine trained to obliterate all stray cats on sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom