• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 removing Cross-Play for Playstation Platforms

Ensoul

I don't see why it's good news. At this point the more people you can play this game with the better? Sony does really take their heels in about cross play for whatever reason.

Mr.ODST

I don't see why it's good news. At this point the more people you can play this game with the better? Sony does really take their heels in about cross play for whatever reason.
It might only be temporary while they get certification but its weird to take it out for certification the enable it after when its not even been certified?

Ensoul

It might only be temporary while they get certification but its weird to take it out for certification the enable it after when its not even been certified?
Hopefully it is and I may not have read it 100% correctly I don't know if it's actually Sony that doesn't want this or the publisher?

reksveks

Hopefully it is and I may not have read it 100% correctly I don't know if it's actually Sony that doesn't want this or the publisher?
It seems that Sony wants the publisher to pay and publisher doesn't. I have seen people blame the publisher but I don't get that.

Not sure who is to blame, obviously came out in the EPIC v Apple case that Sony requires a cut based on playerbase etc especially around MTX but Borderlands 3 doesn't have any, Are Sony the only ones to charge developers for Cross-Play?
That we know of, Sony is the only company that charges publishers for enabling cross play

Last edited:

Soodanim

My best guess is that Sony are confident they won’t get enough backlash from the times a publisher doesn’t cough up the cash to outweigh the times a publisher does. I’m also guessing that they’re right. Who’s going to drop their PS5 over cross platform play?

jhjfss

Pay Me Bitch Better Have My Money GIF

I said this in the last thread about Sony and crossplay that it was Sony throwing a wrench in the gears of crossplay for Borderlands 3 and people were calling me a liar. Love it.

O well, at least it's finally coming. Crossplay should just be supported regardless of platform, a larger player pool only helps to extend the lifespan of any given game. Just give players the option to opt-out of playing with other consoles or PC so that everyone can be happy.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fucking ridiculous. Been waiting for this patch since the game released. I own every console and a PC, and already pay for online for 3 of those. Don’t make me buy multiple copies of the same fucking game to play with friends. It’s so anti consumer. I have friends on all platforms. Let us buy the game for our preferred platform and play with our friends. Insane. Thought this was finally coming to an end with Call of Duty and Fortnite embracing crossplay. But looks like they’re still holding out.

Hopefully this causes enough uproar that they flip on this issue. And fast.

elliot5

As far as we know this is cross play and not cross purchasing like Fortnite. You can try and make the argument that it's fine for crossplay royalties when purchasing is made on other platforms, I get that.

IF Sony also requires royalties for crossplay even if console purchases don't carry over then I don't understand how you can justify that lol.

NewChoppa

Banned
Mannnnn I literally just got back into BL3, was really looking forward to the cross play update.

Fix the fuck up, Sony

supernova8

Banned
But they’re the market leader and deserve the tribute of money for allowing peasants to play with their friends on other platforms. /s

You say that sarcastically but I don't recall Microsoft (which is the platform that has been banging on about cross-play the most) begging for it when they were neck-and-neck with Playstation in the PS3/360 generation.

Surely people have to find it odd that Microsoft suddenly started being a bleeding heart after they got pummeled by the PS4.

Of course as a consumer I have no issue with cross-play, the more the merrier, but it's not hard to see why Sony would think "nah actually I'm OK without cross-play".

Last edited:

elliot5

You say that sarcastically but I don't recall Microsoft (which is the platform that has been banging on about cross-play the most) begging for it when they were neck-and-neck with Playstation in the PS3/360 generation.

Surely people have to find it odd that Microsoft suddenly started being a bleeding heart after they got pummeled by the PS4.

Of course as a consumer I have no issue with cross-play, the more the merrier, but it's not hard to see why Sony would think "nah actually I'm OK without cross-play".
Nintendo is far from being pummeled by Sony, and yet they allow it, too with no fees as far as we know.

Banned
Sony probably want to be paid for nothing again.

#Inb4foolishjustificationposts

well we don't know if it is because sony wants money, if it is then fuck em.

and honestly, why did Epic Games even bow down to this? back then they had all the cards in their hands, Sony had no choice but to give in if Epic Games actually wanted to.

what they could have done is say to Sony that they will simply cut the PS4 version of Fortnite off from all the other versionsm the risk of bad PR maybe would have been enough to convince Sony to not do that fees bullshit they're doing now

Last edited:
Not sure who is to blame, obviously came out in the EPIC v Apple case that Sony requires a cut based on playerbase etc especially around MTX but Borderlands 3 doesn't have any, Are Sony the only ones to charge developers for Cross-Play?
Wait is this real? In what world does Sony deserve a cut of anything just because a developer enables cross play? 4theplayers my ass.

Kokoloko85

Its a business move

For example, If theres only 500 people playing on the Nintendo and 2000 people playing on the Playstation, why should playstation help out Nintendo’s users base to have more players to play with?

4 the players, yeah the playstation players lol
Wait is this real? In what world does Sony deserve a cut of anything just because a developer enables cross play? 4theplayers my ass.

How does this effect Playstation users? Are they missing out?

Kokoloko85

If you have a friend who has Borderlands 3 but not on the PlayStation, now you can't play with them.

I know for some people having friends IRL is an alien concept though.

Lol, most my friends play on Playstation and have a Switch

If I play with people online its with friends I made through games like Destiny, which I found on Playstation.

Its a problem if you only have 1 friend lol, maybe having more than 1 friend is an alien concept for some though....

martino

Its a business move

For example, If theres only 500 people playing on the Nintendo and 2000 people playing on the Playstation, why should playstation help out Nintendo’s users base to have more players to play with?

2 of my friend have the game on ps4
i have it on pc
i played solo and we wanted to play the dlc the three of us (tbh i pushed a little for it)
i will not buy the game , the dlc and PS+,it won't happen.
here sony will not see the money of two MTX ...

Last edited:

elliot5

Its a business move

If Person A has Borderlands 3 on Xbox, and Person B has Borderlands 3 on PlayStation they cannot play together.

The copies are already sold, and they already have their consoles.

If they can play together, it's more likely they will be inclined to spend money buying DLC packs to continue playing together. That will drive revenue for Sony that could be lost otherwise.

What's more likely - that one person convinces the other to drop an extra $500+ on another copy+console to play together, or easily buying a $30 season pass?

Kokoloko85

2 of my friend have the game on ps4
i have it on pc
i played solo and we wanted to play the dlc the three of us (tbh i pushed a little for it)
i will not buy the game , the dlc and PS+,it won't happen.
here sony will not see the money of two MTX ...

If they really wanted to play it they would buy it.
You werent gonna buy it on the Playstation anyway. I dont see them losing much this way lol

Top Bottom