• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 removing Cross-Play for Playstation Platforms

DryvBy

I think it's the publisher not willing to pay Sony for their revenue share thing exposed too us during the epic v apple thing. I havn't got through the whole video yet but that what it seems to be.

But the tweet doesn't make any sense if its about paying. Gearbox went in and was already working on crossplay on Sony. This revenue system didn't sneak up on them. So why would they have started work on that knowing they'd pay then tell Sony "F off"?

ManaByte

To arms sonygaf!!!!
war GIF

John Wick

You're making your purchase on iOS or Google (which also takes 30%). They went ballistic over Epic telling people to buy Vbucks on their own store and not iOS.
If I bought something for say Fortnite on IOS and then carried my game over to Android and vice versa would the purchases of items carry over?

reksveks

But the tweet doesn't make any sense if its about paying. Gearbox went in and was already working on crossplay on Sony. This revenue system didn't sneak up on them. So why would they have started work on that knowing they'd pay then tell Sony "F off"?
Project Liberty but shittier

ManaByte

If I bought something for say Fortnite on IOS and then carried my game over to Android and vice versa would the purchases of items carry over?

Yes, everything Fortnite is tied to your Epic account. Doesn't matter where you buy something, once it's bought it's on your account regardless of where you play.

Even the PS+ freebies they give out on PlayStation can be used on the other platforms.

The only thing in Fortnite that segregated is Vbucks on PlayStation. Vbucks you buy on PlayStation can only be used there. But if you buy Vbucks on PC/Xbox/Mobile they can be used anywhere except PlayStation.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Given SONY's past behavior regarding crossplay I have no reason to believe this is all on them. Seriously they need to reverse this draconian fucking policy of "protecting our users. . ." or whatever horseshit they are able to get away with for having this in place - especially when it is so inconsistent.

. . .and even if it ISN'T on SONY's part, they should still be dragged for the above policy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a software issue. I get the feeling that Sony's Playstation cert process is much more complicated than on Xbox... cause they suck a software :messenger_tears_of_joy: Okay, okay... maybe not suck but they really need to get better on that end, like for real. I wonder what their back end looks like... I really hope they didn't code themselves into a corner again like with PSN and User names 🤔

Last edited:

ManaByte

Nobody cares about crossplay except fans of other consoles...

People with real life friends and family (I know, this is a strange concept to some people) care.

I have a co-worker who I play stuff like Fortnite or CoD with. He only has an Xbox One. My nephew and brother-in-law play a lot of Fortnite. They only have a Switch and PS4. With crossplay we can all be in a squad regardless of what platform. I can be on anything, my co-worker on his XBO, my newphew on his Switch, and my brother-in-law on their PS4.

Its a business move

For example, If theres only 500 people playing on the Nintendo and 2000 people playing on the Playstation, why should playstation help out Nintendo’s users base to have more players to play with?

4 the players, yeah the playstation players lol

How does this effect Playstation users? Are they missing out?

I play Hunt: Outlaws and Legends on my Series X. My oldest son plays on his PS4. If either of us turn cross play off, it takes ages to find a game. With it on, it takes seconds. So yes in this case, the PlayStation users miss out if there were no crossplay.

It’s really not an issue on bigger MP titles because there is a user base large on each platform. But when you get into the less popular MP titles, crossplay is routinely a life saver.

Maybe you aren’t into MP much or don’t have many friends, in which case I’d wonder why you care.

John Wick

Yes, everything Fortnite is tied to your Epic account. Doesn't matter where you buy something, once it's bought it's on your account regardless of where you play.

Even the PS+ freebies they give out on PlayStation can be used on the other platforms.

The only thing in Fortnite that segregated is Vbucks on PlayStation. Vbucks you buy on PlayStation can only be used there. But if you buy Vbucks on PC/Xbox/Mobile they can be used anywhere except PlayStation.
So with Sony it's not the crossplay that is the real issue but Sony players spending their cash on mtx items on other platforms.

John Wick

People with real life friends and family (I know, this is a strange concept to some people) care.

I have a co-worker who I play stuff like Fortnite or CoD with. He only has an Xbox One. My nephew and brother-in-law play a lot of Fortnite. They only have a Switch and PS4. With crossplay we can all be in a squad regardless of what platform. I can be on anything, my co-worker on his XBO, my newphew on his Switch, and my brother-in-law on their PS4.
I think Sony would be better off having a rethink about this strategy. General crossplay would benefit everyone. I can see Sony being stubborn due to losing money on skins and items on other platforms etc.

vkbest

Sony pissing me off lately with their closed system.

genshin isnt crossplay and should be. Idk Sony doing bad shit to their rep this gen. A lot of non consumer friendly decisions.

might explain why i havnt purchased any playstation titles in over a year now.

Genshin is cross play. You can play with mobile and Pc users. It’s not cross progression. The problem with Sony is not cross play, it’s cross progression, they don’t want you play on PlayStation but paying micro transactions on your mobile to Google or Apple

Last edited:

NickFire

It could be a glitch or something else of course, but don't discount the possibility of a last ditch effort to avoid paying for it by getting people mad at Sony. Epic just recently tried strong arming Apple that way with the in game videos after breaking Apple's rules and getting Fortnite removed.

vkbest

So Sony allow you to play with PC and mobile players but not Xbox or Nintendo?
Nope, Sony don’t want you can buy your DLC on other platform and play on your PlayStation. But you can play fortnite with Xbox and Switch users. Genshin is not on Switch or Xbox currently

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
For all we know the certification process (quality control) might just be more thorough on Playstation than other platforms for cross-play.

Of course, everyone will read into it what they want.

Kokoloko85

I play Hunt: Outlaws and Legends on my Series X. My oldest son plays on his PS4. If either of us turn cross play off, it takes ages to find a game. With it on, it takes seconds. So yes in this case, the PlayStation users miss out if there were no crossplay.

It’s really not an issue on bigger MP titles because there is a user base large on each platform. But when you get into the less popular MP titles, crossplay is routinely a life saver.

Maybe you aren’t into MP much or don’t have many friends, in which case I’d wonder why you care.

I dont really care because it doesnt effect me. Im not asking Playstation not to crossplay, Im just explaining why I think there not doing it. It doesnt effect me either way.

My real life friends play on Playstation and if I want to play online theres either random people playing the game I am, or people on my friends list on playstation.
So the choice is random people online, friends list, or real life friends. Which there all playing on Playstation Or Switch

93xfan

Banned
It seems that Sony wants the publisher to pay and publisher doesn't. I have seen people blame the publisher but I don't get that.

That we know of, Sony is the only company that charges publishers for enabling cross play

That is a really bad thing for the industry.

Hope this changes very soon

zaanan

Banned
So much hyperbole... We don’t even have enough details yet to know who to “blame” for this “issue!”

Question: does Sony have the *right* to charge a “potential lost console sales” fee to a publisher who wants them to allow crossplay with competing consoles? As a businessman, I say 100% yes. It is a business not a charity! And those other console owners have the ability (and right) to buy a PS4 at any time in order to gain access to that playerbase. Also, at least Sony allows this with a fee! Back in the X360 days, Microsoft just said No (which was their right too, by the way). And no, enabling X360 crossplay with PC was not benevolent of Microsoft at all— all PC owners have paid the “Microsoft tax” already, by virtue of buying a PC with Windows.

tl;dr:
Xbox guy: “I wanna play with PS people, but bad guy Sony won’t let me do it for free! Waaaah!”

elliot5

So much hyperbole... We don’t even have enough details yet to know who to “blame” for this “issue!”

Question: does Sony have the *right* to charge a “potential lost console sales” fee to a publisher who wants them to allow crossplay with competing consoles? As a businessman, I say 100% yes. It is a business not a charity! And those other console owners have the ability (and right) to buy a PS4 at any time in order to gain access to that playerbase. Also, at least Sony allows this with a fee! Back in the X360 days, Microsoft just said No (which was their right too, by the way). And no, enabling X360 crossplay with PC was not benevolent of Microsoft at all— all PC owners have paid the “Microsoft tax” already, by virtue of buying a PC with Windows.

tl;dr:
Xbox guy: “I wanna play with PS people, but bad guy Sony won’t let me do it for free! Waaaah!”
Bringing up x360 stuff is irrelevant in current year. I had/have a ps3 and not a 360 and I was annoyed with the lack of crossplay then, too. Expecting every person would just buy a console in the current market to play with friends when the biggest games offer crossplay is dated. ESPECIALLY if those games aren't cross-purchase like Fortnite microtransactions. The point of the Epic contract that leaked was to get some money back if a user is buying items on a different system, but the majority of userbase is on a PlayStation. If you HAVE to buy your stuff on PlayStation even if you can play with friends, what's the big deal? Sony will still get their money via the game sold, the DLC sold, and the user playing on their console. It's just greed at this point when Stadia, Android, iOS, Xbox, fucking Luna will seemingly all allow cross play, but Sony won't in certain senarios.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That is a really bad thing for the industry.

Hope this changes very soon

How? The industry was working quite fine without cross play. Now cross play is here (with PlayStation too). Just not for Borderlands 3 at this moment. But it may come back later.

How does anybody justify lack of cross play as a good thing? And no the industry was not working well, several online games likely died early deaths because of a lack of cross play.

This is something people don’t understand and they don’t care because they probably didn’t play any of those games anyway. Just look at one of the people making tons of defense posts, “I don’t play those games” and “all of my friends play on PlayStation”. So then why do you care 😆

Battleborn and Evolve are two games I played a ton of on PlayStation and Xbox and towards the end of their life, neither had a healthy player base and if crossplay were in those games, players would have had better experiences on either console.

I just don’t get the apologists. There’s zero negative impact for Sony here if they allow cross play without requiring publishers to pay them. It’s just a shitty move.

LOLCats

Banned
Genshin is cross play. You can play with mobile and Pc users. It’s not cross progression. The problem with Sony is not cross play, it’s cross progression, they don’t want you play on PlayStation but paying micro transactions on your mobile to Google or Apple
You are right, cross-save is what i should have said and meant. Just an example of PS anti consumer closed ecosystem policies. Obviously to lock players into MTX purchases via PS store...

Last edited:
This is something people don’t understand and they don’t care because they probably didn’t play any of those games anyway. Just look at one of the people making tons of defense posts, “I don’t play those games” and “all of my friends play on PlayStation”. So then why do you care 😆

Battleborn and Evolve are two games I played a ton of on PlayStation and Xbox and towards the end of their life, neither had a healthy player base and if crossplay were in those games, players would have had better experiences on either console.

I just don’t get the apologists. There’s zero negative impact for Sony here if they allow cross play without requiring publishers to pay them. It’s just a shitty move.
Yeah I don't get it either. People expect crossplay to save a game's dwindling playerbase like it's a universal solution when in fact if the game was good in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How does anybody justify lack of cross play as a good thing? And no the industry was not working well, several online games likely died early deaths because of a lack of cross play.

I didn't say it was good to remove cross play. I said it wasn't bad for the industry if cross play was removed from "Playstation Only", for this "One" game, at the "particular moment".

How do you think this payment happens? Do you think the publishers have to pay Sony just to get cross play started?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well that blows. I have a few friends that only own this on PS I would have loved to play with.

Nobody cares about crossplay except fans of other consoles...

Hopefully they will use some of the 18.6 billion to buy Bungie or Destiny at least.
Just because nobody outside of your PlayStation fanboy bubble likes you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom