• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection |OT| All Jacked Up

tensuke

Hey so my roommate was gonna pick this up, but we only have 2 controllers atm. Anyone know if remote play puts the whole splitscreen on the Vita or will it only put one screen on? I'd imagine the former, but that sounds not exactly playable..

What's with the massive difficulty spike around the time you get to the fridge or am I just bad at this game?
Bloodwing
is currently kicking my arse and I have no idea how I'm going to beat it.

What's with the massive difficulty spike around the time you get to the fridge or am I just bad at this game?
Bloodwing
is currently kicking my arse and I have no idea how I'm going to beat it.

Playing as Gaige and I killed that boss in around 7 shots.

I would try mixing your upgrades around. You may be on a shitty build.

BTW, that's a spoiler.

Carl

I reached Endgame on Borderlands 2 and decided to play the DLC before finishing it seeing as i've never played it before. Started with Tiny Tina. Not finished it yet but really good so far, prettyf unny. Great stuff.

Playing as Gaige and I killed that boss in around 7 shots.

I would try mixing your upgrades around. You may be on a shitty build.

BTW, that's a spoiler.

Ah, I didn't realise, rectified. And yeah, I think I probably am playing a shitty build, this is my first time playing and I have no idea what I'm doing tbh. I'm playing as Zer0 but I know I'm doing it wrong because I'm not really sniping.
The boss keeps ripping through my shield in one hit and then my health is just exposed.

Ah, I didn't realise, rectified. And yeah, I think I probably am playing a shitty build, this is my first time playing and I have no idea what I'm doing tbh. I'm playing as Zer0 but I know I'm doing it wrong because I'm not really sniping.
The boss keeps ripping through my shield in one hit and then my health is just exposed.

You picked a tough character for starting new. He's great, but tougher solo than most of the others. You could exit and start grinding for better shields.

However do a google search for good Zer0 builds and see which ones helps.

batbeg

Anyone else get the Claptrap box? It's pretty cool though I've only played with it for a few minutes. I love all the character art it came with, that was a pleasant surprise to me. The box got a little beat up by Amazon which was annoying...

hydruxo

I reached Endgame on Borderlands 2 and decided to play the DLC before finishing it seeing as i've never played it before. Started with Tiny Tina. Not finished it yet but really good so far, prettyf unny. Great stuff.

Tiny Tina dlc is absolutely amazing from start to finish. That's the kind of dlc I'd like to see more often from games.

You picked a tough character for starting new. He's great, but tougher solo than most of the others. You could exit and start grinding for better shields.

However do a google search for good Zer0 builds and see which ones helps.

I managed to beat the boss through using some cheap tactics, I'm definitely going to use your advice and research how to play with him and what builds to use though. Thanks a lot.

shiba5

Anyone else get the Claptrap box? It's pretty cool though I've only played with it for a few minutes. I love all the character art it came with, that was a pleasant surprise to me. The box got a little beat up by Amazon which was annoying...

I have him. He scared my 2 year old niece at first, but then she decided he was funny.
My dog still hates him.

Wallach

Tiny Tina dlc is absolutely amazing from start to finish. That's the kind of dlc I'd like to see more often from games.

I finished this DLC today myself and I also thought it was great. Definitely one of the best DLC campaigns I've played in a long time.

I had a few complaints with it, but they were either minor (couple enemy types seemed overly annoying) or just carried over concepts I take issue with in the overall game's design (over-reliance on ambush-style enemy spawns, poor combat scenario pacing at times).

The SWORDSPLOSION!!! alone would have justified me playing through this DLC. A Punisher reference, in my Borderlands? A Toruge shotgun that shoots swords that explode into swordbombs which explode again?! Yes, my Axton will take two, please. God I love Torgue.

Plus it's a much better place to farm for the Bee shield.

batbeg

I have him. He scared my 2 year old niece at first, but then she decided he was funny.
My dog still hates him.

Oh yeah my lab is not fond of the little guy at all. She keeps sniffing at it then barking when I move it around. I plan to fuck with her by sneaking up while she's sleeping and talking to her.

I just got the game today and have not played yet. I know there is a code for 25 Golden Keys which expires today, March 31. Does anyone know what time the deadline is? Thanks!

Wallach

I just got the game today and have not played yet. I know there is a code for 25 Golden Keys which expires today, March 31. Does anyone know what time the deadline is? Thanks!

They didn't specify a time, only a date; I would say a safe guess is anywhere from 40 minutes from now (12:00AM Eastern) to another 3 hours after that (12:00 AM Pacific).

hydruxo

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection NeoGAF Friends List

Quote to reveal the link

I know there were some people asking for a list of gaffers to play with for this game, so I went ahead and made a spreadsheet so that everyone who is looking for people play co-op with can find people. I put 4 seperate pages on there for North America, Europe, South America and Asia. It's just basic info like PSN/Gamertag, times you can play, etc. I'll put the link in the OP too.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection NeoGAF Friends List

Thanks, this is just what I need!

I was coming to this thread to tell about my experience with the game, but hopefully playing with some Gaffers might help.

Right now, I'm not very excited with the game. I played for a few hours yesterday. First solo and then with randoms from matchmaking and I don't know...something feels off. I quess this is one of those games that you need to have friends to play with?

Fliesen

after first-timing the Captain Scarlett DLC from lvl 18 to like 23, i'm midway through the Torgue one. While it has less compelling of a "story", it involves a lot less backtracking and travel by foot, which is great.

BokehKing

Banned
So did everyone start duping the weapons and shields yet or what?

I want to get this game but not right away, I'm just afraid by the time I do... people will be like

'here is a shield with 9999999999 stats with a 1 second delay 9999999 recharge rate'

Yeah I don't have to pick it up, but if everyone else is using it and we are doing tough content it makes me the weak link because I refuse to be in God mode.

Is there any ETA for the Performance Patch? I want to get this collection for XboxOne. But the technical issues are a reason to wait for me.

Fliesen

So did everyone start duping the weapons and shields yet or what?

I want to get this game but not right away, I'm just afraid by the time I do... people will be like

'here is a shield with 9999999999 stats with a 1 second delay 9999999 recharge rate'

Yeah I don't have to pick it up, but if everyone else is using it and we are doing tough content it makes me the weak link because I refuse to be in God mode.

i only play single-player, but since there's even a possibility to get your Xbox 360 character onto your PS4 via a PC, i think the possibility of duping is very real.

Is there any ETA for the Performance Patch? I want to get this collection for XboxOne. But the technical issues are a reason to wait for me.

has an upcoming patch like that been confirmed yet?

I love how, if a game's technically flawed at release, people are expecting a "performance patch" - just like the "load time fix" patch for bloodborne.

Carl

Finished it last night, absolutely incredible. Great piece of DLc. As you say, that's the kind of thing is I'd love to see more of

Enemies seemed a little weird though. At one point it was throwing orcs at me that are 5 levels higher than i was (and i was 35)

i only play single-player, but since there's even a possibility to get your Xbox 360 character onto your PS4 via a PC, i think the possibility of duping is very real.

has an upcoming patch like that been confirmed yet?

I love how, if a game's technically flawed at release, people are expecting a "performance patch" - just like the "load time fix" patch for bloodborne.
I believe someone from Gearbox was saying that they were investigating it.

And people should expect a patch for this. There is really no excuse to release a game that advertises what it does and only delivers what it has.

Fliesen

I believe someone from Gearbox was saying that they were investigating it.

And people should expect a patch for this. There is really no excuse to release a game that advertises what it does and only delivers what it has.

oh, "investigating". Like they didn't know they'd have massive tearing on the Xbone pre-release.

sure, people can _hope_ for a patch. they may feel _entitled_ for a patch. Just expecting that a dev who wilfully ships a somewhat broken piece of software to fix their game after the fact is a bit optimistic.

They decided for a certain amount of effort (=budget) to be put into this remaster, to get their content onto the current gen consoles, I don't think they'll up that effort much more to fix the game completely.

The handsome collection includes all the story DLC, so it's not like they can make any more money on this game after selling the bundle itself.

It would be nice for them to fix it, just don't expect too much. The fact that they released it in its current form should be indication enough about how much they care about the quality of this port.
If they fix it, it'll be by downgrading the visuals on the presequel.

RedBoxed this for the weekend to decompress from BloodBorne (I need a break or I'll set my PS4 on fire - fuck that game is frustrating!)

I've only played maybe 30 minutes of BL1 years ago and didn't care for the FOV, framerate or something... Made me dizzy when no other FPS ever did.

As such im excited to try it out on PS4. Any tips for a complete noob who will be split screening with the lady?

ObiDin

oh, "investigating". Like they didn't know they'd have massive tearing on the Xbone pre-release.

sure, people can _hope_ for a patch. they may feel _entitled_ for a patch. Just expecting that a dev who wilfully ships a somewhat broken piece of software to fix their game after the fact is a bit optimistic.

They decided for a certain amount of effort (=budget) to be put into this remaster, to get their content onto the current gen consoles, I don't think they'll up that effort much more to fix the game completely.

The handsome collection includes all the story DLC, so it's not like they can make any more money on this game after selling the bundle itself.

It would be nice for them to fix it, just don't expect too much. The fact that they released it in its current form should be indication enough about how much they care about the quality of this port.

Here's the quote from the support website:

Our engineers are investigating reports of screen-tearing in the Xbox One version of Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. We are looking into possible resolutions to be included in a future update. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please submit a support request at http://support.gearboxsoftware.com.

I would say they intend to make a fix for the issue. Every Borderlands has launched with many, many bugs. As this is a port, I expected even more bugs than usual. Doesn't make it ok, but their history(on Borderlands games) shows they try to fix the issues as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Its a bit presumptous to call the game "broken" Its perfectly playable and functions just fine. Broken describes a game that frequently crashes and/or prevents you from completing it.

Now, I do agree that the screentearing and framerate drops are annoying, but can we place STOP using the word broken.

I suspect those will ge

What's up with the shitty performance in this game? We need a locked 30fps option asap. It only takes a few enemies on the screen to drastically drop the framerate, disgusting.

ironcreed

Banned
Started this up for a bit last night on PS4 and it's a big step up from what I played of Borderlands 2 on PS3. It runs like hot butter and the image is sharp as a razor, other than the pop-in that remains.

Started this up for a bit last night on PS4 and it's a big step up from what I played of Borderlands 2 on PS3. It runs like hot butter and the image is sharp as a razor, other than the pop-in that remains.

Keep playing, it runs like hot butter until it runs like cold margarine.

hydruxo

Loyalty rewards are now re-enabled + they upped the legendary drop rate for BL2 and TPS until April 7th.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One! As a reward for playing either Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on previous-gen consoles, players will receive the following bonuses upon signing into SHiFT in The Handsome Collection:

Borderlands 2

75 Golden Keys
A healthy chunk of Badass Rank
Bonus character customizations

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

75 Golden Keys
A healthy chunk of Badass Rank
Bonus unique weapons and character customizations

And as an additional bonus, we’ve temporarily increased the drop rate on legendary loot in Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel across all platforms! This bonus will be in effect through Tuesday, April 7 – happy looting! You’ll want to restart your game to ensure the loyalty reward and drop rate updates are properly loaded.

Note: Loyalty rewards in Borderlands: The Handsome Collection can only be unlocked within the same console family on which you originally played Borderlands 2 or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

To clarify, in order to earn the rewards on PlayStation 4, you need to have played on PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita. To earn the rewards on Xbox One, you need to have played on the Xbox 360.

For help or assistance with Borderlands: The Handsome Collection or SHiFT, please visit http://support.gearboxsoftware.com.

You can always do more side missions and over level or play in coop.

I've done every side mission available to me. Finding it a bit easier now I've got some better weapons though.

Can anyone tell me the relevance of the colour classification of the weapons? I know it's to do with rarity but it doesn't seem to be all that indicative of quality as I'm finding green and white shields that are much better than the purple ones I have, as well as a few green and blue guns and grenades which are better than my purple and oranges.

venom2124

I've done every side mission available to me. Finding it a bit easier now I've got some better weapons though.

Can anyone tell me the relevance of the colour classification of the weapons? I know it's to do with rarity but it doesn't seem to be all that indicative of quality as I'm finding green and white shields that are much better than the purple ones I have, as well as a few green and blue guns and grenades which are better than my purple and oranges.
Lower rarity weapons quickly overtake purples and legendaries when they are more than a few levels up, especially in borderlands 2. In the first game you could find a purple or legendary and it could carry you for 20 levels. I'm noticing that you can use s lower level weapon for longer in the presequel, just not to the first game's degree. You will really see the difference between common and rare loot when you max your character. So feel free to dump stuff when you find a weapon or shield with a big stat increase.

hydruxo

Weapons in BL games are meant to only last for a couple levels before you get rid of them in favor of better stuff, so a purple level 20 gun could be less powerful than a level 25 green. For normal mode, just use whatever rarity (within reason of course) guns you want because it doesn't really matter much. If you see a gun that's a lower rarity but has better stats, use that one instead.

When you get to TVHM & then UVHM, that's when you put more focus on making sure you have weapons equal to your level. Weapons can become worthless in these games pretty quickly if you hang onto them for too long, so don't get attached to certain weapons or gear. Until you get to the max level cap, rarity isn't all that big of a deal. Just use whatever has the best stats.

Jblanks

That's because the Blue/Purple items you must've been using are well past their level, basically outleveled stuff you were using, and now you're finding loot closer to your level so it'll be better, but pbly not for long.

Did they say anything on releasing a patch on Xbox One that suppose to fix the cross save? Every time I bring in my character from The Pre-sequel I lose all my badass points and customized heads and colors.

dLMN8R

"Investigating" is a common term used by literally every software development team in the world to indicate "we know there's a problem, but we're not sure yet what's causing it, so we're trying to figure it out".

Not:

"We don't believe that there's actually a problem but I guess we'll look since so many people are complaining about it"

JoRo

A good general guide is that a green item will be one level better than it is, a blue will be two, a purple will be 3, and so forth. You're really meant to move on to better items. It's not like Diablo where you can use a legendary or rare item for a really long time.

Jblanks

A good general guide is that a green item will be one level better than it is, a blue will be two, a purple will be 3, and so forth. You're really meant to move on to better items. It's not like Diablo where you can use a legendary or rare item for a really long time.

Yup I'm learning the hard way on TVHM.

Thanks a lot to all the posters above who helped out, looks like I'm still doing a lot of learning with this game even though I feel like I'm quite far in. Glad this got a remaster because it's definitely one I regret missing the first time around.

Well, didn't get my 75 keys, badass rank, etc. for any of my imported characters. I even downloaded again to be sure. Guess that's just not gonna happen.

And now I just accidentally overwrote one of my characters, whom I'd ranked up ten levels past the cloud save. And still didn't get the loyalty stuff. Swell.

Top Bottom