• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

ParaSeoul

Bring back Prototype,Phil.
v1GBEC4AqqA7QrNET1YLY89gWMzdiPvo.png

Papacheeks

Banned
Nobody except fanboys should be happy about this.
Who needs a good product or compelling service when you can just spend hundreds of billions of dollars to essentially buy the market.

This to me is why I'm miffed. Call of duty and properties like Overwatch, diablo are good gets. But outside of call of duty nothing has set the world on fire in a while by ACTI/BLIZZARD. When Skylanders is all but dead, Spyro and crash remakes sold well, but crash 4 did not do super well. Tony hawk Remaster sold well but vangaurd under performed?

So I don't know.

But yea be nice if Microsoft figured their shit out in running studios like 343, rare, before buying up literally giant companies. ANd not Microsoft will be associated with the dumpster fire that is the Activision scandal. If I'm sony I'm laughing. Because it shows that Microsoft internally had to buy their way in, and could not fix their internal issues within how to run a gaming division.

Xyphie

If the deal goes through MS will own Battle.net, so I'm guessing they'll use that as their exclusive PC launcher going forward in lieu of Steam (and probably consolidate it into Windows App Store as their gaming branch).

I like how every generation since Xbox/PS1, either side seems to be winning

Status Quo is shit

All my favourite franchises are still Sony side (Starfield is the only M$ exclusive making me think twice)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't understand why Microsoft would restrict COD and other games to be Xbox only. They can easily have it on both platforms and rake in the money.

Starfield? Elder Scrolls? The same logic should apply to those, but they are now Xbox exclusives (or rather, prevented from being on PlayStation). The same will happen here.

Phil likes to act all "I think gamers should be able to play everything everywhere", but that's all empty PR nonsense. He can't wait to rip popular franchises from the hands of PlayStation gamers so they have to buy an Xbox instead.

Lognor

Banned
Didn't Ms for the past couple of years have marketing rights for BF?
That's not going to do anyone any good anymore. I at least expect Sony to get marketing rights to battlefield. It makes sense fit ea to partner with Sony now since they will own that market on PlayStation

Nautilus

Banned
Damn - does this mean we might actually start seeing regular Starcraft and Diablo games again? Because I'd be down for that. That's the extent of my caring about Activision Blizzard, really, aside from the odd Call of Duty campaign.

Microsoft really do mean business in the new gen, don't they. It's kind of crazy to see.
Oh yes, OH YES.

The only silver lining in this is that Starcraft might come back.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
VERY interesting move. Especially if you think about all the IP in possession combined as the basis of a streaming sub service (GP on TVs, tablets etc.).

Jebron

This honestly is the opposite of what I was hoping for with Microsoft. I would rather have them invest and grow studios organically with new IP's and experiences. I haven't played an ABK game for almost 4 years and I don't intend to play one for probably another 4. What a waste of $70B.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well if it's one thing from skimming the thread that these threads remind me of is the incessant fanboy fodder, flame bait, and trolling.

My reaction to this is much like when I read about the Bethesda purchase, this group is worth less and has less equity than they once did. I hope they manage to find the right stuff otherwise right now it just seems like a bunch of marketing and call of duty.

Funny stuff I bought from Activision Blizzard has been Diablo I own a couple of the call of duty games because I got them they're cheap on battlenet but I can't say this excites me unless you want to get into what I said before, the trolling and fodder to the end of the world.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
i reckon Take Two would cost about $30-40b. not sure sony has that kind of money to splash out.

Sony market cap: 154 billion dollars
MS market cap: 2.3 trillion dollars

I don't think Sony could afford Take Two, but perhaps Ubisoft (market cap 6.5 billion) or Square Enix (5.6 billion). But even if those companies are up for sale, MS could easily put in a higher bid. Sony cant compete financially up with the second biggest company on the planet.

Bartski

Gold Member
While I couldn't care less about CoD, Overwatch, and pretty much any other ActiBlizz franchise, Diablo 4 looks ok I guess ... this is a SEISMIC industry move by MS acquiring all those studios and franchises.

Also, leadership change means both instant public eye perception fix, as well as a get out of jail free card for the top exec team not having to clean up their shit... Has it been confirmed Kotick is leaving?

Simply AMAZING.

treemk

Banned
This to me is why I'm miffed. Call of duty and properties like Overwatch, diablo are good gets. But outside of call of duty nothing has set the world on fire in a while by ACTI/BLIZZARD. When Skylanders is all but dead, Spyro and crash remakes sold well, but crash 4 did not do super well. Tony hawk Remaster sold well but vangaurd under performed?

So I don't know.

But yea be nice if Microsoft figured their shit out in running studios like 343, rare, before buying up literally giant companies. ANd not Microsoft will be associated with the dumpster fire that is the Activision scandal. If I'm sony I'm laughing. Because it shows that Microsoft internally had to buy their way in, and could not fix their internal issues within how to run a gaming division.
I think well over 50% of the IPs they buy will end up in the dumpster. Everyone knows they have money but they have yet to prove they can foster quality creative development.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Its over for sony. 3rd party is their bread and better. To lose that is to lose their identity. Millions of PS gamers will switch over to xbox because of this. They will still do well but this is the start of their decline. I just don't see how they can compete if Microsoft are throwing 70b around and who says it's over? Clearly Microsoft can buy out the industry.
The only way for sony or nintendo to combat this ( if Xbox decided to buy every multiplatform developers to starve sony or nintendo)

Is by building more first party studios

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Man Xbox is trying hard to win this console war arent they

Buying Bethesda and Activision

Now playstation and nintendo gamers wont get those two anymore

Holy shit
Nintendo never got those games anyway other than a few old ports.

Sony on the other had will be impacted pretty badly by this.

Omegaking

Banned
Sony does not have to prove anything. They have been producing a steady stream of quality games for decades. and Just like Microsoft, they have been acquiring studios left and right. Their approach is different in that they buy studios they have synergy with. Sony does not have to purchase sega or SE because they can produce better titles in-house. but, Microsoft is starting to make really hard for me not to buy a Series X.

Top Bottom