• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

Nvzman

This is industry changing news and will set the tone for the next decade.

At this point, Sony would have to acquire Take Two or EA to compete.
Sony has the talent themselves, they don't really need an acquisition lol. That was kind of MS's issue to begin with. Before Bethesda/Acti they barely had any exclusives worth giving a shit about anymore. It was just Gears/Forza because Halo shit the bed until Infinite (which is pretty good!). I'm not really a fan of MS's strategy of buying out the competition instead of building competition themselves, but Sony is not in any imminent danger, as mentioned they have some of the most talented devs in the world making multi-million dollar games (God of War, Spider-Man, Ratchet, Wolverine, Horizon, Days Gone, Uncharted, LBP, Gran Turismo, etc).
Now would this change their strategy to start incorporating some multiplayer exclusives? Perhaps yeah, I would be down for Sony to give a good shot at reviving SOCOM or making an original multiplayer title. More competition is good, and I do hope it gets some gears turning from Sony. But this isn't nearly as big of a deal as some may think. It'll be a head turner for game pass for sure, but I highly doubt most PS5 players are going to want to spend $300 minimum + $180 a year just to play CoD on Xbox when it's likely going to be on PS5 for $70 anyway.

Also, for the children spamming the LOL reaction when I'm being rational instead of fanatical: Microsoft still develops ports of Minecraft for PlayStation and Nintendo. If you think the big seller that is CoD that costs and makes many millions of dollars is going to be Xbox exclusive, you are going to be in for a shock. They are not losing out on that money, CoD money is on a whole other level compared to anything Bethesda makes. MS did not do this deal to screw over Sony, they did it to incentivize Game Pass for themselves.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people that seem to think Actiblizz games are going to continue releasing on the PS5. When they bought Bethesda the same thing happened. A ton of people were convinced that Microsoft bought them and would continue making games for a competing platform forever.

After this deal I expect the same end result. Actiblizz games will appear on platforms that support Gamepass. The PS5 is still young and is having manufacturing shortages so Sony doesn't have the numbers they expected to at this point. This is the perfect opportunity for Microsoft to go for the throat.

MonarchJT

Banned
Who believes this lie? This ain't happening. Either the leaker is lying or Phil is lying. You don't pay $70 BILLION for AB to then release Diabo 4, COD, and the next Crash on a Playstation console.
Whichever way it goes, it's clear as day that PlayStation users will be treated as second class citizens. As a practical example just look at what happened to Psychonauts 2 .... no optimization for PS5 while for XSX we have 120fps HDR VRR and obviously higher res. And we're talking about a game that was multi-platform even before the acquisition

Papacheeks

Banned
People are so naive with this take. It's hardly a "mess", it's an extremely valuable corp with hugely valuable IP. The recent scandals are an afterthought only a niche of gamers give a shit about.

What? The whole deal that happened is in fact because of the scandal? Their stock prices plummeted, mass walk outs across all studios, tons of higher ups have left. Board partners were literally wanting Bobby to sell his remaining stocks back and be removed from the board. The whole decline of the brand has a whole lot of do with the scandal. Mainly the actual "CASH" SALE.

Bobby wanted to cash out and not be involved with this anymore.

John Wick

What was I saying just the other day about consolidation?

The gaming landscape is going to look very different in 5 years.
Basically now Amazon, Google, Apple, Sony, Nintendo and Tencent will start buying up publishers too. Sony and Nintendo will continue to make great franchises. Why waste that much money?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Expected to be finalised some time in 2023 so don’t get your panties in a twist about Activision games being on GP any time soon.

Last edited:

Gp1

Just for you guys to think.

How much of the employees/Bob Kotick frying in the media is "related" to this acquisition?

I mean... the time frame is perfect to kick Kotick away and devaluate ATVI.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It is with every other Blizzard IP under its belt. Warcraft 4, Starcraft 3, Overwatch 2, Diablo 4 are now Xbox games.
I am not confident in Blizzard's ability to deliver on these though. OW2 probably has the best shot.

WoW2 or whatever is an Xbox game.
I doubt we'll ever have a WoW2.

Crash 5, Spyro 4, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater are Xbox games.
Sure, but these franchises are strictly AA now.

GetemMa

For context fellas, the entire Market capitalization of Sony is about 155-160 billion dollars. MS total market cap is 2.5 trillion.

Sony can't afford Take Two or even EA. They just have to accept they are a boutique electronics company like Nintendo. There's nothing wrong with that. Nintendo and Sony make fantastic games. I love my Switch. But, in the near or immediate future, not having an Xbox game pass sub will leave a massive hole in your game options, this is the MS strategy. They want to be Netflix of videogames, something everyone just has.

Again, massive, industry shifting news. I really wish I could see the Sony boardroom right now. They simply cannot respond to corporate warfare on this scale. Sony has dropped a lot of big Bombas in the last 10 years. MS just unleashed a nuke.

Last edited:

Toons

hfyvlcA.jpg

Relevant

MaulerX

My problem with that is surly this means an increase in GP prices?

70bn for the initial sale, but all of these extra staff Microsoft just acquired need to be paid, a load of new offices need to be operated (utility bills, coffee machines etc), basically there a shit ton of extra costs on top of just buying all these studios.

I thought they kept Minecraft multiplatform because it would be easier to recoup the costs as the game is hugely popular on all platforms? Serious question.

Just remember they paid with cash.

This is money that was sitting in the bank somewhere collecting interest. Putting that same money into this means that it will bring them more money (Subscribers, sales, micro transactions etc...) than it would have just sitting there.

They absolutely don't have to cater to anyone to make their money. Minecraft was already multi-platform so they kept it that way. Same with Bethesda. New titles on the other hand...

My main question is this quote from the announcement
"Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward."

That sounds like they're planning on a lot of multiplatform games, but at the same time they'd be losing so much money by not using those franchises as incentive for people to get into the Xbox ecosystem or buy Game Pass. So I'm not sure if this is just the kind of vague wording they used on Bethesda, or if they're actually planning on making something like COD multiplat still. As a franchise it's far bigger than even something like Elder Scrolls 6, so I could at least somewhat understand the argument to keeping it multiplat. But either way the back catalog and future Activision/Blizzard games coming to Game Pass is the real excitement about this deal. And fingers crossed this means they decide to make more Tony Hawk games or at least a 3+4 remake

Doesn't mean much. Have Halo wars games become system sellers? Do they actually sell that much? Or are they just niche games for the average Halo fan? Starcraft was born as a RTS franchise, loved by many. I'm not saying it will happen, but that's what I would do. Let Starcraft come back from the dead and let it shine as the ultimate Sci-fi RTS franchise from Xbox.

I think at most we'd see a crossover between the games, and they'll probably continue to make both, but yeah Starcraft will be the one getting the most focus from Microsoft going forward I'd have to imagine

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I am not confident in Blizzard's ability to deliver on these though. OW2 probably has the best shot.

I doubt we'll ever have a WoW2.

You might have doubted that Microsoft would buy Actiblizz for 70 billion dollars, but here we are.

They haven't bought Actiblizz to let them continue rotting. Things are about to get shaken up and that will include a redistribution of workforce - Blizzard aren't just going to stay the same company with the same lack of talent and vision. Those IPs are incredibly valuable in the right hands. I'm not saying they can pull any of it off, but if they do, it's colossal.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For sure, just curious what it will do in terms of console sales. Will Sony people jump ship? Will they stick with Sony but also buy an XBOX console? Will these games be on PC (likely).

Peak living is having all the consoles but just not affordable for everyone. Interesting times for sure.

It'll have a sales impact, but we're talking years from now. All PS5s are still selling out right as they hit store shelves (if indeed they hit shelves at all). Modern Warfare is still coming out on PS5 this year and will likely be one of the best selling PS5 games. And of course Sony is still manufacturing PS4 because its still selling well, especially in lower income markets.

MS knows all this too, that this is a long term investment.

There are a lot of people that seem to think Actiblizz games are going to continue releasing on the PS5. When they bought Bethesda the same thing happened. A ton of people were convinced that Microsoft bought them and would continue making games for a competing platform forever.

After this deal I expect the same end result. Actiblizz games will appear on platforms that support Gamepass. The PS5 is still young and is having manufacturing shortages so Sony doesn't have the numbers they expected to at this point. This is the perfect opportunity for Microsoft to go for the throat.
Well, I think any major MP/GaaS-focused games already out on PS will continue to get support there, the way ES Online and FO '76 do currently. And any games currently on PS getting extra content will continue to get additional DLC content, same as Bethesda. I also think that any deals currently signed in terms of timed exclusivity or marketing rights with Sony will probably remain, at least for this year's releases.

After that, though? Yeah, I definitely expect all future releases to be exclusive to the Xbox platforms and PC, and GamePass of course. Damn that warchest got opened the fucc up.

SoraNoKuni

Jesus christ that's like playing monopoly at the endgame when that one nerd has all the locations.

Sony will be fine I am sure but they have to answer somehow, IDGAF about what MS has bought, I don't play those games at all. But their mainstream appeal is huge and it puts great pressure on Sony.

Remember Activision $70 billion price is only 350 times what Sony paid for Insomniac, so no reason to panic. No big deal.
I know you're trolling but it's a bit different when you consider the considerable amount of IP and prestige/heritage some of the titles have that MS have acquired here.

Fredrik

This is crazy. Absolutely crazy. Like how did this happen? When did this happen?? Didn’t they just bash them like days ago??
🤯

Top Bottom