• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

Nico_D

I see Diablo 2 (and 4) on gamepass. Good thing I didn't buy it. May take some time though even before the deal is 100% done.

Flintty

hey guys....

...turns out Bethesda was just a dress rehearsal.

Tom Hiddleston Reaction GIF
Bethesda was the attack on New York in 2012.

Acti-Blizz is Thanos landing on Earth in Infinity War and ripping the last stone out himself.

Infinity War Vision GIF
Avengers Infinity War GIF

Last edited:
Let's hope that the success of Halo Infinite and now this acquisition of Activision will not only cause a leap in quality in Call of Duty, but force Sony to create or reboot some of their Third and First Person shooters such as SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, Warhawk or even MAG. I want to see real competition again. I'm growing slightly tired of Sony only maing Third Person Adventure/RPG styled games.

octiny

Banned
People already comparing COD to Minecraft thinking Activision is not going to be PC/Xbox exclusive.

I expect them continue to support older titles & free games like Warzone just like Bethesda, unless said game was already announced as a multiplatform release and/or a exclusive deal was in place prior to MS/ACT deal closing (ala deathloop).

The only way Sony will get any of these games is if they put Gamepass on Sony consoles. However, I do expect Activision to stay multiplatform on new games up until June of next year, when the deal officially closes.

Absolutely insane deal. All them on Gamepass. Wonder who else MS is scooping up? EA or Ubi?

Raven117

Yup....this is an absolute power move that will shake up the industry for decades. BUT more than that...this is not a move against Sony. Its a move against Apple. Microsoft made this investment as to further take over the living room and the office/PC.

Jadsey

As funny as this is, I am not convinced this is a great move for MS.

It feels like a lot of their IP have been in decline for few years. Even Overwatch and Diablo seem to have taken the wrong direction.

Still, Phil is definitely swinging a biiiig dick these days. What's he gonna buy next....the moon?

kevm3

I'm very impressed with Microsoft's moves. It looked like Sony was set to dominate this gen with a strong early start on PS5, but due to the chip shortage, they haven't been able to capitalize and garner a huge lead which would let them negotiate from a strong position with 3rd parties. Sony has been buying small to mid-size studios with the exception of Insomniac, while Microsoft has been buying heavy hitter studios.

Sony seems to want to position itself as the grown-up nintendo. While I think their franchises are pretty strong, they're not Nintendo. Nintendo has the kid niche locked up and has no real competitors in that space while Sony's trying to create a niche in a space with a ton of strong competition.

Sony better buy Square or Capcom... If Microsoft beats them to owning a strong japanese studio, I'm going to say it's possibly a wrap for Sony.

Rat Rage

Provided this deal goes down...

Please someone explain to me one thing: How the fuck does Microsofts Xbox business make any sense? I mean, isn't the goal of a company to actually make money and be profitable?

If they buy them for 70 billion, then that's money that they have spent, not made (duh).

In 2021 Activion Blizzard had a net income of 639 million U.S. dollars. In order to just break even (provided Activison Blizzard continues to generate a net income of 700 million to 1 billion every year), they would need 70 years to do so.

Last edited:

GetemMa

This deal will probably make Bobby Kotick a multi billionaire. So glad we have this system that rewards our "best and most talented" several thousand times more than the people who actually create the product.

darrylgorn

It's funny watching big companies make moves like they're in a wrestling match.

Microsoft used to be heel but now they are the protagonist, saving the woke by buying up evil corporations and decapitating them lol

JLB

Banned
like Bethesda before it, I couldn’t care less about any Activision games. Haven’t bought one in ages.

So I personally don’t care, but man this is enormous and really bad for the industry.

If I’m Sony right now you have to be scared as shit. This is unprecedented levels of consolidation and borderline monopoly

Xbox is not monopoly at all, its not even the market leader. Or even the #2 for the case.
Anyways, Im on the same boat. Not a big fan of Activision games, other than Diablo.

Fiscal year 2023, so sometime between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.

Yep. That straw is going to be clutched hard in here for a while though. The wording in that internal email is very precise - don't expect it before July 1, 2022, but I'd expect this to be done in a similar time to how long Bethesda took from announcement to completion, so not long after. With the rumours of COD taking a break this year, I think PlayStation might have already served it's last tour.

I can't believe we are having the 'Starfield won't be exclusive' experience all over again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'd expect TV apps and a streaming "stick" to be announced this year, ready to bring COD into every living room via Gamepass.

kevm3

The thing is, Microsoft doesn't even have to block Call of Duty, etc. from coming to playstation. They just have to make sure they get the A version of Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, etc and PS gets the B version. Ensure Xbox gets first dibs on expansion packs, etc., while Playstation gets them months to a year later.

Fredrik

Yea, and now they're fixing them. They re-evaluated their relationship, and then bought them to change their culture.
It’s crazy, I can barely understand it. But like I said in another thread; Sony and Nintendo exclusives is pretty much the only games I need to buy now, I can play the rest dirt cheap through Gamepass 👌

Vanguard is as quality as it gets..
Absolutely not. Vanguard is shit revisionist history and the graphics are not even as good as some of their previous entries. Modern Warfare was far above the quality of Vanguard.

Infinite Warfare is probably the highest quality CoD, campaign wise, that has released since the franchise peak around Black Ops 2. Modern Warfare had high production quality for both campaign and multiplayer.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think Deadpool and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and some X-Men stuff...

Ultimate Alliance 3 was on Switch and made by Team Ninja and funded published by Nintendo? So thats out. X-men have not had a game since 360 era. So unless there's some kind of random game that came out in the last 10 years rights have most certainly reverted back to Marvel's full control. And since Wolverine has a game out I would assume if there was any chance of a x-men game from Acti wolverine would not be in the game.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Yep. That straw is going to be clutched hard in here for a while though. The wording in that internal email is very precise - don't expect it before July 1, 2022, but I'd expect this to be done in a similar time to how long Bethesda took from announcement to completion, so not long after. With the rumours of COD taking a break this year, I think PlayStation might have already served it's last tour.

I can't believe we are having the 'Starfield won't be exclusive' experience all over again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'd expect TV apps and a streaming "stick" to be announced this year, ready to bring COD into every living room via Gamepass.
fanboys did not learn a thing from Bethesda

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Xbox is not monopoly at all, its not even the market leader. Or even the #2 for the case.
Anyways, Im on the same boat. Not a big fan of Activision games, other than Diablo.

Xbox now has the #1 third party publisher, valued at 10X their previous acquisition which was the biggest one of all time at 7.5B

It’s not a monopoly but it sure as hell ain’t far removed from it given the importance of CoD, etc.

Top Bottom