• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

tommib

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate ’76
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu (legacy games)
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
World of Warcraft
Zork
Phantasmagoria 3 now!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
All that money and all those studios and still not one dev anywhere near as good as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac or Guerrilla Games, now I'm no fanboy and I'm all for seeing Xbox finally shrug off the terrible last gen stigma and come out fighting but seriously though would any of those recent acquisitions even be considered an equal to the above studios, the only one that i can think of would be I.D. software, they would certainly have the technical chops to go toe to toe.

tommib

h08PSjM.jpg

Ozriel

M$FT
All that money and all those studios and still not one dev anywhere near as good as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac or Guerrilla Games, now I'm no fanboy and I'm all for seeing Xbox finally shrug off the terrible last gen stigma and come out fighting but seriously though would any of those recent acquisitions even be considered an equal to the above studios, the only one that i can think of would be I.D. software, they would certainly have the technical chops to go toe to toe.

“I’m no fanboy but…” is always a massive red flag for an incoming fanboy post.

C’mon, man.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Just your daily reminder that GP is the platform not Xbox and you’ll be playing COD 2024 via game pass on your PS5 for a small premium on top of what you pay for it on PC/Xbox.

Sony will also do a streaming content service and you’ll pay for both and be happy about it.

Some will play on iPads, so many devices in the world removing the potential blocker of hardware is genius and has been accelerated by the pandemic.

Interesting times ahead!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
“I’m no fanboy but…” is always a massive red flag for an incoming fanboy post.

C’mon, man.
yeah reading it back it looks like i'm a raving twat... ffs, ah well... point still stands personally for me i prefer the output of each of those studios over anything ive seen MS purchase and especially Acti/Blizz, the only one i will sorely miss and will probably see me picking up a Series X Slim will be ES6 which is fucking years away tbh

Last edited:

Helghan

Insomniac and guerilla games?

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Insomniac and guerilla games?

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif
mon man... Insomniac's output is 2nd to none and the new R+C is absolutely gorgeous as for GG.. they are absolute masters when it comes to wringing every last drop out of the PS, i've been replaying ShadowFall at 60fps on the PS5.. and it still looks incredible in parts and this was a launch game for the PS4 and you cant deny Horizon looks gorgeous

TrebleShot

Will any good games come out of all this though?
I think there is enough talent and ability in these studios to continue making great games and MS essentially bought them to do that very thing. The problem is most of these studios have been making allot of money but not making anything note worthy.

Your COD, Fallout 76 and even Doom eternal have been rehashes of the previous iteration purely designed around a tried and tested gameplay loop with little to no experimentation or even level of quality to really invest in and capture their audiences imagination or excitement.

MS has a huge job on its hands turning well established and stale franchises into something exciting again.

I think they have made some huge mis steps in recent times with Halo Infinite and Horizon 5 being very similar to what we see with the studios they have acquired, where the focus has been on iterating on what came before.

There hasn’t been anything from MS similar to a Spider Man or God Of War in decades. They need to capture their audiences attention and imaginations to really push their portfolio forward and come from under Sony shadow. Throwing MORE at the process won’t improve things in that regard.

Spending 70bln and owning everything doesn’t suddenly turn Fallout 76 into Horizon Zero Dawn. If anything it will dissipate the ownership of those franchises from the devs and spreads the butter too thin so to speak.

Helghan

mon man... Insomniac's output is 2nd to none and the new R+C is absolutely gorgeous as for GG.. they are absolute masters when it comes to wringing every last drop out of the PS, i've been replaying ShadowFall at 60fps on the PS5.. and it still looks incredible in parts and this was a launch game for the PS4 and you cant deny Horizon looks gorgeous
I agree about Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, but I was never that blown away by Insomniac and Guerilla Games. They just make good games. I would still put Playground Games above both of them. But people have different tastes, as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters.

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate ’76
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu (legacy games)
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
World of Warcraft
Zork
Thanks bro!

Yoboman

I agree about Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, but I was never that blown away by Insomniac and Guerilla Games. They just make good games. I would still put Playground Games above both of them. But people have different tastes, as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters.
Your name is Helghan and you dislike Guerrilla?

After a night's sleep. This is my take on this acquisition.

This is a dead cat bounce for Xbox as hardware.

This is the beginning of MS becoming one of the gaming software giants and ultimately platform agnostic.

It won't happen overnight but I think there is a high likelihood of this happening.
So after thinking about this acquisition over night your conclusion is that MS will go the Sega route and drop out of the hardware market? I suppose at that point they'll put all their games on PlayStation one of the few places with no Game pass? I don't think you thought this all the way through.

People laughed at MS when they said their saw their main rivals as Amazon, Alphabet, and Apple. This deal shows the league MS is in and it certainly is different than Nintendo and Sony. Activision actually has a larger market cap than Nintendo. These are exciting times indeed.

Ubisoft is a steal at 7B. If Im Sony im going in hard and buying Ubisoft and Take2.

Scary to think they could of bought most of that list and still had change left over …I would of left ea and activision to be honest and picked up the rest…just the Japan studios would be a big boon in the cap

salva

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate ’76
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu (legacy games)
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
World of Warcraft
Zork
Tenchu!!!!!! pls Phil. kthxbye.

Mass Shift

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate ’76
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu (legacy games)
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
World of Warcraft
Zork
That’s an impressive list of IP.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a revival of some Sierra games either. Xbox owns all of that stuff now.

Ozriel

M$FT

So you’re basing your entire spiel on visuals alone? 😂

This is the beginning of MS becoming one of the gaming software giants and ultimately platform agnostic.

It won't happen overnight but I think there is a high likelihood of this happening.

Microsoft has been putting their games on PC, and has invested billions in server capacity to enable people stream games to mobile phones, TVs and weak computers. And you’re only just waking up to say they’ll be device agnostic? 😂

They will always make xbox console hardware. It’s a gateway to their ecosystem. But ultimately, you’re looking at a future where you’ll be able play their games on every screen you own, without having to buy an xbox. All via Gamepass.

Ozriel

M$FT
And advertising and collaboration. Their games may have flopped otherwise. Sony published the Crash and Spyro games even. I can't think of any already huge gaming franchise Sony bought. Spidey was a reboot of sorts it's not like they took Activision's Spidey games and they outdid the success of those multiplat games.

I doubt FFVII Remake and the upcoming FFXVI would have flopped if not for Sony paying money to keep the games off competing platforms.

MonarchJT

Banned

na. Xbox console is the easiest way to enter with physical hw in the Xbox platform/gamepass it will never go away or at least not as long as there are these technological limitations in streaming. think a little about surface devices and their reason for existence.

Sygma

Shame playground still haven't done better than TDU 1

oldergamer

So what does Sony do now? Buy EA and then partner with Nintendo? These questions are in response to " Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc." all coming in to make their own acquisitions. Thoughts?
Sony wouldn't be able to afford EA. They are bigger then activision with a stock price approaching $150

There is zero chance of Sony working with nintendo on anything ever again.

Sony will need to look at purchases of independent developers. Or smaller publishers.

Loope

Obsidian for me makes better game than the ones you mentioned, i'm not talking (goes without saying) about graphics only. It seems to me you only consider a good studio as one that does pretty graphics.

onesvenus

When you say "platform agnostic" do you mean by means of having Gamepass everywhere or becoming a third party?
Going third party means losing the 30% of every payment done in their console, which is a lot of money

VN1X

Banned
I get the concept of this but did a fan make this image? This is the worst one yet. Crash is in there twice? Same goes for the guy from CoD Vanguard? XGS Publishing has a badly cropped pick of what I assume is Contraband from Avalanche? The images for Playground, Roundhouse and Obsidian are also all awful lol.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Obsidian for me makes better game than the ones you mentioned, i'm not talking (goes without saying) about graphics only. It seems to me you only consider a good studio as one that does pretty graphics.
youre not the first to mention that, but c'mon man do i need to list up the scores of Spiderman, Uncharted, GOW, TLOU2, Horizon etc..

Top Bottom