• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

Godot25

Banned
What do you get from that you don’t already have?
Well. Tbh, I always saw CD working on Perfect Dark as a try-out before buyout. And I still think that Square will sell their western studios and deepen their relationship with Sony on Japanese side of Square (hence why Sony and Square made all FF games exclusive and why Forspoken has timed exclusivity)
IOI is making Project Dragon as Xbox exclusive and if game will be great I expect deal to happen
Same thing with Avalanche who is working on Contraband.

Last edited:
lbB3Z.jpg

Sonys big HD remaster for 2023 Christmas is coming

Loope

youre not the first to mention that, but c'mon man do i need to list up the scores of Spiderman, Uncharted, GOW, TLOU2, Horizon etc..
Scores? What? So if a game doesn't score like cinematic games do (all the mentioned are cinematic games) then they're not in the same bracket of quality. Ok, then, show me on any of those games where they have rpg mechanics like a game from Obsidian or transversal as a game from Arkane. To ME and many others what Obsidian brings to the table is better than any of those games, especially Horizon if you want to consider that as an RPG lite.

Arcadialane

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate ’76
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu (legacy games)
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
World of Warcraft
Zork
That's a lot of dead ips.
Can't wait for that highly anticipated Zork sequel.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Scores? What? So if a game doesn't score like cinematic games do (all the mentioned are cinematic games) then they're not in the same bracket of quality. Ok, then, show me on any of those games where they have rpg mechanics like a game from Obsidian or transversal as a game from Arkane. To ME and many others what Obsidian brings to the table is better than any of those games, especially Horizon if you want to consider that as an RPG lite.
hey we all love different games my dude i'm just mentioning that Sony's 1st party games are not only lookers they're also really fucking good to play.. also R+C & Spiderman are hardly cinematic games, neither is Horizon or God of War.. Uncharted & The last of Us, yes but the others hardly, unless any game that has a load of cut scenes is now considered a cinematic game

Banjo64

cumsessed
youre not the first to mention that, but c'mon man do i need to list up the scores of Spiderman, Uncharted, GOW, TLOU2, Horizon etc..
This is just outdated. It’s not like every Sony game is met with universal 90+ acclaim. Spider-Man (87), Miles Morales (85), Horizon (89), Death Stranding (82) and Ghost of Tsushima (83).

Modern Microsoft have shown they will also be able to release highly acclaimed games like Ori (88/92), Flight Sim (90), Halo Infinite (87), Deathloop (88), Forza Horizon 5 (92) and Psychonauts 2 (87).

Like come on, seriously. The way some of you go on every Sony game is a flawless 100/100 and every Xbox game is a 3/100. It’s embarrassing.

Helghan

Your name is Helghan and you dislike Guerrilla?
Nice catch, I don't dislike Guerilla, I actually think they are pretty good, but I'm saying there are studios better than them. Great choice to step away from the killzone franchise, and go for HZD

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
FJaeEBAWQAQvPoo

When These studios starts firing games. Sony wont be able to keep up.

All thanks to

4dVOD-YbpUXNIF5VBbrGq_-enCz8FcG_K_3e5XlUD7k.png
For fun, since I am THE video game expert y'all.

From left to right.
First Row - Halo, Atriox, no idea, crash, prey?, no idea, no idea, psychonauts, vanguard, doom, cod, stalker?, crash again?, bad wolfenstein, minecraft, hellblade
2nd row - no idea, no idea, no idea, cod?, no idea, cod again?, no idea, bad gears of war, no idea, spyro, cod again?, no idea, no idea, age of empires?, no idea, no idea.

wow, I am trash

Last edited:
For fun, since I am THE video game expery y'all.

From left to right.
First Row - Halo, Atriox, no idea, crash, prey?, no idea, no idea, psychonauts, vanguard, doom, cod, stalker?, crash again?, bad wolfenstein, minecraft, hellblade
2nd row - no ide, no idea, no idea, cod?, no idea, cod again?, no idea, bad gears of war, no idea, spyro, cod again?, no idea, no idea, age of empires?, no idea, no idea.

wow, I am trash
I agree with the part of your post which said you're trash

:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Mess

Tbh I don't get how anyone but the worst fanboys can see the ongoing consolidation like a good thing.

That being said this might be an exception and it will be interesting to see how this will turn out. CoD and candy crush are their own thing that are doing well but Blizzard is shell of its former self. If MS fires every single Blizz employees and gives the franchises they just acquired to studios who can actually make good games it'll be a win for gamers...

For fun, since I am THE video game expert y'all.

From left to right.
2nd row - no idea, no idea, no idea, cod?, no idea, cod again?, no idea, bad gears of war, no idea, spyro, cod again?, no idea, no idea, age of empires?, no idea, no idea.

wow, I am trash
Aww

Love the salt in this post

Twinblade

Actually, they can afford it lol you people don’t know how business, merge and acquisitions works. even if they didn’t have hard cash (they do), they can get credit for those acquisitions lmao it makes me chuckle everytime an armchair fórum executive talk about these things.

Take two is going to be worth around 28 billion.

reksveks

For fun, since I am THE video game expery y'all.

From left to right.
2nd row - no ide, no idea, no idea, cod?, no idea, cod again?, no idea, bad gears of war, no idea, spyro, cod again?, no idea, no idea, age of empires?, no idea, no idea.

wow, I am trash
Missed two

1st row, Halo, Some Mobile Game ??, Redfall, Crash, Starfield, Diablo, ,Psychonaut, Vanguard, Doom, COD, Wastle, Crash Run, Wolfenstien, Minecraft, Hellblade
2nd row, Avowed, Fable, Everwild, COD, ??, COD, Ghostwire Tokyo, Gears, Perfect Dark, Spyro, COD, Forza Motorsport, State of Decay, AOE, Contraband, Elder Scrolls Online

abcdrstuv

Banned
Is there any "dark horse" from outside the gaming world who could grab up EA/Ubisoft/Take Two? You'd be the largest third-party publisher in console gaming immediately

im surprised facebook havent joined in the fray
I think to an extent they're happy to lay the groundwork for this VR metaverse, sit back and rake in the cash from other devs scrambling to create content for their platform. No need to buyout studios when everyone will want a slice of the Metaverse pie.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Will be great if Microsoft go ahead and acquire EA/Ubisoft/Take Two to bring some competition. Lots of people STILL don't care about Microsoft, so they should continue pursuing more talents to even the balance.

Competition is good for the industry, so if they goes under Microsoft, everyone will benefit.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I actually was waiting on Diablo IV for PC so this doesn’t change that and I also enjoy Heroes of the Storm…. Casually. The big picture in my opinion is this move is bad for all gamers in general. I don’t care if you own one or all consoles and a pc. The whole it’s good for game pass is also a very iffy argument. Not going to get into a debate about the condition of games rushed out as a service. How and why is this bad? Monopolistic business practices. Ms is putting gamers in a position where if you want a certain gaming experience you have to buy into their service. Say you don’t want game pass and the only game you play is CoD but you only own a Sony console. (These gamers exist) Microsoft could as an example release CoD warzone only on game pass and no where else.

What’s worse is that this isn’t the end it’s only the beginning. No idea what other companies will be bought up but it’s starting to look like MS intends to pull s Disney in the gaming space. If this happens expect Japanese companies to be lured in to Sony only deals for the foreseeable future. That’s not good for anyone either just what it looks like is headed our way.

BigLee74

Suddenly, people like CoD again huh?.....

Immaterial. The game is an unstoppable juggernaut. It’s the perfect pick up and play shooter when you have a spare 30 minutes. Nothing else compares or lasts.

I hate this years COD (compared to others), but have still put more hours into it than anything else. And I will buy next years regardless. I am thinking I am not alone in this behaviour!

Exclusive COD would be a huge system seller, no doubt about it.

What I will say about this acquisition though is that I have gone from humming and hawing over maintaining a Gamepass subscription when it jumps to full price, to a resounding ‘yes’. The value would most definitely be there.

This is just outdated. It’s not like every Sony game is met with universal 90+ acclaim. Spider-Man (87), Miles Morales (85), Horizon (89), Death Stranding (82) and Ghost of Tsushima (83).

Modern Microsoft have shown they will also be able to release highly acclaimed games like Ori (88/92), Flight Sim (90), Halo Infinite (87), Deathloop (88), Forza Horizon 5 (92) and Psychonauts 2 (87).

Like come on, seriously. The way some of you go on every Sony game is a flawless 100/100 and every Xbox game is a 3/100. It’s embarrassing.
Absolutely destroyed this cretin with one post 👏

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I think to an extent they're happy to lay the groundwork for this VR metaverse, sit back and rake in the cash from other devs scrambling to create content for their platform. No need to buyout studios when everyone will want a slice of the Metaverse pie.
did you see theye attempts at building a world.. those lads could probably do with a few game devs with experience in building proper digital worlds tbh

did you see theye attempts at building a world.. those lads could probably do with a few game devs with experience in building proper digital worlds tbh
When you're as large as Facebook/Meta, I think to a certain degree you're already snapping up some of the brightest and best talent on an individual level as opposed to wholesale studio purchases.

It's going to be a tough ask of them to have everything be fleshed out and cutting edge on day one, but I've no doubt the teams they're building for this stuff will be best in class.

FR1908

I get the concept of this but did a fan make this image? This is the worst one yet. Crash is in there twice? Same goes for the guy from CoD Vanguard? XGS Publishing has a badly cropped pick of what I assume is Contraband from Avalanche? The images for Playground, Roundhouse and Obsidian are also all awful lol.
One is Team Racing and the other for the platform genre. Both different studios.

KAL2006

Banned
I think if I were Microsoft I'd go for the killing blow. COD is the atomic bomb, but there are still a few people who will stick to Sony for JRPGs, fighters and other unique games. It's in Microsofts interest now that they own the bug guns like COD, to just go after that hardcore PlayStation audience that are into games like Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and etc. Basically make it hard to avoid Xbox as a big Sony fan and go after those specific tastes in games.

KAL2006

Banned
I actually was waiting on Diablo IV for PC so this doesn’t change that and I also enjoy Heroes of the Storm…. Casually. The big picture in my opinion is this move is bad for all gamers in general. I don’t care if you own one or all consoles and a pc. The whole it’s good for game pass is also a very iffy argument. Not going to get into a debate about the condition of games rushed out as a service. How and why is this bad? Monopolistic business practices. Ms is putting gamers in a position where if you want a certain gaming experience you have to buy into their service. Say you don’t want game pass and the only game you play is CoD but you only own a Sony console. (These gamers exist) Microsoft could as an example release CoD warzone only on game pass and no where else.

What’s worse is that this isn’t the end it’s only the beginning. No idea what other companies will be bought up but it’s starting to look like MS intends to pull s Disney in the gaming space. If this happens expect Japanese companies to be lured in to Sony only deals for the foreseeable future. That’s not good for anyone either just what it looks like is headed our way.

Very true remember not long ago Microsoft tried to increase the price of Gold substantially

Godot25

Banned
Provided this deal goes down...

Please someone explain to me one thing: How the fuck does Microsofts Xbox business make any sense? I mean, isn't the goal of a company to actually make money and be profitable?

If they buy them for 70 billion, then that's money that they have spent, not made (duh).

In 2021 Activion Blizzard had a net income of 639 million U.S. dollars. In order to just break even (provided Activison Blizzard continues to generate a net income of 700 million to 1 billion every year), they would need 70 years to do so.
It's not that hard to understand.

Current inflation is pretty bad. That means that Microsoft's cash reserve (aprox. 137 billion dollars) is actually loosing value. So they need to spend that money and faster they can spend it the better. That's why whole deal is in cash.
Microsoft shareholders does not care about money that are in their bank accounts. They care about stock prices and by buying Activision Blizzard you are increasing value of your company which will result in growth of Xbox business in future and by that growth of Microsoft as a whole.

You think that Call of Duty will be still using AWS for their internet infrastructure? Nope, they will migrate to Azure, same as every other Acti-Blizz game. Microsoft is also playing against Sony. GamePass with Call of Duty games will be huge boon that will convince many people to switch consoles and they will actively spend inside Microsoft ecosystem and by that they will bring additional revenue. Same for Overwatch 2, Diablo IV and many future games. And there is also Tencent that invested in 120 companies last year alone. They will be huge force in future a Microsoft has to be prepared for that.

KAL2006

Banned
To make GamePass look like a better option, which it is.

How is Gamepass a better option for someone who only plays maybe 1 or 2 games a year. That person rather just buy COD pay for Gold and resell COD once the next one comes out. That person paying for Gamepass will end up spending more money. And this is Gamepass now what about when price of Gamepass increases.

Top Bottom