• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

DJ12

Yeah, they want it all platforms, thre defintion of "console" when talking about gamepass does not include the PS5.

And sony dont want gamepass on the systems because it takes away spending from there games and services.

They are still competitors.
Microsoft have already asked to have GamePass on PlayStation.

Microsoft definition of "console" will absolutely included PS5 when Sony lets them in.

Listen to the words that are coming out of Phils mouth. "GamePass exclusive" or "Platform exclusive" etc. when was the last time you actually heard him say xbox exclusive? He knows what they want and is not opening them up for class action lawsuits from the butthurt masses.

Withnail

And they are still gonna keep Destiny multi-platform? I can understand Call of Duty because it generates so much money, but Destiny?

I assume this is because of the eventual Destiny 3, they want that as a massive exclusive PS5 franchise, I assume.

Sony is about that IP growth. A Destiny TV show or movie will be announced soon I bet.

rofif

Banned
This is a bargaining chip. Both Sony and Ms are saying they will keep CoD and Destiny multiplatform but behind the scenes both know what this is.

they dont make shooters. This is about the FPS userbase. A direct reply to CoD.

Buying capcom or from software wont help them retain the CoD userbase thats about ready to leave in droves.
no way this is direct reply.
These deals take YEARS to do. YOu can't react within a month.

And bungie make games with off center crosshair - unplayable :(

ACESHIGH

Banned
But I thought Sony sheltered orphans and taught them how to code... Organic growth right?

All these acquisitions suck for everyone. The only one acquisition that would be beneficial for ALL GAMERS it's Konami since they are doing jack shit with their IPs

I guess they got one of the best FPS studios for this price, and since it's GAAS it makes great money. The remaining best non Microsoft FPS studios are pretty much all locked under EA, Tencent, or Epic which are likely out of Sony's league for acquisitions. I do feel like this an overpay, since they are pretty much just one dev studio and a single IP. Since they are private there is no good way of knowing their revenue/profits, but they do have a pretty huge playerbase

Sony is about that IP growth. A Destiny TV show or movie will be announced soon I bet.
A destiny show is definitely on its way, I think that was kind of hinted at by Bungie in terms of taking their IP to other media.

Relationship with Sony Pictures makes that really easy to do.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
MbUs6ZR.jpg
I lold
Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

Swift_Star

Banned
So you're saying Bungie with only Destiny is a better acquisition than Activision Blizzard, with Wow, Diablo, starcraft, call of duty, crash, spyro and so on and so on.

images

I know there's a hell of a price in difference, but we all know which of these are the price cows that's actually will get their moneys worth lol.
Not saying it’s a better A/B since they’re unrelated. That’s clearly why you’re not a CEO.

yurinka

I'd have prefered Capcom (+Dimps), Sega and/or Kadokawa (or to buy them FromSoft). If they continue buying big let's hope they go in this way, but I don't think won't be the case. I think they'll go back to smaller acquisitions.

I know they made Halo and that Destiny performed great, but I think that they only have the Destiny IP. So I think they are heavily overpriced unless they have multiple unannounced new IPs with stunning potential.

M16

this is fuckin great for microsoft though. they can now buy take two or ea without impunity and without regulators breathing down their neck.

Bungie doesn't give you the baggage you get from buying Activision.

Huge difference between 70 billion and 3.6 billion and Bungie absolutely has the ability to create a game that breaks into CoD's market share. CoD has no competitors, but with Bungie Sony can probably give them 400-500 million dollars to make their CoD competitor. And then it makes sense to keep it multiplatform to get as much return as possible.

The fact the people's 360s kept breaking and they kept just buying a new one instead of switching to ps3 says it all.

giphy.gif

I had to replace more PS2s just out of warranty than All Xbox consoles I've owned combined. I didn't switch to something else, I actually just stopped playing video games for a few years thanks to just how shitty the PS2 was. I had an RROD X360 which was replaced in 3 days and still works today. While MS extended the warranty to three years Sony told me to eat shit every time.

Maybe people kept replacing the X360 because it had a good library of games.

nikolino840

And they are still gonna keep Destiny multi-platform? I can understand Call of Duty because it generates so much money, but Destiny?

I assume this is because of the eventual Destiny 3, they want that as a massive exclusive PS5 franchise, I assume.
Yeah but a Sony pr called Microsoft to ask to keep cod multiplaform
If you want to receive you have to give

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
"They will remain independent and multiplatform".

Good. Destiny fans on Xbox don't have to worry. That's the way this should be.

If thats the case the must be other benifits to ps gamers, probably free perks with Spartacus. Otherwise people say the same claims that were targeted towards Microsoft, that why stop being a multiplat publisher with one game, why not make Uncharted, Spiderman multiplatform etc!

MrMephistoX

I LOLed reading the headline not gonna lie. Have to wonder if they hated working for MS and Activision so much that they made the first move?

Edit: loled auto corrected to liked 😢

Last edited:
Hope this means that Bungie will stop treating its playerbase like shit. Bring back the vaulted content they stole from us.

Thus deal for Bungie makes me feel really bad for Insomniac.

3.6B isn't that much. Considering the current market for studios and the rev that Destiny 2 makes (and their top-tier experience in GaaS which Sony lacked). Plus I'm sure they showed something behind closed doors which have bumped that figure up further...

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
this is fuckin great for microsoft though. they can now buy take two or ea without impunity and without regulators breathing down their neck.
Actually could work the other way around. Regulators may not like that the Microsoft intent to purchase Activision may have set off an acquisition spree by rivals to further consolidate the industry. Especially if there are more purchases after this by Microsoft. Either way, US regulators can't stop the acquisitions, they can only sue to stop them. Not sure how the EU works though.

kevm3

Should have gottenI guess they feel they need an exclusive fps for sony, but they should have bought square, konami or capcom instead

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not saying it’s a better A/B since they’re unrelated. That’s clearly why you’re not a CEO.
Explain me in a big long, detailed post, so I can understand it.

If you give me the "I don't want to waste my time on it", then yeah..
Shouldn't have posted at all then.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Microsoft have already asked to have GamePass on PlayStation.

Microsoft definition of "console" will absolutely included PS5 when Sony lets them in.

Listen to the words that are coming out of Phils mouth. "GamePass exclusive" or "Platform exclusive" etc. when was the last time you actually heard him say xbox exclusive? He knows what they want and is not opening them up for class action lawsuits from the butthurt masses.
Did Phil actually say he would like Gamepass on PlayStation?

A quote would ve appreciated.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

More PC and mobile coming.
Not according to Bungie. To have any chance to recoup the Sony investment Bungie will have to stay multiplatform for years.
Yup.

As armchair critics of MS deals would calculate: that's a lot of Destiny 2 DLC and mtx needed to pay off $3.6 billion!

Lemme do some math..... Wow. Bungie is worth 15x Insomniac studios whoc got bought out at $230M!

Sony: "Microsoft give us call of duty after 2023!"
Spencer: "lol nope we have the most popular fps now"
Sony: "that's it, we bought Bungie! Now hand over call of duty or we won't release destiny 3 on xbox!"
Spencer:
maxresdefault.jpg

Man, what a weird flex and move. I would rather save up to buy something worth y money rather than waste it on a developer that hasn't been shined since last time they made games for Microsoft.

Eating up the scraps.
Its not a flex. If you don't buy devs that want to be acquired, your opponent will. Do you want an industry where Microsoft owns every dev but those currently under Sony studios? In the last year Microsoft has proven they want to own as many studios as they can. At this point if Sony doesn't aquire those studios that are up for sale, Microsoft will. It seems pretty simple to me.

To everyone saying this is such a weird buy....would you rather microsoft buy them? That's the alternative. Everything is exclusive to gamepass. I have gamepass and I can see why Sony can't just let Microsoft buy everyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom