• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie announces Latin/a/e/o/x @ Bungie, gets ratio'd to high heaven by actual latinos, attempts to silence detractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoukGalaxy

how high wtf GIF

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I had someone on Twitter a few days ago tell me it's the right wing rhetoric. People really don't understand what that word means do they?

That's why I don't even use it. The older terms for these people such as "crazy" and "delusional" work just fine. I just say mentally ill. That's what I consider people who think they can warp/alter reality and expect others to conform just to make them feel better.

Last edited:
From what I gathered, Spanish is a language that refers to its speakers/residents as Latina or Latino - strictly gendered. This is just the way the language works. Actual spanish speakers call out Bungie, full of "priviledged white men/women/others" who use the west coast vernacular to remove the gendered connotations by referring to them as Latinx/e/z.

Essentially white people trying to virtue signal without understanding history, context, or the language itself and trying to push themselves as the arbiters of moral truth/justice while actual native speakers and folks they are trying to appeal to calling them out on their BS.
Interesting. I knew about the first two, just not the rest and had to look them up. Not that I have a stake in this it's nice to learn a bit more about it.

Unknown?

I'm Hispanic and luckily, no one has described me as Latinx...yet. The Spanish language is rooted on the use of masculine and feminine versions of words. The people trying to push this Latinx vocabulary are essentially telling us that our language needs improvement. Fuck them.

Mood Kiki GIF by Kiana Ledé
If you've read 1984 or the communist manifesto, you'll know exactly why they're trying to change language.

Pejo

It's just pure narcissism. Thinking that they should speak for the Hispanic community, or that their terms and motives are more important and 'better' than what even the people involved want.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Don't ever follow an ideology folks,use your brains to see the world around you and act in accordance with your own(hopefully sound)morality......or you'll end up like a US game developer,lol.
This goes against so many religions though.

Not this crap again. Latinos and Latinas do not use that stupid word. In fact, we dislike it. Whenever this word is brought up, it becomes a heated discussion because of the fact that most of us feel that this word is being forced on Latinos. These damn companies and hiring "experts" that end up give them wrong information.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Bn6JBgR.png

They've hid several comments on the tweet in an attempt to silence some folks, but it seems they gave up and just let the post fester like a pile of dog shit that they didn't have the decency to clean up.

I remember them making a Black @ Bungie thing a few years ago as well, but latinos aren't taking this one lying down, because this madness needs to stop. The word is LATINO or LATINA. If they want to respect our culture, then respect our language FFS!

F7hJSeTXsAAdFq_

This will probably get locked but whatever, I thought this was hilarious.

Actually, in English it would be just "Latin" as in our heritage comes from Latin America, of which none of us would refer to each other as such, given that Latin America has 21 individual countries, each with distinct histories and cultures. Morons!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
why can't companies simply stop doing this stuff? why? when it's fucking guaranteed to backfire every fucking time? why?...
Because some political asshead will look at demographic rates and convince execs if they pander some nonsense they could get an extra 2% sales being a friend of the community. This of course assumes the other 98% don’t mind.

Looks like some marketing and PR managers still didn’t hear about the Bud Light incident.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The funny thing is whenever you see these kinds of corporate pandering based off gender or racial background stuff you can bet your mortgage the company doing it has an employee pool the exact opposite of what it’s trying to promote. They just hope nobody digs into their corporate demographics.

I bet Bungie as a company has hardly any Latino people and most people are straight.

phant0m

Incase anyone isn't aware. Just like the meme above, actual Hispanics hate this shit.
Yup. If I was Latino I’d find it pretty insulting because it’s basically saying “your language is gendered and that’s bad. Your language is bad, let us fix it for you”

I’d tell them to fuck ALL the way off and get a new hobby.

Moneal

Yup. If I was Latino I’d find it pretty insulting because it’s basically saying “your language is gendered and that’s bad. Your language is bad, let us fix it for you”

I’d tell them to fuck ALL the way off and get a new hobby.
yep literally white savior complex shit.

Poplin

lets not speak for all hispanics/latin american people. younger folks are embracing and pushing forward the usage of latine, especially in the LATAM region. Im very active in the space, have been part of multiple non profits as well as active in social advocacy; let me tell you there is a lot more groundswell for latine than you may hear.

Its mostly older latin american folks that get mad about latinx/latine; similar to older americans who also hate the idea of inclusive language for non binary folks. I dont get the outrage, latino is still there, no one is saying not to use it, but if folks identify with latine instead, why gatekeep?

West coast liberalism is a weird tribal disease. I live in Portland and everyone talks like this, and every white person thinks they are being inclusive, even when they are just trying to force their silly way of thinking on others. I recently wore a Chinese style shirt to work because it was the Chinese mid-autumn festival and you are supposed to wear certain colors. In our daily standup meeting a co-worker (white woman of course) said that I was appropriating Chinese culture and that I should be ashamed. I told her it was a gift from my Chinese parents-in-law and that our whole family was wearing similar celebratory style clothes for the first day of the Mid-autumn festival. It's so ridiculous how uneducated virtue signalling ideas can spread among people who are so small minded.

Haha, Now I'm just ranting.....
Fuck the west Coast liberals. I'm living here as well and everyday I hate hypocrisy more and more.

Fucking mayor came to work site the other day giving a speech about how beautiful the city is, in reality the next day at the exact place some druggies stole the bike of my colleague who just moved here two weeks ago.

Can't leave the cesspool just yet because of family, and visa stuff. But I will as soon as I can.

Papa_Wisdom

Sorry but 99.9% of actual hispanics/latinos think this is bullshit, I am one of them. Outside of the US, actual hispanics and latinos are laughing in the faces of these American woke idiots as this is pure nonsense and actually offensive. Who are these fools to define how/what our culture should be like? In our culture, there are "feminine" and "masculine" endings to our words in Spanish, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "patriarchy" or suppressing women or misogyny, etc... it's just the way the Spanish language is constructed and it's important to understand the reasons for its existence as it is ... it's been that way since the language existed as we know it today....

American wokeists are so fucking stupid it's nauseating.
I had no idea what I was reading until you explained it so many thanks, I think I get it now. From the U.K. here and I’ve never heard of it. Whether that’s a thing here I’m not sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's just pure narcissism. Thinking that they should speak for the Hispanic community, or that their terms and motives are more important and 'better' than what even the people involved want.
yep literally white savior complex shit.
That’s tech companies for ya. Always first in line playing the political card. Hell, they got to since the majority of their employee pool will be white guys. So got to deflect any potential criticism with some PR.

This shit is stupid and annoying and I'm not even Latino.

I thought this shit died years ago with public backlash. Why is Bungie still trying to bring this shit back when it offends so many people?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry but 99.9% of actual hispanics/latinos think this is bullshit, I am one of them. Outside of the US, actual hispanics and latinos are laughing in the faces of these American woke idiots as this is pure nonsense and actually offensive. Who are these fools to define how/what our culture should be like? In our culture, there are "feminine" and "masculine" endings to our words in Spanish, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "patriarchy" or suppressing women or misogyny, etc... it's just the way the Spanish language is constructed and it's important to understand the reasons for its existence as it is ... it's been that way since the language existed as we know it today....

American wokeists are so fucking stupid it's nauseating.
French language is the exact same. Masculin and feminine classifications.

How come nobody has tried messing with French language. But Latinx is open season for changing?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Middle-upper class liberal white women or men making shit up as usual xD fucking clowns dont have real problems, whoever use these terms is just retarded period

As a Hispanic, these white leftists who push this shit can go fuck their mothers.

That's one of the fallacies I see people relying on to criticize DIE, that it's only white people pushing it. It's not. We should attack the idea for its own shittiness, not based on who does or does not support it. We're one step away falling into the traps of race-based thinking when we criticize ideas in this way.

Dane

French language is the exact same. Masculin and feminine classifications.

How come nobody has tried messing with French language. But Latinx is open season for changing?
Because the Latino population is much bigger than the french descendant ones, so they think they're catering to the second biggest group in USA, except that they despise it hardcore, french people would have the same disgust, in fact, in France outside of the economic ideology, they're very politically incorret.

Last edited:
Trying to change a fundamentally gendered language because it offends you is just another form of colonialism.
Check this out:

English FA fined a silly foreign person for using their own barbaric language with their own friends. Ugh!

All of the 'highbrow' British press supported this move, btw.

GutsOfThor

That's one of the fallacies I see people relying on to criticize DIE, that it's only white people pushing it. It's not. We should attack the idea for its own shittiness, not based on who does or does not support it. We're one step away falling into the traps of race-based thinking when we criticize ideas in this way.

If Hispanics are pushing this shit than they can open a can of Chenga tu Madre as well. I've never seen ANY Latino say this shit except on TV and it made my whole family and I cringe lol

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The sad thing about this is that someone is getting paid a 6 figure salary for it. That could be another creative/dev/producer on the team that can help create a game.

Feels a little late to the corporate DEI party.

I've literally got people in my company that are the heads of DEI groups and they act like they're the CEO...up until the moment they get shitcanned after a bad quarter.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
If Hispanics are pushing this shit than they can open a can of Chenga tu Madre as well. I've never seen ANY Latino say this shit except on TV and it made my whole family and I cringe lol
I don't have any specific examples but it's definitely been pushed by Hispanic professors/authors, as well as other non-whites. To call it a white concept is misleading. It likely originates from Hispanic DEI professors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom