• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
FinFan said:
If they make a "Halo" game that you do not play as a Spartan, the general Halo fan base will be livid. There was a huge backlash against playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2 and his game play and physics were practically identical. If you were to play as an underpowered ODST, I would expect a similar fan reaction.

I think you're misreading the reaction. Some fans didn't like playing Halo 2 as the Arbiter because they see the Chief as the central character. If this new game/expansion isn't centered around the Chief (which it probably isn't), I don't think fans will care like they did. It's all about setting expectations.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FinFan said:
If they make a "Halo" game that you do not play as a Spartan, the general Halo fan base will be livid. There was a huge backlash against playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2 and his game play and physics were practically identical. If you were to play as an underpowered ODST, I would expect a similar fan reaction.

Arbiter backlash was more about the direction the story took. For all intents and purposes, the gameplay was identical. Bungie isn't going to bait and switch. You'll know what type of game you're going to be getting before you plunk down your monies.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:
So why an expansion? To set expectations. This is not going to be a whole new game engine like Halo 2 was compared to Halo 1, and ditto for Halo 3. There's not going to be a ton of new innovations, like each sequel had over the previous in the Halo series.

It's an expansion because it's using the same engine as Halo 3, with similar features, and that's it. Sure, it's a new game. It might be 3rd person. Who knows how it's going to be released - on disc, DLC, or both. But they called it was it is - an expansion and not a sequel.
Spot on.

Falagard

FinFan said:

I disagree. Particularly if they would have clearly presented it as a new game. Now that they've presented it as an expansion of some sort, it makes me think that we're going to see something pretty similar to Halo 3's game play.

I'm going to keep saying it has been presented as an expansion because the teaser showed "Halo 3" multiple times. It's been presented as an expansion, so it makes me think we're not going to see something truly different than the regular Halo game play.

Here's what I'm guessing we'll see in this new game - based solely on the fact that the game has been presented as an expansion:

1. First person shooter
2. No cover mechanics.
3. Health packs and/or health recovery.
4. Shorter jumping

If health recovery, it won't come back as quickly as shields, but will still recover over a few seconds if you don't get hit, similar to Call of Duty, Gears of War, etc. What this essentially means is that you'll need to be a bit more cautious when fighting, take cover, etc. I still don't think we'll see cover mechanics and instead I mean "take cover" in the same way as you do in Call of Duty - hide behind something and duck.

Besides that it will be very similar to Halo, in my opinion. I'd love for it to be completely different - for them to use this opportunity to reset the franchise for a new type of game play, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

I'm waiting to see what the game is like just like everybody else. If it ends up at the Tokyo Game Show we'll be finding out soon enough.

That's my predictions.

Dirtbag

FinFan said:

I think it will be quite the opposite. I think introducing more lead spartans to be a mistake and marginalizes the chief's uniqueness / abilities. The chief's main draw is that everyone around him takes note of his singular presence. I'd much rather play as an underpowered ODST that will at least require a different approach to tackling the same enemy types (sort of how the skulls really turned campaign on it's ear).

I think the biggest letdown would be to play as ODST's that handle exactly like the chief / elites to the T, because they would break the fiction and even further marginalize the chief's bad-assery. At least a team of new spartans wouldn't take away from the overall power of being a spartan like an ODST team has the potential to do. Joe six pack won't notice any of this and enjoy blowing shit up, but the hardcore fans of the fiction will care.

Whatever happens, fans/foes will bitch. It's a staple of the series. :lol

clashfan

Falagard said:
I disagree. Particularly if they would have clearly presented it as a new game. Now that they've presented it as an expansion of some sort, it makes me think that we're going to see something pretty similar to Halo 3's game play.

I'm going to keep saying it has been presented as an expansion because the teaser showed "Halo 3" multiple times. It's been presented as an expansion, so it makes me think we're not going to see something truly different than the regular Halo game play.

Here's what I'm guessing we'll see in this new game - based solely on the fact that the game has been presented as an expansion:

1. First person shooter
2. No cover mechanics.
3. Health packs and/or health recovery.
4. Shorter jumping

I would be disappointed if what you say is true but I believe you are right...

FinFan

I mostly agree with all of your responses. I think the biggest problem is trying to wrap my head around the statement of "New" and the "Halo 3" references. If the game play is essentially the same as Halo 3, then it isn't new. Furthermore, if it's a totally new game play "experience" why have it say "Halo 3" instead of just "Halo"?

Dirtbag

FinFan said:
I mostly agree with all of your responses. I think the biggest problem is trying to wrap my head around the statement of "New" and the "Halo 3" references. If the game play is essentially the same as Halo 3, then it isn't new. Furthermore, if it's a totally new game play "experience" why have it say "Halo 3" instead of just "Halo"?

The wording of "Experience" over "Expansion" or even "Episode" could be misleading.
Of course since we don't know where it's leading us yet, it can't very well be misleading us just yet.

The whole thing reeks of marketing speak to me though, and trying to find the most interesting way of saying "halo 3:Episode 1" meaning Halo3 dlc campaign expansion. If that's all this ends up being, then someone's choice of saying 'experience' over 'expansion' was poorly thought out (or well thought out and kind of a dirty move given the established vocabulary of the industry). I don't like the mystery surrounding what this thing technically is, I don't mind the mystery around the story itself though. This combined with the initial stalled reveal has made me one frustrated individual with unrealistic expectations (all the while excited to play it of course).

FinFan said:

In my mind "new" doesn't have to mean "new gameplay"... it can mean new situations, new story, new characters, new levels... it doesn't automatically translate to a completely different gameplay experience.

FinFan

wayward archer said:
In my mind "new" doesn't have to mean "new gameplay"... it can mean new situations, new story, new characters, new levels... it doesn't automatically translate to a completely different gameplay experience.

They describe it has a "New Campaign Experience". I think it would take more than new levels and such to back up that statement. But like Dirtbag said it could just be bad marketing speak.

GhaleonEB

FinFan said:
They describe it has a "New Campaign Experience". I think it would take more than new levels and such to back up that statement. But like Dirtbag said it could just be bad marketing speak.
I think Dirtbag is on to something. What makes me question how "new" that experience will be is that Bungie is branding it as part of Halo 3. The trailer ends with the "Halo 3" splash. That right there sets certain expectations. "Experience" as used on the Marketplace description is Microsoft marketing speak. See: "New Xbox Experience" for the dashboard overhaul in November. It's their marketing buzzword of the moment, and since they're the publisher I'm not surprised to see it used.

It's Halo 3, it's a campaign expansion. If that translates to a new genre such as 3rd person, I'll be surprised. I'm expecting tweaked sandbox (Halo 1 pistol as Cocop mentioned) and some new gameplay mechanics, but not anything too dramatic. It's still going to be Halo.

clashfan

GhaleonEB said:
..."Experience" as used on the Marketplace description is Microsoft marketing speak. See: "New Xbox Experience" for the dashboard overhaul in November. It's their marketing buzzword of the moment, and since they're the publisher I'm not surprised to see it used...

But the NXE is a complete overhaul of the GUI so maybe...

Nicktals

Banned
This OP sucks. I just want the facts. What does the topic mean? New campaign experience? What? I don't play Halo, I don't like FPS', but I would like to stay abreast as to what's going on...So what's going on? What does the title mean? Is it going to be DLC expansion or something? New missions? Or don't people know yet?

Oozer3993

GhaleonEB said:
Halo Kart confirmed.

Super Bombad Halo Racing.

Nicktals said:
This OP sucks. I just want the facts. What does the topic mean? New campaign experience? What? I don't play Halo, I don't like FPS', but I would like to stay abreast as to what's going on...So what's going on? What does the title mean? Is it going to be DLC expansion or something? New missions? Or don't people know yet?

Only Bungie knows right now and they haven't said anything yet. The trailer and the Marketplace description are the only concrete things we have to go on as far as gameplay goes.

I still think its bullshit, even after E3, Bungie did all that teasing for a FUCKING TEASER. The least they could do is give some added explaination as to what the teaser was actually for.

I think they're setting up a lot of people for disappointment, the more I think about it the more it makes sense, that this new thing is going to be nothing more than added levels without much else changed. It would explain why they didn't want to show gameplay. I mean if it was something marginally new or even if it was 3rd person they would want to show a snippet of gameplay. I bet the keep a shroud on this thing for as long as possible so it keeps people interested.

If we all knew it was just a few more campaign levels in the same old Halo 3 engine we would be moving onto the next topic.

GhaleonEB

Nicktals said:
This OP has all of the available information in it, organized in chronological order with links to all of the sources and a one-sentence summary for every development. Not sure how much easier I can make this.

The trailer was released, without context or any accompanying product announcement. The top two bullet points are analysis explaining exactly what was announced. Watch the video, click a link and read, and you will know all we know.

Nicktals

Banned
Psychotext said:

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't really care enough to try and sort through a huge thread which has been unraveling, information wise, for 3 months.

I guess the OP does have all the information, so it doesn't suck. It's just a bit of a tease is all =)

Dirtbag 504 said:
The wording of "Experience" over "Expansion" or even "Episode" could be misleading.
Of course since we don't know where it's leading us yet, it can't very well be misleading us just yet.

The whole thing reeks of marketing speak to me though, and trying to find the most interesting way of saying "halo 3:Episode 1" meaning Halo3 dlc campaign expansion. If that's all this ends up being, then someone's choice of saying 'experience' over 'expansion' was poorly thought out (or well thought out and kind of a dirty move given the established vocabulary of the industry). I don't like the mystery surrounding what this thing technically is, I don't mind the mystery around the story itself though. This combined with the initial stalled reveal has made me one frustrated individual with unrealistic expectations (all the while excited to play it of course).
GhaleonEB said:
I think Dirtbag is on to something. What makes me question how "new" that experience will be is that Bungie is branding it as part of Halo 3. The trailer ends with the "Halo 3" splash. That right there sets certain expectations. "Experience" as used on the Marketplace description is Microsoft marketing speak. See: "New Xbox Experience" for the dashboard overhaul in November. It's their marketing buzzword of the moment, and since they're the publisher I'm not surprised to see it used.

It's Halo 3, it's a campaign expansion. If that translates to a new genre such as 3rd person, I'll be surprised. I'm expecting tweaked sandbox (Halo 1 pistol as Cocop mentioned) and some new gameplay mechanics, but not anything too dramatic. It's still going to be Halo.
Not that I disagree with what either of you have said, it makes perfect sense and I completely follow, but that being said, if this whole "experience" term is only a marketing buzzword, how do you two feel about the use of "next game" to describe this campaign expansion within Halo 3's menu? The difference between "expansion" and "experience" exists, but it's minimal. The difference between "expansion" and "next game" to me feels considerably larger.

Am I alone in this?

The fact of the matter is that Falagard's bullet point list, as conservative as it is, is probably closer to center than my perspective. I think Halo 3 has the capacity for third-person play and I think it could work functionally and visually, but either way I'm completely psyched for this new stuff. I think it's a perfect way for Bungie to step off of the Halo franchise for just a moment or two and work on something new...like a good half-way step between Halo and whatever their next IP is.

LukeSmith

Mr Vociferous said:
Not that I disagree with what either of you have said, it makes perfect sense and I completely following, but that being said, if this whole "experience" term is only a marketing buzzword, how do you two feel about the use of "next game" to describe this campaign expansion within Halo 3's menu? The difference between "expansion" and "experience" exists, but it's minimal. The difference between "expansion" and "next game" to me feels considerably larger.

Am I alone in this?

The fact of the matter is that Falagard's bullet point list, as conservative as it is, is probably closer to center than my perspective. I think Halo 3 has the capacity for third-person play and I think it could work functionally and visually, but either way I'm completely psyched for this new stuff. I think it's a perfect way for Bungie to step off of the Halo franchise for just a moment or two and work on something new...like a good half-way step between Halo and whatever their next IP is.

There's all sorts of semantics that folks can get hung up on here: Expansion, Experience, Next Game - and really, none of them conveyed precisely what this project actually is. I realize this post itself is terribly unhealthy, but I don't want to see you guys spin your wheels too much on the semantics. Especially with things like nag messages and Xbox Live Marketplace descriptions, which are constrained by character counts. Even a term like episode has some weird connotations that don't make it applicable.

While often times we push folks to read between the lines and drill down into what it all means -- in this case, it's best to just have a bit of patience.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm loving how this expansion is taking people attentions away from Bungie's other projects. I'm pretty sure there's gotta be original ip in the works and despite my love for Halo 3, I'm much more excited for whatever new experiences Bungie will be bringing.

Dirtbag

Mr Vociferous said:
Not that I disagree with what either of you have said, it makes perfect sense and I completely follow, but that being said, if this whole "experience" term is only a marketing buzzword, how do you two feel about the use of "next game" to describe this campaign expansion within Halo 3's menu? The difference between "expansion" and "experience" exists, but it's minimal. The difference between "expansion" and "next game" to me feels considerably larger.

Am I alone in this?

You (as always) raise a good point.
I totally agree that the halo-verse and halo 3 engine has the capacity for 3rd person play... but I don't see Bungie philosophically ok with introducing cover mechanics into the same game that wasn't designed around it. If this is a "new game" (and I want to believe, but don't know), then sure why not. But it would definitely require re-jiggering the enemy ai and behavior for a cover / squad based game.

EDIT:Luke speaketh! Thanks for the little bit of clarity.

urk said:
Arbiter backlash was more about the direction the story took. For all intents and purposes, the gameplay was identical. Bungie isn't going to bait and switch. You'll know what type of game you're going to be getting before you plunk down your monies.

I actually thought the gameplay was better in the Arbiter missions because you could do everything the Chief could do, plus you had the ability to turn invisible for a few seconds.

I guess I'm in the unfortunately exclusive club of people who enjoyed playing as the Arbiter (and didn't take personal offense to the switcheroo).

Dirtbag

professor_t said:
I actually thought the gameplay was better in the Arbiter missions because you could do everything the Chief could do, plus you had the ability to turn invisible for a few seconds.

I guess I'm in the unfortunately exclusive club of people who enjoyed playing as the Arbiter (and didn't take personal offense to the switcheroo).

Not really. I thought the gameplay was mostly the same (in halo 2), as I constantly forgot he could cloak.

BUT, I thought the story surrounding the Arbiter (and his voice acting) trumped the chief's. I was really sad to see his role down-played like it was in halo 3. I think this is an area that bungie should have just ignored the vocal fans and allowed his story/motives to play out for the betterment of the game.

professor_t said:

I agree 100%. I loved the Arbiter missions, and to be honest, I liked the Arbiter's narrative as well. The cloaking ability really changed how I played the game.

Cloak + sword = awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
LukeSmith said:
There's all sorts of semantics that folks can get hung up on here: Expansion, Experience, Next Game - and really, none of them conveyed precisely what this project actually is. I realize this post itself is terribly unhealthy, but I don't want to see you guys spin your wheels too much on the semantics. Especially with things like nag messages and Xbox Live Marketplace descriptions, which are constrained by character counts. Even a term like episode has some weird connotations that don't make it applicable.

While often times we push folks to read between the lines and drill down into what it all means -- in this case, it's best to just have a bit of patience.

WAT A TWIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LukeSmith said:

It's a cutscene, isn't it?

Ohhh boy. :(

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
To be fair, the trailer was as packed with hints and clues as any I've seen Bungie ever put out. It's a giant invitation for the community to analyzie, speculate and pontificate, so anything associated with it gets sucked into that vortex.

That said, I'm happy to both speculate and wait. Shake the box a little, but not open the package just yet.

Waaghals

I must admit I'm slightly dissapointed by the "reveal". Alltough I don't mind developers letting their fans guess and speculate about what their new game may be, Bungie hasn't even told us what kind of a game this is.

The teaser, while neat, did not contain any solid info at all. It's all CG, and doesn't show anything remotely reminiscent of gameplay. I think Bungie has gone too far in starving us for info when it comes to this project, especially considering the months of hype preceeding it.

I love the Halo-series, but Bungie has not really shown us anything yet.

Kibbles

Yeah the message Bungie had pop up when starting up Halo 3 says 'new game'. Seriously, all this excitement leading up to what we thought was a new game... what we were told was a new game. I mean, I'm still excited as hell for this but I'm also still a wee bit disappointed that it's not an actual new game.

Top Bottom