• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

duk

Banned
i wonder how these particular events from halo 2 timeframe will tie in with halo 3... maybe space time rupture thanks to prophet of regret

subrock

GhaleonEB said:
He calls that out specifically, and includes a screen shot:

carrier.jpg

Some additional detail from the second page:

He just takes his time saying it. Because he's so damn vociferous.
my bad, I looked at the paragraphs around that image guess I didnt look hard enough.

Merguson

Banned
I noticed everyone has been talking about Mr Vociferous for writing the article, but there are other members who do editorial work to ensure it meets standards. Thank you fellows for turning out something that is entertaining to read and simple to refer to. It's a very constructive article that deals with aspects of the trailer and offers some solid theories.

For myself personally, I think it's too early to speculate details of the game, like the art style or the perspective of the camera. However with the theories in the Ascendant Justice article and outside sources, we could be looking at the foundation of the storyline. The following details are what I think what the storyline will be like. Actually, what the piece from Ascendant Justice seems to indicate.

This new campaign experience appears to deal with the events unknown to fans. The particular events, or more specifically, the time period between when In Amber Clad is engulfed by the slipspace rupture and the arrival of the Forerunner Dreadnought in the Sol System. We don't know what exactly went on in this time period, but we do know that the Covenant was digging to uncover the portal to the Forerunner structure, known as the Ark.

Recon squads scouting out clusters of Covenant soldiers have been translating the language to uncover the real meaning of why they landed here instead of glassing the planet. One particular squad notices a transmission, "We need to clear this area before we can secure access to the ark." (Halo: Uprising, can be found within the AJ article). This squad reports this to the Office of Naval Intelligence. The secret military branch of the UNSC realizes this "Ark' may be on Earth, and now want control of it.

Regarding the article touching down on the communication between an Admiral, and an ONI agent, it appears that this agent is requesting a certain squad because he favors the squad. This might indicate that this squad has legendary status, known for heroics, and would jump into hell to face impossible odds. It is possible that this squad is tasked with finding the ark.

Now, around the time of the slipspace explosion, a large number of HEV pods drop down, with approximately sixteen heading in a different direction. These particular ODSTs have a different mission than the others, it is not to eradicate the Covenant, but to uncover the mystery of the Ark.
Taken from Ascendant Justice article said:
If that is, in fact, the case, then this line from Halo 3’s “Tsavo Highway” is even more telling:

“Commander. This is ONI Recon one-eleven. The cruisers above… (static). They found… (static).”

“Say again, Recon? You’re breaking up.”

“There’s something in the crater, ma’am. Something beneath the storm.” [Tsavo Highway, Halo 3]

The campaign experience could follow through with the squad attempting to unravel the mysteries of the Ark, the space tether collapsing after the slipspace rupture, and finally the Tsavo Highway transmission. How it really plays out? Who knows.

Of course, then what happens to the ODST squad after that? Who knows. Maybe they met their demise when the flood ship crashed. This is all heavy speculation, but I like this time period. It seems fitting.

Merguson

Banned
Double post I know, but I have a funny feeling about those Mythic skulls. Some of the other achievements indicate they are on multiplayer maps, but it's just a feeling I can't shake. Why skulls for multiplayer maps? That's the question.

Dirtbag

Merguson said:
Double post I know, but I have a funny feeling about those Mythic skulls. Some of the other achievements indicate they are on multiplayer maps, but it's just a feeling I can't shake. Why skulls for multiplayer maps? That's the question.
My theory is they were only placeholder names at the time of the leak (used to keep people from discovering this campaign expansion early, when the list was submitted to MS for early achievements in this update) and this would indicate that there is going to be 6 campaign levels / skulls.

Merguson

Banned
HugBasket said:
Maybe it works like the gametype Perfect Dark. People control the heroes and then enemy in the new campaign.

I think it's just focused on Orbital Drop Shock Troopers.

Also, thanks for banning me. You not so cool.

szaromir

Banned
Merguson said:
Now, around the time of the slipspace explosion, a large number of HEV pods drop down, with approximately sixteen heading in a different direction. These particular ODSTs have a different mission than the others, it is not to eradicate the Covenant, but to uncover the mystery of the Ark.
And one HEV landed separately, after the explosion. I think people ignore that one too much, but we'll see.

I don't know if this was posted, but here Marty O'Donell complains that pre-owned market slashed long-term Halo 3 sales. I wonder if this expansion will be downloadable only.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pre-owned-market-had-big-effect-on-halo-says-bungie-dev

Merguson

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
My theory is they were only placeholder names at the time of the leak (used to keep people from discovering this campaign expansion early, when the list was submitted to MS for early achievements in this update) and this would indicate that there are going to be 6 campaign levels / skulls.

Would this be allowed? I know Bungie did placeholders for achievements for Halo 3, but wasn't that just for the public? I don't think they ever appeared on Xbox.com.

Merguson

Banned
szaromir said:
And one HEV landed separately, after the explosion. I think people ignore that one too much, but we'll see.

I don't know if this was posted, but here Marty O'Donell complains that pre-owned market slashed long-term Halo 3 sales. I wonder if this expansion will be downloadable only.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pre-owned-market-had-big-effect-on-halo-says-bungie-dev

I noticed this, but I don't know what exactly this means, so I don't really want to speculate on that. I originally thought it might be the protagonist. I'm not sure, but if the focus is on co-op, they can still have the hero, like Master Chief and his elite allies. It could be the Squad Leader (presumably a legendary figure, not a spartan, but his heroics have made him well-known) and the other 3-15 possible playable characters is his squad.

Which could make sense since the ONI agent favored this particular squad.

Who really knows...

Dirtbag

szaromir said:

Perhaps its one Spartan and 3 odst's for the 3 coop players.
I personally dont think so. I expect it to be 4 odst's (thanks to the "prepare to drop"), and the fact that given the fiction, ODST's won't match up physically with a Spartan.
ODST's don't have regenerating shields, the height advantage, the jump advantage, or the raw strength of a spartan. I don't expect an ODST to tote around missle pods, or vulcan turrets in the same fashion the spartans do, nor will they jump as high, survive without fall damage, and have as dominating a melee attack.

Given the way Bungie has already structured halo 3's campaign, don't expect a single main character that is cloned for the other 3 characters in coop. Taking this a step further, it would have to be a full team of Spartans so the play mechanic is the same (because we aren't allied with the elites yet) or.... it's a full team of ODST's, which I think is most likely scenario.

Dirtbag

Merguson said:
Would this be allowed? I know Bungie did placeholders for achievements for Halo 3, but wasn't that just for the public? I don't think they ever appeared on Xbox.com.

We are pretty far out from release, so I think its a fair assumption, but definitely nothing substantial would point to this being true (Only a fools hope).

I have no idea if this is allowed.

Falagard

Dirtbag 504 said:
My theory is they were only placeholder names at the time of the leak (used to keep people from discovering this campaign expansion early, when the list was submitted to MS for early achievements in this update) and this would indicate that there is going to be 6 campaign levels / skulls.

No friggin way. Any achievements referring to campaign have always called them campaign missions.

Landfall 20
Finish the first mission of the Campaign on Normal, Heroic, or Legendary.

The new achievements are referring to specifically to multiplayer maps, and are clearly talking about multiplayer type achievements.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=274

Here's some examples of the new achievements. They refer the to new Mythic maps in multiplayer, not campaign missions.

Pull 25
On Citadel, get a Shotgun Spree during any ranked or social match.

Citadel Skull 25
On Citadel, find the hidden skull.

Vidmaster Challenge: Brainpan 25
Find all the hidden skulls on the Mythic maps.

Dirtbag

Falagard said:
No friggin way. Any achievements referring to campaign have always called them campaign missions.

Landfall 20

The new achievements are referring to specifically to multiplayer maps, and are clearly talking about multiplayer type achievements.

Here's some examples of the new achievements. They refer the to new Mythic maps in multiplayer, not campaign missions.

Pull 25

Citadel Skull 25

So you think all 750 pts will be used up in multiplayer and nothing will change by the time of release in janruary? (Hey you're probably right, I'm just saying it all seems fishy to me, either way)

Perhaps this is less an expansion then it is a new release with its' own 1000 achievements. But wouldn't that break the rules of how achievement points are allowed to be distributed? As in the extra 750 pts for multiplayer map packs for halo 3?

I'm confusing myself now. LOL

I'm pretty sure that, around the time of this teaser, all the SPARTAN-IIs that were with John in First Strike are heading towards Dr. Halsey's distress beacon, where Kurt was training the SPARTAN-IIIs.

Merguson

Banned
Time for Assembly. The legendary ODST squads drop into battle. They secure the zone, and prepare for their mission. Time to breach the Citadel, time to break the stronghold the Covenant have on the city of ruins. Nearing defeat, an army of covenant pods breach the ground, suddenly Heretic elites pop out, crushing their once counterparts. Forming an uneasy alliance, the merry band strikes at LongShore, a seaport under Covenant control, and discover the location of the presumed Ark. They realize they must go Orbital, feet first into hell, since the defenses cannot breached from the sides, but only from the skies. Time to do what ODSTs do best. The final battle, like a Sandbox, armies of heretic elites and Covenant wage war as the ODSTs with their vehicles prowl through their enemies to reach their goal. Alas the ark is already uncovered.

What the hell this is, I don't know.

Merguson said:
Time for Assembly. The legendary ODST squads drop into battle. They secure the zone, and prepare for their mission. Time to breach the Citadel, time to break the stronghold the Covenant have on the city of ruins. Nearing defeat, an army of covenant pods breach the ground, suddenly Heretic elites pop out, crushing their once counterparts. Forming an uneasy alliance, the merry band strikes at LongShore, a seaport under Covenant control, and discover the location of the presumed Ark. They realize they must go Orbital, feet first into hell, since the defenses cannot breached from the sides, but only from the skies. Time to do what ODSTs do best. The final battle, like a Sandbox, armies of heretic elites and Covenant wage war as the ODSTs with their vehicles prowl through their enemies to reach their goal. Alas the ark is already uncovered.

What the hell this is, I don't know.
Wat. Where did you find this?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
U K Narayan said:
I'm pretty sure that, around the time of this teaser, all the SPARTAN-IIs that were with John in First Strike are heading towards Dr. Halsey's distress beacon, where Kurt was training the SPARTAN-IIIs.

There's not really room for doubt that this teaser takes place during the same events of Halo 2, so no. Chief was on his way to Delta Halo via that explosion.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag 504 said:
Perhaps its one Spartan and 3 odst's for the 3 coop players.
I personally dont think so. I expect it to be 4 odst's (thanks to the "prepare to drop"), and the fact that given the fiction, ODST's won't match up physically with a Spartan.
ODST's don't have regenerating shields, the height advantage, the jump advantage, or the raw strength of a spartan. I don't expect an ODST to tote around missle pods, or vulcan turrets in the same fashion the spartans do, nor will they jump as high, survive without fall damage, and have as dominating a melee attack.

Given the way Bungie has already structured halo 3's campaign, don't expect a single main character that is cloned for the other 3 characters in coop. Taking this a step further, it would have to be a full team of Spartans so the play mechanic is the same (because we aren't allied with the elites yet) or.... it's a full team of ODST's, which I think is most likely scenario.

I do have another really crazy idea (seriously this one is out there).
What if Bungie throws us a major curveball and we actually play as the Super Intendent rather then the ODST's, offering up support to the ODST ground battle? Basically taking on the role of this autonomous city, we can pilot public transit vehicles, close / open access points, man sentry guns, relay recon to the team, etc.... things like that. I guess it could work, but doesn't really excite me as much as the prospect of a gritty, cover based shooter that is rumored.

DrBo42

Dirtbag 504 said:
What if Bungie throws us a major curveball and we actually play as the Super Intendent rather then the ODST's, offering up support to the ODST ground battle? Basically taking on the role of this autonomous city, we can pilot public transit vehicles, close / open access points, man sentry guns, relay recon to the team, etc.... things like that. I guess it could work, but doesn't really excite me as much as the prospect of a gritty, cover based shooter that is rumored.
The question is why make the Superintendent such an icon before the game announcement if we're playing as ODSTs? I mean there's already Superintendent shirts.. No one is walking around wearing Cortana t-shirts.

Falagard

Dirtbag 504 said:
So you think all 750 pts will be used up in multiplayer and nothing will change by the time of release in janruary? (Hey you're probably right, I'm just saying it all seems fishy to me, either way)

Perhaps this is less an expansion then it is a new release with its' own 1000 achievements. But wouldn't that break the rules of how achievement points are allowed to be distributed? As in the extra 750 pts for multiplayer map packs for halo 3?

I'm confusing myself now. LOL

I think the new achievements are only related to the Heroic, Legendary and (new) Mythic map packs. Those three packs were DLC, and add to 750 additional points that Bungie decided to use however they saw fit.

I think the expansion will be a standalone game disc and have its own 1000 achievement points.

szaromir

Banned
Merguson said:
I noticed this, but I don't know what exactly this means, so I don't really want to speculate on that. I originally thought it might be the protagonist. I'm not sure, but if the focus is on co-op, they can still have the hero, like Master Chief and his elite allies. It could be the Squad Leader (presumably a legendary figure, not a spartan, but his heroics have made him well-known) and the other 3-15 possible playable characters is his squad.

Which could make sense since the ONI agent favored this particular squad.

Who really knows...
The thing is, we don't know if the focus is on coop.

Merguson

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:

I think the SI is just there to provide a bit of background to the actual campaign, without spoiling the storyline. He may be a major part of the game, but I think they used his perspective to show off the campaign experience, but in terms of gameplay, it's actually the ODSTs. Hell, maybe you might see some cinematic in his point of view, like the space tether collapsing.

clashfan

I can't imagine this will be a third person squad shooter because this will sold as an expansion to Halo 3. The general public will be expecting something that plays like Halo 3...

LAUGHTREY said:
There's not really room for doubt that this teaser takes place during the same events of Halo 2, so no. Chief was on his way to Delta Halo via that explosion.
Yes?

The SPARTANs I'm talking about have already left Earth in search for Dr. Halsey.

Merguson

Banned
szaromir said:
The thing is, we don't know if the focus is on coop.

Gameplay details were scant, other than the fact that it will reportedly let gamers play as an entire squad in co-op mode through the entire campaign. The exact number of co-op players has yet to be finalized, but it could be as high as eight.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show...6483669&part=rss&tag=gs_xbox_360&subj=6193720

We have this from Gamespot which strongly indicates a focus on co-operative play.

Merguson

Banned
DrBo42 said:
The question is why make the Superintendent such an icon before the game announcement if we're playing as ODSTs? I mean there's already Superintendent shirts.. No one is walking around wearing Cortana t-shirts.

Marketing and generating the hype.

Blueblur1

Falagard said:

Landfall 20

Pull 25

Citadel Skull 25

If anyone disagrees with this post I will happily place them on ignore. The skulls will most assuredly be on those maps and any ODST game will have its own batch of achievements and a name aside from Halo 3.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
szaromir said:
But this story from Gamespot could be utter bullshit, who knows at this point.
A lot of the things that it said have already been proven to be spot-on.

clashfan

Cocopjojo said:
A lot of the things that it said have already been proven to be spot-on.

I hope it's true because everything in that article sounds really great but I'm just expecting a single player level pack.

Dirtbag

clashfan said:
I can't imagine this will be a third person squad shooter because this will sold as an expansion to Halo 3. The general public will be expecting something that plays like Halo 3...

Actually, at this exact point, we don't know how it will be sold. It could still go alot of different ways.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Like what?
Well, obviously nothing is 100% until we have the game, but:

She or he said that sometime this year, Bungie will announce a "darker, grittier" Halo game that doesn't feature the Master Chief at all.
The source says that the upcoming Halo game is a tactical shooter that will follow a squad of colonial marines or orbital-drop shock troopers engaged in "intense" fighting on the ground. Gameplay details were scant, other than the fact that it will reportedly let gamers play as an entire squad in co-op mode through the entire campaign. The exact number of co-op players has yet to be finalized, but it could be as high as eight.
Based on the timeline we've figured out from the slipspace jump, we know that the Chief can't be in it. We know from the transmissions on B.net that it will very likely feature a squad. We know from the teaser that there are soldiers dropping to Earth in the same pods that ODSTs use. And we also know from the transmissions that there's obviously a dire situation on the ground:

[SMN.ACTUAL]: “The situation on the ground isn’t my concern.”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Desperate times...”

Dirtbag

clashfan said:
The teaser already tied it to Halo 3.

Are you seriously assuming you are pointing this out to me as something I don't already know?
Did you read my entire posts?

I'm referring to this being a DLC level expansion allowing a maximum of 750 achievement points (none of which are currently tied to this expansion outside the multiplayer maps)...
Or is it a full disk based release offering 1000 achievement points, and hopefully its own stand alone multiplayer experience seperate from Halo 3's.
Meaning quite literally, we don't know how this will be sold.
Once we do, it will clue us in to what to expect.

EDIT: And to get technical, while the teaser tied the game in title to halo 3.... the events in the trailer (story timeline) tie it more to halo 2 then halo 3 at this point.

Falagard

clashfan said:
The teaser already tied it to Halo 3.

We don't know how it will be sold. It being an expansion to Halo 3 does not mean that it has to be sold as DLC, just as expansions to Half life 2 are sold separately on store shelves.

Dirtbag 504 said:
..., and hopefully its own stand alone multiplayer experience seperate from Halo 3's.

It'd be interesting to see if it even has a typical "multiplayer" component to it at all. The way things are shaping up, I'm expecting the entire expansion to be a co-op / multiplayer focused campaign experience, and no additional standard multiplayer components to it.

Dirtbag

fourzerotwo said:
It'd be interesting to see if it even has a typical "multiplayer" component to it at all. The way things are shaping up, I'm expecting the entire expansion to be a co-op / multiplayer focused campaign experience, and no additional standard multiplayer components to it.

I think that's the most likely scenario as well. But if there is a new play mechanic introduced (like hiding around cover), there is really no telling. If this turns out to be a DLC expansion, then I don't expect any new multiplayer component either. But in the relatively unlikely case that this is it's own disk based release, then its certainly within the realm of possibility.

This is part of why I think this reveal could have gone a little better. I'm already setting myself up for dissapointment because 'what' this game is, wasn't really clear from the trailer/reveal.

Merguson said:
What's up with the multiplayer talk?

It's an new campaign experience. I don't see why there would be multiplayer.
Speculating..

I thought an Ascendant Justice regular might appreciate that. :D

sixthsubset said:
seeing the space tether fall and surviving the fallout in first-person could be amazing
I think it would be even cooler seeing it from 3rd person... perhaps while ducked around some cover.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I don't think I could possibly be more excited about this project. Being someone who's more concerned with the story of the game, it seems as though Bungie is making this for me. A "new campaign experience" obviously implies no multiplayer, which is where the vast majority of Bungie's fanbase is. So the fact that they'd make a "new campaign experience," as opposed to a "new multiplayer experience" says that they're not in it for the money.

Maybe because I've always been a big fan of science fiction, or maybe just because of the way that the story has played out - whatever it is, I'm already a huge fan of the plot that's being crafted. The fact that the hype campaign that's been running has had us viewing things from neither the UNSC or the Covenant's eyes is a pretty interesting way to do things, IMO. And this Superintendent character is genius. An "urban infrastructure A.I" fits right into the Halo universe (see Mack from Contact Harvest), and it also adds a new layer of depth to an event that we've already been a part of.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Dirtbag

Cocopjojo said:
To be honest, I don't think I could possibly be more excited about this project. Being someone who's more concerned with the story of the game, it seems as though Bungie is making this for me. A "new campaign experience" obviously implies no multiplayer, which is where the vast majority of Bungie's fanbase is. So the fact that they'd make a "new campaign experience," as opposed to a "new multiplayer experience" says that they're not in it for the money.

Maybe because I've always been a big fan of science fiction, or maybe just because of the way that the story has played out - whatever it is, I'm already a huge fan of the plot that's being crafted. The fact that the hype campaign that's been running has had us viewing things from neither the UNSC or the Covenant's eyes is a pretty interesting way to do things, IMO. And this Superintendent character is genius. An "urban infrastructure A.I" fits right into the Halo universe (see Mack from Contact Harvest), and it also adds a new layer of depth to an event that we've already been a part of.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Being a multiplayer centric player, I could definitely be more excited if there was a new multiplayer component - but I'm guessing the yet to be dated mappack will launch alongside this DLC campaign expansion and fill this gap.

Top Bottom