• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

I doubt they'll fragment their playerbase by making this a multiplayer game as well, since it's tied so closely to halo 3.

If they're smart it'll be released in two forms: a new edition of Halo 3 with both campaigns and the multiplayer component included and also a DLC of just the new campaign that can be accessed from the original halo 3 disc. That way people with 360 arcades can play it, and people with HDDs can just put in their halo 3 disc, download the content, go to campaign, select the new campaign and play it from there.

Just so everyboody is clear, this is not going to be the gritty squad based shooter. Luke himself said as much yesterday when he said the ex-marine/GRAW developer (Christian whatshisname) was not working on this project. So in my mind there is a 99% chance this is a new campaign that uses halo 3 gameplay

voltron

Cocopjojo said:
To be honest, I don't think I could possibly be more excited about this project. Being someone who's more concerned with the story of the game, it seems as though Bungie is making this for me. A "new campaign experience" obviously implies no multiplayer, which is where the vast majority of Bungie's fanbase is. So the fact that they'd make a "new campaign experience," as opposed to a "new multiplayer experience" says that they're not in it for the money.

Maybe because I've always been a big fan of science fiction, or maybe just because of the way that the story has played out - whatever it is, I'm already a huge fan of the plot that's being crafted. The fact that the hype campaign that's been running has had us viewing things from neither the UNSC or the Covenant's eyes is a pretty interesting way to do things, IMO. And this Superintendent character is genius. An "urban infrastructure A.I" fits right into the Halo universe (see Mack from Contact Harvest), and it also adds a new layer of depth to an event that we've already been a part of.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Yeah I with you man. As much as I enjoy the MP its really all about the fiction and the universe for me. I want moar moar MOAR single player content. Im aching for it.

voltron

Dirtbag 504 said:
Being a multiplayer centric player, I could definitely be more excited if there was a new multiplayer component - but I'm guessing the yet to be dated mappack will launch alongside this DLC campaign expansion and fill this gap.

But you cant possibly be 'hangin' for new maps though can you? The MP fans like yourself really do get treated well, with 2 map packs already and a freeby - not to mention all the maps the game shipped with.

Are you bored of all that already?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
voltron said:
But you cant possibly be 'hangin' for new maps though can you? The MP fans like yourself really do get treated well, with 2 map packs already and a freeby - not to mention all the maps the game shipped with.

Are you bored of all that already?
I think that's the opposite of what he was saying. He was basically saying that he's excited for the future, since he appears as though we'll be getting six new maps.

It's looking like everyone's gonna be a winner.

Dirtbag

wayward archer said:
I doubt they'll fragment their playerbase by making this a multiplayer game as well, since it's tied so closely to halo 3.

If they're smart it'll be released in two forms: a new edition of Halo 3 with both campaigns and the multiplayer component included and also a DLC of just the new campaign that can be accessed from the original halo 3 disc. That way people with 360 arcades can play it, and people with HDDs can just put in their halo 3 disc, download the content, go to campaign, select the new campaign and play it from there.

Just so everyboody is clear, this is not going to be the gritty squad based shooter. Luke himself said as much yesterday when he said the ex-marine/GRAW developer (Christian whatshisname) was not working on this project. So in my mind there is a 99% chance this is a new campaign that uses halo 3 gameplay
Actually Luke said :

Neg. He's not involved with the title related to today's activities.
Back to the speculative drawing board, I suppose.

He did not say that this game was NOT a cover-based, gritty shooter.

I think it's very likely that this will use halo 3 gameplay (to the 'T'), but nothing has been proven at this point. All we have is assumptions and a gamespot rumor that points in the opposite direction.

Cocopjojo said:
I think that's the opposite of what he was saying. He was basically saying that he's excited for the future, since he appears as though we'll be getting six new maps.

It's looking like everyone's gonna be a winner.
Spot on Cocop.

Merguson

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
To be honest, I don't think I could possibly be more excited about this project. Being someone who's more concerned with the story of the game, it seems as though Bungie is making this for me. A "new campaign experience" obviously implies no multiplayer, which is where the vast majority of Bungie's fanbase is. So the fact that they'd make a "new campaign experience," as opposed to a "new multiplayer experience" says that they're not in it for the money.

Maybe because I've always been a big fan of science fiction, or maybe just because of the way that the story has played out - whatever it is, I'm already a huge fan of the plot that's being crafted. The fact that the hype campaign that's been running has had us viewing things from neither the UNSC or the Covenant's eyes is a pretty interesting way to do things, IMO. And this Superintendent character is genius. An "urban infrastructure A.I" fits right into the Halo universe (see Mack from Contact Harvest), and it also adds a new layer of depth to an event that we've already been a part of.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Thus according to Self Induced, your F5 button is about to be broken.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Well, obviously nothing is 100%
That's what I meant. They said it would be a cross between Gears of War and Ghost Recon. I think that might have been speculation built upon the Ghost Recon guy joining Bungie, but he's not working on this project. And it's billed as a Campaign expansion to Halo 3 in the Live description (and as Halo 3 in the trailer), so I have a hard time thinking it will be a different genre. And nothing in the video was stylistically different from Halo 3.

BUT

Nothing is really confirmed yet, and the premise of the game is shit-hot (as you just said in your later post). A new Halo 3 campaign in any context is cause for massive fappage.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
Nothing is really confirmed yet, and the premise of the game is shit-hot (as you just said in your later post). A new Halo 3 campaign in any context is cause for massive fappage.

cant wait to explore the ark's interior! /speculation

Dirtbag

op_ivy said:
cant wait to explore the ark's interior! /speculation

OH SHIT! Never once did that cross my mind.
That would get at least SOME forerunner architecture into the game that most likely takes place entirely on earth!!

op_ivy

Dirtbag 504 said:
OH SHIT! Never once did that cross my mind.
That would get at least SOME forerunner architecture into the game that most likely takes place entirely on earth!!

i didnt really think of it myself... speculation from voc and coco. absolutely makes sense though why a squad of ODSTs would be sent to new mombasa AND would tie in with the fiction of halo 3 whereas before i was only thinking of halo 2's arc

op_ivy

Ajemsuhgao said:

It's been a pretty slow news week thus far for Halo fans, but thankfully we've got some exciting information to share regarding upcoming improvements to Bungie.net!

:lol oh bungie! cant wait to see the inevitable bitch fest this update will spawn here at gaf ;)

DestinRL

I'm going to be very surprised if it's a new campaign experience. I don't even know how much you can expand without releasing another disc, I mean aren't they limited to their current engine?

I'll be very interested to see what they come up with.

voltron

And what a year it's been... For me personally, I can't even begin pick one memory or summarize what has been a crazy, whirlwind exciting year. I can probably safely say though that reading the reaction to today's weekly update will not be a highlight of year two. Call it a hunch.

Thanks folks, tune in next week for another guest mystery update writer as Luke and I will both be on a plane headed to somewhere far away.

Jesus fucking christ.

Worst update EVAR. What the fuck was THAT? NOT EVEN A WORD?

op_ivy said:
:lol oh bungie! cant wait to see the inevitable bitch fest this update will spawn here at gaf ;)

I am so thankful I am not following this right now, because I would be PISSED.

They're almost as bad as Valve. Almost.

op_ivy

DestinRL said:
I'm going to be very surprised if it's a new campaign experience. I don't even know how much you can expand without releasing another disc, I mean aren't they limited to their current engine?

"halo: blue" was listed as an upcoming retail release at one point...

oh, and, "WAIT FOR TGS!"

voltron

I mean I get the fact that they would want to keep the anniversary update focused on Halo 3. But we could have got a little piece of news relating to the new project.

Dirtbag

DestinRL said:

The engine is the easy part. The textures and audio are what take up most the space.

op_ivy said:
"halo: blue" was listed as an upcoming retail release at one point...

oh, and, "WAIT FOR TGS!"
That's what I assumed with Luke and Sketch traveling 'far away'

voltron said:
I mean I get the fact that they would want to keep the anniversary update focused on Halo 3. But we could have got a little piece of news relating to the new project.
MS is having a press conference at TGS.

clashfan

GhaleonEB said:
That's what I meant. They said it would be a cross between Gears of War and Ghost Recon. I think that might have been speculation built upon the Ghost Recon guy joining Bungie, but he's not working on this project. And it's billed as a Campaign expansion to Halo 3 in the Live description (and as Halo 3 in the trailer), so I have a hard time thinking it will be a different genre. And nothing in the video was stylistically different from Halo 3.

This is what I'm thinking too ...

FrankT

voltron said:
Jesus fucking christ.

Worst update EVAR. What the fuck was THAT? NOT EVEN A WORD?

Obviously they know they have everyone on the hook here. Maybe, big maybe here, they will have a proper unveiling in the next week or so and we'll get a bit more substance rather than more questions we have now. Where are they heading, far, far away to? Begs the question perhaps that more "dedicated" event is still on, but who really knows at this point.

Merguson

Banned
I'm excited about the possibilities of this campaign experience.

54038820-Full-1.jpg

Very excited.

DestinRL said:
...which is extremely versatile and powerful. It's interesting to see people discuss the use of a game's engine as though it could only produce gameplay identical or even similar to that of the title which it has first appeared. This is not the case.

Like I've said on other sites, whether first or third-person, people should start getting their expectations addressed as to what falls categorically into the realm of "campaign experience." Have they ever even officially billed this as an "expansion" or has it always been stated to be an "experience?" The distinction there could be significant. Even the note when logging into Halo 3 seemed to indicate that this could be viewed more as a "new game" than anything like an expansion.

It seems incredibly clear that neither the Master Chief nor the Arbiter will be involved here, so whatever experience we get, regardless of the format, would likely break our wholesale notion of what an expansion would typically be.

How different will it be? Who knows.

I would not be surprised at all if this game ended up being a third-person tactical shooter using the same engine, assets and mechanics from Halo 3 and telling a story which is directly connected to the events of the third game.

Falagard

Mr Vociferous said:
I would not be surprised at all if this game ended up being a third-person tactical shooter using the same engine, assets and mechanics from Halo 3 and telling a story which is directly connected to the events of the third game.

Yup, it could be 3rd person. They already have some 3rd person game mechanics in Halo 3 - any time you pick up a heavy weapon, drive in a vehicle, etc. Although it wouldn't really surprise me if they went 3rd person, I personally think we're going to see something more similar to Rainbow Six Vegas than a 3rd person shooter like Gears of War.

Will there be a cover system? Rolling instead of jumping?

Regardless of the answers to these questions, I *would* be surprised if the game played identical to when you're playing as a Spartan or Elite. If we're playing as ODSTs I think the player won't be able to jump as high or take as much damage, and the enemies will be much more fierce relative to the player. Imagine taking on a Brute Chieftain or a Hunter as an ODST!

Is this a squad based game?

If it's not a squad based game, how could a single ODST have any chance of taking on such powerful enemies? I'm thinking it has to be a squad based game, and if so and you're playing single player, your squad mates are going to have to be more intelligent than your allies are in Halo 3's campaign, and also more resilient.

Will there be a "down but not out" system, like Gears when a team mate falls and you help them up?

It's these sorts of possibilities that get me very excited about the game. We may be let down on some of these - but I'd be happy if they borrowed some of these ideas from other games. Playing as a non Spartan gives them a sort of reset button where they can again do whatever they want with the game - can't wait to see what they do with it.

So after endless hype and two countdowns, we still don't have a title, release date or any real gameplay information - but we do have a CG trailer advertising Halo 3.

This is just getting silly.

I understand that you story guys are excited about a possible prequel or expansion of the Halo 3 story, but I'm a fan of the game. Bungie makes great videogames first and great stories second. And after all that superintendent shit, we pretty much don't know anything about this new game (words "new game" are used lightly here as this could merely be an expansion or add-on).

I hope this is a new disc and not DLC as my "fridge" is quite full now.

Blueblur1

The Lamonster said:
So after endless hype and two countdowns, we still don't have a title, release date or any real gameplay information - but we do have a CG trailer advertising Halo 3.

This is just getting silly.

I understand that you story guys are excited about a possible prequel or expansion of the Halo 3 story, but I'm a fan of the game. Bungie makes great videogames first and great stories second. And after all that shit we pretty much don't know anything about this new game (words "new game" are used lightly here as this could merely be an expansion or add-on).
There quite a few GAFers that share this opinion. This time Microsoft is really at fault because the game was supposed to have been shown and played by the gaming press already.

Falagard said:
Playing as a non Spartan gives them a sort of reset button where they can again do whatever they want with the game - can't wait to see what they do with it.
Yeah, exactly. I think the biggest thing for me is that when you play Halo, the Covenant fear you. They call you a demon. You're the embodyment of their adversary. The sole threat because of how powerful you are as a player and the fiction translates that well.

You're the monster and the Covenant are the prey.

In this game, it's likely that you'll just be an ODST - a normal leatherneck thrown into the middle of hell. The Covenant are the monsters. I think the rumors of it being less stylistic make sense in this regard because from the average human's perspective, the Covenant are scary as hell.

Also, in addition to the point you made about there being third-person heavy mechanics already in Halo 3. I'd imagine boarding, the system which guides that third-person functionality, is not too different than taking cover. Plus, the assets and animations for all of these things were already in place when Halo 3 shipped. There are several moments in-game which feature ODSTs, some which require them to take cover, post up and do a variety of other things. For Halo 3, it made sense because these are NPCs which interact with the player, but in this game, they could be used for the player's movement in a third-person scenario.

I definitely agree that from a transition standpoint that buying Halo 3: Mythic (Halo: Blue) and toggling back and forth in between playing Halo 3 multiplayer on Assembly and then this game in a cooperative campaign would likely yield the expectation of needing a similar experience across the board. That being said, I believe that the line separating first-person from third-person is incredibly narrow here. I mean you can already switch to third-person camera when watching footage and you could likely play from that position in Halo 3 had it been enabled.

If I were to guess based on all of the relevant data (and I could definitely be wrong here), I believe by default this game will be made for third-person play with the option of having first-person perspective like most other games of this category. I think the Gamespot article's accuracy to this point should be considered heavily. And their comparative use of GRAW and Gears, rather than gritty first-person games, is extremely telling to me.

Also, I think people should take note as to what Bungie, the developer of the project, calls it...

fffof4.png

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Vociferous said:
Also, in addition to the point you made about there being third-person heavy mechanics already in Halo 3. I'd imagine boarding, the system which guides that third-person functionality, is not too different than taking cover. Plus, the assets and animations for all of these things were already in place when Halo 3 shipped. There are several moments in-game which feature ODSTs, some which require them to take cover, post up and do a variety of other things. For Halo 3, it made sense because these are NPCs which interact with the player, but in this game, they could be used for the player's movement in a third-person scenario.

voc and I have seen them do it many times; it looks very much like how a tactical shooter would handle it. As they start to move into position, you'll see them "stick" to the wall, much like how Ghost Recon handles it. The Arbiter in particular will even lean around the corner to look down the hallway. The angle is bad, but you can sort of see him doing it here:

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, this is what I wrote about the animation, back in July:

At the end of the long hallways up ahead, the Arbiter does something really odd:

He “posts up,” so to speak, at the entrance to the next room, and will remain there until you’ve entered. You can see it happen - he sticks to the wall and his posture changes. I’m sure he’s done it before with crates and other objects, but he almost always does it here and it is really easy to catch. I think what I like the most is how natural it looks, considering this is an FPS.
As vociferous said, the animations are already there, and I find that interesting; I think that the possibility definitely exists for a tactical shooter which involves a cover system.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't know if you guys remember, but if you play Crow's Nest, towards the end of the Brute hallway encounter (it's right after you meet up with the Arbiter when he's fighting the drones), when the Brute Captain is all that's left, he'll actually lean behind one of the pillars that's keeping the second floor in place.

Just to add to Cocop's cover possibilities. :D

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
I don't know if you guys remember, but if you play Crow's Nest, towards the end of the Brute hallway encounter (it's right after you meet up with the Arbiter when he's fighting the drones), when the Brute Captain is all that's left, he'll actually lean behind one of the pillars that's keeping the second floor in place.

Just to add to Cocop's cover possibilities. :D

Oh I don't know what to think about any of this anymore.
Part of me wants to believe its cover based, but that's not the rational side of me.

The rational side of me says its just going to be halo3 gameplay, 1st person with no changes. With no gameplay difference that we are ODST's, all the way down to the charging shields, melee's, etc.

The passionate (illogical and imaginative) side of me, has dreams of squad based commands and cover mechanics.. something I think I know in my heart, is not to be.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Are you saying that instead of playing as the ODST we'll be romping around as massive apes and taking cover
(GoW)
? 8-|

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dirtbag 504 said:
Oh I don't know what to think about any of this anymore.
Part of me wants to believe its cover based, but that's not the rational side of me.

The rational side of me says its just going to be halo3 gameplay, 1st person with no changes. With no gameplay difference that we are ODST's, all the way down to the charging shields, melee's, etc.

I'd prefer it stays FPS. If it's not, then it's not Halo 3 related; it is a game in its own set in the Halo universe.

But then again, we have no idea what this game entails. New campaign experience? Female Spartan? ODSTs? 3rd person? 1st person? DLC? Retail release? Mind blown.

EazyB said:
Are you saying that instead of playing as the ODST we'll be romping around as massive apes and taking cover (GoW)? 8-|

WOHOO. Bring it.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
I'd prefer it stays FPS. If it's not, then it's not Halo 3 related; it is a game in its own set in the Halo universe.
If there is no SP component then I don't really care what perspective it is but 3rd person in competitive MP is garbage; especially with cover mechanics. First person cover similar to KZ2 could be interesting.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling that since it will use the Halo 3 engine, it will look and feel so much like Halo 3 that no one will consider it to be a "new game" - which is why Bungie is hesitant to call it that.

And there won't be any MP, Eazy, so no worries.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dirtbag 504 said:
it would be cool if they introduced a new weapon though.....

(something no one has really mentioned)
Harold Ryan, The Bungie Podcast, 01/18/08:
...the pistol is coming back.
It was removed because it was unbelievably overpowered in MP. But if there's no multiplayer...?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Cocopjojo said:
I have a feeling that since it will use the Halo 3 engine, it will look and feel so much like Halo 3 that no one will consider it to be a "new game" - which is why Bungie is hesitant to call it that.

And there won't be any MP, Eazy, so no worries.

"Check out the teaser for our next game" doesn't seem so hesitant to me.

They have to choose their words carefully when you put up a message like that on Halo 3 where the millions of people who DON'T read Bnet and haven't kept up with all the shenanigans.

Domino Theory said:
But then again, we have no idea what this game entails. New campaign experience?
I think if it was just merely a campaign expansion, as some people, including myself, predicted when we saw the campaign assets on Crow's Nest in Bungie's thank you to Edge... we'd likely be playing as a Spartan or Elite. It would be like missions in addition to Halo 3, possibly in between levels where there's uncounted time and the possibility for campaign expansion.

I think everything we've seen shows that this isn't the case. Microsoft calls it a "new campaign experience" and Bungie's referring to it here as a "new game." We believe that it's an ODST shooter which automatically implies significant differences in how it's shaped even if we take it from a minimalist's perspective and just say that there's shorter jumping and no shields with a gloomy filter on or something.

I agree it'll probably look and play very similar to Halo 3, but clearly there's a distinction here. We're not playing Halo 3.5. This is something new and distinct. Something different.

Hopefully we'll get some more information about this very soon.

Falagard

Let's say Bungie decides they're going to work on a new game where you play as ODSTs during the events between Halo 2 and 3, starting in new New Mombasa. This game is using Halo 3's engine with some gameplay tweaks, but for the most part it's the same graphics engine that powered Halo 3.

The game takes place in the Halo universe, within the Halo time line that player are familiar with - but following a different story and using different characters than the Master Chief.

They probably want Halo in the name so it attracts attention to the fact that the game is set within the Halo universe, and for obvious sales and marketing reasons.

What should they name the game? How should they present it to players? It's clearly not a sequel to Halo 3, as it doesn't follow the Master Chief's story, so they can't call it Halo 4.

They really only have two choices: present it as a new standalone game that has Halo in the name, or present it as an expansion to Halo 3.

So why did they choose to present it as an expansion? I think it's clear it's been presented as an expansion, supplemental, new campaign experience, etc. to Halo 3 even if they're calling it their new game in other places, because the teaser trailer clearly showed "Halo 3". It can be a new game and an expansion - those two are not mutually exclusive.

So why an expansion? To set expectations. This is not going to be a whole new game engine like Halo 2 was compared to Halo 1, and ditto for Halo 3. There's not going to be a ton of new innovations, like each sequel had over the previous in the Halo series.

It's an expansion because it's using the same engine as Halo 3, with similar features, and that's it. Sure, it's a new game. It might be 3rd person. Who knows how it's going to be released - on disc, DLC, or both. But they called it was it is - an expansion and not a sequel.

FinFan

If they make a "Halo" game that you do not play as a Spartan, the general Halo fan base will be livid. There was a huge backlash against playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2 and his game play and physics were practically identical. If you were to play as an underpowered ODST, I would expect a similar fan reaction.

Top Bottom