• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King aims to expand his kingdom, subjugate hot dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Burger King is looking for a new crown: Hot Dog King.

The Miami-based chain says it plans to put hot dogs on its menu nationally for the first time starting Feb. 23. It may seem like a jarring addition for those who know the chain for its Whoppers. But Burger King says its ability to flame-grill meat makes hot dogs a natural fit on its menu.

"This is probably the most obvious product launch ever," said Alex Macedo, president of Burger King North America.

With the launch, Burger King says it will offer hot dogs at all 7,100 of its U.S. restaurants — more U.S. locations than any other chain. Smaller chains that sell hot dogs include Dairy Queen and Sonic Drive-In.

The move comes as Burger King works to push up sales amid intensifying competition, with McDonald's offering breakfast items all day to spark a turnaround, while Wendy's offers a "4 for $4" deal to get customers in the door. In 2014, Burger King's sales rose 2.1 percent at established locations in the U.S. and Canada. Parent company Restaurant Brands International Inc. reports results for 2015 next week.

Macedo said hot dogs would build on the chain's momentum given their growing popularity, including at trendy eateries.

Tests of the hot dogs in a handful of cities last year resulted in unspecified sales increases, according to Burger King. The food-review website The Impulsive Buy noted the hot dogs seem "small and not quite substantial enough" but otherwise gave them a positive review.

Still, fast-food history is riddled with menu flops, and Burger King is no exception. In 2013, for instance, the chain launched lower-calorie fries called "Satisfries." They failed less than a year later.

Macedo recalled another Burger King failure from the past.

"At some point, they tried popcorn. They would give it away for free to guests in the restaurants. I wasn't here, but I hear a lot about the popcorn days," Macedo said.

Burger King's "Grilled Dogs" will come in two varieties. The "classic" hot dog will be topped with ketchup, mustard, chopped onions and relish, and 310 calories. The company suggesting franchisees sell it for $1.99. A chili cheese version has 330 calories, with the suggested price of $2.39.

To get workers excited, Burger King says it enlisted Snoop Dogg and Charo to star in training videos for making the hot dogs. The company says they're internal company videos, but the chain may be planning to use them in some way for marketing purposes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/burger-kings-conquest-hot-dog-king-36837646

Less stupid than a quesalupa.

DJ_Lae

Hot dogs at fast food places always weird me out. They're so easy to bang out at home or at work that it seems almost wasteful to buy one when you could get a hamburger instead.

Unless you're talking $1.50 at Costco.

studyguy

Everything always starts out innocuous enough. Eventually we get to the point where we get fries stuffed with hotdogs (or the other way around) or like hamburger buns made out of rolled up hotdogs or some random shit. For now I'm down.

Tagyhag

Hot dogs at fast food places always weird me out. They're so easy to bang out at home or at work that it seems almost wasteful to buy one when you could get a hamburger instead.

Unless you're talking $1.50 at Costco.

Or some Pink's dogs.

I'd try out the BK hot dog if I had one near me for the gimmick factor. Kind of like a McPizza.

Kas

Hey. Don't talk shit about the Quesalupa. I've been looking forward to that since I worked at TB.

OT, I'm down if it's as good as Nathans, or even in the same ballpark as them

gamz

"The "classic" hot dog will be topped with ketchup, mustard, chopped onions and relish, and 310 calories"

Ewwww.... Chicago style of bust.

Paiying for hotdogs is weird.

image.php

To get workers excited, Burger King says it enlisted Snoop Dogg and Charo to star in training videos for making the hot dogs. The company says they're internal company videos, but the chain may be planning to use them in some way for marketing purposes.

Well they got the dog and buns taken care of.

Malyse

Everything always starts out innocuous enough. Eventually we get to the point where we get fries stuffed with hotdogs (or the other way around) or like hamburger buns made out of rolled up hotdogs or some random shit. For now I'm down.

Doing our damnedest.

Hey. Don't talk shit about the Quesalupa. I've been looking forward to that since I worked at TB.

OT, I'm down if it's as good as Nathans, or even in the same ballpark as them

Don't you talk shit about the quesalupa OP that stuff is the best fast food invention since Chicken Fries.

Ain't shit.

Fight me.

Lactose intolerant anyway.

PSqueak

Banned
im confused, Burger king has had hotdogs for years, You mean to tell me that was not a thing on EVERY Burger king in the world?

georly

im confused, Burger king has had hotdogs for years, You mean to tell me that was not a thing on EVERY Burger king in the world?

o_O

Where!?

And I'll give it a try, because their burgers are shit now and have been for at least a decade. Only edible thing on the menu (other than desserts) are chicken fries.

There's something about hot dogs from fast food places that grosses me out. I don't get it, I don't have this problem with hot dogs from anywhere else.

PSqueak

Banned
o_O

Where!?

And I'll give it a try, because their burgers are shit now and have been for at least a decade. Only edible thing on the menu (other than desserts) are chicken fries.

Not in the UK.

Are the dogs pork where you're at?

Mexico. Don't remeber if the BK dogs are pork.

Wait, you mean BK actually has an international presence?

Coincidentally, a few BKs in my town closed down, including the one directly in front of my work place.

Phu

Banned
o_O

Where!?

I've had one before in Detroit, but I honestly thought it was a thing they launched everywhere.

I got a chili cheese dog. It was better than I expected but not as good as I would have wanted. It still had that distinct Burger King taste. It wasn't bad but it's not something I feel the need to order again, especially considering there's at least a half dozen coney places within a mile of that particular BK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom