• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol review embargo lifts on release date 6.am. GUESS THE SCORE

NeoGUT feeling:

• Total voters

GymWolf

Nah, those games are easy to understand… when your only purpose in a game is padded battles to the next cutscene every 5 mins on a linear path then you have yourself an interactive movie.
I can only handle a few of these a year and usually keep those to high profile games.
Dude it's a fucking survival horror, they have all the same structure since alone in the dark with slight changes, but because we had basically zero similar games in the past gen people completely forgot the genre and now they just use cinematic game to describe them, because they are morons.

I'm not even sure what the hell are you saying tbh, probably because we have wildly different meaning of what we consider cinematic\annoying.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't mind skippable cut-scenes that much but unskippable forced slow walking sections(GOWR style) hurt replayability for me.
Unless a walking section is like 10 min instead of like 30 sec like they usually are i can't understand the complain tbh.

Also i value a game for the fun it offer during the first and more significant run, not if i can play the game another 20 times, maybe it's just me because i barely replay games.

Unchy4 is cinematic and annoying, i sincerely doubt that callisto is gonna have entire chapters of shitty walking with shitty banter and zero combat.

Last edited:

saintjules

You guys have been gaming for how long now? Felt qualified, interested and knowledgeable enough to sign up on forums online and talk about video games - yet still can't decide for yourself whether you think you will like a game or not and rely on others' opinion :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Since 1989 and I'd never listen to someone else's opinion to justify a purchase. I just posted the above to show what someone was saying about it.

This whole metacritic, guess the score nonsense is what cheapens the experience in the process of getting a game. Pros and Cons of a game. Decide. Done.

Last edited:
It's not an interactive movie, come on now. Unless this game has fuckton of QTEs and walk&talk sections + every second hour is a cutscene.

It's a pure, cinematic survival horror. Simple as that.

Ristifer

I mean its a 70 dollars + tax purchase, why are we acting like its a crime for wanting to hear more impressions from people playing it? Videos not always enough something can look cool in motion but the gameplay loop could be dull, or it can feel too punishing, or too short for some people.

Theres also accessibility features, performance for different platforms, some people may want console specific things like gyro (if its an feature) and a slew of other things you can only know once more people play it. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with being well researched before buying a product. Everyone looks at reviews when they buy stuff on amazon, why is gaming different?
Probably because it's an opinion on reddit. If we relied on reddit opinions, no one would play any games ever. I agree that it's nice to research these things before going ahead with them, but it's also problematic when people take these random opinions as gospel. No one even said anything about the pros section. They went straight to the cons, saw The Order reference, and decided they'd seen enough. That's not research.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems that way, what reignited it? God of War: Ragnarok?

From what I've seen and gathered it has no right to be compared to an "interactive movie", lol. Hell, the only games that truly deserve that label are the games made by the Until Dawn devs.
Or literally Whales Interactive and the like that do those FMV ones. Which I sometimes play as well.

Hellblade 2 is going to be a fun time when it drops.

Yerd

I can't order it from a site like GMG or Cdkeys now or I would have. They usually sell at 10-15% off on pre-orders. I'll be waiting on a discount. Unless they get some glowing reviews.

GymWolf

I can't order it from a site like GMG or Cdkeys now or I would have. They usually sell at 10-15% off on pre-orders. I'll be waiting on a discount. Unless they get some glowing reviews.
The lower price was on electronic first.com, 55 euros now it's 58.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah, those games are easy to understand… when your only purpose in a game is padded battles to the next cutscene every 5 mins on a linear path then you have yourself an interactive movie.
I can only handle a few of these a year and usually keep those to high profile games.
No. You are wrong.
Linear games does not equal movies.
I prefer to replay uncharted rather than open world games. I never replay open world

Vick

Deserved even lower
way lower...
My man speaking truth bombs. That game should’ve been 4 hours, max. That’s how far the original idea could’ve taken them. Not 22 hours!
Yup. One of the most overrated games ever. They did a good job with the visuals though.
3e4f5158283e4825619c41c6b9bc24bd_w200.gif

Best survival horror since the 128 bit era.
You guys suck.

Freeman76

I just find it very strange how many people put so much weight on single number, if I only looked at “score” to decide whats worth getting I would have missed out so many memorable games.

You have too much of a narrow point of view on this.

In this day and age of microtransactions and money grabbing bullshit, its wise to check reviews to make sure its not filled with nonsense or riddled with bugs. If a game looks like something I would like I will check reviews to see if its a finished product.

If it isnt, I can wait for patches and save some money in the process. Why the fuck ANYONE would care how I choose to buy a game is just beyond me, and why people think everyone else gives a shit that they 'dont care about scores' is just as bad.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You have too much of a narrow point of view on this.

In this day and age of microtransactions and money grabbing bullshit, it’s wise to check reviews to make sure it’s not filled with nonsense or riddled with bugs. If a game looks like something I would like I will check reviews to see if it’s a finished product.
If the game has microtransactions or filled with bugs you will find out about it way before the reviews comes out and my biggest issue is not review themselves rather people ONLY looked at the score and won’t even bother what actual reviewer is saying.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
so the game unlocks in 3 hrs and reviews drop in 9 hrs. There is something odd and exciting to be jumping in without knowing any of the average critic reaction beforehand
Pretty much how we used to game back in the day.

I remember buying Resident Evil on the PlayStation day 1 just from a magazine ad not knowing too much about it. But I knew the Capcom name and the screenshots were fire. Had a fantastic time and the game felt revolutionary. Reviews would then drop in magazines the following month after release.

Last edited:

TonyK

Don't think so, think it's midnight eastern across the world.
It was the same for God of War Ragnarok here. The night before launch, at 00:00 it was playable. I mean, Calisto's launch day is Friday 2, and this night at 00:01 will be in fact Friday. So in 3 hours is technically Friday here. As I said, I started playing Ragnarok at 00:01 the night before launch.

Bartski

Gold Member
It was the same for God of War Ragnarok here. The night before launch, at 00:00 it was playable. I mean, Calisto's launch day is Friday 2, and this night at 00:01 will be in fact Friday. So in 3 hours is technically Friday here. As I said, I started playing Ragnarok at 00:01 the night before launch.
check your unlock timer on the console.

TonyK

check your unlock timer on the console.
I haven't purchased the game yet, I'm waiting for reviews, so maybe I'm wrong. But this Spanish site that counts the hours until game launch says 3 hours, same as Ragnarok, and in that case it was right because I had it prepurchased and I played it just one minute after midnight. But again, I can be wrong for Calisto.
1LYOwtV.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I haven't purchased the game yet, I'm waiting for reviews, so maybe I'm wrong. But this Spanish site that counts the hours until game launch says 3 hours, same as Ragnarok, and in that case it was right because I had it prepurchased and I played it just one minute after midnight. But again, I can be wrong for Calisto.
1LYOwtV.jpg
I mean if this would be true, it would already be unlocked somewhere.

Bartski

Gold Member
1LYOwtV.jpg
The site is wrong. Ragnarok launched at midnight. All games bought digitally on Playstation launch at midnight, this is the first time I'm seeing a game on PS that launches with a global timer

Bartski

Gold Member
only games on Xbox launch with global timer. This has literally never happened on PSN, at least I haven't seen it and I preorder more digitally than I'd like to admit

Top Bottom