• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

studyguy

DJ5g4jmVoAA03VD.jpg%3Alarge
Scorecard

Adalaide Byrd should never be allowed to referee a boxing match again. WTF?

I can see some people maybe giving Canelo a win by 2 rounds MAX if they liked the more eye-catching shots and great countering that Canelo showed - especially round 1,2 and 11,12 but 10 rounds? That's some fucked up shit.

I had it 115-113 for GGG.

Wallach

Putting aside Byrd's fuckery, that was an amazing fight and I want a rematch of that cranked up to 11. I hope it happens sooner than later.

Look at the rounds:

1. Canelo 10-9 Golovkin, very close
2. Canelo 20-18 Golovkin
3. Canelo 30-27 Golovkin
4. Canelo 39-37 Golovkin
5. Canelo 48-47 Golovkin
6. Canelo 57-57 Golovkin
7. Canelo 66-67 Golovkin (rounds 2-7 were easy to score)
8. Canelo 76-76 Golovkin (close)
9. Canelo 86-85 Golovkin (close)
10. Canelo 96-94 Golovkin (close)
11. Canelo 106-103 Golovkin (close)

12. Canelo 116-104 Golovkin (easily for Canelo)

That's 5 close rounds on my scorecard. There's potential for a swing from 116:112 (which is what I got) to 112:116 for Golovkin. It's just that I found Canelo's defense and counterpunching superior to Golovkin's stalking. I thought he adapted to Golovkin's style very well and got the better punches in in most rounds.

Twice a year boxing fans can't recognize this. They just want to scream "robbery" and "boxing is dead" at the top of their lungs, and then show up like clockwork for the next big fight.

Vixdean

I guess we know who De La Hoya is fucking. 118-110 is a godddamn joke, robbed doesn't even begin to describe how bad that was.

I don't know a single actual boxing fan that understands the sport who would have this 118-110. That's just not a thing.

Feel excited about your "on my scorecard I had it a draw" hot takes but that was a joke.

I could believe it being scored a draw but the fact a judge scored it 118-110 doesn't not lend me to give this any benefit of the doubt.

If you want to believe a judge genuinely and fairly came to that conclusion fine, but I can't.

I think this fight proved GGG cannot be KO'd, he took Canelo's biggest shots and laughed them off.

The problem isn't "can he be KO'd", it's "can he KO Canelo"

Because if he can't, next time this goes to a decision, and it will, it's going Canelo

And then we'll get fight 3 if Canelo feels like giving it to him

akileese

Adalaide Byrd should never be allowed to referee a boxing match again. WTF?

I can see some people maybe giving Canelo a win by 2 rounds MAX if they liked the more eye-catching shots and great countering that Canelo showed - especially round 1,2 and 11,12 but 10 rounds? That's some fucked up shit.

I had it 115-113 for GGG.

I had it 116-112 but this is standard form for Adalaide Byrd. She's just very bad at her job in an industry where, unless you're taking bribes, you will have a job for life.

We'll get a rematch and ultimately that's what boxing wants. If GGG wins a unanimous decision on all three cards it's really hard to sell a rematch.

Great fight.
I got GGG 115 113, but there were a bunch of close rounds and I can see people scoring it quite differently.

And in any case, this is nowhere near the robbery that the internet outrage surely will make it out to be.

Bring on the rematch, let's trilogy that shit.

Yeah, it was not Pacquiao vs. Bradley I robbery, the fight was very close, I had Canelo winning the first three rounds and the las two, with GGG winning the rest, Canelo gave away all the middle of the fight.

118-110 is a disgrace of a scorecard and all you guys saying "well the fight was close so whatevs" does nothing to change that.

The judge was gotten to. At least admit it to yourselves.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Actually to my surprise canelo didnt feel those punches from ggg, he seemed cocky and confident once he found out he can easily take them.

Heh if you shaking your head a lot, you felt that shit. He also took a good hook to the body really early, maybe the 2nd? At the very end of the round, with like 12 seconds left. When it hit, I was like yeah he felt that one, and sure enough he retreated those last 10 seconds. Makes me wish GGG went to the body more. But again, Canelo has great movement, was never hit flush. Rematch, GGG will go to work early.

MaulerX

I guess we know who De La Hoya is fucking. 118-110 is a godddamn joke, robbed doesn't even begin to describe how bad that was.

I don't get it. Everyone is focusing on this one card but even if that card was not so lopsided the outcome would have STILL BEEN A DRAW.

Joe

I'm not an expert but I have no emotional investment in either fighter and I personally thought it was a really close fight.

Take an objective approach and try to imagine that you're reading about every single punch and block on paper in real-time. It's very easy for subjectivity and human biases to enter the decision making process.

Niven

He got stung a few times imo, never rocked because he has great movement and is slippery as hell, but it's clear that GGG has the power on him. GGG gave away early rounds out of respect, rematch that's not happening.

I agree with the respect part tbf, but I really don't think GGG power would be a problem even in a rematch. The thing that impressed me the most was the body shots GGG ate and he still didn't slow.

Quazar

Shit like this makes me pissed as a boxing fan. Part two could of happened without this. Fucking triple gs record. Fuck that noise.

Top Bottom