• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Heel

I think he used to be that. But I think that now he's bought into his own bullshit and became an exaggeration of himself, because that's how you get ahead at ESPN.

I dunno, I remember Teddy freaking out about decisions on Friday Night Fights just like this 10-15 years ago. Now he just has a bigger platform for no one to care the next day.

pixelation

Chavez roasting golovkin for his supposed "Mexican Style" right now on ESPN, he says that there was nothing "Mexican Style" about tonight's performance (where were the liver shots?), and also... golovkin looking a lot slower so... i guess he wasn't faking his last few (lackluster) performances.

PR_rambo

Banned
Yeah, this is not a huge robbery, nor the death of Boxing. Yall say it every time and it still hasn't happened.

That being said, I did think it was an easy decision, I had GGG winning by 3 to 2 rounds.

The rounds were absolutely close at times. Byrd needs to get roasted for that 118-110 nonsense.

Hopefully the rematch happens sooner or later, I dont want to wait till Cinco De Mayo, but the fight would make a killing if it did.

The promoters are the winners, Cotto is the biggest loser, he ain't getting either of these guys, though to be fair, he might be getting saved from getting KTFO'd

I dunno, I remember Teddy freaking out about decisions on Friday Night Fights just like this 10-15 years ago. Now he just has a bigger platform for no one to care the next day.

For real, that is just Teddy being Teddy and it's always fantastic to observe. Now he gets to share his gift with the world.

Gennady pushed the pace this fight and made canelo fight while moving backwards. Fighting backwards made him tired.
Truly Gennady is a man of steel and was unfazed. There were times where you could see the fatigue on Canelo.

Maybe it should be encouraged more, because the it is so close it good go either weay is bullshit. A judge can always find a reason to give a round to either fighter, doesn't mean it is right.
Yeah but on the other hand it makes it a lot easier to cop out and score rounds as draws when they're close rounds.

Chavez roasting golovkin for his supposed "Mexican Style" right now on ESPN, he says that there was nothing "Mexican Style" about tonight's performance (where were the liver shots?), and also... golovkin looking a lot slower so... i guess he wasn't faking his last few (lackluster) performances.

GGG probably kicking himself for not attacking the body more. Would have had Canelo a lot more tired, and probably prevented some of those rallys from Canelo in the later rounds. Gonna be interesting to see which adjustments each guy makes for the rematch.

Turin

Banned
Definitely. I actually think Canelo has a lot more work to do, because on top of fighting out how to hurt or back up Golovkin consistently, he has to get his body to perform better at 160. Golovkin's already there physically.

Canelo was sharper at close range but he needed a lot of breathers. Gennady can't take that all night. He's human.

On the flip slide, I think it'd benefit GGG to fight more like he did against Lemieux. He could have done a better job of maintaining his distance while pressuring.

Heel

SAS stepping in to interrupt Teddy and Teddy just walking 15 feet to the right and looking away from the camera.

This is too good.

soundpross

Neo Member
I really love teddy atlas his love and knowledge for boxing and the fighters of boxing is very genuine. that being said it was a close fight but i had GGG winning better ring generalship and pressure while landing great shots, but Canelo landed some great shots and worked the body good in the early rounds.

Wallach

Canelo was sharper at close range but he needed a lot of breathers. Gennady can't take that all night. He's human.

On the flip slide, I think it'd benefit GGG to fight more like he did against Lemieux. He could have done a better job of maintaining his distance while pressuring.

Golovkin's human, but I mean, he just did take that all night. I'd say by like round three tonight Canelo really lost the ability to force Golovkin back.

I'm just saying Canelo not only needs to figure out how to be more efficient with his energy to actually hurt Golovkin (especially with the body work - Golovkin must have steel guts or something) but he literally needs more energy overall at 160.

Golovkin doesn't need more stamina as things stand, he just has to figure out a game plan to land more effective body work and more effectively work in those weird angle chopping overhand rights against the ropes where he comes down right on your forehead.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GGG probably kicking himself for not attacking the body more. Would have had Canelo a lot more tired, and probably prevented some of those rallys from Canelo in the later rounds. Gonna be interesting to see which adjustments each guy makes for the rematch.

That's the biggest one for me. Did you notice that one good body shot GGG landed early? I mentioned it before. I was like yeah, that's what you need to do.

Wonder when will they fight the rematch? Considering the rate at which g3 is slowing down, all Canelo has to do is wait a year and a half and he should be able to easily get the W.

If all 3 judges saw 10-12 as Canelo's. Why is the 118 so impossible?

Folks are way too impressed with the hot takes of running down and stalking your opponent.

I saw two fighters not give an inch. And on the slo mo replays it appeared that Canelo landed more solid shots.

Syder

Soonest a rematch can happen would be a year from now, and GGG would be 36 then. It will get harder for him by the day.
Golovkin turned up this fight in the best shape of his life though.

Shredded 27 year old Canelo didn't look any better in terms of gas than 35 year old not so shredded Gennady.

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/237368477139075075/358837163980226560/bb3dqd6jddmz.png[/IMG]

GGG will need to step up his body shot game lol

Fercho

I don't think 10-2 either way is reasonable but Canelo absolutely landed the better shots tonight and inflicted more damage.

Yup and the judges saw that. The thing here is that Golovkin is such a beast that the punches were "meh".

Also Canelo dodging like a beautiful dancer was also noticed.

commedieu

Banned
Draw my ass. Canelo lost. No way in he'll would I watch 2. Ggg is the better boxer at that weight.

I think that slowed him down. Good fighy tho

MaulerX

Defend the the the 110-118 decision then please. I'd love to hear it

Completely missing my point. I disagree with that one card just as much as anyone. All I'm saying is that even if that card was much closer (but still in favor of Alvarez) then the outcome would had still been a draw. So no reason to go berzerk for that one card as far as the actual outcome is concerned.

DJ5mZe3UQAA-tlV

Turin

Banned
Golovkin's human, but I mean, he just did take that all night. I'd say by like round three tonight Canelo really lost the ability to force Golovkin back.

I'm just saying Canelo not only needs to figure out how to be more efficient with his energy to actually hurt Golovkin (especially with the body work - Golovkin must have steel guts or something) but he literally needs more energy overall at 160.

Golovkin doesn't need more stamina as things stand, he just has to figure out a game plan to land more effective body work and more effectively work in those weird angle chopping overhand rights against the ropes where he comes down right on your forehead.

GGG wasn't taking it consistently. That said, I don't know if Canelo's actual stamina can get that much better. He needs to get more relaxed at closer quarters. He picks shots off well but he's very tight when he does it.

GGG could have made this a clearer fight if he was more jab centric, digging it high and low. Hard straight rights to the body and chest. Most of the stuff up top comes later.

Canello landed the better punches? Fuck off.

I mean, volume doesn't mean everything but he landed 4 more power punches. The fight was a lot closer in terms of power/damaging shots than people want to believe. Canelo was backing up a lot, yes, but he was also exchanging.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
God damn, they might as well bring Max on and make this a late night episode of First Take.

Teddy Atlas is about to either cry or have heart attack or both. I agree with Stephen A. that the draw is not the issue here but 118 seems... misguided at best and downright incompetent with any inspection.

BOXING NEEDS A COMMISSIONER , I VOTE BARACK

Top Bottom