• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

TuXx

No he didnt, early half was his and ggg took the second. how is that clear?

Who looked worse in their respective halfs?

Canelo looked good early on, landing the more effective punches and giving Golovkin different looks by going to the body and countering, but Golovkin was still landing his jab and landing more overall shots.

The second half Canelo looked dog shit tired. After every combination he threw, he had to pause to gasp for air. Golovkin was just walking through all his shots, applying more pressure and making Canelo uncomfortable.

I'm not an expert but I have no emotional investment in either fighter and I personally thought it was a pretty close fight.

Take an objective approach and try to imagine that you're reading about every single punch and block on paper in real-time. It's very easy for subjectivity and human biases to enter the decision making process.

That's great - also your job isn't to professionally judge fights. Watch what comes out of this.

R960KGC.jpg

That was a great fight, and I respect the split decision. I would have given it to GGG but at least he didn't get Pacquio'd.

If only that McG/May fight was this entertaining.

Canelo looked good early on, landing the more effective punches and giving Golovkin different looks by going to the body and countering, but Golovkin was still landing his jab and landing more overall shots.

The second half Canelo looked dog shit tired. After every combination he threw, he had to pause to gasp for air. Golovkin was just walking through his shots, applying more pressure and making Canelo uncomfortable.

that is reaching, you basically admitted it was a draw since you agreed with the tale of two halves.

Syder

Let's not act like that was a robbery like Pacquiao/Horn but 118-110 is just hilarious, I doubt even the biggest Canelo stann didn't have it like that. I'm not salty about the result because it means they'll go again but goddamn is Golovkin going to be the clear fan favourite going into Part 2.

Because if he can't, next time this goes to a decision, and it will, it's going Canelo
I think it's too early to say that, both fighters will have learned a lot from this fight.

Fercho

Lol at people in this thread scoring the fight with "he was tired" , "he was resting on the ropes", "he looked scared". LMAO

pixelation

The second half Canelo looked dog shit tired. After every combination he threw, he had to pause to gasp for air. Golovkin was just walking through all his shots, applying more pressure and making Canelo uncomfortable.

So you fell asleep at the last rounds?, because Canelo clearly won those as well.

Don't play Teddy like that. He's one of the few people in boxing that keeps it real and tells it how it really is.

I think he used to be that. But I think that now he's bought into his own bullshit and became an exaggeration of himself, because that's how you get ahead at ESPN.

I have not seen anybody defend the 118:110 card (other than Byrd apparently). Why are we still talking about that?
Isn't it worth discussing? That in one of the biggest fights for years a judge could score it that way.

As a fan of the sport I think it's strange you'd want to totally dismiss it and not talk about it anymore.

Regio_sk8

Close fight but Canelo won, people saying that Golovkin won by a mile are out of their minds or maybe is their second boxing fight that they saw after mayweather vs mcgregor

Also, canelo already has a Loss, this desicion was to protect GGG record.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
That was an outstanding fight, just outstanding. While I disagree with 118-110, I totally can see the draw. It was like watching two flesh tanks throwing salvos at each other.

Boxing sorely needs a commissioner and a governing body and Adelaide Byrd needs to never be allowed near any arena of any sport ever again.

Jigolo

I like the draw. It's kind of a blur after round 6 but

Canelo won 1-4
GGG won 5-6

Then something like

Canelo 7
GGG 8-11
Canelo 12

Or
C 7
G 8-9
C 10
G 11-12

Either way it was a nice fight

Shearie

Close fight but Canelo won, people saying that Golovkin won by a mile are out of their minds or maybe is their second boxing fight that they saw after mayweather vs mcgregor

Also, canelo already has a Loss, this desicion was to protect GGG record.

Who's paying you and can you hook me up with that sweet connection?

Wallach

I think it's too early to say that, both fighters will have learned a lot from this fight.

Definitely. I actually think Canelo has a lot more work to do, because on top of fighting out how to hurt or back up Golovkin consistently, he has to get his body to perform better at 160. Golovkin's already there physically.

Top Bottom