• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania DS screens, trailer, movies here

Hero

Aria of Sorrow was awesome.

I loved the Soul System, can't wait to see what goes on in this version.

hooo

boooy
AniHawk said:
Hong Kong, eh? Sold. They always have the best deals for some reason.

Because they're cheap knock offs that use bad cart molds, and battery back up for saves (ie it'll be dead in a year when the battery dies). =P Don't support professional pirates. If it doesn't say Nintendo on the PCB, don't buy it.

Did anyone see just how much positive feedback that bootleg seller had? Only 9 people seem to have figured out that they bought copies. He has thousands of comments (presumably spammed, since many are the same) praising his fast and friendly service. That's pretty scary.

Sagitario

I'm going to buy this game even if I can't buy a DS by the end of the year (my parents are going to buy one for my little brothers, so I will use theirs :D )... Konami doesn't print too much copies of the handhelds CV games, so I better be safe than sorry :) ...

Oneself

Aria of Sorrow is good but it's not as well done as SOTN. I suggest you guys play Aria and then play SOTN right after.

IMO
SOTN+= Fighting game style moves with weapons
SOTN+= Fighting game style moves for magics
SOTN+= Perfectly perfect controls
SOTN+= Best soundtrack ever made
SOTN+= Perfect design overall (hidden passages aren't as easy to find as they are in AOS)

AOS+= it's portable and some enemies are animated better
EDIT Another + for AOS is stealing special abilities from enemies

AOS is a bit too short, a bit too easy .. the soundtrack can't even compete (it's not even half as good as Castlevania4, DraculaX, SOTN, Castlevania64 and LOI)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oneself said:
Aria of Sorrow is good but it's not as well done as SOTN. I suggest you guys play Aria and then play SOTN right after.

IMO
SOTN+= Fighting game style moves with weapons
SOTN+= Fighting game style moves for magics
SOTN+= Perfectly perfect controls
SOTN+= Best soundtrack ever made
SOTN+= Perfect design overall (hidden passages aren't as easy to find as they are in AOS)

AOS+= it's portable and some enemies are animated better

AOS is a bit too short, a bit too easy .. the soundtrack can't even compete (it's not even half as good as Castlevania4, DraculaX, SOTN, Castlevania64 and LOI)

Heart of Fire says Aria of Sorrow OOOOOWWWWWNS! :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Who handled the Circle of the Moon soundtrack anyways? There were some really damn good tracks in that game. Is it perhaps the same person handling the music for DoS?

The DoS music I've heard so far is very good. That makes me very happy. :)

Mejilan

CotM's soundtrack was so freakin' amazing because they remixed some of the best songs throughout the span of the franchise! It was like an audio museum to CV, and an arranged album would have been a brilliant way to celebrate it!

SantaC

Gold Member
dark10x said:
Who handled the Circle of the Moon soundtrack anyways? There were some really damn good tracks in that game. Is it perhaps the same person handling the music for DoS?

The DoS music I've heard so far is very good. That makes me very happy. :)

dunno, but imo circle of the moons soundtrack is better than AoS. The catacombs give me the chills.

Ironclad

Soshiro Hokkai did most of the tracks for Circle of the Moon, AFAIK. Definitely one of my favorite soundtracks though. Music from DoS sounds great. Nice trailer as well. Damn, I can't wait for this.

Pimpbaa

Mejilan said:
CotM's soundtrack was so freakin' amazing because they remixed some of the best songs throughout the span of the franchise! It was like an audio museum to CV, and an arranged album would have been a brilliant way to celebrate it!

No, that's what was so lame about CotM. Having 1 or 2 classic tracks remix is cool and stirs up some nostalgia, but when the who game uses nothing be remixed tracks, it makes the game a little less special and not as unique unique.

dark10x

Oneself said:
Now I need Circle of the moon.... damn you guys
YES, you do! The game absolutely rocks. It feels rather different from the other GBA CV games, but it has the same basic design. It's a very cool game.

Mejilan

Pimpbaa said:
No, that's what was so lame about CotM. Having 1 or 2 classic tracks remix is cool and stirs up some nostalgia, but when the who game uses nothing be remixed tracks, it makes the game a little less special and not as unique unique.

If it were every game, yeah, but the Castlevania series has a very rich aural history, IMHO. I didn't mind that they spent one game (of MANY, particularly in recent years) celebrating that history, instead of expanding it. There has been plenty of new content since.

SantaC

Gold Member
dark10x said:
YES, you do! The game absolutely rocks. It feels rather different from the other GBA CV games, but it has the same basic design. It's a very cool game.

The game is more gritty, and has a steeper challenge. In some way it's better than AoS, but the soulsystem > DSS imo :)

Sagitario

Mejilan said:
You are a good person. May I ask what kind of ring tone? If it's compatible, I'd love to get it. :)

Is just a midi file (but with good quality)...
I've my phone full of them (Zelda+Castlevania (those are the bigger ones, 4:XX minutes each) +Symphonia)... I can't even take pics anymore... =P

Oneself

If I remember correctly, there were some cool remixes of old tracks in "Legacy of Darkness" as well.. I need this soundtrack too.. if there is any. (sorry to bring back N64 memories, just do as if it never existed)

Mejilan

SantaCruZer said:
It's from Akumajo Dracula Best Vol. 1. Fantastic piece.

Damn straight. But wasn't that an arrange album?

I thought you meant an AoS OST, but to my knowledge, no OST exists, just a game soundtrack rip.

SantaC

Gold Member
Mejilan said:
Damn straight. But wasn't that an arrange album?

I thought you meant an AoS OST, but to my knowledge, no OST exists, just a game soundtrack rip.

right, my bad. You are right :)

Sagitario

SantaCruZer said:
check pm guys
:D

Mejilan said:
*scratches head*

Pretty sure there was never an LoI OST either... :/

The LoI OST was a gift/bonus given to people in Japan who preordered the game, if I recall correctly... it was called Castlevania Special Music CD or something like that...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Damn, that trailer on Gamespot looks wicked. Was that actual in game music as well?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
the year 20XX said:
But still playable? I actually don't know what downsides there are to these GBA fakes.

I got SMB3 of NZ ebay alike, despite the guy assuring me it wasn't pirate, the back of the cart read 'NINTONDO' :lol also the game wouldnt save and had a gameshark like menu at the start. booooo.

ziran

looks great! really great!! :D

BorkBork said:
Damn, that trailer on Gamespot looks wicked. Was that actual in game music as well?
yep. here is a download wma sample of the ds music [masahiko kimura].

ziran

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The mp3 sounds nothing like the trailer music.
i was really referring to the quality of the music, rather than the composition. the music in the trailer has a similar sound and feel to the wma file, so is probably from the game.

Himuro said:
Where can I get Dracula-X?

Ebay or import shop, it still going for 125-150 bones though.

Or dig for an iso, they are floating around the net.

It's a damn shame so many people never got to play it, it's the last old school castlevania before they went the metroidvania route.

And do NOT play the snes version, it's a sad joke in comparison.

dark10x

Yeah, it really is good. I couldn't help but believe that Rondo had gained so much attention simply as a result of its rarity...but that isn't true at all. It DOES play really well and is my favorite normal CV game. The controls are great, the levels are varied and awesome (and there are multiple paths through the game), and the music rocks. It's a very good game.

Top Bottom