• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Ahasverus

I don't know if he was perma banned, cause I'm sure he'd pop in and correct you otherwise, but I don't think its cool to say castlevania inspired god of war when he never said it did.

In fact... the old Lords of Shadow 1 japanese site had an interview with both IGA and Jaffe with both giving their opinions of LoS and Jaffe confirmed CV was one of his relevant experiences. The site is down, sadly.
So the part where Alucard puts Dracula to sleep for 1000 years, where did that come from? I mean, I just beat the first game and watched the cut scenes from Mirror of Fate and there was never any mention of that happening? After seeing the after credits scene in 1 just assumed Dracula had just locked himself away for all that time.
Wait and play the game ;)
This is on the regular US PSN as well. It doesn't say it on the store description, but when you click on the pre-order button it says you get a free copy of MoF HD and a dynamic theme. The dynamic theme is... okay, but pretty pixelated.
Nice! That's news. Updated.
Hah nice title. A rarely pay attention to review scores nowadays, but I've noticed most of the critics are giving it mediocre scores.
As you can see from the OP, the positives are more than the 2 negatives. Hopefully it stays that way!

gnomed

Hah nice title. A rarely pay attention to review scores nowadays, but I've noticed most of the critics are giving it mediocre scores.

When does all that story exposition stuff start happening in the first Lords of Shadow? I just finished Chapter 6 and I'm finding it to be a real slog, just hammering away at enemies for hours and hours while Patrick Stewart does nothing but narrate about random dudes I see once and immediately kill. I don't want to give up on the game because all that lore sounds rad, but I just don't enjoy playing it that much, even after dropping it down to Easy to try and blaze through it.

Arla

lol fixed :p This is the longests text I've ever written in english.

I'd recommend you to buy the game near release, the DLC might or not come out, it depends on the sale, we only know it's planned or was at some point. Also the game is very long, to be honest, this is one of the only "mid tier" games still coming and for so I encourage (if you consider it to be worthy, of course) its purchase the closest to release possible. The not-AAA-not-indie game is a rare breed and should not die IMO.

I LOVED the first game and enjoyed MoF on 3DS. I do plan on buying LoS 2, but there's lots of reasons I won't be paying $50+ for it. It's not just this game either, it's how I am about most of the games I buy.

Any word if this guy is Pan or not? or just another goat man
ss_2046a2f06039788ea259f80c9662378c1f2953d2.1920x1080.jpg

Arla

When does all that story exposition stuff start happening in the first Lords of Shadow? I just finished Chapter 6 and I'm finding it to be a real slog, just hammering away at enemies for hours and hours while Patrick Stewart does nothing but narrate about random dudes I see once and immediately kill. I don't want to give up on the game because all that lore sounds rad, but I just don't enjoy playing it that much, even after dropping it down to Easy to try and blaze through it.

Eh? It's not a text, story, cutscene heavy game. It all slowly happens throughout the game, which I enjoyed. If you wanted constant story sequences and tons of lore your expectations were misplaced.

Ahasverus

^Ha.
I'd recommend taking your time to read the bestiary and character descriptions. Those guys gave an explanation for everything in the game, even the damned daggers. The gorgeus pencil artwork seals the deal. The game is not lore heavy on cutscenes and you might lose a lot. I personally think the game gets good in the first Lord fight and onwards, if you don't enjoy it by Chapter 6, sadly I don't think you'll change your mind.

dugdug

Banned
I loved the first one and people really disliked that. Hoping with lowered expectations this will be good. Havent heard much about the soundtrack either, which doesnt make sense cause the early tracks were amazing.

That was my memory of reviews for the first as well, but, its at 83 on MC last time I checked.

The first is one of my favorite games of last gen.

Grisby

Brandon really deserves all the kudos in the world, not only he created the amazing title image banner but I thought the header tittles added some humor (lol bloody tears) I could never had thought of and at the same time coziness to the thread. <3 u pal.
Well, it's a good read man. Damn fine job.
I know the ending. Oh boy. You'll be surprised. Everyone will.
Good to hear, especially after LOS's ending.

Got to hold my want of spoilers at bay though!

Ahasverus

Awesome work OP. Pre-ordered and I can't wait. "I am the danger !"

Don't forget about the The Art of Castlevania - Lords of Shadow Hardcover

51oze3WlK-L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hardcover: 192 pages
Publisher: Titan Books (March 4, 2014)

Say what you want about their games, but no artists in the VG industry are better than Mercury's. That book will worth be its weight in gold.

@Thanks everyone for your kind words on this OT, we did our best.! Of course I accept suggestions, as I said I want the FAQ sections expanded and well everything is welcome.

Going to finally get around to beating LoS1 on PC before I play this game.

Wish me luck guys.
You go pal.

In fact... the old Lords of Shadow 1 japanese site had an interview with both IGA and Jaffe with both giving their opinions of LoS and Jaffe confirmed CV was one of his relevant experiences. The site is down, sadly.

Wait and play the game ;)

Nice! That's news. Updated.

As you can see from the OP, the positives are more than the 2 negatives. Hopefully it stays that way!
The only person to say CV had an influence on god of war was simon cox trying to deflect the focus off his game being called a clone, he himself used words from one of the other directors of the later GOW, who was speculating in the first place. Nice OT but misinformation irks me.

Ahasverus

The only person to say CV had an influence on god of war was simon cox trying to deflect the focus off his game being called a clone, he himself used words from one of the other directors of the later GOW, who was speculating in the first place. Nice OT but misinformation irks me.
I just told you there was an actual interview.
Came in here and read that someone knows the ending
1f759989_Jerry-Seinfeld-Leaving1.gif

Can't wait to get my hands on this.
Don't fear this thread. But don't even peek at the Castlevania Dungeon.

It's his brother, Agreus.

Interesting...
looking forward to what this guy has to say about his dead brother.
I want this to be a crazy 5 way revenge story

- Satan getting back at Gabriel
- Zobek getting back at Satan, and then Gabriel later on..
- Viktor and Trevor probably getting back at Gabriel for whatever reason...
- And then im hoping for Agreus getting back at Gabriel

I personally think the game gets good in the first Lord fight and onwards, if you don't enjoy it by Chapter 6, sadly I don't think you'll change your mind.

Ah well, maybe I'll just watch a Let's Play or something. Unfortunately I really like everything about the game except having to slog away at monsters the whole time, so the moment-to-moment stuff is a real drag for me. I feel like I'm still waiting for the game to pick up, but if I'm already at the good stuff then, yeah, I suppose it's just not for me.

Ahasverus

Is Mirrors of Fate HD for consoles the definitive version? Is there any case to be made for the 3DS version?
So many times yes. HD is great. You can disable QTE's. 3DS version is just barely acceptable, HD is fine. It's a good deal to have it for free with the Collection/Pre-Order. Ironically, it has a great story and it's very relevant to LOS2. If you must play the 3DS version, well, go for it. I've heard of people who hated LoS and loved MoF. It certainly looks more traditional/gothic.

Ahasverus

Ooooh heyyy, NoirVisage.
http://www.konami.jp/castlevania/jp/official/voices/index.html

- Did you received any influence as a creator?

"I have learned from" Castlevania "is important it is to play yourself and have thought. That Neme~tsukoshi the map, I was thinking to where to I go exactly is next, as fond memories remains in the memory strong. enjoying a variety is packed in "Castlevania," but, still, What was the most enjoyable I was when we were struggling with just staring at the map! game of the best than graphics shocking, such as enemy like I've never seen objects and of great decoration, play, it was realized that the I come from exerting the brain of the user "

This feels so good.

Joeki11a

Banned
I played all 20+ hours of the first game, at the time it grabbed me, all the variety of enemies
amazing art style graphics were dope, Titan batle superb...it seemed like GOW,ICO,Oblivion all with a Kojima touch.
Dat ending!

So I play the demo and uh...this is a completely new vision, look and style.
This now resembles a Devil May Cry,
Graphics are ugly, like is a new engine...
seems too gamey not epic...wtf at press button to see path?, Kojima needed to help this
Game just doesnt have the same vibe.

Does anyone know if there is a boss rush in this game, and how many boss battles aside from repeats there are?

Ooooh heyyy, NoirVisage.
http://www.konami.jp/castlevania/jp/official/voices/index.html

This feels so good.
Do you even realize what you just posted, he's speaking generally about game design, that has nothing to do with god of war specifically. Again, stop misinforming in an attempt to make this game out to be exempt from being a god of war clone, there are other ways to fight that battle.

First off, great OT... I liked the part about the WiiU port.

Despite how much I liked LoS1, the demo confirmed I'll be waiting for a used copy of this, unfortunately. Looking forward to reading people's thoughts though.

Ahasverus

Do you even realize what you just posted, he's speaking generally about game design, that has nothing to do with god of war specifically. Again, stop misinforming in an attempt to make this game out to be exempt from being a god of war clone, there are other ways to fight that battle.
image.php

@ Noir AND ONLY NOIR
Yep, there is a Boss Rush mode. I don't want to spoil it on the OP

The OT is very nice. Good job!

I loved the first game and have pre-ordered this baby when it became available. If it at least lives up to the first game I'm happy.

image.php

@ Noir AND ONLY NOIR
Yep, there is a Boss Rush mode. I don't want to spoil it on the OP
oh snap!!!!!! If all the bosses are as up to snuff as the ones they've already shown, I may have to invest despite my words. I don't know if the first game had one but them implimenting it here should be rewarded.

FrankWza

First off, great OT... I liked the part about the WiiU port.

Despite how much I liked LoS1, the demo confirmed I'll be waiting for a used copy of this, unfortunately. Looking forward to reading people's thoughts though.

Have not tried d the demo but this is disappointing to read. I really enjoyed LOS1. I was actually going to get mof hd on psn so I could jump into this but I think I'll wait on that too and hit up the rest of the backlog.

Ahasverus

Have not tried d the demo but this is disappointing to read. I really enjoyed LOS1. I was actually going to get mof hd on psn so I could jump into this but I think I'll wait on that too and hit up the rest of the backlog.
Try the demo! It's free.

Levyne

Banned
I haven't been watching a lot of the videos popping up but I hope we see a good degree of landscape variety like in the first game.

I'm also considering just giving up on the Mirror of Fate PC dream and just buying it on PSN and blitzing it out real quick..

Brandon really deserves all the kudos in the world, not only he created the amazing title image banner but I thought the header tittles added some humor (lol bloody tears) I could never had thought of and at the same time coziness to the thread. <3 u pal.

It was fun. Would do it again, 10/10

Did not really like the first game's combat, did not feel connected enough imo. Took like 3 years to beat it since buying it lol. That said I really like that it feels like im hitting something now. Might buy the full game later around DS2 unless I start seeing some stuff that makes me omfg need to steam it now!

I loved the first one and people really disliked that. Hoping with lowered expectations this will be good. Havent heard much about the soundtrack either, which doesnt make sense cause the early tracks were amazing.

The soundtrack is on youtube and it's great; best out of all 3 LoS games imo. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't believe this comes out in a week. I feel like it's been forever since it was revealed.

Shinjica

The fact that we still dont have Mirror of Fate for PC and the other bad thing i've heared for this game, i'll wait for steam sale before buy it.

greenfish

Banned
Well done OT, op! Well done!

My gripes with LOS1 making it a 6/10 for me.

What like about LOS1: Story, actors and music, everything else (see below)

I hope in LOS 2 they've removed or lessened the:

console QTE (can stay on consoles or interactive david cage movies)

Broken platforming, either your game is shadow of colessus or not, don't try to be a copycat of broken segments

Monkey puzzles, if you're gonna ENFORCE puzzles on the player (no way to skip on 2nd playthough) then by all means make them hard.

Liked that you could turn OFF QTE in demo. I'm just worried the broken platforming is still there.

How to make a perfect game: follow ninja gaiden black formula, you will never fail.

greenfish

Banned
Speaking of musical score, I can't find it anywhere?

I'm of course ONLY interested in quality, so either CD (best) or lossless. I usually buy on amazon, but can't find any mentioning of LOS2???

Tokubetsu

Very excited. Huge fan of the first and I've had that hardcover artbook on pre-order since last year =). I also bought the physical version of the first's score. Can't wait to hear/pick up the new one as well.

Top Bottom