• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt apologizes for anti-Russian dialogue and images in Ukrainian version of Cyberpunk 2077, says it was added without permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
FdJvEeKtESY9ibZbjtv95o-1200-80.jpg.webp

CD Projekt has apologized for in-game dialog and graffiti in the Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 that criticizes Russia's invasion of the country, and says it's working to remove or replace them in the next update.

A Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 was included as part of the massive 2.0 update that rolled out earlier this month. But it included more than just a new language: As noted by Zone of Games (via Rock, Paper, Shotgun), it also includes some unique commentary on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A line of police dialog referencing the Scavengers faction that normally says, "Couldn't all these assholes bite it out in the Badlands" for instance, is changed to "Couldn't all this rusnia bite it out in the Badlands?" Rusnia is a recently-coined Ukrainian term (derogatory, of course) for Russians.

(Google translated):

The Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 contains several remarks that could offend some Russian players. These remarks were not written by CD Projekt Red employees and do not represent our views. We are working to fix them and replace them in the next update. We apologize for this situation and are taking steps to ensure it does not happen again.

The Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 was handled by SBT Localization, a Ukrainian company that's worked on other games including Baldur's Gate 3, Darkest Dungeon, and The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Hard position for CD Projekt. Hope that the uproar stays small, if there is one. I am surprised that they did not put a nod for the current war in their DLC. If there is one, maybe it has not been found yet?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why would Polish developers of all people apologies for offending Russians? Have some fucking backbone for Christ sake.
There is actually debate in Poland right now over Ukraine's problems becoming their problems. They took in a massive number of refugees and are now receiving threats from Russia so it is kind of expected from any country to have a less noble portion of society wanting the troubles of others to not impact their own life. CDPR is likely worried about Russian hackers more than Russian consumers.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Still unproven and even US experts testified in the Hague that MH17 must've been downed from Ukrainian territory.

Anyway, I'm out of politics discussions.
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

I will say I agree a local outfit shouldn’t be inserting their irrelevant political views into a game, but the idea that something needs to be removed because it may offend the Russians is not the reason I’d give. Fuck their feelings

winjer

Gold Member
Still unproven and even US experts testified in the Hague that MH17 must've been downed from Ukrainian territory.

Anyway, I'm out of politics discussions.

Are you going to try to pretend it was Ukraine that shot down MH17?
You are so deep into Russian propaganda, it's pathetic.

Isendurl

Do you want third party localisers to start inserting their beliefs and ideas into dialogue they’re supposed to be simply translating?
I want CDPR to not apologize for possibly offending country that committed countless crimes against their own country and many others.
If they did not put it there, just say that and you are good. This “it's not representing our own view” is complete BS.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

I will say I agree a local outfit shouldn’t be inserting their irrelevant political views into a game, but the idea that something needs to be removed because it may offend the Russians is not the reason I’d give. Fuck their feelings
Russia have more than 140 millions people. Either you believe that most of them are for the war and the atrocities that are being made there even now, or you do not. As I have said before in the thread, hard position for CD Projekt.
I agree with the sentiment of the localization, but it's still unprofessional to sneak in politics in the translation.

I'd prefer a less apologetic comment from CDPR, but eh.
100% agree with you!

xrnzaaas

Why would Polish developers of all people apologize for offending Russians? Have some fucking backbone for Christ sake.
Because it's a big corporation now, not some (relatively) small Polish company anymore. Gotta be super careful about not offending anyone. What I always say is enjoy your favorite devs before they go bigger.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Are you going to try to pretend it was Ukraine that shot down MH17?
You are so deep into Russian propaganda, it's pathetic.

Edit: I'm gonna end the Ukraine discussion here, if you don't mind.

To get back on-topic:
Politics shouldn't be part of gaming, not on forums, nor in games.

Last edited:
I want CDPR to not apologize for possibly offending country that committed countless crimes to their own country and many others.
If they did not put it there, just say that and you are good. This “it's not representing our own view” is complete BS.
I would say it’s quite a stretch to presume the developers are hateful to the citizens of a country because of its government’s actions. We are typing this as citizens of the West ffs.

Thaedolus

Russia have more than 140 millions people. Either you believe that most of them are for the war and the atrocities that are being made there even now, or you do not. As I have said before in the thread, hard position for CD Projekt.
Or rather: I’m guessing the ones that would be offended are the ones in support of the genocide, so fuck em.

Anyway, sorry to bring up MH17 seems like that kinda derailed…

Elog

Edit: I'm gonna end the Ukraine discussion here, if you don't mind.

To get back on-topic:
Politics shouldn't be part of gaming, not on forums, nor in games.

Get things right. You are quoting a 'journalist' that writes for Greyzone that is a western FSB/ conspiracy theory crazies outlet.

It is beyond any reasonable doubt that Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 over bogus claims, and that Russia downed MH17. And that Russia currently is committing something that will be called genocide in Ukraine once the dust settles.

Here you have a good description of your 'journalist' and the claims you listed:

Killjoy-NL

Your source is a freelance journalist, that publishes conspiracy theories. And even for Russian sites.
Mine is an official Dutch judicial court.
He reported on the hearing at the ICC.

And you're quoting the BBC which has been under fire for spreading propaganda for the government, about the very claim from the Dutch 'court' that was dismissed by even US experts.

When even the US starts siding with the BUK-manufactorer which claims it wasn't the rebels, than there is no factual proof that Russia was behind it.

But again, I'm trying to end this discussion, so let's just leave it here. :)

Bojji

So, now that there's tension between Ukraine and Poland, the Anti-Russia propaganda can finally stop?

There is actually debate in Poland right now over Ukraine's problems becoming their problems. They took in a massive number of refugees and are now receiving threats from Russia so it is kind of expected from any country to have a less noble portion of society wanting the troubles of others to not impact their own life. CDPR is likely worried about Russian hackers more than Russian consumers.

Poland does't give a fuck about Russia threats, other than Ukraine Poland is the most anti Russian country in the world - we hate those motherfuckers with passion since (at least) 1772..

Tensions are there because Ukraine government acts like ungrateful fucks sometimes, Poland is their most loyal ally so far and they don't really respect that. Plus they don't really want to accept the fact that their nationalistic "heroes" did massive (and really fucking brutal, Hitler would be proud) genocide on Polish people with collaboration with Nazis during WW2.

I know many Ukrainians and most of them have someone that died in that war, some don't even have home to get back to. This war is fucked up and shouldn't really happen in 21 century.

Now CDPR probably just want to be apolitical about this, nothing to do with current things between P and U.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Your source is a freelance journalist, that publishes conspiracy theories. And even for Russian sites.
Mine is an official Dutch judicial court.

And you're quoting the BBC which has been under fire for spreading propaganda for the government, about the very claim from the Dutch 'court' that was dismissed by even US experts.

When even the US starts siding with the BUK-manufactorer which claims it wasn't the rebels, than there is no factual proof that Russia was behind it.

But again, I'm trying to end this discussion, so let's just leave it here. :
Get things right. You are quoting a 'journalist' that writes for Greyzone that is a western FSB/ conspiracy theory crazies outlet.

It is beyond any reasonable doubt that Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 over bogus claims, and that Russia downed MH17. And that Russia currently is committing something that will be called genocide in Ukraine once the dust settles.

Here you have a good description of your 'journalist' and the claims you listed:

Bellingcat... Western 'fact-checker'... because we all know how reliable fact-checkers are...

winjer

Gold Member

But again, I'm trying to end this discussion, so let's just leave it here. :)

The BBC is reporting on the decision of the court. The BBC is not the court.
And his rants were dismissed as nothing more than that. Which is the normal, for a Russian activist, like himself.
And yes, we have evidence the downing of MH17 was perpetrated by Russians.

No, you are not trying to end the discussion. You are trying to mud the waters, with Russian propaganda.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Fuck baby-raping, torture-happy, invading, genocidal ruZZia.

It appears the injected content is spot on..

And afaik this only affects the Ukrainian localized version

With that said.
1. I'd still prefer it didn't happen.
2. To be fair it puts CDPR in an odd spotlight
3. This was likely the decision of a single contractor

Killjoy-NL

The BBC is reporting on the decision of the court. The BBC is not the court.
And his rants were dismissed as nothing more than that. Which is the normal, for a Russian activist, like himself.
And yes, we have evidence the downing of MH17 was perpetrated by Russians.

No, you are not trying to end the discussion. You are trying to mud the waters, with Russian propaganda.
You are spreading Western anti-Russia propaganda. See how that works?

We could even go much deeper down the rabbit-hole and start talking about how there were medical experts on MH17 that were going to speak in Australia on how the US weaponized HIV, something we see popping up in regards to the covid vaccines.

But I'm out for real. Not worth a ban. :)

Isendurl

I would say it’s quite a stretch to presume the developers are hateful to the citizens of a country because of its government’s actions. We are typing this as citizens of the West ffs.
1. Why would you assume I'm a citizen of the West? I currently live in Bulgaria, which is Eastern bloc in case you don't know
2. "CD Projekt has apologized for in-game dialog and graffiti in the Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 that criticizes Russia's invasion of the country"
I was not aware that criticizing invasion is hateful to citizens of the county that is invading and if it is, I'd say fuck those citizens who find it offensive.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Poland does't give a fuck about Russia threats, other than Ukraine Poland is the most anti Russian country in the world - we hate those motherfuckers with passion since (at least) 1772..

Tensions are there because Ukraine government acts like ungrateful fucks sometimes, Poland is their most loyal ally so far and they don't really respect that. Plus they don't really want to accept the fact that their nationalistic "heroes" did massive (and really fucking brutal, Hitler would be proud) genocide on Polish people with collaboration with Nazis during WW2.

I know many Ukrainians and most of them have someone that died in that war, some don't even have home to get back to. This war is fucked up and shouldn't really happen in 21 century.

Now CDPR probably just want to be apolitical about this, nothing to do with current things between P and U.
Okay I was just going by what I heard from my Polish friend who got back from a year in Poland last month. 🤷‍♂️

nemiroff

Gold Member

We could even go much deeper down the rabbit-hole and start talking about how there were medical experts on MH17 that were going to speak in Australia on how the US weaponized HIV, something we see popping up in regards to the covid vaccines.

Holy shit your brain is fucked up beyond saving..

1. Why would you assume I'm a citizen of the West? I currently live in Bulgaria, which is Eastern bloc in case you don't know
2. "CD Projekt has apologized for in-game dialog and graffiti in the Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 that criticizes Russia's invasion of the country"
I was not aware that criticizing invasion is hateful to citizens of the county that is invading and if it is, I'd say fuck those citizens who find it offensive.
1. Fair enough.
2. I am referring to the dialogue detailed in the original post. Criticising the invasion is a separate issue, and complicated (as all wars are) and I think it’s correct for CDPR to not want to be seen as making a moralistic point on this in their games.

winjer

Gold Member

Pretending that an official court is propaganda is complete non-sense. Especially when your source is a proved Russian asset, pretending to be a journalist.

And let's not forget that the news at hand is a critic, inside a game, of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
But your post are all about trying to portray Ukraine as evil. Even if you had to make up stuff.
As if any of that would justify Russia invading Ukraine killing thousands of civilians and committing war crimes.
You are clearly deep into Russian propaganda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom