• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt apologizes for anti-Russian dialogue and images in Ukrainian version of Cyberpunk 2077, says it was added without permission

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

nemiroff

Gold Member
1. Fair enough.
2. I am referring to the dialogue detailed in the original post. Criticising the invasion is a separate issue, and complicated (as all wars are) and I think it’s correct for CDPR to not want to be seen as making a moralistic point on this in their games.

Criticizing a genocidal unjustified invasion of a sovereign country is complicated? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you.

Last edited:
Really surprising. That Russians can even play the game.
You'd think everyone of the target demographic of the game would either be dead, maimed, or fled the country by now.

What I don't get is why Russia is even still connected to the global internet. Cut those fucks off entirely.

Last edited:

Hugare

Fuck Russia

But I wouldnt want to see shit like this in my cyberpunk game set in 2077

I play for escapism. Dont want to be reminded of real world problems in my dystopian future game.

Tsaki

Localization shouldn't have taken it up to themselves to put things in the game. And CDPR should not have made this statement. From a financial angle, I doubt Russia is such a big part of it where it's worth risking getting criticized by the rest of their fanbase. And it's only in the Ukrainian version of the game. GG CDPR. What a way to sour the online discourse about the game now.
Pretending that an official court is propaganda is complete non-sense. Especially when your source is a proved Russian asset, pretending to be a journalist.

And let's not forget that the news at hand is a critic, inside a game, of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
But your post are all about trying to portray Ukraine as evil. Even if you had to make up stuff.
As if any of that would justify Russia invading Ukraine killing thousands of civilians and committing war crimes.
You are clearly deep into Russian propaganda.
Russian propaganda is so in your face with their lies (little green men, we destroyed 10000 Ukrainian tanks) where it makes you think that surely only old people who were brought up in the USSR would be so naive to believe a word coming out of them. But apparently lie enough and some things may slip through even in the West as a "We don't know this as 100%" or "The West does it too".
xydibV0.jpg

If your peaceful country was unjustly invaded, your people told you have no right to exist, your loved ones tortured and raped, would you still have a problem critcising it..?
I don’t have a problem with people criticising it. As a father to a son, the idea of sending him to go to war sickens my soul. I hate it and anybody who pushes for it.

I also have a problem with slogans, groupthink, jingoism, and moral grandstanding. Especially when it gets inserted into the domestic realm.

StereoVsn

I want CDPR to not apologize for possibly offending country that committed countless crimes to their own country and many others.
If they did not put it there, just say that and you are good. This “it's not representing our own view” is complete BS.
Thing is if you look at the actual text, it’s not terminology that’s derogatory to Putin and his damn regime, but Russian people in general.

Tens of thousands of whom have been jailed, hundreds of thousands or even millions escaped, and a lot of others just can’t say anything unless they get dragged into Gulags for being against “the special military operation”.

Plus it’s a localizer changing the game without authorization. I certainly understand the sentiment there, but also see the point of CDPR stepping it.

BootsLoader

Banned
Calm down everyone, CDPR did the right thing. Many big companies are in the "sanctions" game but they still sell their products through third party sellers or by changing the name of the product.
Don't make me laugh.

FingerBang

As always it's all about "take politics out of my game" only for politics we don't like.

Imagine instead of anti-Russian it's pro-LGBT stuff. A line in which a character is supposed to say "Everybody's life is precious" becomes "Trans rights are human rights because of voice actors. Then you come here and read all the people say "SO YOU ARE FOR THE TRANS GENOCIDE? FUCK YOU".

Cause that's what's happening. It's the same shit, it just your morals about the specific topic that are different.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine is despicable and Putin is a criminal

and

That line should never have been in the game

Are two sentenced that don't exclude each other. Same with the west having its share of guilt in the whole thing.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don’t have a problem with people criticising it. As a father to a son, the idea of sending him to go to war sickens my soul. I hate it and anybody who pushes for it.

I also have a problem with slogans, groupthink, jingoism, and moral grandstanding. Especially when it gets inserted into the domestic realm.
As a father of two half-Ukrainian sons I would support them if they wished to defend against genocidal invaders.

Oh no, not those slogans.., that's where I really draw the line!

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And it turns out that's all you need to be 100% against Russia's actions in Ukraine since the start of... Ukraine.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Then you know that WW2 started with Nazi Germany and Communists Russia being allies.
And even before that, they had extensive agreements for combined weapon development, rearmament and trade for several materials and tech exchange.
Without Russian support, Nazi Germany could have never rearmed itself to the same extent.
Hitler and Stalin even wrote to each other, starting with "My dear friend".

Guilty_AI

If your peaceful country was unjustly invaded, your people told you have no right to exist, your loved ones tortured and raped, would you still have a problem critcising it..?
You basically described the abridged version of human history.

Dr.Morris79

Then you know that WW2 started with Nazi Germany and Communists Russia being allies.
And even before that, they had extensive agreements for combined weapon development, rearmament and trade for several materials and tech exchange.
Without Russian support, Nazi Germany could have never rearmed itself to the same extent.
Hitler and Stalin even wrote to each other, starting with "My dear friend".
So just to be clear, because such things happend decades ago we can now clap for nazis in the free world?

Just want to be sure, I don't think many will agree on the optics but it is supposed to be a free world, after all..

Just so you know, too, I don't personally care what propaganda some devs want to do, just leave it out of gaming or games that are not dealing with such issues. There is a time and a place and spending money on someone's views you may or may not agree with is never going to sit well.

winjer

Gold Member
So just to be clear, because such things happend decades ago we can now clap for nazis in the free world?

Just want to be sure, I don't think many will agree on the optics but it is supposed to be a free world, after all..

Just so you know, too, I don't personally care what propaganda some devs want to do, just leave it out of gaming or games that are not dealing with such issues. There is a time and a place and spending money on someone's views you may or may not agree with is never going to sit well.

The people in Canada that applauded that Nazi, didn't know about his background. Only after a Jewish research institute pointed out who he was, did those politicians realize their error.
On the other hand, in Russia today Stalin is still praised, despite having killed more people than even Hitler.
And the great patriotic war in Russia, completely overlooks he extensive collaboration of Russia with Nazi Germany, before and during the first years of WW2.

Dr.Morris79

The people in Canada that applauded that Nazi, didn't know about his background. Only after a Jewish research institute pointed out who he was, did those politicians realize their error.
Oh c'mon, how many institutes are there that vet just about anyone, in Canada and that high up? That's just a weak excuse. I know you're not that naive. But then that also begs the question, if it was just an error, an oversight, then god help us all..

As for the rest of your post, I agree, and I don't like any of this thats happeening today either way and I sure as shit don't like the out in the open corruption that got any of us here.

We're paying for it all.

Del_X

The dialogue and graffiti literally breaks the fourth wall.

- USSR still exists in CP2077
- The changes make no sense in context of the universe

Yeah I’d not want a bunch of shit mistranslated with whatever message the localization team wanted to insert even if I agreed.

winjer

Gold Member
Oh c'mon, how many institutes are there that vet just about anyone, in Canada and that high up? That's just a weak excuse. I know you're not that naive. But then that also begs the question, if it was just an error, an oversight, then god help us all..

As for the rest of your post, I agree, and I don't like any of this thats happeening today either way and I sure as shit don't like the out in the open corruption that got any of us here.

We're paying for it all.

That situation in Canada was a stupid error. Nothing more. And as soon as people knew who that guy really was, they all disavowed him.
On the other hand, the Russian state still odically supports Stalin and claims that him murdering 60 million people was necessary.

There is a gigantic difference between supporting a genocidal regime, like Russia still does. And making a mistake, like Canada did. Let's not try to pretend that Canada is worse than Russia in this matter.

FeralEcho

Do you honestly think that geopolitical events of this magnitude can be cast in simple black and white?
When one country invades the other and rapes babies and bombs hospitals all while acting(literally lying to the whole world) like there's no war going on while people are butchered in the streets then yes its quite fucking black and white.Russia is pure evil in this scenario no matter how much you wrap your brain cells to make it otherwise.There's no justification for what they are doing.

Wow, didn't expect to see so many Nozelensky suckers upset about a correct decision made by the developer.
CDPR just don't want third party contractors inserting their stupid political views into a product not intended for this.

Last edited:

SolidQ

Russia is pure evil in this scenario no matter how much you wrap your brain cells to make it otherwise
Alot people doesn't have clue, who is Russia. They worse than Nazi, they want people to be slave for goverment, like now. They want capture alot countries in EU, they absolute hate USA and many more

Reaseru

Politics have no place in videogames. I think ucranians already have their own opinion about russia without a videogame have to tell them.

ByWatterson

Eh.

CDPR was one of the first publishers to pull its games out of Russia, so I don't think soft-gloving Russia is the issue here. More likely the problem is the specific hope for Russian deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom