• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2014 Steam Hardware (and Software?) Partners - Updates in the OP

Nzyme32

It would be useful for them to demonstrate the power of these machines and some new games wouldn't go a miss. But, my money is on L4D3 first. HL3 is still a couple of years away

Interfectum

We could very easily see an announcement of L4D3 or HL3 being Steam exclusive (Win/Mac/Linux/SteamOS) at CES or sometime this year. Bookmark this.

Nzyme32

Digital Storm is "taking aim at the high end of the market, targeting consumers that demand the best possible gaming experience and who are looking for a PC capable of playing any title on their new 4K display.”

I can't wait for some streaming box reveals. First time I have been excited for a CES in a long time.

The same. A push towards small form factors, reducing noise and keeping PC power as much as possible is something I've wanted for a long time. Streaming machines is something the PC market will love

fallout

The same. A push towards small form factors, reducing noise and keeping PC power as much as possible is something I've wanted for a long time. Streaming machines is something the PC market will love
It's certainly the thing that I'm looking forward to the most. If someone could build something small at a reasonable price, I think it would sell remarkably well.

Also, thanks for the updates. I probably won't be commenting much, but it's nice to have this all in one place.

MadSexual

I'm loving all the different case designs. I plan on upgrading my GPU late this year or early next, so I'll probably build a small mobile unit for the old one. SFF cases suck for the most part right now and this should change that much at least.

Martian

Say I buy one, will I be able to install windows 7 anyway? Or is it SteamOS only

I would love to buy one, if its cheaper than other pre built pcs, just because I neither have the time nor experience to build my own

Say I buy one, will I be able to install windows 7 anyway? Or is it SteamOS only

I would love to buy one, if its cheaper than other pre built pcs, just because I neither have the time nor experience to build my own

You can install whatever you want, Windows included.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Please be a full reveal and not another announcement of an announcement.

Interfectum

The architecture is simply a PC. You can install whatever you could normally install on a custom built PC.

Nzyme32

Yes you can. Building one yourself will always be cheaper but if you are not able to do that, these are good solution and there are more to be announced. Windows will certainly help you enjoy the machine and play titles yet to reach steamos but given a couple of years you'll probably find most games you want will also be on steamos. Also most games for linux/steamos use steamplay, so buy it once and enjoy it on mac, windows and linux/steamos

HariKari

Who would buy this?

It's not like it's limited to the console library, or the games on it will only be good for five years. There are people out there that pay ridiculous prices for stuff from Digital Storm, Falcon NW, Alienware etc... because they either don't know any better or don't care about the cost.

I expect to see quite a few 'enthusiast' level Steam Machines. Whether or not that makes the marketing around these boxes more murky is a valid question. My hope was that we'd see some killer small form factor builds from $500-1000 but it still seems as though these are all early in development.

Zeknurn

A Canadian friend of mine working in retail said that Valve is listed as a vendor in their system and they are currently trying to buy from them.

Nzyme32

Cheers! I'll add it to the OP, its going to be tricky to keep updates timely if each oem adds different machines and maybe even components too, and then Valve may be putting out details of steam features and maybe software. Haha should be fun!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm glad there are several other people on GAF excited about Steam Machines, too. I thought I'd be in the vast minority here.

Even if you can build a cheaper rig yourself, the benefits of SMs being popular are huge. More exposure to PC gaming, smaller form factors, lower power use, increased competition. It'll push Sony and MS, too. It's just an all around fantastic venture.

Nzyme32

It's certainly the thing that I'm looking forward to the most. If someone could build something small at a reasonable price, I think it would sell remarkably well.

Also, thanks for the updates. I probably won't be commenting much, but it's nice to have this all in one place.

Thanks it's appreciated! I figured that although we have live blogs for the conference, the rest of the week might be trickier to follow and rumour has it that there are more announcements to come tomorrow as well as today

Nzyme32

BdVlwDtCYAAkQ3e_zps0bf3e52e.jpg

Event starts in a few minutes Here is a link to Ars Technica's Blog & The Verge's live blog
t1389056400z4.png

The most organised updates will be appearing over at SteamDB's blog throughout the week so I may just give up on adding anything unless it isn't mentioned anywhere. There are also other threads that are more active such as this one

Enjoy!

Nzyme32

It's all about hardware today, only a 7 minute talk, apparently all Gabe needed to say. The hardware vendors have the details and we have to wait for the media to get there. Begin the waiting game.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/6/5281812/valve-steam-machines-hardware-specs

Steam Machines:

Alternate - $1339
CPU - Intel Core i5 4570
Graphics - Gigabyte GTX 760
RAM - 16GB
Storage - 1TB SSHD

CyberPowerPC - $499 and up
CPU - AMD/Intel Core i5 CPU
Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 270/Nvidia GTX 760
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 500GB

Digital Storm Bolt II - $2,584
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K
Graphics - GTX 780 Ti
RAM - 16GB
Storage - 1TB HDD + 120 GB SSD

Gigabyte Brix Pro - TBD
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770R
Graphics - Intel Iris Pro 5200
RAM - 2 x 4GB
Storage - 1TB SATA 6Gb/sata

Falcon Northwest - $1,799 to $6000
CPU - customizable
Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan
RAM - 8 to 16 GB
Storage - up to 6 TB

iBuyPower - $499 and up
CPU - Quad core AMD or Intel
Graphics - Radeon GCN Graphics
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 500GB+

Materiel.net - $1,098
CPU - Intel Core i5 4440
Graphics - MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 8 GB + 1 TB SSHD

Origin PC Chronos - price TBD
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K (3.9 to 4.6 GHz)
Graphics - 2 x 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX Titans

Next SPA - price TBD
CPU - Intel Core i5
Graphics - Nvidia GT 760
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 1TB

Scan NC 10 - $1,090
CPU - Intel Core i3 4000M
Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 500GB

Webhallen - $1,499
CPU - Intel Core i7
Graphics - Nvidia GT 780
RAM - 16GB
Storage - 1TB SSHD

Zotac - $599
CPU - Intel Core (TBD)
Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX
RAM - TBD
Storage - TBD

zoku88

I'm surprised that there is an option for AMD gfx in one of those.

AMD Linux drivers aren't so great when it comes to compatibility.....

HariKari

oh come on

:(

A "transitional feature" is not what I would call it. I think it's a fantastic feature that I would take advantage of even if every game on Steam ran in Linux.

A streaming device would slow the adoption of Linux. Really not in the best interests of SteamOS until their initiatives on that front have some traction.

Linux only needs one major game to become an integral part of the gaming ecosystem, says DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson.

"We strongly want to get into Linux for a reason," Gustavsson said.

"It took Halo for the first Xbox to kick off and go crazy - usually, it takes one killer app or game and then people are more than willing - it is not hard to get your hands on Linux, for example, it only takes one game that motivates you to go there."

http://www.develop-online.net/news/dice-linux-needs-one-killer-app-to-take-off/0184478

Top Bottom