• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chain Chronicle |OT| Funding Valkyria Chronicles 4 One IAP At A Time

You should give Bleach Brave Souls a try. It just released. Fill that CC void!

Eh, I'm not as big a fan of Bleach's characters. But I guess it would be nostalgic to play though the early story a lil (when bleach was good. ;p)

Playing today, I just did one mission and everyone on my team leveled up thanks to the boost haha. I guess I'll still play this just to try and get to see everyone's stories.

Aki-at

Oh man say it ain't so :<

Even though I was hardly playing Chain Chronicle as much as I use to or posting here, I still enjoyed it immensely for almost a year (I even said to one friend that I preferred it to Bayonetta 2 much to his cringe haha) It was the first game that made me change my mind about mobile games, it grabbed me with it's characters and art and to see it close is going to be pretty sad. I've always been saying though that SEGA should just try to turn the game into a proper retail effort, I mean I'd play it rather than the latest Shining game they're going to churn out. I still stand by that, I think I'd enjoy a retail release with some of these characters.

Though above all else it's been fun being part of this community, it's been the only thread I was contributing to regularly and it's been fun meeting everyone here. Not sure if I'm going to move onto another mobile game anytime soon (Hate to say it but Candy Crush is the extent of my mobile gaming right now, maybe I'll move onto War of Pirates now that SEGA decided to handle moblie localisations themselves.) but I hope I get to meet you lot again in another game.

And at the very least, I hope to see some of you in the anime thread when the Chain Chronicle anime airs so we can marvel/complain at how glorious/trashy it is :D

Well, it's kinda obvious that it will be closing down considering how inactive they are recently but I have played this game for almost a year so it's still pretty sad. It's also pretty generous for them to offer refund even when they had some minor fuck ups in the past. I remember this was the game I played during one of the worst period of my life and it sure helped in providing some fun diversions.

Same here, I was going through the roughest patch in my life and this game was there and helped me through it at times.

Kreed

Just casually decided to look at the in app information and saw this news. Really disappointing after putting so much time into the game that it won't even be playable after February.

chrono01

I was thinking today, what really upsets me [more than Gumi shutting down CC] is that they probably had discussions over whether they were going to cease service on this game for a while. Despite this, they held that string of events at the end of December [Monette tower event as well as the Hannya demon raid, both with event characters]. I'm sure, at that point [and for quite a while] the idea of them closing down the game was a possibility in their minds. Instead, they kept quiet about it and let their customers spend their Prysma [likely purchasing more in addition to that, so they could obtain the event characters and/or limit break them]. This meant more money for Gumi, of course, but also that those spending money would see little benefit/advantage to their spending, since they didn't know what was happening behind the scenes.

It would have been nice if Gumi made an announcement before all of this, letting the player-base know of the chance of the game closing down. While it wouldn't make much sense business-wise, it would at least have shown a little respect to the players who supported Gumi up until that point and given them a choice over whether to continue ahead with the purchase or hold back their funds in-case the game really did shut down. I feel bad for those that MLB'd Claudia/Febrya/Nina/etc.

Needless to say, I won't be playing any more of Gumi's game, that includes PotK. Yes, the Gumi that handles [or rather, "handled] CC isn't in-charge of PotK [it's another branch of Gumi that's behind it], but I still don't trust it. I'm not going to invest my time/money into something that will likely be dead just as quickly as CC, if not sooner, especially considering the RNG nature of it. Once the game is in full release, I can see that turning a lot of people off from it, and rightfully so. It seems like BF is the only "safe" Gumi game, but there's no way I'm going to go back to that. No thanks.

It's probably for the best, since I was playing too many gatcha games anyway, so one less is appreciated. I guess it's SIF, OP:TC, DBZ:DB, and B:BS for me. Maybe GranBlue Fantasy too, when it's released in English.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
When they let the ring cheat run amuck, I knew the end was coming.

There was no way they would have let a game breaking feature continue if they seriously wanted to have it run for several more years. They also started giving Prysma like candy, which was also a red flag.

Though, thinking it was going to end, and them killing the game outright are very different things.

I wouldn't mind jumping into JPCC, but there are so many missed tower events that it really feels like a lost cause :(

Stider

I was thinking today, what really upsets me [more than Gumi shutting down CC] is that they probably had discussions over whether they were going to cease service on this game for a while. Despite this, they held that string of events at the end of December [Monette tower event as well as the Hannya demon raid, both with event characters]. I'm sure, at that point [and for quite a while] the idea of them closing down the game was a possibility in their minds. Instead, they kept quiet about it and let their customers spend their Prysma [likely purchasing more in addition to that, so they could obtain the event characters and/or limit break them]. This meant more money for Gumi, of course, but also that those spending money would see little benefit/advantage to their spending, since they didn't know what was happening behind the scenes.

It would have been nice if Gumi made an announcement before all of this, letting the player-base know of the chance of the game closing down. While it wouldn't make much sense business-wise, it would at least have shown a little respect to the players who supported Gumi up until that point and given them a choice over whether to continue ahead with the purchase or hold back their funds in-case the game really did shut down. I feel bad for those that MLB'd Claudia/Febrya/Nina/etc.

This is how I feel too. If we look at the last few weeks in terms of events, it seems obvious now that they were getting ready to pull the plug, yet 2-3 weeks before, they had both a tower raid and a demon raid, both being events that had MULTIPLE event characters in prysma draw that players would have used existing and bought prysma for. Seems very shady to me how things have happened as I would assume raids are some of the bigger draws in prysma usage.

chrono01

This is how I feel too. If we look at the last few weeks in terms of events, it seems obvious now that they were getting ready to pull the plug, yet 2-3 weeks before, they had both a tower raid and a demon raid, both being events that had MULTIPLE event characters in prysma draw that players would have used existing and bought prysma for. Seems very shady to me how things have happened as I would assume raids are some of the bigger draws in prysma usage.
Yeah, it definitely feels like a last-minute cash grab from them. :/

Oh, I just checked the in-game news. Gumi is holding a promotion where, if you switch over/play Brave Frontier, they'll give us:

Summon Ticket x 5
Selena x 1
Mifune x 1
Merit Points x 5,000
Zel x 1,000,000
Brave Medals x 100

It's only available for people who created their accounts prior to January 18th. Nice try, Gumi, but no thanks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why do so many people have such a dislike and distrust for Gumi? Coming from Puzzle and Dragons, I thought Brave Frontier was surprisingly generous. They made some nice Quality-of-life changes before PnD did too, and their stages were never as annoying, the compensations seemed more substantial, and all in all, I enjoyed their product more.

With Chain Chronicles, they had a bunch of issues, but the game was never as popular as hoped, right? So if it took the B-Team being in operation to ensure that the game continued to get content and characters and such released, so what? Being down an extra 24hrs isn't that big a deal, for a game that ask one to play daily. And the compensations, again, were fairly nice.

Also the idea that "Gumi has harmed the brand" and "Sega would have done a better job!" both seem laughable to me. If they wanted the characters and world cultivated in this game to have a more solid world-wide presence, nothing that's happened so far is so bad that it couldn't happen.

The problem is that SEGA (USA? Europe?) suck at this stuff, and has, for the past decade or so, at least. They never bring out any of their RPGs beyond Japanese shores. They don't commission development projects to keep their IPs alive, and when they do, they're either low-tier groups, or they cancel the projects before release. The way they treat their IPs is the very reason why they made commentary about how much they could learn from now being in bed with ATLUS, who know how to properly manage, distribute, and hype their titles.

And while I can understand the salt from the release of the current events that COULD have pulled many people into buying prysma and such... from a F2P angle, I'm glad it went out with some events (even the current reduced stamina and few new characters) that let it go out with a bang. I'm happy all this stuff got out, and I get to experience it, rather than it being prepared for months on the backburner, and left to rot, already translated, but never accessible. Even if I did spend some money then (which I'd have been likely to do if not for MEH rates often), I'd have still gotten over 2 months of use out of what I purchased back in late DEC. Not ideal in the slightest, but much better than game shutting off Jan. 1st or something.

Really though, you'd think there'd be a way to migrate everything over, and keep a player base, just maybe with slower updates, or on a different hardware. I find it silly how companies are willing to throw out world building and likable characters so casually. As Steam gets more and more JP games, you'd think a series that has an approaching anime would be dumped there, before just being... dumped.

bonkeng

Spent my last remaining tockets ans prysma on various taverns. Got Milla, Sasha, Cheery, Jacob, and some other 4*.

Then deleted the app. Goodbye CC.

desverger

So I'm wondering whose call it actually was to pull the plug? It's not like Gumi is a small company and it's likely cc brought in at least some money - so it feels counterproductive to shut the game down unless they're in a huge trouble. Considering BF is probably doing alright and PotK just coming out, it seems unlikely.

Then again if their licensing deal with Sega ended and they didn't get a renew on it based on low numbers, that would seem a lot more believable for me.

garath

So I'm wondering whose call it actually was to pull the plug? It's not like Gumi is a small company and it's likely cc brought in at least some money - so it feels counterproductive to shut the game down unless they're in a huge trouble. Considering BF is probably doing alright and PotK just coming out, it seems unlikely.

Then again if their licensing deal with Sega ended and they didn't get a renew on it based on low numbers, that would seem a lot more believable for me.

That seems the most likely. Especially considering the timing. Beginning of the year, etc.

Brave frontier is a pretty good game. I played that for quite awhile but I lost interest after awhile. I don't think I'll be going back, even if the bonus applies to people that have existing BF accounts as well.

Yaari

Oh wow. They actually closed it? I quit a while ago but I always considered coming back sometime.

I have to agree, Gumi did not do a good job handling the game. I think it would have been a different story had they chosen a different publisher. IMO it took way too long to get to V2.

I won't play one of their games ever again. Sucks for people that still liked playing this.

mrtoffee

Why do so many people have such a dislike and distrust for Gumi? Coming from Puzzle and Dragons, I thought Brave Frontier was surprisingly generous. They made some nice Quality-of-life changes before PnD did too, and their stages were never as annoying, the compensations seemed more substantial, and all in all, I enjoyed their product more.

With Chain Chronicles, they had a bunch of issues, but the game was never as popular as hoped, right? So if it took the B-Team being in operation to ensure that the game continued to get content and characters and such released, so what? Being down an extra 24hrs isn't that big a deal, for a game that ask one to play daily. And the compensations, again, were fairly nice.

Also the idea that "Gumi has harmed the brand" and "Sega would have done a better job!" both seem laughable to me. If they wanted the characters and world cultivated in this game to have a more solid world-wide presence, nothing that's happened so far is so bad that it couldn't happen.

The problem is that SEGA (USA? Europe?) suck at this stuff, and has, for the past decade or so, at least. They never bring out any of their RPGs beyond Japanese shores. They don't commission development projects to keep their IPs alive, and when they do, they're either low-tier groups, or they cancel the projects before release. The way they treat their IPs is the very reason why they made commentary about how much they could learn from now being in bed with ATLUS, who know how to properly manage, distribute, and hype their titles.

And while I can understand the salt from the release of the current events that COULD have pulled many people into buying prysma and such... from a F2P angle, I'm glad it went out with some events (even the current reduced stamina and few new characters) that let it go out with a bang. I'm happy all this stuff got out, and I get to experience it, rather than it being prepared for months on the backburner, and left to rot, already translated, but never accessible. Even if I did spend some money then (which I'd have been likely to do if not for MEH rates often), I'd have still gotten over 2 months of use out of what I purchased back in late DEC. Not ideal in the slightest, but much better than game shutting off Jan. 1st or something.

Really though, you'd think there'd be a way to migrate everything over, and keep a player base, just maybe with slower updates, or on a different hardware. I find it silly how companies are willing to throw out world building and likable characters so casually. As Steam gets more and more JP games, you'd think a series that has an approaching anime would be dumped there, before just being... dumped.

Here, here. This man talks sense.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
RIP CC. I quit a long time ago, but it was fun while it lasted. These types of games live or die by (1) the addictive nature of the game and (2) the gacha, both of which directly lead to the company making money. Despite having a fun gameplay system, the gacha was just too terrible. Probably the worst in any game of this type that I've played. I know they improved drop rates in v2, but the game as dead by then.

This closing so soon after launching (compared to other games of this type) just shows how much of a risk it is to put money into these types of games. They can disappear at any time. I can't understand how some can put in thousands of dollars into these types of games, especially ones that aren't as established as the big money makers (e.g., CoC).

Anyway, Gumi was great with Brave Frontier, so I don't blame them at all.

Sabas

Banned
I dropped off the game, but was hoping v2 would get me back into it again. Shame that it's closing. Current favorites going by my Twitter feed seem to be F/GO and GranBlu, but both haven't been localized so I'm not sure what to play next. Right now I'm just sticking with Starlight Stage and Marvel Future Fight

Fishious

Nah, GUMI has a pretty bad track record with CC. I barely touched Brave Frontier so I don't know how GUMI has run it, maybe the whole company isn't terrible, but their handling of CC was pretty bad. All I really expected out of them was not to mess things up. Just to give us what the Japanese server got. But they could hardly go 3 months without some sort of major issue. I remember this because I'd consider buying prysma, they'd screw up, I'd hold off in the hopes they'd improve, they'd go a while without messing up, then royally screw up again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

With the exception of the time around the V2 launch, compensation has generally been pretty poor. Just getting a few stamina fruit for extended maintenance is understandable, but it seems like every time GUMI messed up an event themselves it was like pulling teeth to get them to even acknowledge their error. Being a "B-Team" wouldn't be an issue if they could acknowledge their errors and compensate accordingly.

For the Coro raid, she wasn't actually dropping from the chests. People complained and they tried to use the semantics of red chest vs gold chest to obfuscate the issue. It took a crazy uproar, but in the end we got a quest to get 1 copy for completing what was at the time a pretty difficult quest.

There have been a number of times GUMI did events out of order and to compensate for the fact that this might make later events easier they ramped up the difficulty in stupid ways. If I remember right the raid after Selene had HP ratcheted up to an absurd level. Despite getting better arcana, limit breaking them, leveling them, and getting better weapons I felt like I regressed every raid until we hit Sapras. Then there was Hatifas who had so many waves added that it was almost impossible given how long it took enemies just to walk on screen. Then there was the Monette tower event where the point multipliers didn't stack right, but they told us it was working as intended. Only the explanation they posted didn't match how the system actually worked in game.

Not everything they did was bad. Global exclusive arcana were generally pretty good, we got Gauntlet, Colosseum, and weapon crafting along with some exclusive raids. Of course we didn't get any collaboration events either. I really think it was a bad idea for them to go 1:1 with the Japanese rollout since as I understand it the Korean server was accelerated. Later patches came with QOL features that would benefit the game and potentially draw in more players by addressing some of the flaws inherent in the game, but here we are... without the ability to equip multiple weapons.

I do think that if Sega had published the global version they'd have done a better job. Reading about the Japanese version proves they weren't perfect either, but it seems they generally made things right in the end instead of denying any fault. Though I do agree that is pretty much a pipe dream. Without an interested global publisher I doubt Sega would have brought it over themselves. In that way it's better to have had an English version even if it was for only a year, warts and all. It doesn't absolve GUMI of their failings though.

It's possible global CC was doomed regardless and no matter what had been done it wouldn't be enough to sustain a profitable playerbase, but we'll never know because GUMI's problems managing the game certainly drove players away and did little to bring new ones in.

Keeping in mind how they handled the Hatifas raid and the Monette tower event there's a solid foundation for a general dislike of Gumi. While I think it's a bit too much at some points all their little missteps definitely add up. I mean, if you reliable mess up at least once every event people will get mad at some point. Remember how during the Hati event people would get 2* units out of their prysma pulls? That's such a big screw-up. "Being down an extra 24hrs" doesn't even begin to describe the way Gumi handled the game. I mean, Fortune Ring looping just broke everything and they did nothing about it for such a long time...

I definitely agree that they playerbase is probably a lot smaller than planned, I think we already found out during the Selene event that the number of active players is super low, at least compared to the big earners in the mobile world.

It's odd that they decided to call it quits right now though. I only have some rather innacurate Subreddit traffic stats of /r/ChainChronicle to back me up but I don't think that there has been a big drop in players recently. The Brave Frontier collaboration that happened just after Version 2 brought in a lot of players and I always had the general feeling that the amount of players was relatively stable at that point. If I had to make a guess I'd probably go for the whole "they stopped licensing" theory. With the whole Global project being a dissapointment overall. It would be a stretch to blame Gumi for all of that though, there's definitely something wrong with the core game that makes it so that people will lose interest after a while. However I believe that if they had competent people in charge for the Global version the game could've been healthy at this point.

Yeah, it definitely feels like a last-minute cash grab from them. :/

I wouldn't go that far. When you have to close down a game like this there's isn't really a correct answer. Even if you give a warning in advance in December it would probably give the same message to the players, only on an earlier time. If you look back there's always a reason why people would get upset. "oh, but I bought prysma to get the V2 gunners and now I probably can't use them anymore" or "oh, but I spent a lot of resources to get Hati and now I can't make my team". At any point in time you'll probably stub on at least a few people's toes.

The current situation is one where they didn't have an festival that could tempt people to spent money for two or so weeks. And then an announcement saying that they'll keep supporting it for at least one more month. I can't compare it to another game closing down due to a lack of experience but I think this is probably one of the better ways to wrap it up. I guess it depends on the person and the amount of money invested what you think about all of this though.

h0tp0ck3t

Screenshot_2016-01-19-15-51-03_zpsyoonhbch.png

Whelp there it is. Took some screenshots of my favorite chars, signed up for the Brave Frontier deal, nothing left but to hit the button. RIP :(

Aki-at

It's probably too late for Chain Chronicle but SEGA are starting to bring over their mobile titles on their own without the use of another publisher at least (And they've said it as much they're opening up localisation developers globally.) Though fingers crossed it's going to be less embarrassing cases of Puyo Quest getting reskinned and more like War Pirates (Who's director, incidentally, is the same director for the Jet Set Radio games and Yakuza 2)

Honestly I'm hoping Hortensia Saga and especially Chaos Dragon (For all intents and purposes, looked like Chain Chronicle 2) are on their radar too since I was most interested in trying either of those games.

chrono01

I wouldn't go that far. When you have to close down a game like this there's isn't really a correct answer. Even if you give a warning in advance in December it would probably give the same message to the players, only on an earlier time. If you look back there's always a reason why people would get upset. "oh, but I bought prysma to get the V2 gunners and now I probably can't use them anymore" or "oh, but I spent a lot of resources to get Hati and now I can't make my team". At any point in time you'll probably stub on at least a few people's toes.

The current situation is one where they didn't have an festival that could tempt people to spent money for two or so weeks. And then an announcement saying that they'll keep supporting it for at least one more month. I can't compare it to another game closing down due to a lack of experience but I think this is probably one of the better ways to wrap it up. I guess it depends on the person and the amount of money invested what you think about all of this though.
True, I'm probably still a little bit disappointed that I won't get a conclusion to the story in CC now, with the Global version closing down. I'll miss Pirika, Phoena, and the pervy Hero [at least, that's how I chose to make him], not to mention all of the other supporting characters. :(

I know, I could try the Japanese version, but not knowing much Japanese I fear I'd miss out on a lot. Bleh, such potential lost, and I spent so much time/effort on my account. Thankfully, I've only IAP'd once or twice, so I don't lose much there. I even purchased a bundle when V2 hit since I wanted to show my support. I guess it wasn't enough. :/

Krorg

I know, I could try the Japanese version, but not knowing much Japanese I fear I'd miss out on a lot. Bleh, such potential lost, and I spent so much time/effort on my account. Thankfully, I've only IAP'd once or twice, so I don't lose much there. I even purchased a bundle when V2 hit since I wanted to show my support. I guess it wasn't enough. :/

There are guides for the characters abilities and the mission requirements. It's easy to pick up if you are already familiar with the game. The story is the only part that might not get translated.

elty

I tried to play TW CC.I know the language although I am not used to the name translation. the main issue is the lack of auto battle. This make every battle a chore.

I'll miss Pirika, Phoena, and the pervy Hero [at least, that's how I chose to make him], not to mention all of the other supporting characters. :(
Same here. And honestly, how could you resist not making the Hero lean a little to the lewd side when you have Prikia constantly pushing him towards it.

pMJfM8Yl.png

Uuhh, how come they can't have auto battle?

the devs addressed this in a livestream last month:
Q: The foreign versions of the game have an autoplay battle system, won't it be added to the Japanese release?
A: We considered it, but in the end we determined it cut the fun of playing in half and decided not to implement it.

and honestly, I see their point
I never saw the appeal of auto battle nor ever though wow, I wish I had auto battle right now
not to mention, there's more than enough stuff to do in the game than for me to keep grinding on a stage over and over again

plus you can increase the battle speed up to x3 times if you really want the battles to go faster

BJK

if you were ever interested in starting JPCC, here's something that might push you into it:

...but I can't read Japanese...
...but...Valkyria!!?!

So conflicted.

Trying out Soccer Spirits...which is to say, rerolling for a 5* or better. Only tried once, seems overly complicated. Plus, I'm not really a fan of RL soccer (though I have liked a variety of its less-boring adaptations...which is why I'm being open-minded). Will probably dive into Granblue when the English language support releases, and may try to find another game or two to fill the CC -sized hole in my free time.

Fighting the desire to go all-out for Onette with my archer team...since it won't matter a month from now. Hoping there's a rate up for CS characters before the shutdown, so I'm holding on to some of my free Prysma; I'd still like to hit the goal of MLBing Phoena before the game goes away.

elty

I don't understand the hate on auto battle. No one force you to use it if you decide it is "less fun". it is extremely useful to me when

- you are going to steamroll the battle regardless
- managing melee party
- demon raid trash round
- farming random stuff when you are occupied/time restraint (lunch break at work)

I never fully micro - I always toggle auto battle on so my melee will move then toggle it off and do adjustment if required.

Yes Soccer Spirit is quite complicated. I am still confused about all the different training options like evolve, special train, super train, regular train....

Anyways, what happen to the Granblue issue where a rate up was nut really a rate up?

Aki-at

Well... At least SEGA is reviving the series.

But I'd loved to have had a team with Rosie in it :<

Seriously tempted to start up JP CC if Rosie is a confirmed unit.

Vecks

I hope JPCC doesn't die anytime soon. It's still my favorite of the gacha games. I've pretty much quit everything else. The only other mobile game I'm playing is summoners war, but I don't really enjoy it that much. Only playing that one 'cuz everyone I know is playing it for some reason.

I hope JPCC doesn't die anytime soon. It's still my favorite of the gacha games. I've pretty much quit everything else. The only other mobile game I'm playing is summoners war, but I don't really enjoy it that much. Only playing that one 'cuz everyone I know is playing it for some reason.

JPCC seems stable
the devs mentioned releasing further content after the climax chapters so it's likely they'll keep this running for a while
plus, collab brings in new people interested though we actually haven't hit the next milestone in downloads yet for a while haha
not to mention, with the new 30 pulls for a guarantee copy of a SSR system, they can easily rope in enough whales to keep the game afloat

speaking of which, new tower event is up in jpcc, holy capital with V2's of our favorite knights:
30 pulls nets you a Juliana V2 lol
Tower Reward character

Verelios

Game shutting down still crushes me. Not because I like CC but because I have a soft spot for my team. We've been together close to a year so losing it all is hard.

bonkeng

I always log in at a certain time to do colo battle. Still have that habit until i remember i don't have the game installed anymore.

This is the 2nd game i have ever played this long. And instead of me quiting, GCC quit on me.

mrtoffee

Probably not, at least for the first half of the year. CC JP needs to wrap up its Final Climax chapter thing until March/April.

Top Bottom