• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charalanazard: Starfield Direct: Did They Lie?

Cashon

Banned

Two of her videos popped up on my YouTube feed recently (the other is here and covers whether or not she thinks women are getting uglier in games; worth a watch), and I think she presents a fair argument over whether or not Bethesda lied about Starfield in this summers Direct.

Having finally put in around 8 hours into the game, I'm inclined to agree with her.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
She looked a lot better 3 years ago

maxresdefault.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I jumped on starfield the other day just to see if they did any new patches or whatever and now half the npc soldiers in the game walk around in their underwear on every planet. 🤣😵‍💫
It literally gets more every-time I turn it on.

Last edited:
So is the game doing gangbusters and thus we should be judging it by the highest standard, so this is fair?

Or is it a disappointment and we should not be kicking a game while it’s down?

This game and the discourse is so beyond the pale, and I don’t even know what that means.

Last edited:

Quillerz

Neo Member
They definitely didn’t lie outright, moreso a lie by omission.

Like pointing out that moon is really there and you can travel to it sounds amazing, but they absolutely knew what they were doing by not actually having footage of travelling from that planet to that moon because it just wouldn’t look as impressive as what people had in their heads.

Bethesda being so careful about pre-release footage and what could be previewed was definitely calculated to hide what exploration is actually like in game. The hype machine would have taken a massive hit if you had previews being published that showed space travel being a bunch of menu screens while trying to fly to a close looking planet gets you nowhere.

Cashon

Banned

Like pointing out that moon is really there and you can travel to it sounds amazing, but they absolutely knew what they were doing by not actually having footage of travelling from that planet to that moon because it just wouldn’t look as impressive as what people had in their heads.

Bethesda being so careful about pre-release footage and what could be previewed was definitely calculated to hide what exploration is actually like in game. The hype machine would have taken a massive hit if you had previews being published that showed space travel being a bunch of menu screens while trying to fly to a close looking planet gets you nowhere.
It might have actually benefitted them to just show it, because, clearly, allowing people to fill in the gaps had a negative effect on the perception of the released product.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

are you honestly telling me that Todd at no point of Starfield, who has literally lied about game features, not by omission but saying "this is X in game" and then the game releasing without it, did at no point strait up lie about game features in starfield, did he suddenly change when I wasn't looking?

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”​

― George W. Bush

Last edited:

Quillerz

Neo Member
It might have actually benefitted them to just show it, because, clearly, allowing people to fill in the gaps had a negative effect on the perception of the released product.
I agree - but a decision was made to basically hide the actual mechanics of travel until the game was released while making grandiose statements about being able to go and explore anywhere, and that feels dishonest.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but no one can deny the obvious change over the last several years. Woman in video games, and marketing in general, are uglier now. Society would rather promote an obese whale for "body positivity" than say being obese can kill you.
Yes, my post made no sense and I didn't watch the video.

I got the impression she was going through the direct and seeing how true the things said were? Are you saying the video is purely about woman characters in games?

Cashon

Banned
Yes, my post made no sense and I didn't watch the video.

I got the impression she was going through the direct and seeing how true the things said were? Are you saying the video is purely about woman characters in games?
I embedded one video and linked another.

In the embedded video, which is only about 17 minutes, so give it a watch while cooking or something, she goes through the direct and determines if she feels like they lied.

In the separate, unrelated, linked video, she discussed her thoughts on whether or not women have been getting uglier in games.

I don't think Bethesda lied, but overexaggerated certain details about exploration and roleplaying.

I do feel that the spell has somewhat broken for Bethesda. People were SUPER hyped about Starfield and when it turned out to be basically Fallout 4 in space, people reacted much more harshly because their hopes that this would be a generation-defining masterwork of a game were crushed. I doubt people are going to get as hyped about Elder Scrolls VI or whatever else Bethesda makes in the future.

People made fun of IGN giving it a 7 but that is a completely fair score for Starfield.

Last edited:

Gojiira

I mean semantics aside Bethesda did lie, by virtue of saying you can ‘freely’ travel planet to planet etc etc, their wordage was deliberately misleading.
Par for the course with Bethesda though, its a stretch to call their games ‘RPG’s’ anymore.

Cashon

Banned
I mean semantics aside Bethesda did lie, by virtue of saying you can ‘freely’ travel planet to planet etc etc, their wordage was deliberately misleading.
Par for the course with Bethesda though, its a stretch to call their games ‘RPG’s’ anymore.
In the video, they literally show you how you travel, after saying that. People decided to extrapolate more out of it, for no reason.

I just assumed what they showed is how you'd do it. Because that's what they showed.

People really brought a lot of expectations into this game without actually paying attention to what was being said and shown.

Watched the video, it was interesting. And she didn’t really find anything they lied about or even came close to lying about. Most of her issues came down to personal experience with the game and she admits she just wasn’t into those parts of the game, like stealth and space combat.

I was very disappointed with the melee combat and now looking back I see why they didn’t showcase it at all in the Direct 😆

Top Bottom