• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana / Piscatella: US Physical Software Spending Dropped Under 5% of Total Spending in 2023.

Vick

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

rm082e

I guess Mobile being included in that makes it hard for me to contextualize. It would be more helpful to know what the percentage of physical vs digital spending is for each of the three consoles.

The direction is still the same though: I expect Microsoft and Sony will not support any physical media next generation, only Nintendo with the Switch 2.

Moneal

Why include PC and mobile in physical sales? Mobile and PC are both basically zero for physical anyway. These numbers tell us nothing of the state of physical sales.

Mr Moose Mr Moose I can't quote your post, but this reminds me of a UK Boxed Charts discussion from a few months back when BBC reported a similar physical to digital split for the UK.

(across Console, Portable, PC, Cloud, Non-Console VR, Subscription and Mobile).

Last edited:
I loved physical games back in the day. If games were still made on carts, and had nice boxes with beautiful box art, manuals, maps, ect.. I'd still be championing the medium. But these days.. they're crappy flimsy plastic cases with no manuals, maps, ect (unless it's a CE) and the disc is just a piece of plastic which acts like a physical DRM to content which they could just as easily block you from accessing if they really wanted.

rm082e

It's always #SonyToo huh?
Oh, I'm not trying to "bothsides" or anything. It just seems obvious to me this is the direction they're both heading.

As the costs keep increasing, it's in their best interest to eliminate used/rentals/borrowing. Along with that, we're not going to see the cost of silicon drop at the rate it used to. Eliminating the drive and costs associated with physical media will help increase their profits. If the player base is getting more and more comfortable with it, they'll reach a point where it's just not worth continuing to cater to the shrinking pool of people who have strong feelings about physical media.

I'm guessing Microsoft is already there and the new discless Series X will be a replacement, not an option when it launches later this year. I'm assuming the PS5 Pro will support their add-on drive, but only because they want to double-dip on existing PS5 owners.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's always #SonyToo huh?
We've seen a possible prototype leak and one possibly in the wild of an all digital XSX.

The newest version of the PS5 has a disc drive. Even if the Pro won't, I'm willing to bet lots of money it will be compatible with the disc drive.

It's amazing how SonyToo keeps popping up. MS is actively moving away from physical games. Wasn't there a thread recently where Sony set up shop in some region to help with physical games?

Last edited:

OuterLimits

He's including *all* video game spending so I guess it would make sense to include those too.

Exactly. The fact physical game sales went from 10% of all video game spending to just under 5% in several years isn't a good thing since I prefer physical. Perhaps Covid in 20/21 helped speed up the transition to our mostly digital future?

It sucks that physical is becoming a bit less relevant with each passing year, but that is just reality. Perhaps this will be the one instance where Nintendo doing their own thing and releasing systems a gen or two behind their competition will be beneficial.(I hope)

Throwing mobile in there is really dumb, but I do remember how big the PC section used to be at big box and gaming stores, and it is now 100% nonexistent. This is the way everything is moving, even console. Pretty hard to deny at this point.

Topher

Gold Member
Throwing mobile in there is really dumb, but I do remember how big the PC section used to be at big box and gaming stores, and it is now 100% nonexistent. This is the way everything is moving, even console. Pretty hard to deny at this point.

Yes, but at the same time it would be nice to see accurate data and trends for physical media for the platforms that actually offer physical media. That would be useful. This just isn't.

Uh, yes it does.

It's amazing to me that analysts can't post industry wide trends without people saying how stupid they are for........... including the entire industry..

No, it doesn't. How in the world are you going to accurately analyze trends in physical media by including data that has nothing to do with physical media?

Last edited:
Yes, but at the same time it would be nice to see accurate data and trends for physical media for the platforms that actually offer physical media. That would be useful. This just isn't.
Oh, I absolutely agree. Throwing mobile in there, a platform which I have NEVER seen a physical game for in any store, is obviously done just to mess with the numbers. It's nonsensical because it has never, and never will exist, so why add that to your comparison?

No, it doesn't. How in the world are you going to accurately analyze trends in physical media by including data that has nothing to do with physical media?
Yes... it does...

He's not "analyzing trends in physical media"... he's analyzing spending trends in the gaming industry... of which physical media is simply a part.

Comparing the same data from 2019 to now shows a decrease in physical spending.

Imagine asking someone to figure out how much of a percentage of industry wide spending is on physical media vs digital... without including the parts of the industry which are digital...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yes... it does...

He's not "analyzing trends in physical media"... he's analyzing spending trends in the gaming industry... of which physical media is simply a part.

Comparing the same data from 2019 to now shows a decrease in physical spending.

Imagine asking someone to figure out how much of a percentage of the industry spending is on physical media vs digital... without including the parts of the industry which are digital...

Nonsense. We don't even know how much was spent on physical media with this data. The data is so useless that physical media sales could have actually increased and still have fallen percentage wise due to an increase in spending in mobile.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nonsense. We don't even know how much was spent on physical media with this data. The data is so useless that physical media sales could have actually increased and still have fallen percentage wise due to an increase in spending in mobile.

Even if it did, he's just reporting the current percent of spending done on physical content as part of the total spending done on gaming in the US last year.

I'm not getting why folks are being so harsh towards Mat here, lol.

PS. In the third tweet he says this:

Physical video game software spending has declined each year since 2019 in the US

Not sure but it sounds like he's specifically talking about physical only spending here, which is also declining.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Even if it did, he's just reporting the current percent of spending done on physical content as part of the total spending done on gaming in the US last year.

I'm not getting why folks are being so harsh towards Mat here, lol.

Because he is making the percentage of physical media sales look much worse than it really is.

AND YET... it would still be an accurate statement....

So.... why you mad?

I'm not mad. And I didn't say anything was inaccurate. I said it was useless. And it is.

Last edited:
Because he is making the percentage of physical media sales look much worse than it really is.

I'm not mad
Yes you are. You're attacking Mat for posting industry trends.

He's not here to help you make yourself feel better about your gaming medium of choice...

If all other aspects of the industry grew, and physical represented an even lower percentage of overall spend... then that STILL signals that there's a decline in physical spending in the industry overall...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

He's making specific points about physical media spending in the second and third tweets

2023 US spending on physical video game software was 37% lower than it was in 2019. Comparing these same two years, overall video game content spending (including physical and digital across console, portable, PC, cloud, non-console VR, subscription and mobile) increased by 25%.
Physical video game software spending has declined each year since 2019 in the US, despite the dramatic overall industry growth seen in 2020 and 2021 in particular.

Overall video game spending increased 25% from 2019 to 2023.
Physical video game software spending was 37% lower from 2019 to 2023.

That's what it reads like based on what he's putting out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom