• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Joe Lieberman is front-runner for FBI director [Edit: Nope.]

If he's the front runner I wouldn't be surprised if it's because he gave Trump an overwhelming, "yes sir, complete loyalty to you and no one else sir" kind of impression during the interviews.

Cyan

Banned
Lieberman has always been an opponent of Wikileaks. 10 years ago, he was criticized for it because Wikileaks was thought of as a defender of freedom while Bush was in office...

People thought of Wikileaks that way long after Bush left office. Hell, most of us probably hadn't even heard of them while he was in office. Remember, Chelsea Manning was 2010. Snowden was 2013. The TPP leak was 2015. It was mid-2016 when they started going all-in against Hillary, and it wasn't until then that the left really started raising eyebrows.

JP_

Banned
They intentionally pick unqualified people to disarm the government and make it useless, creating more chaos and making it easier for the right to continue to run against government.

Seems like an insanely old person to hire to head up a massive department, hope its fake news

On the other hand every time he talks, it'll be great if TV networks start airing Droopy cartoons instead.
xFPXxcA.gif

Huh, sounds like Trump's trying to throw Rosenstein under the bus again for firing Comey.

EDIT: Oops. Wrong thread. However, in light of where we are right now, Trump just said he's going to announce the new FBI Director "very, very soon." And yeah- Fuck Lieberman.

RagnarokX

Woah, this thread back-fired lol. I totally did not realize the hate for him, interesting.

NeoGAF is a gaming forum. Lieberman led the idiotic war against videogames for decades. Do we really want someone leading the FBI who tried to push an agenda based on no evidence like that?

Dude Abides

Banned
Yeah! Droopy Dog, the man who killed the public option!

Nobody tell Trump what Lieberman thinks of men who cheat on their wives.

Zips

Installing a stooge to this position seems like it would be one of, if not the best shots Trump still has at trying to make the investigation go away.

Seems like Trump shouldn't even be allowed to appoint the person who will be overseeing the investigation of him...

Eusis

NeoGAF is a gaming forum. Lieberman led the idiotic war against videogames for decades. Do we really want someone leading the FBI who tried to push an agenda based on no evidence like that?
Admittedly while that doesn't help, more pragmatically it just shouldn't be a politician from outside of the FBI in the first place. It's just his history has two prominent blemishes that make many of us go "well fuck him" regardless of his track record outside of those.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lieberman is an intellectual carpetbagger, and opportunist and disingenuous fraud. I'm sure getting older and being hated by Democrats for 17 years has made him better tho.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What's the point of appointing a 75 year old?

He also backed Republican Sen. John McCain's presidential bid in 2008 over that of former President Barack Obama, speaking at the Republican National Convention that year.
The Trump administration is good for exactly two things: prioritizing big business over everything else and undoing everything Obama did.

Lieberman went against Obama so that's good enough for Trump.

Shoeless

So if you're a Trump supporter and you get behind this decision, does this mean you stop playing COD? Or, if not, then how do you rationalize supporting a man that hates violent vidoegames while still loving and playing violent videogames yourself? Or do you simply hit the person asking that question, call them a nerd, and go back to playing COD while supporting Lieberman and burying the cognitive dissonance?

mo60

The Trump administration is good for exactly two things: prioritizing big business over everything else and undoing everything Obama did.

Lieberman went against Obama so that's good enough for Trump.

Lieberman also supported hilary clinton in the presidential election last year.

Lieberman is all but Trumps lawyer, he knows where his bodies are buried. It's insane that he would get the keys to the FBI.

Lieberman is senior counsel at the firm Kasowitz, Benson, Torres and Friedman. This firm THREATENS media on behalf of trump regarding his tax returns, his divorce settlements, and anything else trump needs squashing.

Balphon

He is comically underqualified and far too political.

I also find his actions surrounding the passage of the ACA infuriating, but that's beside the point.

Shoeless

How hard is it to pick someone that is truly independent and someone already within the FBI?

Very hard if independence imperils your political position.

It does make me wonder who's going to be worse off; the FBI itself as he attempts to dismantle it and turn it into Trump's personal Secret Police, or Lieberman as he deals with a bureau that will be resistant to this attempt.

FStubbs

Lieberman also supported hilary clinton in the presidential election last year.

Lieberman started out a Democrat, switched to Republican when Obama was running, switched back to Democrat after Obama ...

I don't want any part of this guy as head of the FBI if you catch my drift, but sounds like he fits right in with the Trump show.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Lieberman is the choice because he's the most likely to pass with Democratic votes. He's a shit stain, but he's a former conservative dem turned indy and the Dems said they would be more agreeable to Comey's replacement if a special prosecutor was selected. Well ... one was selected.

I'm most worried about the likes birtherism, benghazi, and emails getting 10 times worse with a crony intelligence agency behind it. What Comey did to the election was already troubling enough, but there's way worse that he could have done. I'd argue it's even more troubling to fire Comey over the Hillary investigation than the Russia investigation.

I don't know how much to worry about Lieberman from that perspective. I'd worry about how his ruthless hawkishness would translate to being fair, but i'd probably worry about that from any republican appointee.

Fucking Dixiecrat filth with no law enforcement qualifications.

Fuck Lieberman.

Also, any Dem who doesn't vote no to his confirmation best be prepared to get primaried.

Lieberman started out a Democrat, switched to Republican when Obama was running, switched back to Democrat after Obama ...

I don't want any part of this guy as head of the FBI if you catch my drift, but sounds like he fits right in with the Trump show.

Actually he was always a Democrat. He changed to an independent after 2010.

sangreal

Actually he changed to an independent in 2006 when he beat the Democratic candidate with the support of the GOP. Then went on to endorse McCain and speak at the Republican convention. By 2010 he was busy killing the public healthcare option

but it is true that he never caucused with the Republicans, and they certainly wanted him to in 2006 since he was the difference between a dem majority and a gop majority

benjipwns

Banned
Speaking of... I found Next Generation magazine's 1997 interview with Lieberman.
Here's the issue with the interview: https://archive.org/details/NextGeneration28Apr1997

And the subsequent issue with a MIT professors response that "no, video games are good for you": https://archive.org/details/NextGeneration29May1997

What do you think they gave Lieberman in exchange for caucusing with R's back in 2008. Must have been big.
When was this now?

2006, not 2010. He only changed to "Connecticut for Lieberman" because he had lost the Democratic primary and wasn't allowed to state he was a Democrat due to election law. Mmm legal technicalities.

Fucking Dixiecrat filth with no law enforcement qualifications.
what is this i am twelve

Lieberman is all but Trumps lawyer, he knows where his bodies are buried. It's insane that he would get the keys to the FBI.

Lieberman is senior counsel at the firm Kasowitz, Benson, Torres and Friedman. This firm THREATENS media on behalf of trump regarding his tax returns, his divorce settlements, and anything else trump needs squashing.

Now THIS is some shit right here.

Fuck Lieberman.

I think he was the tipping point why Gore didn't have a decisive victory in 2000, instead of the mess we went through and what we ended up with.

Could someone list key points as to why he would be a bad pick?

I would prefer a career guy from the FBI but seems like he'd be a better pick compared to some of the trash Trump has appointed to other departments.

Woah, this thread back-fired lol. I totally did not realize the hate for him, interesting.

Lieberman single handedly removed the single payer from Obamacare. That alone should justify all of the hate. Then there is the fact that he is 75 and FBI director is a 10 year appointment. Or the fact that FBI Director is supposed to be an apolitical position so having any former Senator is batshit crazy.

Top Bottom