• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Seriously tho, nothing beats a good French roast.

Or Jamaica blue mountain.

So I used to be a True Blue kinda guy but then one month I got some beans shipped to me by mistake which where for someone else. They told me to just keep the incorrect order and sent me my correct one later.

Anyway the blend I got in error was St Helena from Sea island coffee, and let me tell you it's amazing.

Like seriously, make an espresso of blue mountain and make a espresso of St Helena and give them a taste for comparison, I ended doing just that after I had a cup and was like "there's no way this is better than blue mountain" and yes it is...

So now that's my regular order, and I have been braching out every now and again when new blends pop up, but iv not found better yet.

Tenaciousmo

From Montreal, Quebec area, I recommend Faro Roasting House, for whole grain coffee.
I've been trying their coffees for about a year now. I'm partial to their "Malabar Mousson" brown roast. Brewed in a pour over.
It tastes amazing for the price which is halfway between supermarket prices and specialty.
Also their cold brew can drinks are AMAZING, I would bathe in it if I could.
- Using a 1zpresso JX / Hario 2-4 cups (pour Over), Timemore 078s/ Gaggia classic pro for espresso

Wife and i have found cometeer to be the best at home cold brew for our buck.

Its a sub that ships frozen pods of a variety of brands.

They started selling in costco too, but only 1 flavor vs the variety you get in their sub. Its obviously cheaper (esp when on sale) than the sub even.

you can apparently heat up the coffee and itll still retain its quality etc…but we havent tried that

Its obvs more pricey than making at home, but beats the hell out of buying coffee out.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

The best of the best
gZALi71.jpeg

doesn’t get better than illy.

Tenaciousmo

Taylors coffee bags.
wtf is a coffee bag ? like... a pouch like tea ?

Vietnam milk coffee
I heard good things about it, I've been thinking about getting the brewer

[Lavazza pouch]
I used to buy different lavazza bags every now and then, never saw that one. Prefered the Gran selezione black and green bag. stopped buying when i moved to local roaster coffees

I'm a cafe bustelo guy
I keep seeing those pop up recently what would you compare it to ?

St Helena
what roasting company are you getting coffee from ?

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I used to buy different lavazza bags every now and then, never saw that one. Prefered the Gran selezione black and green bag. stopped buying when i moved to local roaster coffees

These guys.

Sea Island Coffee.

They have 3 estates, personally I prefer the regular bamboo estate, but everyone has their own preference, so the gift set is a good start to see if you prefer a specific bean and then just order your favorite from then on.

They also do coffee capsules which I have ordered in that... there nice enough in that capsule "not enough coffee" way, better than most, but yeah bean to cup machine is where it's at.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

These guys.

Sea Island Coffee.

They have 3 estates, personally I prefer the regular bamboo estate, but everyone has their own preference, so the gift set is a good start to see if you prefer a specific bean and then just order your favorite from then on.

They also do coffee capsules which I have ordered, and there nice enough but yeah bean to cup machine is where it's at.
oof 130$ CAD before tax and shipping ... I'll try to find a closer source or a single cup at some roaster close :')

Danknugz

my go to is dunkin hazelnut , or normal dunkin. only starbucks i can drink are the super light / blonde flavors. lavassa gave me bad breath

STARSBarry

Gold Member
oof 130$ CAD before tax and shipping ... I'll try to find a closer source or a single cup at some roaster close :')

Yeah that's the issue with coffee like that, it's very hard to validate spending that much to try something new.

The only reason I ended up with them is because of an error, would never have got it otherwise. So hope you find somewhere. But if your a fan of blue mountains smooth and mellow flavour that let's you enjoy and savour it. St Helena is that same style of complex coffee, so worth having a cup it you see if offered anywhere.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

As far as instant it's better Folgers or nescafe. I know that's not saying much but whatever.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m a big coffee guy. I usually do a pour over or espresso everyday at home. My favorite beans are probably Small Planes in DC, and Intelligensia is always consistent and good.

If y’all don’t mind, I’d like to plug my buddy’s roaster. He makes incredibly good coffee, and it’s all bird-friendly. (Turns out, unregulated and irresponsible coffee cultivation can be extremely damaging to local birds and wildlife.)

His shop is called Redstart Roasters, and I’d highly recommend checking them out online and grabbing a bag. Might be able to convince him to make a GAF promo code if y’all want lol.

Muffdraul

I suppose I do get more 'tasteful enjoyment' out of my friend's coffee... probably more correct to say my friend's wife's coffee. They buy fancy beans from Trader Joe's or whatever and have a grinder, blah blah blah.

But at home, ain't nobody got time fo dat. I'm a simple man with simple tastes, so I just have a Keurig and I load it with whatever k-cups. I've tried several, and right now I'm working on a huge box of McCafe Premium Roast i.e. McDonald's coffee. Still can't get over how good their coffee is, and 7/11's. I've had Dunkins coffee at actual Dunkins, and that's some good shit. But when I tried their k-cups, they weren't so great.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

I’m a big coffee guy. I usually do a pour over or espresso everyday at home. My favorite beans are probably Small Planes in DC, and Intelligensia is always consistent and good.

If y’all don’t mind, I’d like to plug my buddy’s roaster. He makes incredibly good coffee, and it’s all bird-friendly. (Turns out, unregulated and irresponsible coffee cultivation can be extremely damaging to local birds and wildlife.)

His shop is called Redstart Roasters, and I’d highly recommend checking them out online and grabbing a bag. Might be able to convince him to make a GAF promo code if y’all want lol.

no shipping options to canada (quebec) sadly :(

Their CFO and CEO are stunning tho :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

reezoo

Is it just me or coffee and Starbucks is actually really good compare to other chains or botique cafes? some how its always a bit tangy/sour at other place but at Starbucks they done.

It’s usually a little more expensive, but if you get a chance, get 100% Hawaiian coffee. The lava makes the best coffee in the world. Hands down.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So I used to be a True Blue kinda guy but then one month I got some beans shipped to me by mistake which where for someone else. They told me to just keep the incorrect order and sent me my correct one later.

Anyway the blend I got in error was St Helena from Sea island coffee, and let me tell you it's amazing.

Like seriously, make an espresso of blue mountain and make a espresso of St Helena and give them a taste for comparison, I ended doing just that after I had a cup and was like "there's no way this is better than blue mountain" and yes it is...

So now that's my regular order, and I have been braching out every now and again when new blends pop up, but iv not found better yet.
They seem to have made one expensive mistake there. 75 GBP for three 50-gram cans of coffee? 70 GBP for 40 Nespresso-compatible capsules?

stn

I love dark roast coffee, nothing added to it. Currently I'm drinking Raven's Brew, I bought two packs and its excellent.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Thought I'd give that a go...

Eesh, too expensive a gamble for me...

I mean I'm talking about a coffee that stands head to head with Jamaican Blue Mountain, I'm surprised by the amount of people expecting it to be lower priced despite is coming from a much more remote location.

It is however quite wonderful.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I mean I'm talking about a coffee that stands head to head with Jamaican Blue Mountain, I'm surprised by the amount of people expecting it to be lower priced despite is coming from a much more remote location.

Here in the UK there's undoubtedly access to quite premium brands, but this seems a lot more than I've seen it's £65* for 125g is like £6.50 a cup.

*82USD

...Is that what you're paying?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Here in the UK there's undoubtedly access to quite premium brands, but this seems a lot more than I've seen it's £65* for 125g is like £6.50 a cup.

*82USD

...Is that what you're paying?

As I'm from the UK, yep... now that I think about it that's pretty insane, but I like what I like.

On an intresting note despite its price its the 3rd best selling coffee from the provider.

Only behind 2 much cheaper Blue Mountain estates, and despite being the same price outsells civet coffee (the ones jungle cats shit out)

So there must be something about it, if it's the 3rd best selling from a specalist provider it must be doing something right even at the price.

It is like I said the best tasting coffee iv ever had, even over Blue Mountain and I don't really do Civet or Ivory beans because I'm not really into animals shitting out something before I drink it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm more of a tea drinker tbh.

I mean I drink alot of tea as well. But it's got to be Wittards English Breakfast. Maybe we need to start a tea topic... the last time I mentioned tea however everyone took the piss out of my cup, I assume because they only drink red and not gold, so they don't know what teas supposed to look like.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
As I'm from the UK, yep... now that I think about it that's pretty insane, but I like what I like.

On an intresting note despite its price its the 3rd best selling coffee from the provider.

Only behind 2 much cheaper Blue Mountain estates, and despite being the same price outsells civet coffee (the ones jungle cats shit out)

So there must be something about it, if it's the 3rd best selling from a specalist provider it must be doing something right even at the price.

It is like I said the best tasting coffee iv ever had, even over Blue Mountain and I don't really do Civet or Ivory beans because I'm not really into animals shitting out something before I drink it.

I think I'm too habitual a coffee drinker to have a £250 a week habit (!)

Glad that you're not buying the beans that are "processed" by animals. It's quite well known that the animals live in miserable conditions and live terrible lives in the pursuit of the beans. I didn't realise that was available through the same company, I personally wouldn't spend money with a company that sold that product at all - I know this company say their beans are foraged not farmed, but I just think the whole thing needs to moved on from, because it definitely keeps the door open to continuation of the trade.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think I'm too habitual a coffee drinker to have a £250 a week habit (!), but maybe I'll try a cup at some point in the future :)

Glad that you're not buying the beans that are "processed" by animals. It's quite well known that the animals live in miserable conditions and live terrible lives in the pursuit of the beans. I didn't realise that was available through the same company, I personally wouldn't spend money with a company that sold that product at all.

I will point out that sea island specifically does not use the box farming cat method, or at least says they specifically check to make sure their estates don't, however your right at the end of the day all I have to take is their word for it. They also started their program a year before the regulators stepped in, so at least they where doing it before they where legally forced to.

Perhaps in a year or two some new BBC program will step in to reveal that they like any other business don't really care. But they dedicate a good amount of their pages specifically stating its wild foraged coffee from wild cats, I would assume they would have been called out by now if it where untrue. Otherwise I'm pretty much stuck with the only other provider of this coffee in the UK and they don't do the bamboo estate :(

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

I think I'm too habitual a coffee drinker to have a £250 a week habit (!)

Glad that you're not buying the beans that are "processed" by animals. It's quite well known that the animals live in miserable conditions and live terrible lives in the pursuit of the beans. I didn't realise that was available through the same company, I personally wouldn't spend money with a company that sold that product at all - I know this company say their beans are foraged not farmed, but I just think the whole thing needs to moved on from, because it definitely keeps the door open to continuation of the trade.
Maybe I wouldnt do it on a weekly basis but I would deffinetly want to experience it for a week on special occasions. I've seen and had worse ways to spend money

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I love coffee, specially espresso.

At home I have a nespresso machine, although less than 10 pods are worth buying (unless you’re into cereal, wood and burnt bitterness).

I often wish I had a proper home espresso setup, but on the other hand I value the convenience of nespresso a lot and don’t want to pay 1000+ just to find out that for me a better cup ain’t worth the faffing around.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Maybe I wouldnt do it on a weekly basis but I would deffinetly want to experience it for a week on special occasions. I've seen and had worse ways to spend money

Aye it's not like I drink it none stop all the time, I drink tea as well (I mean I am British) which is substantially cheaper.

kURkuSH.jpeg

Some times I fancy a cup after a hard day at work. Or if it's a nice day and I just want to sit and enjoy the weather. It's not my 3 cups a day thing, I have a pod machine for that when I want a quick and easy shot of caffeine, this is the type of thing you sit down and enjoy...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mean I drink alot of tea as well. But it's got to be Wittards English Breakfast. Maybe we need to start a tea topic... the last time I mentioned tea however everyone took the piss out of my cup, I assume because they only drink red and not gold, so they don't know what teas supposed to look like.
I'm not that fancy and vastly prefer cold tea.

Gimme a bottle of nestea lemon and i'm gold.

I hate peach tea tho.

I'm a 1 cup of coffee a day person. I grab the Lavazza Gold brand from Costco and that's my current go to for coffee. I typically have it with no sugar which has sharpened my taste buds since making the change. You can really notice the difference in quality between brands if you have it without sugar. It gives me a much greater appreciation for the varying brands of coffee out there.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Holy crap, I went to their website and thought I'd try their Nespresso Luxury Collection.
Shipping to Italy adds more than 50% to a price that's already 3x the usual Nespresso price (£38 upon £75 for the coffee).

If the shipping was like £10-£15 I could accept it, but eff that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Holy crap, I went to their website and thought I'd try their Nespresso Luxury Collection.
Shipping to Italy adds more than 50% to a price that's already 3x the usual Nespresso price (£38 upon £75 for the coffee).

If the shipping was like £10-£15 I could accept it, but eff that.

Wait really! What about amazon? I know the pods shows up there sometime because I get suggested them quite often.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wait really! What about amazon? I know the pods shows up there sometime because I get suggested them quite often.
No direct shipping from Amazon UK, unfortunately. I just checked.

About tea, I seem to remember we've had a good thread about it some time ago.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No direct shipping from Amazon UK, unfortunately. I just checked.

About tea, I seem to remember we've had a good thread about it some time ago.

Bloody Brexit, I had a look at my orders to see why I don't remember any shipping, well at I order over £100 so its free to old blighty. Honestly that sucks, sorry dude.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Bloody Brexit, I had a look at my orders to see why I don't remember any shipping, well at I order over £100 so its free to old blighty. Honestly that sucks, sorry dude.
Even better: if I put the St Helena 40 capsules in the cart, shipping is £62 upon £70 worth of coffee :messenger_downcast_sweat:

I mean... I swallow the taxes every time I make an order from Twinings UK for my tea. I may pull the triggers for this coffee one day, but that's not today.

DeVeAn

I use and Aero press best thing ever. I enjoy Dunkin coffee otherwise I get Lavazza Crema e Aroma. Always just black.

Why is it when you ask how long coffee has been sitting at Starbucks they give a look? Also, when they tilt the container over and pour the burnt crap with sediments like I'm gonna accept that? lol.

Tenaciousmo

Aye it's not like I drink it none stop all the time, I drink tea as well (I mean I am British) which is substantially cheaper.

Some times I fancy a cup after a hard day at work. Or if it's a nice day and I just want to sit and enjoy the weather. It's not my 3 cups a day thing, I have a pod machine for that when I want a quick and easy shot of caffeine, this is the type of thing you sit down and enjoy...
Tea is great but my love is with dat brown goodness I think it's a mix of texture and right amount of "coffeeness" like the roasty, caramel-y, fruity, velvety taste is not comparable IMO.

I use and Aero press best thing ever. I enjoy Dunkin coffee otherwise I get Lavazza Crema e Aroma. Always just black.

Why is it when you ask how long coffee has been sitting at Starbucks they give a look? Also, when they tilt the container over and pour the burnt crap with sediments like I'm gonna accept that? lol.
I've been wondering if i should dabble with the aeropress. I've been more than satisfied by my espresso machine, pour over, and french press, seemed a nice split between french press and espresso. that and a cold brew infuser, used to have one but shattered it to smithereens a while back

Last edited:

DeVeAn

Tea is great but my love is with dat brown goodness I think it's a mix of texture and right amount of "coffeeness" like the roasty, caramel-y, fruity, velvety taste is not comparable IMO.

I've been wondering if i should dabble with the aeropress. I've been more than satisfied by my espresso machine, pour over, and french press, seemed a nice split between french press and espresso. that and a cold brew infuser, used to have one but shattered it to smithereens a while back
The Aero press is so easy to clean too. Best tool for coffee really.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Poor Over with Cloth Filters and Trade Coffee Subscription. Whole Bean and a good grinder. Best way to have coffee imo.

IAmRei

I mostly made my self with local beans. there are lot of Arabica Sumatran bean brands in my place,.
But my own town is known for city of cafe, which also had some local brands.

I live in java island which is famous for java coffee,
kind of hard chocolate, and earthly flavor. but thats not my preference, kinda too hard for me.
i prefer to Arabica style taste, which in my local, have some sweet, bitter, fruity in balance.
pretty tasty and cheap. for a 200gr You only need $5 and i can enjoy it with my wife for a week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom