• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many cups of coffee do you drink per day?

How many cups of coffee do you drink per day (8oz)?

Votes: 86 31.2%
  • 1-2

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • 3-4

Votes: 60 21.7%
  • 5-6

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • 7+

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters

Dural

So when I first answered this thread, I was at 3 to 4 a day, but I've gotten it down to 2 and I have decaf if I crave another cup. My stress levels were getting insane, and I could feel my heart beating really fast fairly often when I was drinking more coffee. Started to scare me lol.

Ya know what's crazy though? My father is 72 and still drinks a pot a day and is healthy as can be, he's a cancer survivor too. I don't know man, maybe I'm fine to drink more? My wife is studying diatetics, and she's managed to convince me that I drink far too much coffee -_-, but maybe I don't. I will say it was starting to heavily affect my sleep, and that's for sure. I sleep better and more consistently on time now just having two cups a day. I may still have three on days that I train, but I haven't been able to train for over a month as I've been recovering from a broken hand and it's pretty tough to lift in a cast. Got it off, good to start lifting light again, guess we'll see if I put my coffee back to three now. This is an interesting topic though, and I feel like this can change a lot over time. Don't know why it affects me so much more than my father when it didn't affect me much at all in my twenties. Strange stuff.

There have been lots of studies that show coffee drinkers tend to live longer.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/heavy-coffee-drinkers-live-longer

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/publications/health-matters/do-coffee-drinkers-live-longer

https://nypost.com/2022/05/31/people-who-drink-coffee-daily-live-longer-study-says/

poodaddy

Well shit man.....maybe I need to go back to it? Not gonna lie, I kinda miss just drinking as much coffee as I want, but then also I don't really want it messing with my sleep much. I definitely think coffee is healthier for you than it is unhealthy, but I figured past two cups a day maybe I was overdoing it on caffeine, but I guess I could be full of shit haha. I drink my coffee strong too, for what that's worth. I really don't like dirty water coffee, I drink my coffee very strong, so perhaps two cups a day for me is equivalent to a two and a half cups for most people or even maybe three. I drink my coffee black too, so I'm not saying I drink this many cups of coffee and really it's just sugary dessert shit in a cup lol. For whatever that's worth.

Dural

Well shit man.....maybe I need to go back to it? Not gonna lie, I kinda miss just drinking as much coffee as I want, but then also I don't really want it messing with my sleep much. I definitely think coffee is healthier for you than it is unhealthy, but I figured past two cups a day maybe I was overdoing it on caffeine, but I guess I could be full of shit haha. I drink my coffee strong too, for what that's worth. I really don't like dirty water coffee, I drink my coffee very strong, so perhaps two cups a day for me is equivalent to a two and a half cups for most people or even maybe three. I drink my coffee black too, so I'm not saying I drink this many cups of coffee and really it's just sugary dessert shit in a cup lol. For whatever that's worth.

You could go decaffeinated if you just enjoy it but don't want it messing with your sleep. Should have the same health benefits. I've noticed caffeine affecting my sleep if I have too much after 7pm, just have to make sure I cut it before then and I'm good.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There was a time when he drank a lot of coffee, he drank 7 or 9 cups of coffee in one day, but in each cup he used 2 tablespoons, I liked the intense flavor.

It was since he started college, but over time, I avoid using coffee.

Roxkis_ii

I drink a cup of coffee every once in a while if I miss the taste.

I've switched mostly on to green and black teas, the crash is much more subtle then coffee for me.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It depends. I like to start with an iced cappucino on the train station bought there, or sometimes i just drink iced cacao (which is basically chocolate milk but hey).

On the job:
  • 2, max 3 cappucino's, strength 3 (Standard) (Strength can be from 1 to 5)
or
  • 1, max 2 espresso's, strength 5 when tired or hungover
All in the morning. In the afternoon, i switch to cold water.

The iced cappucino i buy on the station is great though (Starbucks) so though it is expensive, from time to time it is a nice morning treat...

Fools idol

Banned
So when I first answered this thread, I was at 3 to 4 a day, but I've gotten it down to 2 and I have decaf if I crave another cup. My stress levels were getting insane, and I could feel my heart beating really fast fairly often when I was drinking more coffee. Started to scare me lol.

Ya know what's crazy though? My father is 72 and still drinks a pot a day and is healthy as can be, he's a cancer survivor too. I don't know man, maybe I'm fine to drink more? My wife is studying diatetics, and she's managed to convince me that I drink far too much coffee -_-, but maybe I don't. I will say it was starting to heavily affect my sleep, and that's for sure. I sleep better and more consistently on time now just having two cups a day. I may still have three on days that I train, but I haven't been able to train for over a month as I've been recovering from a broken hand and it's pretty tough to lift in a cast. Got it off, good to start lifting light again, guess we'll see if I put my coffee back to three now. This is an interesting topic though, and I feel like this can change a lot over time. Don't know why it affects me so much more than my father when it didn't affect me much at all in my twenties. Strange stuff.

Coffee beans are full to the brim with anti-oxidants. Good quality coffee prepared well and at the right temperatures not to destroy the nutrient value has been proven to have many health benefits.

Much the same for ceremonial grade tea as well. Green matcha tea has been used for hundreds of years for it's health benefits.

Melon Husk

VJNHYHXVHXbExGcnGw0l3bBAIMwhG_dKZv5OjdRCUuU.jpg

Don't stress. Green tea has L-theanine which counteracts the caffeine in it. Cocoa powder or dark chocolate has no caffeine. Then there's red wine. You've probably heard of the French paradox?
Polyphenolic compounds to inhibit glycation and advanced glycation end products so it's all the same in the end.
There are plenty of sources for polyphenols. What they basically do is stop sugar from combining with fat and proteins into harmful things when you eat.

Last edited:

lachesis

I've been brewing & enjoying more coffee from freshly roasted bean from local roaster lately... (Still around 1-3 cups) and was looking into the health benefit.

Like links above posted by Dural - there are studies on how coffee drinkers have less heart disease and all (meaning drinking black coffee up to 4-5 cups?)

Then there's this WebMD article of how Coffee's natural oil increases the bad LDL cholesterol = raised risk of heat disease.

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/coffee-cholesterol-connection
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coffee-and-cholesterol#about-cholesterol

But don't doctors usually tell their patients to cut out coffee/caffein when someone has high cholesterol level?
I'm not following logic here.

Drink Coffee => Higher LDL Cholesterol => risk of heart disease.
Drink Coffee => ???? => less risk of heart disease.

Then rabit hole goes deeper more I look into...
like this one.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25946046/

Consumption of over 2 cups/day of Italian-style coffee is associated with increased CHD risk, but coffee consumption was not associated with plasma lipid changes, so the adverse effect of consumption appears unrelated to lipid profile.

So it's really flipping the table like Miyamoto in later stages of game development.

It somewhat frustrates me when I'm trying to be good eater as I'm aging - but the science is so inconsistent and always flip-flopping.
LIke eating eggs or dairy. It was bad, then good, then bad again then good again etc. Eating this is good, then turns out bad or have no effects etc.

Jayjayhd34

I've been brewing & enjoying more coffee from freshly roasted bean from local roaster lately... (Still around 1-3 cups) and was looking into the health benefit.

Like links above posted by Dural - there are studies on how coffee drinkers have less heart disease and all (meaning drinking black coffee up to 4-5 cups?)

Then there's this WebMD article of how Coffee's natural oil increases the bad LDL cholesterol = raised risk of heat disease.

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/coffee-cholesterol-connection
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coffee-and-cholesterol#about-cholesterol

But don't doctors usually tell their patients to cut out coffee/caffein when someone has high cholesterol level?
I'm not following logic here.

Drink Coffee => Higher LDL Cholesterol => risk of heart disease.
Drink Coffee => ???? => less risk of heart disease.

Then rabit hole goes deeper more I look into...
like this one.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25946046/

Consumption of over 2 cups/day of Italian-style coffee is associated with increased CHD risk, but coffee consumption was not associated with plasma lipid changes, so the adverse effect of consumption appears unrelated to lipid profile.

So it's really flipping the table like Miyamoto in later stages of game development.

It somewhat frustrates me when I'm trying to be good eater as I'm aging - but the science is so inconsistent and always flip-flopping.
LIke eating eggs or dairy. It was bad, then good, then bad again then good again etc. Eating this is good, then turns out bad or have no effects etc.

I drink around 5-6 coffees a day had high cholesterol 6.1 went on diet now at 4.1 was still drinking coffee on my diet and cholesterol went back down.

killatopak

Usually once a week.

I just go to this wide open coffee shop where there's only a few tables and I can relax myself every Sunday. I order my coffee and read my book for an hour and carry on with my day.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I had 2 cups today but I am out of creamer. I need to stop drinking coffee for a while maybe. I didn’t start drinking it consistently until about 2 years ago.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I started measuring out 35 grams of Folgers coffee grounds every morning. I drink that in 2 cups.

I was planning to reduce it by 1 gram every 2 weeks to slowly taper off, but I’ve held at 35 grams for a couple months.
At 11 grams a day right now. I'm surprised it took me this long to taper down. I should be at 0 in about 1.5 months.

1, maybe 2 if I am having a really boring day. I used to drink about 6 cups of regular black coffee per day when I was going through a lot, but I sort of outgrew this habit because I used to consume a lot of sugar and that is not good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I worked with a guy who left IT to brew his own coffee. I remember going home one day with a bag of his beans. I brewed myself a big pot, grabbed one of those 40 oz gas station mugs, and dumped a bunch of ice in it. I drank the entire pot of coffee within a couple minutes. I don’t do that anymore. I was so irritated when I found out the pot was empty.

Most days I’m at 1-2 cups. My job has one of those coffee machines that are plugged into the water pipes. They give us these bags to make a pot whenever we want. I do occasionally drink more than I should.

Top Bottom