• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC BOOK DAY! - 08/04/04 - What to... get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blegh...
blank.gif

Talk about a bland, unexciting week. I see just 2 books that I'm committed to, and to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less about either one; a 12-cent Batman comic is hardly reason for celebration, and DMC is garbage that I'm obligated to buy. I'm already thinking about skipping my trip to the shop this week, or waiting until this weekend.

JUN040187 BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE $0.12
JAN042358 DEVIL MAY CRY #2 $3.95

And, depending on what kind of mood I'm in at the time, I may pick up JLE #2. Or not, who knows. I'll at least take a look through it on the rack.

I'm burned out on these DC Presents books - too many awful stories for me to wager another $2. I'll take a peek at Cooke's story to see the purdy pictures, though.

BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE - Damn inflation! I remember the days when you only had to pay a shiny dime to read DC's latest Batman crossover hype up book!

Y THE LAST MAN #25

ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1 - I think this will be a step up from UFF for Ellis. Hope so, anyway.

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #63 - The issue after the incident. I still don't know how I feel about it... I guess this issue will help me decide.

ULTIMATE X-MEN #50

BLUE MONDAY PAINTED MOON #2 - Long awaited. Sure to be good.

Ryu

Two weeks of pure greatness followed by a week of just pure crap. I guess it's just a matter of checks and balances.

Whew! After throwing 50 bucks down this week (and yes, nomo, that does include the second Sleeper trade and the first two issues of Season Two), I could use a slow week.

BuddyC

Y THE LAST MAN #25
PVP #8
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1

After spending $50+ the past two weeks (stupid stupid trades), this is a welcome change.

slim pickings this week....

BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE how can they justify a 25 part series!?!??! it's insane....

BIRDS OF PREY #71 ........... hmmmm........

DC COMICS PRESENTS SUPERMAN #1 *i sure dont wanna read a story with that senile old fool from the other company, but darwin cooke is in it.

HARD TIME #7 *you guys keep missing a good series. oh well,more for me.

JUSTICE LEAGUE ELITE #2 (Of 12 ) i'm tired of reading damn maxi-series.... i'm getting tired of joe kelly's "librul JLA" too...... just write like you did in the age of obsidian!!!!

MAJESTIC #1 (Of 4) * KICK HIS REPUBLICAN ASS SUPERMAN!!!*

Y THE LAST MAN #25 (MR) *WHY? NO ONE BUY?

huh, so much for slim pickings, igot the cart halfway full.

Willco

Hollywood Square
BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE
DC COMICS PRESENTS SUPERMAN #1
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #63

Pretty tame week.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE
BIRDS OF PREY #71
DETECTIVE COMICS #797
MAJESTIC #1
THOR #83
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1
ULTIMATE X-MEN #50
UNCANNY X-MEN #447

MASB

nomoment said:
Crappiest week ever!

DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES VOL 7 TP <--- This saves it from being the worst week ever. ;)
MONOLITH #7
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #63

Maybe one or two more.

Vargas

BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE
DETECTIVE COMICS #797
EXILES #50
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #63
ULTIMATE X-MEN #50
UNCANNY X-MEN #447
X-MEN THE END BOOK ONE DREAMERS AND DEMONS #1

shoplifter

Damn slow week.

JUN040411 LEGION FOUNDATIONS TP $19.95

^^^^ This is a good jumping on point for anyone interested. The last 4 or 5 issues have been amazingly good.

Alucard

Banned
Looks like a Marvel week for me, with the exception of the Batman 12 cent adventure and MAYBE Birds of Prey #71.

Ultimate Spider-Man #63
Ultimate X-Men #50
Guardians #2
Runaways #17 (Has everyone else on the board pretty much given up on this book or something? It's still a really good read.)

lordmrw

BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE
JUSTICE LEAGUE ELITE #2
EXILES #50
THOR #83
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1 (Of 5)
ULTIMATE X-MEN #50
UNCANNY X-MEN #447
X-MEN THE END BOOK ONE DREAMERS AND DEMONS #1 (OF 6)

Not such a bad week overall. There aren't any books that I'm absolutely dying to read, but some of them are going to be solid reads. I'm hoping Andy Kubert's art will be on the same level as it was when he did Ultimate X-Men #5 and 6.

Damn, Birds of Prey has been soooo good. The premise of the book seemed so Charie's Angels cheesy to me before I started reading it (around this time last year). I never thought that Canary could be a complicated and interesting character. Simone is steering the character from mid-Bs to full A-list status. I'm also loving her handling of Huntress. Mmmm good times, good times.

So, um yeah
BIRDS OF PREY #71

FnordChan

Not a bad week, but not terribly exciting either:

Birds of Prey #71
Y the Last Man #25
Runaways #17
Ultimate Spider-Man #63
Ultimate X-Men #50
Blue Monday: Painted Moon #2 (of 4)
Queen and Country #26

Y is wrapping up a two-parter that looks to make a terrific jumping on point. If you've been curious about it, grab issues 24 and 25 and see what you think. If you don't care for it, you're only out $6.

Runaways is ending with #18, but returning in January with a new number one. I dunno if I'll be back for round two or not.

I'm enjoying the bi-weekly Birds of Prey run. Hopefully this gets the title some attention.

Finally, Oni Press makes every week extra awesome. It's about time the next Blue Monday: Painted Moon showed up, and I'm looking forward to see how the status quo change affects the gang in Queen and Country.

FnordChan

shoplifter said:
Damn slow week.

JUN040411 LEGION FOUNDATIONS TP $19.95

^^^^ This is a good jumping on point for anyone interested. The last 4 or 5 issues have been amazingly good.

aaagh, need to buy this... shoplifter, what were the issue number were lighting lad got killed? and is there a TPB for that whole second galaxy saga?

shoplifter

evil solrac v3.0 said:
aaagh, need to buy this... shoplifter, what were the issue number were lighting lad got killed? and is there a TPB for that whole second galaxy saga?

Garth
dies in Legion Lost #12
. There's no TPB for that run, though it shouldn't be too difficult to find in back issues.

THIS is a damn good source for seeing how much has happened in Legion contiunuity since Zero-Hour up to Legion Lost. From there, there's around 3 years worth of books to catch up on.

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
solrac: I'm selling the issues collected in this TPB. :)

Do a quick forum search and you should find the thread I created a few days ago.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hey, I've got a friend query for you, Nomo. Maybe you can help me out since you guys have similar tastes and both like Miracleman.

If it was your birthday, would you think a copy of Miracleman #1 and the McFarlane Miracleman statue would be a cool present or no?

nomoment

Willco said:
Hey, I've got a friend query for you, Nomo. Maybe you can help me out since you guys have similar tastes and both like Miracleman.

If it was your birthday, would you think a copy of Miracleman #1 and the McFarlane Miracleman statue would be a cool present or no?
A copy of Miracleman #1 would be pretty cool, but I'm not too sure about the statue. The Miracleman statue looks really cool on the McFarlane Toys website, but doesn't look so great in person.

I've seen the statue in a few shops, and it looks pretty average.

My roommate buys comics and I've been leeching off his purchases to read Powers, which I now fucking love and should totally start buying myself.

had to bump this but i ws just at the green lantern boards. and... well....
i copied and pasted this...

Possible clue to what's going to happen

Possible Spoilers

So I'm watching some teenie bopper show on the WB tonight called "Summerland" and two of the younger characters, (one of them wearing a Green Lantern shirt) are discussing GL:Rebirth and one charcter asks the other "do you think Hal Jordan is going to return for good"?. The 2nd young character says, "yeah if the Renegade Guardians let Hal out Kyle Rayners ring, I mean who else is going to fight Sinestro". "They trapped him there years ago and assumed Hal's form and went on a rampage". The 1st character then says "yeah and let's not forget what Parrallax did to Hal".
Well my mouth dropped, Huh, what??? Was I possibly hearing what might happen in "Rebirth". Did DC Comics let the bomb drop on some obscure TV series that no one really watches???
Wow!!!!!!!!!!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
#1. Batman and Detective kicked ass this week... the 12cent Batman book has so much in it I can't believe they choose THAT issue to be the 12cent issue.

#2. Can somebody recap Hal's goings on for me? Last I followed he was the Spectre... what happened since/after?

Blue Monday was really good. Totally essential. Really, I think the world needs more comics about masturbation. Maybe if Dr. Light had just whacked off a bit more, that whole Identity Crisis thing never would have happened. That's all I'm saying.

Also, I'm a little surprised at how good the book looks - I normally read those digest-sized trades, but I don't think that tiny format does the book any favors. It looks really nice full-sized, so I'm glad that I'm buying the single issues. Maybe I was just taking the art for granted before - who knows.

Everything else was OK. Just OK. Mayble Ultimate Nightmare was a little better than OK. Maybe Batman for Twelve Cents was a little less than OK. But, mostly.... everything was OK.

BuddyC

Chesapeake Silt said:
Blue Monday was really good. Totally essential. Really, I think the world needs more comics about masturbation. Maybe if Dr. Light had just whacked off a bit more, that whole Identity Crisis thing never would have happened. That's all I'm saying.

...did you know?

It's true! Characters don't masturbate in the DC Universe. Seriously - Gaiman had a Sandman story that he had to modify due to a masturbational reference. He was told something along the lines of "Masturbation doesn't exist in the DCU."

Seth C

BATMAN 12 CENT ADVENTURE
DC COMICS PRESENTS SUPERMAN #1
THOR #83
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #63

Alucard

Banned
Alright, let's have some reviews. I've only read 3 of the books I've picked up so far...

Runaways #17 - I'm actually kind of sad that this book is coming to an end after the next issue. This was basically the penultimate issue where everything that's been talked about since day 1 crashes together. A lot of the book is just Alex explaining how he planned mostly everything from the start, and it makes me want to go back to the beginning all over again. Seriously, this is a very solid title and I wish more people would actually take the time to read it. The artwork is especially noteworthy here. It just seems to be of a higher caliber than anything that came before it. Sure, things seem to move a little fast by the end of it, but I still thought this was a really entertaining read. I wonder what's going to happen in #18 to close out the story...for now. 9/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #63 - I'm still totally disappointed that Bendis has decided to kill off such a key character. I guess there is still a CHANCE of some kind of resurrection (I'm looking at Conners here) but it just royally sucks that things had to end the way they did. Anyways, as for this issue, I enjoyed it a lot more than the previous one. Certain things bothered me about it, like the somewhat casual way almost everyone took Gwen's death. Peter's freak out on Conners was totally believable and the stage is set for a 3 person battle royale in the next ish. Not bad, but it could have been a lot better with more sympathy. 8/10

Ultimate X-Men #50 - Yay, it's Gambit. But wait...he doesn't have his annoying accent! REJOICE! And Kubert is doing the artwork? Oh my! Still, I was kind of underwhelmed with the whole story. I'm not sure how I feel with how Vaughan handled Storm this issue (kiss on the cheek for Wolverine?...wha?), or how he handled the whole Shadowcat/Rogue/Iceman triangle. Shadowcat doesn't come off as the smart girl she really is. It seems like Vaughan is interested in odd couples all throughout this issue actually, by even pairing up Dazzler with Colossus for a somewhat strange conversation. Still, it's mutant mayhem at an amusement park...and I'm curious to see who Gambit's working for. Not bad, but after Runaways it was just a good, light read. 6.75/10

I've still got Powers #1 (I found it!), Batman 12 cent Adventure, Birds of Prey #71, and Guardians #2. Oh, and I picked up some old Green Arrow comics and an issue of the current Catwoman book since my shop is having a 40% off all back issues sale. 5 books for less than $10 Canadian!

Seth C

Batman 12 Cent Adventure - This was okay. Not a lot of action going on until right at the end of the book. Mostly it was just a bunch of adolescent whining. It was worth 12 cents, but if DC is hoping this will "bring me on" for their 25 part storyline, they're so very wrong. Unless they make them all 12 cents. Then I'd be in.

MASB

Darn my weak will! I wasn't planning on spending alot this week on comics and what do I end up coming out of the comic shop with? The TPB of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2. I don't guess I'll be regretting it in the long term though. :)

BTW in the TPB section of the shop, I noticed the first two volumes of the current Hawkman comic. Do any of you guys read that series and what do you think of it? The looks intrigued me, but I didn't really have time to check the books out.

Alucard

Banned
Come on guys, the point of these threads is to let others know what you thought of your haul as well. :) The rest of my week...

Powers #1 - Holy hell was this ever awesome. The ending might have made a bigger impression on me had I read the first volume 1 tpb, but I get the basic idea so it's still pretty huge. This is Bendis at his best; interesting stories, great dialogue, and just an all-around entertaining package. Seriously, this book is probably the best value for my money because we also get the letters section and the Powers Personals sections to keep us reading well after the issue is done. I'm in love. Must hunt down #2 and put this on my monthly list. 10/10

Batman: The 12 Cent Adventure - What do you expect for 12 cents? (20 in Canada) I liked the mini-history on Robin and the fact that Catwoman even made an appearance. Otherwise, this was pretty ho-hum and forgettable. Spoiler seems like a cool character though. I can't complain too much for the price though. 6/10

Birds of Prey #71 - I'm still not sold on this book after the 4 issues I've read so far. I like the characters (and the artwork!) but the current story doesn't strike me as being terribly interesting. But the book does have lots of boobs...and Supes didn't even annoy me with his cameo. I'll stay on for a few more issues like a good lap dog, and then make up my mind whether I'll pick it up on a regular basis. 7/10

Guardians #2 - I have decided that this book will be a fine substitute for Runaways if it keeps the same level of quality that has been present in the first 2 issues. It's not just about space aliens and some kids...it's about relationships, growing up, and coming to terms with yourself. I'm curious to see if those themes will continue in further issues, since the ending of this one suggests that the next ish will focus more on events than people. I really liked this though. Is anyone else actually reading it? 8/10

Let's hear from everybody else! I see some big lists but very few opinions on the actual content of the books people are buying.

BuddyC

Alucard - Is there any specific reason you're not reading Y: The Last Man? Fables also seems like a title you'd enjoy, if you're not reading it already.

Alucard said:
Alright, let's have some reviews. I've only read 3 of the books I've picked up so far...

Runaways #17 - I'm actually kind of sad that this book is coming to an end after the next issue. This was basically the penultimate issue where everything that's been talked about since day 1 crashes together. A lot of the book is just Alex explaining how he planned mostly everything from the start, and it makes me want to go back to the beginning all over again. Seriously, this is a very solid title and I wish more people would actually take the time to read it. The artwork is especially noteworthy here. It just seems to be of a higher caliber than anything that came before it. Sure, things seem to move a little fast by the end of it, but I still thought this was a really entertaining read. I wonder what's going to happen in #18 to close out the story...for now. 9/10

I still have to go pick this one up. I personally really enjoy the comic, honestly.

What's the deal with this supposed new #1 anyway? Is there actually any information it?

MASB said:
Darn my weak will! I wasn't planning on spending alot this week on comics and what do I end up coming out of the comic shop with? The TPB of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2. I don't guess I'll be regretting it in the long term though. :)

BTW in the TPB section of the shop, I noticed the first two volumes of the current Hawkman comic. Do any of you guys read that series and what do you think of it? The looks intrigued me, but I didn't really have time to check the books out.

yeah, i read hawkman since the beginning and i think you'll like most of the issues (couple of the single issues are weak) but overall it's solid storytelling by geoff johns and real nice art. it's like batman without any of the hang-ups.

Alucard

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Alucard - Is there any specific reason you're not reading Y: The Last Man? Fables also seems like a title you'd enjoy, if you're not reading it already.

I spend way too much money on comics as it is. :( From the few issues I've read of Y, I've loved it. I'll likely just get the trades some time down the road. Same with Fables. I'm positive that I would love both titles, but my wallet says "no!" right now. Heck, I still need to read volume 1 of Powers. And then there is Alias, which kicks soooooo much ass from what I've read (all of volume 1). And I also want to pick up Morrisson's New X-Men run...and a bunch of graphic novels like Blankets, and random stuff by Oni Press. So you see, this hobby can be depressing when you can't read everything you want. :-\

Alucard

Banned
Semjaza Azazel said:
I still have to go pick this one up. I personally really enjoy the comic, honestly.

What's the deal with this supposed new #1 anyway? Is there actually any information it?

I'm not sure what's going on with the new #1 myself. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm pretty positive that it's happening though. I'm curious how the story will progress.

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
yeah, i read hawkman since the beginning and i think you'll like most of the issues (couple of the single issues are weak) but overall it's solid storytelling by geoff johns and real nice art. it's like batman without any of the hang-ups.
The new Hawkman creative team (Palmiotti, Gray, Sook) kick ass. Grab #28-30, now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom