• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarlet Witch's new costume looks really lame on that Uncanny Avengers picture

It's like they went to John Cassaday and said, "Can you make her more...boring?"

fake-ass Jakita Wagner

1962756-planetary_large.jpg

Owzers

Doesn't matter, it's Wally Wood. You just buy it and pat yourself on the back for your good taste(as TTOB loves to let us know about)

i presume it's neither an art book or contains stories, but it's hollowed out and full of spiders so when you open it they crawl all over the place.

Call me a hipster or an outcast, but I don't think modern comic heroes or villains should wear costumes if they aren't attempting to be symbols for a cause or purpose. Uniforms are just more realistic and ground the character in some needed reality.

i presume it's neither an art book or contains stories, but it's hollowed out and full of spiders so when you open it they crawl all over the place.

Once more. . .

This massive tome is the American edition of a museum catalogue that accompanied a gigantic career retrospective on display in De Palma, Spain in 2010, the largest such exhibit ever devoted to this incredible artist.

Contents from the Spanish edition:

It will show 225 Original Art pages, among them:

8 complete stories:

- Trial by Arms (TFT #34)
- My World (WS #22)
- There Will Come Soft Rains (WF #17)
- Flesh Garden (Mad #11)
- Prince Violent (Mad #13)
- The Children (WSF #23)
- Flash Gordon and the Space Pirates (Phantom #18)
- To Kill a God (Vampirella #12)

17 Covers and Prints:

- Weird Science #14 & 21
- Mad #28
- Frontline Combat #14
- Daredevil # 9 & 10
- Dynamo #3
- Witzend #4
- Heroes Inc. Presents: #1 & 2(1969 unpublished)
- All-Star Comics #63
- Screw #418
- World of Wood #2 (by Dave Stevens)
- Prints for: Chennault, Concord, Joan of Arc & Adam and Eve

Pewtiful just salty I avoid his and TurdieBirdie's Fritchman circlejerk all boy bukkake parties. :D

This looks like it's going to be worth watching when it releases as well:

Diagram for Delinquents: Fredric Wertham and the Evolution of Comic Books

This documentary will study Fredric Wertham’s crusade to link comics with juvenile delinquency, which helped spur burnings of comic books in the United States, Congressional hearings into the role of comics and juvenile delinquency, and the creation of the Comics Code Authority as a censoring body. The documentary will also explore these events in light of comics’ subsequent evolution into more sophisticated material that is no longer primarily children’s fare. To illustrate this story, the documentary will use recreations and Wertham’s own files, most of which has never been seen before.

sca2511

Did you have to pay a fortune for Amazing Spider-Man: Omnibus Vol 1? I've kept an eye on it and it's always been a massive amount.

The price for it online is insane. I luckily found it at a local comic shop for MSRP. If I didn't find that, I was going to go and try to collect the Masterwork versions slowly, but that would of been hard on the wallet. The guy at the register was sad to see it go, he was planning to buy it down the road.

Epic stuff mate, hope you enjoy the stories =D

Thanks, I'm really going to enjoy it.

Call me a hipster or an outcast, but I don't think modern comic heroes or villains should wear costumes if they aren't attempting to be symbols for a cause or purpose. Uniforms are just more realistic and ground the character in some needed reality.

Realism is not what most comics are going for, and that's a large part of why I love them.

Chris Roberson & Allison Baker discuss Monkeybrain comics.

Chris Roberson explains the difference between work for hire and the Watchmen contract to silence all the corporate cheerleading morons who keep parroting, "But they signed a contract! *squawk* But they signed a contract!"

Go get schooled.

Posthuman

Neo Member
I've been reading Jeff Lemire's Animal Man recently; it's the best thing to come out of the New 52. Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing and his run on Batman are also pretty incredible, and I'm enjoying Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics. Green Lantern is pretty good right now, as well.

Owzers

I, like usual, have a feeling that the Third Army 4 book crossover is going to ruin Green Lantern for me yet again. Curse you War of the Green Lanterns and New Krypton!

I, like usual, have a feeling that the Third Army 4 book crossover is going to ruin Green Lantern for me yet again. Curse you War of the Green Lanterns and New Krypton!

Blackest Night shitting the bed ruined Green Lantern for me.

Then again, I read in trades - so having this massively disjointed story flowing through my Green Lantern Corps trades and Johns stealing the Mongul showdown from Tomasi cheesed me off.

Patrick Gleason leaving the art chores made dropping GLC super easy. :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The price for it online is insane. I luckily found it at a local comic shop for MSRP. If I didn't find that, I was going to go and try to collect the Masterwork versions slowly, but that would of been hard on the wallet. The guy at the register was sad to see it go, he was planning to buy it down the road.
Ah, gotcha. Sweet find. Marvel's pretty dumb about keeping their classic stuff in print and available.

posthuman said:
I've been reading Jeff Lemire's Animal Man recently; it's the best thing to come out of the New 52. Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing and his run on Batman are also pretty incredible, and I'm enjoying Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics. Green Lantern is pretty good right now, as well.
I just finished the Frankenstein trade, and that was pretty fun. It's kind of like DC's version of Hellboy. Jeff Lemire constantly kicks ass. He might be my favorite writer out there at the moment.

I'm reading the Great Darkness Saga for the first time. It's like these old school Levitz comics were made for panel flow. There are so many panels to each page, but on the iPad each one gets the full-screen treatment. I just read the annual where it starts last night, it's like it was 200 pages long.

I just caught up on it (up to #10 + annual) too. It's really good, but kind of a slow burn.

If I had to rank my top 5 new 52 books I'd go:

1. Batman
2. Swamp Thing (I could easily flip 1 & 2 here, they're both amazing)
3. Aquaman
4. Animal Man
5. Justice League Dark

Owzers

Wonder Woman top 5 or....else.

Finished Batman #10........my opinion of this book is kind of all over the place. I liked crazy batman issues 5 and 6 but overall, i'm not sure how i feel. The surprise in #10 definitely didn't do it for me.

Wonder Woman top 5 or....else.

Finished Batman #10........my opinion of this book is kind of all over the place. I liked crazy batman issues 5 and 6 but overall, i'm not sure how i feel. The surprise in #10 definitely didn't do it for me.

There's got to be more to that particular surprise.

Brahs brace yourself for Gary Whitta to start shitting up this thread like I do because he said he is announcing something at the Image panel at SDCC.

Owzers

All the cool kids buy ikea expedit shelves while i get closetmaid cubicles that only fit standard trades/hardcovers. :(

The pep talk from TTTOB and the announcement of Gary Whitta writing a comic has motivated me to achieve 10 months old dream. Satchwar, if you still read this thread, draw my comics please.

"I may not be able to prevent Whitta from tainting the comics industry, but you can bet I'll avenge it."

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The pep talk from TTTOB and the announcement of Gary Whitta writing a comic has motivated me to achieve 10 months old dream. Satchwar, if you still read this thread, draw my comics please.

"I may not be able to prevent Whitta from tainting the comics industry, but you can bet I'll avenge it."

that sounds like an august tag.

There's a comic that's been brewing inside my head for many years. I never wrote it but I regularly think about it, and once in awhile a new piece falls into place. It will likely never see the light of day. But it's fun to dream, indeed.

There's a comic that's been brewing inside my head for many years. I never wrote it but I regularly think about it, and once in awhile a new piece falls into place. It will likely never see the light of day. But it's fun to dream, indeed.

I've got at least three ideas.

The sad part is one of them was the warm up to another.

You got to shit or get off the pot. Your warm up can turn into a monster if you let it. :(

Mine is space opera so I never seem to get tired of thinking it up. Even though it's going slowly as fuck.

Well so is Saga and that comes out every month.

Ha cha cha cha cha! :p

Yeah, one of these days I should do a web comic.

Though I'd be happy with being able to sell some fucking pictures. Never in the right place at the right time, and unwilling to choke it down and draw shitty characters for a buck. Oh for shame!

Well so is Saga and that comes out every month.

I have this fascination with something George Lucas said during an interview. How he studied various mythologies for years to prepare for writing Star Wars. Then he added elements he loved like Flash Gordon, Samurais and whatnot and knocked it the fuck out the park on virtually the first try.

Not pretending to consider this a career plan, but I do respect the method.

Jintor

I hope you're at least writing it down somewhere because I keep forgetting shit.

Sometimes I feel like a refiner rather than a writer... all I can think about doing is taking other people's premises and taking them in a different, better direction... but it relies on other people making your shit for you :/

I have this fascination with something George Lucas said during an interview. How he studied various mythologies for years to prepare for writing Star Wars. Then he added elements he loved like Flash Gordon, Samurais and whatnot and knocked it the fuck out the park on virtually the first try.

His worship of Campbell's The Hero's Journey matches mine. I try to focus on that part of Lucas and push out all the bad.

I'm wishing you great luck with your ideas. Make it happen. It's definitely possible!

Owzers

Earth 2 #2: Weird book, i had to count the pages of the Jay/Mercury interaction because it was so boring i assumed it was half the book, but it was only 6 pages. That combined with the overly sappy I love loving you Sam moments and for an actual issue that you read and digest, it read poorly.

Dark Knight #10: An okay start, but i'm getting batman fatigue.

On the first try he also introduced young viewers to Space Incest. Lucas is more of an idiot savant with the additional writers he brought in for Empire and Jedi that helped cement the ideas presented in the first film.

Then we got witness the shit Lucas is capable of with endless budget and with no assistance in the script department with the new movies.

Don't get me wrong, OG Star Wars kickstarted the imaginations of a generation; but those children have grown up and surpassed Lucas.

I guess my point here is that you can learn a bit from Lucas's inspiration ideas; but don't believe he's the last bastion of creativity.

Take that ember and build your own fire.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
On the first try he also introduced young viewers to Space Incest. Lucas is more of an idiot savant with the additional writers he brought in for Empire and Jedi that helped cement the ideas presented in the first film.

Then we got witness the shit Lucas is capable of with endless budget and with no assistance in the script department with the new movies.

Don't get me wrong, OG Star Wars kickstarted the imaginations of a generation; but those children have grown up and surpassed Lucas.

I guess my point here is that you can learn a bit from Lucas's inspiration ideas; but don't believe he's the last bastion of creativity.

Take that ember and build your own fire.

Lucas also had a strong producer for ANH and ESB who would question him, rein him in, etc. On the prequels Lucas had yes-men like Rick McCallum. Strong producers/editors are really important but almost always under-appreciated. Having someone else look over your shoulder and challenge your choices is a good thing.

Oh, I don't deny any of this either. I know the stories. For example, the brilliant Han Solo/Princess Leia dynamic was added by producers who thought Lucas's script was missing the crucial romance ingredient. And had Lucas gotten his way, Empire Strikes Back's plot would have centered around yet another Death Star to destroy. A redundant idea he would finally have enough clout to recycle in Return of the Jedi.

But yeah, it's like sillymonkey said. I try to focus on what Lucas did well, and push out all the bad.

Lucas also had a strong producer for ANH and ESB who would question him, rein him in, etc. On the prequels Lucas had yes-men like Rick McCallum. Strong producers/editors are really important but almost always under-appreciated. Having someone else look over your shoulder and challenge your choices is a good thing.

I could swear I also heard at some point Lucas has help fleshing out the original script as well; but IMDB cites him as the sole writer and I'm too lazy to do more googling.

However given what we've seen, I don't believe this to be incorrect.

Okay Saga #4 has shit happening. It would be awesome if they could pace the book a little better to avoid uninteresting dry spells. It's still a candidate to be dropped, but this issue put wind in it's sails to keep it moving away from the axe.

I knew Greg Capullo would destroy on Batman, but reading through the collection I snagged at the library it just cements my suspicion that DC is the better company in terms of artists. I've felt that way for years with Patrick Gleason quietly illustrating one of the longest and best runs on a comic with Green Lantern Corps. Then Doug Mahnke getting regular work on Green Lantern. Rags Morales where ever he may pop up. Moritat on Spirit then All Star Western. Plus others who have come and gone; but overall DC has managed to maintain a quiet and powerful stable of artists on their books.

No doubt my distaste for all things Marvel since I dropped out of there back in the 90's colors my opinion of Marvel's stable. I loved Stefano Caselli on G.I. Joe, but Marvel picked him up and made him eat shit on garbage titles like Avengers Initiative or whatever that half-assed soon-to-be-aborted post Civil Bore Marvel title was. The whole Spider-Man art team presently is pretty damn solid. I just can't stomach the shitty new Shitnister Six designs despite every interview I hear with Dan Slott sounding like a lot of fun. Plus Spiderman changing costumes all the god damn time is awful - it's some Toy Biz Aquatic Adventure Spiderman tier horse shit.

In general Marvel has a great ability to stick artists I like on books I fucking hate - see also anything involving Jason Pearson and shit-ass Deadpool. Ryan Stegman on shit-ass Hoodie Spiderman. :|

For the most part Marvel still seems focused on their whole "Architects" shit since writers are less inclined to bite the hand that feed them, and they can produce more work every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom