• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Batman's explanation was basically
that he can't vibrate the bottom of his feet or he would just phase through the floor so he has to stay stable somehow. I thought it was weird too, but worked fine enough I guess.

Ah okay thanks, I guess that kind of makes senses
, though it does ask the question of whenever anyones fighting him why they arent aiming for his feet every time ha

The Fantastic Four are so going to be back guys
From their point of view it hasn't even been a year since SW ended, right?

"Hey guys, we're back from fixing up a new universe! Hi Tony, heard you and Bruce both died a few months ago. Nice to see you back already. Has anyone seen Namor yet?"

I'm glad your liking Shutter donnie, alarm cat is pretty awesome even as his character develops as the story goes on. Shutters such a rollercoaster ride of crazyness, not every beat hits but theres a lot of fun and great art along the way.

The art really is incredible,and totally seals the deal. I try to remain light on plot details when I share my impressions but
yea, Alarm Cat, or Cassius I guess now lol,
does totally take a turn,, and I love that bubbling in the background, even if it took him off the table for a lot of volume 2. I would actually consider that one of the two most important character beats in vol 2, alongside Kate's stand at the end and realisation of all the things she is grateful for in her life. What's even crueler is Alarm Cat is one of those things she realises she loves being alive for and wanting to hold on to - all the while Cat is having this twisted turn for being abandoned headless.
Can't wait to see where it's all going to lead.

The Fantastic Four are so going to be back guys

This is Reed Richards walking back in.

OI5drO9.gif

The art really is incredible,and totally seals the deal. I try to remain light on plot details when I share my impressions but
yea, Alarm Cat, or Cassius I guess now lol,
does totally take a turn,, and I love that bubbling in the background, even if it took him off the table for a lot of volume 2. I would actually consider that one of the two most important character beats in vol 2, alongside Kate's stand at the end and realisation of all the things she is grateful for in her life. What's even crueler is Alarm Cat is one of those things she realises she loves being alive for and wanting to hold on to - all the while Cat is having this twisted turn for being abandoned headless.
Can't wait to see where it's all going to lead.

Yeah I think the relationship between Kate and alarm cat is one of the most interesting aspects of the book for me. It is written in a really weird way though, sometimes Kate seems to treat him like one of her closest friends and other times it seems like she really doesnt give a shit about him and see's him as nothing more that an eletrical appliance.

Don't think I really needed spoiler on the above very mild story beats but though might as well be safe.

Aizo

Banned
If you're talking about The Button, as far as Batman 21 goes you can read it on it's own. It could basically pick up right after DC Rebirth special with nothing really missed.

The only thing that comes up before this is the return of a character that happened in an issue of Flash.
Thanks!
Is it golden week? I remember that being a fun time, although so many places closed, which made it a bit tough. Have a good time with the movie. It's probably my favorite DC animated movie in the last few years.
Yupp, golden Week! It is kind of hell everywhere in Japan that week, but luckily I'll be traveling outside of the country then.

Messi

Best DC Rebirth series so far? Basically going into my local store tomorrow and buying a whole bunch of trades for DC Rebirth, just to jump on. This is like the first time ever in my life where I feel super sick of Marvel and kinda feeling DC.

Detective Comics

Yeah I think the relationship between Kate and alarm cat is one of the most interesting aspects of the book for me. It is written in a really weird way though, sometimes Kate seems to treat him like one of her closest friends and other times it seems like she really doesnt give a shit about him and see's him as nothing more that an eletrical appliance.

Don't think I really needed spoiler on the above very mild story beats but though might as well be safe.

It's probably fine, I think there's only a handful of folks in the thread that read the book, and they're caught right up. I do agree though, and I think there's a fine line between either establishing a character is inconsistent or being inconsistent as a writer. Imo at least as far as I've got, it's much more the first option and that Keatinge just genuinely portrays Kate how a lot of us are in real life - inconsistent, a bit selfish, glib in a familiar manner with the people closest to us. Kate is a damaged, defensive person who is good at heart and loving (the flashbacks with Alain are good at enforcing this), but also has a way about her that could rightly piss people off and doesn't always pick the best path first time. The way Keatinge slows the the script down at key moments during the high adventure to focus on little Chris' face with the guns etc. - it's all quite methodical how Kate's actions are affecting those around her, despite her being the heroine and someone we can root for when she stands up and say's she's gonna kick some ass.

Is this just speculation?

Yes, AFAIK, but it seems like the most plausible guess.

Whatever the corporate reasoning behind it, I think taking the FF off the table for a few years was a good call. Thor had no book from 2004 through 2007 and that worked quite well when the JMS relaunch hit.

dan2026

Yes, AFAIK, but it seems like the most plausible guess.

Whatever the corporate reasoning behind it, I think taking the FF off the table for a few years was a good call. Thor had no book from 2004 through 2007 and that worked quite well when the JMS relaunch hit.

If the reasoning for taking them off the table was some sort of half assed protest against Fox's shit movies, that's just daft.

I doubt Fox gives two shits whether there is a comic or not.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If the reasoning for taking them off the table was some sort of half assed protest against Fox's shit movies, that's just daft.

I doubt Fox gives two shits whether there is a comic or not.

Please stop spread Fake News, Constantin Film is the owner of the FF movie rights.

:)

Edit: Well you are right, these are Fox movies *lol*

It's probably fine, I think there's only a handful of folks in the thread that read the book, and they're caught right up. I do agree though, and I think there's a fine line between either establishing a character is inconsistent or being inconsistent as a writer. Imo at least as far as I've got, it's much more the first option and that Keatinge just genuinely portrays Kate how a lot of us are in real life - inconsistent, a bit selfish, glib in a familiar manner with the people closest to us. Kate is a damaged, defensive person who is good at heart and loving (the flashbacks with Alain are good at enforcing this), but also has a way about her that could rightly piss people off and doesn't always pick the best path first time. The way Keatinge slows the the script down at key moments during the high adventure to focus on little Chris' face with the guns etc. - it's all quite methodical how Kate's actions are affecting those around her, despite her being the heroine and someone we can root for when she stands up and say's she's gonna kick some ass.

I don't know I kind of see the book across the board being crazy, inconsistent and all over the map. That counts for most things, the story, style, tone, personalities, character motivations etc. In my opinion its both the books strength and weakness. Theres always some crazy new world, character, adventures to keep you excited and interested but on reverse of that is sometimes you lose a little on character development/story build up on existing characters and storys. On the whole though its a ride well worth taking, with the art the big added bonus.

By way how you finding dishonored 2? Its on my pile at home to play, loved the first one and the world it built, with being one of the few games where the dlc at the end added to the story and was almost as good as the actual game. From the trailers at the time of release looks like the story is a direct carry on from the first game dlc too.

dan2026

Please stop spread Fake News, Constantin Film is the owner of the FF movie rights.

:)

Still distributed by 20th century Fox. :)
But seriously who the fuck are Constantin Film?

And how the fuck do these jobbers have the FF film rights?

If they havent already, Marvel really needs to cut a deal with these guys.
After the flop of the last movie I'm sure they would be more than happy to.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Still distributed by 20th century Fox. :)
But seriously who the fuck are Constantin Film?

And how the fuck do these jobbers have the FF film rights?

If they havent already, Marvel really needs to cut a deal with these guys.
After the flop of the last movie I'm sure they would be more than happy to.

They bought them back then in the 90s from Marvel, realized, that even a big german movie company (yeah, our movie industry is a joke) is not able to produce a superhero flick for an international audience and made a deal with Fox. Bernd Eichinger should be a term for americans, he got the rights back then.
I think, but I am not sure here, its a similar situation with the Resident Evil rights.

I don't know I kind of see the book across the board being crazy, inconsistent and all over the map. That counts for most things, the story, style, tone, personalities, character motivations etc. In my opinion its both the books strength and weakness. Theres always some crazy new world, character, adventures to keep you excited and interested but on reverse of that is sometimes you lose a little on character development/story build up on existing characters and storys. On the whole though its a ride well worth taking, with the art the big added bonus.

By way how you finding dishonored 2? Its on my pile at home to play, loved the first one and the world it built, with being one of the few games where the dlc at the end added to the story and was almost as good as the actual game. From the trailers at the time of release looks like the story is a direct carry on from the first game dlc too.

That's fair, you're not the only one I've saw express that about the book, I'll have to see how it progresses when I read on. I love how ambitious the book is though in how crazy it gets, and how it can change up the storytelling style or tone at a moments notice and catch you unaware. Not many books can (or should) have their cake and cake it, but I like that aspect to this book. Imo it only works because of how wide a range Del Duca has though, a lot of the emotion is carried on the panel oppose to telegraphed in the dialogue.

Dishonored 2 is good! I've only managed to get through the first two chapters, I spent like all of Sunday afternoon on chapter two, I can't help but just explore every nook, pull the heart out at every people I pass, so it took me forever, 2 and a half hours or something, but it's very cool, Karnaca is a really nice change up over Dunwall and the new visuals do it justice. And yes, it totally does link to the DLC almost immediately and presents a mystery in that regard if you saw the DLC through to completion. My take on the Dishonored franchise is the actual moment to moment story is servicable, a vehicle to set you loose in the playground, but very much elevated by the world around you, the sights and sounds, all those logs haha it's a great place to be for a few hours at a time, even if it means I'll probably crawl through the game.

That's fair, you're not the only one I've saw express that about the book, I'll have to see how it progresses when I read on. I love how ambitious the book is though in how crazy it gets, and how it can change up the storytelling style or tone at a moments notice and catch you unaware. Not many books can (or should) have their cake and cake it, but I like that aspect to this book. Imo it only works because of how wide a range Del Duca has though, a lot of the emotion is carried on the panel oppose to telegraphed in the dialogue.

Dishonored 2 is good! I've only managed to get through the first two chapters, I spent like all of Sunday afternoon on chapter two, I can't help but just explore every nook, pull the heart out at every people I pass, so it took me forever, 2 and a half hours or something, but it's very cool, Karnaca is a really nice change up over Dunwall and the new visuals do it justice. And yes, it totally does link to the DLC almost immediately and presents a mystery in that regard if you saw the DLC through to completion. My take on the Dishonored franchise is the actual moment to moment story is servicable, a vehicle to set you loose in the playground, but very much elevated by the world around you, the sights and sounds, all those logs haha it's a great place to be for a few hours at a time, even if it means I'll probably crawl through the game.

Yeah I'm the same. It takes me ages to do a level as I like to play as stealthy as possible and I like to see all the options before I complete a level. Sometimes you can find a character in a hidden corner who can give you an alternative to completely change how you can do the level. Plus if I get seen and it all completely turns to shit I usually load a previous save and start again rather than have to fight my way out.

They keep the main story basic like you said, but then they build it all up in logs, notes, graffiti on the walls, overheard conversations. The deeper your willing to dig into the game the more you get out of it. I also love how you usually get lethal or non lethal options in every mission but they mix up the forumla by sometimes having the non lethal option turning out worse than the lethal option, sometimes youve got to make tough choices were there is no right answer.

Yeah I was wondering on the DLC thing, because if I remember correctly there was 3 possible different endings.
I went for the switching the painting when Delilah wasnt looking and trapping her option, but I believe you can also kill her or go through a painting yourself.

dan2026

I found the Dishonored 2 demo really difficult.

I kept getting caught and having to fight my way out of situations constantly.
Maybe it was just me being shit, but the stealth didn't seem to work too well.

Messi

I found the Dishonored 2 demo really difficult.

I kept getting caught and having to fight my way out of situations constantly.
Maybe it was just me being shit, but the stealth didn't seem to work too well.

Oh so it's just like Dishonoured. Just play Overwatch instead.

What part of the game is the demo set at? The stealth Imo is pretty great in Dishonored but like all of these games, you have to get used to its own quirks and intricacies. Plus having dark vision unlocked goes a long way towards this. Dishonored is all about height and leaning oppose to hiding in things like a lot of other games these days. Being quick on the trigger with Blink helps too and again, you just have to get used to it.

And yes, I will literally do an objective like bypass the wall of light one way...then just go back and do it the other way, to try and interact with everything haha. I love the options they give you this time in terms of being able to be caught or engage in combat, but still take a non lethal route to victory ie. Parry into choke or drop down knockouts.

Jordan, you should have questions! Given that
Delilah is alive, you can assume the Canon ending isn't Daud killing her but trapping her.. But how is she free and and in a position to try and take the throne then?

Oh so it's just like Dishonoured. Just play Overwatch instead.

Haven't played 2 yet like I said, but I think stealth works pretty well in the first game. It wants you to keep high as shown by the abilities and options it gives you (rooftops, steam pipes etc) but it gives you abilites to sense where nearby enemies are for short times and even gives you additional buttons to peer quickly round corners. Its a game that rewards staking out somewhere before you go in, giving you an idea of guard numbers and routes. First game even gave an ability to control a rat so you could go into a room undetected and scope it out from animal pov.

If you mean controls then I could possibly see that argument, they are sometimes a bit clunky, but no more clunky than any other stealth games, deus ex, metal gear etc.

Ha Overwatch does look pretty awesome and this place is designated Overwatch-gaf but personally I'm a single player story game kind of guy

Yeah Screw Hellion
Code:
[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/87/ca/48/87ca48cf5eed123e4fcbff6559dba462.jpg[/IMG]
To be fair to Hellion, she straight up tells him that she can't love him anymore and that there isn't anything there. Just straight up. I'd be broken, too. Plus I have no idea what happened to him. That story was great, but they kept saying he did something bad and I was never clear on what it was that he did that was so bad. Gambit really didn't like him for it.

caliph95

To be fair to Hellion, she straight up tells him that she can't love him anymore and that there isn't anything there. Just straight up. I'd be broken, too. Plus I have no idea what happened to him. That story was great, but they kept saying he did something bad and I was never clear on what it was that he did that was so bad. Gambit really didn't like him for it.
Can't remember honestly besides hellion being a dick maybe and/or gambit being overprotective

What part of the game is the demo set at? The stealth Imo is pretty great in Dishonored but like all of these games, you have to get used to its own quirks and intricacies. Plus having dark vision unlocked goes a long way towards this. Dishonored is all about height and leaning oppose to hiding in things like a lot of other games these days. Being quick on the trigger with Blink helps too and again, you just have to get used to it.

And yes, I will literally do an objective like bypass the wall of light one way...then just go back and do it the other way, to try and interact with everything haha. I love the options they give you this time in terms of being able to be caught or engage in combat, but still take a non lethal route to victory ie. Parry into choke or drop down knockouts.

Jordan, you should have questions! Given that
Delilah is alive, you can assume the Canon ending isn't Daud killing her but trapping her.. But how is she free and and in a position to try and take the throne then?

Geez those walls of light are killers, I think the toughest moment for me in the first one is that area of demolished buildings where theres a massive wall of light you have to pass through and two manned walkers patrolling the area in front of it. Took me many many go's and I think in the end I only fluked it through without dying ha.

Yeah it does set up an intriguing story beat, especially as Delilahs history is quite interesting from the dlc. I actually started one of the books they released in build up to the second game to bridge the story but didn't get too far into, maybe I'll go back to it. I know they also released Dishonored tie in comic at the time but don't know if that was any good or not.

Wanderer5

Oh hey some Dishonored 2 talk. I never did go back to mess around with character select and NG+ much.

Such a wonderful game, especially how much non-lethal/low chaos options felt so much more to the point that you can possibly have some pretty nice fights without killing anyone. I always did mostly wanted to test myself to be more like Batman for these games.:p

Story was kind of disappointing through, especially how good the Daud campaign was in the original game. I guess similar to the first game, the world building ends up being way more interesting than the actual main story going on heh.

Geez those walls of light are killers, I think the toughest moment for me in the first one is that area of demolished buildings where theres a massive wall of light you have to pass through and two manned walkers patrolling the area in front of it. Took me many many go's and I think in the end I only fluked it through without dying ha.

Yeah it does set up an intriguing story beat, especially as Delilahs history is quite interesting from the dlc. I actually started one of the books they released in build up to the second game to bridge the story but didn't get too far into, maybe I'll go back to it. I know they also released Dishonored tie in comic at the time but don't know if that was any good or not.

Lol I remember there was one of the vaguest side quests at that point with people holed up in the buildings down the side and you had to see them through but the actual parameters of what to do and what would freak them out was super vague. I haven't read any of the side stuff buuuut I'm pretty sure Tetrax read the comic series, not sure how regularly he's checking the thread right now though. I just can't do tie in novels after Dead Space but the art was surprisingly decent looking for the Dishonored comic. These things are usually dumpster fires.

Not surprised to hear that about the story Wanderer, but enjoying the early going none the less. The world really is called out for a good cross media thing to take advantage of it. Totally agree on the combat stuff, I'm trying really hard not to save scum so it's really appreciated if spotted.

Need opinions. I'm trying to decide between Dragon Quest Heroes II AND Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy or the super duper edition of Injustice 2.

Need opinions. I'm trying to decide between Dragon Quest Heroes II AND Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy or the super duper edition of Injustice 2.

A musou game that's like every musou game, a game with a dated engine and doesn't run smooth, and a game that looks pretty good. Tough choices.

caliph95

It only crashed on me once or twice i was lucky to not getting the amount of bugs other people got though i think i got it after it was patched

I still don't get why people hate Telltale games so much. They always run smooth for me. Maybe the rest of you are doing it wrong.

Every Telltale game has an action sequence that destroys the game on consoles. Sounds don't sync and slow downs are rampant. Not to mention their engine is getting stale to look at. Star Lord looks way too old in the game.

Wanderer5

Not surprised to hear that about the story Wanderer, but enjoying the early going none the less. The world really is called out for a good cross media thing to take advantage of it. Totally agree on the combat stuff, I'm trying really hard not to save scum so it's really appreciated if spotted.

Yeah, I mean I not really into full stealth runs, so if I get spotted, meh, I just glad I have so many options this time.:p The addition of non-lethal takedown are especially nice to have. In fact, something I found out that is kind of amusing, is shooting enemies in the knee with either bolts or bullets, which causes them to stumble and thus a opportunity for a takedown. I didn't test it out so much, but I don't think there a bleeding out thing that they can die from, least with that kind of wound, so yay some more usages with regular bolts and bullets non-lethally (through I think bolts are easier to use without killing them)!

Every Telltale game has an action sequence that destroys the game on consoles. Sounds don't sync and slow downs are rampant. Not to mention their engine is getting stale to look at. Star Lord looks way too old in the game.

I will admit, any non-Walking Dead games, I usually play mostly for easy trophies and Plats. But Tales from the Borderlands was legit amazing.

Lol I remember there was one of the vaguest side quests at that point with people holed up in the buildings down the side and you had to see them through but the actual parameters of what to do and what would freak them out was super vague. I haven't read any of the side stuff buuuut I'm pretty sure Tetrax read the comic series, not sure how regularly he's checking the thread right now though. I just can't do tie in novels after Dead Space but the art was surprisingly decent looking for the Dishonored comic. These things are usually dumpster fires.

I did. It was alright, nothing essential.

Funnily enough I never got around to Dishonored 2, I do own it but the PC perfomance being poor put me off trying it at the time. I'll have to give it a go at some point.

I still don't get why people hate Telltale games so much. They always run smooth for me. Maybe the rest of you are doing it wrong.

I never had a problem until the Batman game. Well, that's not 100% true, I have to dig out my 360 pad for Telltale games as Xbox One controllers don't work with them for some reason. But the Batman game was a disaster. Game breaking bug in four out of the five episodes. I still liked it enough to put it on my GOTY list but it soured me a bit.

I want to pick up Guardians but I've decided to start saving for a Switch so I probably won't buy any non-bundle games for awhile. I can't justify a PS4 for Injustice 2 either despite really wanting to play it. I'll have to hope PC gets the Ultimate Edition down the road like the first game.

Wanderer5

I probably would check out GotG, but telltale games just doesn't really do it for me to keep coming back, even through I did enjoy much of The Wolf Among Us. I didn't even check out Batman, who is pretty much my favorite comic hero, so yeah.

I read Darkseid War vol 2 over the weekend and forgot to post about it.

I didn't like vol 1 but vol 2 was pretty great. Now I see why people like it so much even if they had to go through a pretty so and so vol 1 to get thefe. My only wish was that Manapul had drawn all of it

Can't remember honestly besides hellion being a dick maybe and/or gambit being overprotective

Well, Laura shows up because Logan asks her to come back and talk to Hellion. Gambit was really protective, but apparently Hellion has been doing some bad shit, and it's never clear on what. Laura tries to talk to him, but she's Laura which means talking about feelings is hard. Instead she leaves, he follows, shenanigans ensue, and then Laura breaks up with him. Here's what I know:

-Hellion got his hands chopped off by Deathstrike
-Laura kills Deathstrike as a response
-Then Laura goes and joins X-Force and isn't seen by Hellion for a while
-Then she comes back, having been revealed to be a black ops assassin for months, which Hellion didn't take well
-Then she just leaves, and Hellion doesn't know anything. Where she went, what she's doing, ANYTHING.
-Then she shows up, "fuck yo feelings" and leaves
-Hellion saves her life, she says "fuck yo feelings" and leaves

I don't blame Hellion for lashing out in that scene.

I was really enjoying this arc of Ms. Marvel, but wow did it faceplant on the landing. The opening scene with Zoe was so touching (even if it was also kinda unrealistic), but the ultimate solution to the problem was fucking hammy. I could barely finish it.

I also thought it was extremely shitty of Kamala to immediately peg her gamer buddies as emotionally dysfunctional while simultaneously acknowledging that they don't really know each other at all. Is she the only mature person who plays World of Battlecraft? Makes me wonder who this arc was for.

Vic_Viper

If I was interested in checking out Valiant, what would be the best recent jumping on point?

I was looking to start with the limited series called The Valiant and then continue into Bloodshot Reborn by Lemire. Is that a good place to just jump in? The Valiant limited's art alone looks amazing btw! Same artist who did the beginning of Waid's Daredevil run, which is soooo good.

While im bringing up Valiant, Ninjak as a character is so 90s lol. I mean first off all, he seriously needs a new design. He looks like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat with dual samurai swords! Secondly, hes a British MI-6 ninja!? I mean thats cool lol. Is he Japanese? Cant tell from what little ive seen so far. If they gave his character a new design/outfit I could totally get into the character. When Hawkeye took on the Ronin persona the design suffered from the same issues I have with Ninjak but somehow it worked, so maybe if I read some of Ninjak itll work. Just wondering how people feel about it that has been reading the ongoing.

c01d2a07ccfe495d730edbf6effa0100.jpg

Also, just watched the first like 5 episodes of Riverdale. Really enjoyed it, way more than I thought I would tbh. Its nothing like Twin Peaks but it doesnt fall for alot of the same CW teen drama tropes either. Everytime I thought they would start one of the usual CW teen plots, they would turn it on its head almost immediately within the same episode. For example, theres a scene where Veronica (the new girl) goes on a date with the Captain of the Football team. I was expecting this to become a subplot that drags for a few episodes and was shocked to see what happened the next day. The whole dynamic of the show is actually really good and refreshing compared to the drama on Arrow and Flash. Cant believe an Archie show is this good lol. Only compliant I have, well really just a nitpick, but why is Archie ripped lol? Not every charater from a "comic" has to be ripped.

I ended up being able to jump into Valiant by reading the first trades of a few of their books (X-O, Ninjak, and Bloodshot) then I just started jumping on with the newest arcs or their new mini's. Think I jumped on with Divinity II, Gen 0 of their mini's.

They kind of go overboard some times with their jumping on issues and explain everything plainly enough.

Best DC Rebirth series so far? Basically going into my local store tomorrow and buying a whole bunch of trades for DC Rebirth, just to jump on. This is like the first time ever in my life where I feel super sick of Marvel and kinda feeling DC.

My favorites:

Teen Titans
Suicide Squad
Trinity
Red Hood and the Outlaws

Top Bottom