• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

In fact, something I found out that is kind of amusing, is shooting enemies in the knee with either bolts or bullets, which causes them to stumble and thus a opportunity for a takedown. I didn't test it out so much, but I don't think there a bleeding out thing that they can die from, least with that kind of wound, so yay some more usages with regular bolts and bullets non-lethally (through I think bolts are easier to use without killing them)!

I had no idea about this, I'll need to give it a shot haha.

My Mouse Guard books finally got dispatched today, so should get those later in the week. I also picked up an OGN called Geis on a whim while buying the Mouse Guard stuff, it was recommended on the others have bought tab and the cover caught my eye. It's by a guy called Alexis Deacon, who's apparently a well regarded illustrator and now cartoonist I guess. I've never heard of him, I don't think he has much to do with comics and this is his first sequential work oppose to storybook style illustrations, but he's been well lauded. Has anyone heard of the book? It has a wonderful folklorey/dark fantasy look to it with a kind of washed out/faded palette and quite soft lines, it put some of the old Henson stuff back in my mind and I couldn't help but grab it, there's a ton of preview stuff that comes up on google if anyones interested.

51-zgJ23H1L._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's been pretty well reviewed on a few sites, comicbastards & Multiversity, so looking forward to it & I think it's the first of three planned books. Will share thoughts when I get to it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
supposed real (for realsies this time) MvC Infinite has Ultron in it, supposed to be a new trailer soon.

Rest are all returns from 3 (Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and Rocket, although Rocket is probably changed from 3 since all the rumours say he will have Groot with him in special moves)

Vic_Viper

Best DC Rebirth series so far? Basically going into my local store tomorrow and buying a whole bunch of trades for DC Rebirth, just to jump on. This is like the first time ever in my life where I feel super sick of Marvel and kinda feeling DC.

I havent read much from Rebirth aside from the initial run of one shots, but I highly recommend checking out the Superman series. Action and Superman. If your a fan of the character at all you need to be reading these books. Its crazy how much they are doing with Superman in just his 2 main books when they could have easily saved some of these reveals for an event book. If your familar with classic Superman and New52 Superman you will be rewarded!

Other titles I would definitely grab in trade:

Green Arrow
Titans
Batman
Detective
Trinity

Also, dont forget, DC is releasing a bunch of deluxe editions later this year for some of these books. Basically collecting the first 2 trades in one book. Im personally just waiting for those to come out before I buy.

How Is the Flash Rebirth ongoing btw? I really like Williamson's Image book Birthright.

How Is the Flash Rebirth ongoing btw? I really like Williamson's Image book Birthright.

Really hit and miss. I feel like Williamson's style is struggling a bit to fit into it or something. I come out of basically every issue or story thinking the promise and possibility is there but the voice of Barry most of all just seems off. Like he can't relaly write well for Barry. There's this one-off issue that was around Christmas that mostly followed Wally and the issue was absolutely great and funny that makes me think it's just a matter of not writing well with Barry.

If I was interested in checking out Valiant, what would be the best recent jumping on point?

I was looking to start with the limited series called The Valiant and then continue into Bloodshot Reborn by Lemire. Is that a good place to just jump in? The Valiant limited's art alone looks amazing btw! Same artist who did the beginning of Waid's Daredevil run, which is soooo good.

While im bringing up Valiant, Ninjak as a character is so 90s lol. I mean first off all, he seriously needs a new design. He looks like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat with dual samurai swords! Secondly, hes a British MI-6 ninja!? I mean thats cool lol. Is he Japanese? Cant tell from what little ive seen so far. If they gave his character a new design/outfit I could totally get into the character. When Hawkeye took on the Ronin persona the design suffered from the same issues I have with Ninjak but somehow it worked, so maybe if I read some of Ninjak itll work. Just wondering how people feel about it that has been reading the ongoing.

c01d2a07ccfe495d730edbf6effa0100.jpg

The Valiant > Bloodshot Reborn > Bloodshot USA is an excellent place to start. I would also recommend
  • Harbinger + Harbinger Wars + Omegas > Imperium > Harbinger Renegade (my personal favorite series, aside from The Valiant)
  • XO Manowar + Unity + Armor Hunters > XO Manowar (2017)
  • Archer & Armstrong
  • Quantum & Woody
  • Ninjak > Rapture
  • Ivar, Timewalker (another favorite)
  • Generation Zero
  • Book of Death > Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
  • The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage > Second Lives
  • Divinity > Divinity II > Divinity III
  • Faith (miniseries) > Faith
  • Britannia (this one is really far removed from the mythos)
  • Rai > 4001 AD

There are really a huge amount of good starting points, depending on what you like. Also, feel free to ask me specific questions about reading order, but it's straightforward for the most part with one or two exceptions.

As far as Ninjak goes, you kind of just get used to it lol. I'm constantly thinking that, this is so fucking 90s, but his book is more like a modern espionage book than anything else. He's English, and the Ninjak name is explained somewhat in the book. He comes from a series of ninja operatives that MI6 employs, each with an alphabetical designation at the end; Colin King's is K, so it's actually Ninja-K, but everyone just shortens it to Ninjak. The upcoming Ninja-K by Christos Gage is going to explore that whole thing a lot more, but that's due out in the fall.

Sandfox

Really hit and miss. I feel like Williamson's style is struggling a bit to fit into it or something. I come out of basically every issue or story thinking the promise and possibility is there but the voice of Barry most of all just seems off. Like he can't relaly write well for Barry. There's this one-off issue that was around Christmas that mostly followed Wally and the issue was absolutely great and funny that makes me think it's just a matter of not writing well with Barry.
Barry is lame compared to Wally.

shingi70

Banned
If I was interested in checking out Valiant, what would be the best recent jumping on point?

I was looking to start with the limited series called The Valiant and then continue into Bloodshot Reborn by Lemire. Is that a good place to just jump in? The Valiant limited's art alone looks amazing btw! Same artist who did the beginning of Waid's Daredevil run, which is soooo good.

While im bringing up Valiant, Ninjak as a character is so 90s lol. I mean first off all, he seriously needs a new design. He looks like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat with dual samurai swords! Secondly, hes a British MI-6 ninja!? I mean thats cool lol. Is he Japanese? Cant tell from what little ive seen so far. If they gave his character a new design/outfit I could totally get into the character. When Hawkeye took on the Ronin persona the design suffered from the same issues I have with Ninjak but somehow it worked, so maybe if I read some of Ninjak itll work. Just wondering how people feel about it that has been reading the ongoing.

c01d2a07ccfe495d730edbf6effa0100.jpg

Also, just watched the first like 5 episodes of Riverdale. Really enjoyed it, way more than I thought I would tbh. Its nothing like Twin Peaks but it doesnt fall for alot of the same CW teen drama tropes either. Everytime I thought they would start one of the usual CW teen plots, they would turn it on its head almost immediately within the same episode. For example, theres a scene where Veronica (the new girl) goes on a date with the Captain of the Football team. I was expecting this to become a subplot that drags for a few episodes and was shocked to see what happened the next day. The whole dynamic of the show is actually really good and refreshing compared to the drama on Arrow and Flash. Cant believe an Archie show is this good lol. Only compliant I have, well really just a nitpick, but why is Archie ripped lol? Not every charater from a "comic" has to be ripped.

Ninjack is British and and an actual ninja. He works for MI:6. XO Manowar just got relaunched and Haringer Renedades is only 4 issues in so those are the two biggest starting points currently.

VALIANTSUMMIT2017_POSTER_001.jpg

caliph95

Both he and Hal Jordan (though he was in one my favourite runs) are relevant mostly because of Geoff Johns love of Silver age characters

Sandfox

I don't really have much history with Barry but in this books he comes off as almost having no character at all. He makes me think of a 70's sitcom man walked out of the tv with super powers, only he doesn't joke at all.

Yeah, that's why Wally is better, but Johns decided to fridge him and even now his role and legacy have been reduced.

Ninjack is British and and an actual ninja. He works for MI:6. XO Manowar just got relaunched and Haringer Renedades is only 4 issues in so those are the two biggest starting points currently.

Or, yeah, he could just pick a #1 and roll with it. Kindt's XO is a good starting point, so is Renegade (though I still recommend the original series because it's the best damn thing).

shingi70

Banned
Or, yeah, he could just pick a #1 and roll with it. Kindt's XO is a good starting point, so is Renegade (though I still recommend the original series because it's the best damn thing).

I still need to read Imperum. Was there any big reveals from it jumping from The end of Harbinger to Renegades. How was generation zero for that matter?

I still need to read Imperum. Was there any big reveals from it jumping from The end of Harbinger to Renegades. How was generation zero for that matter?

Imperium didn't have any mindblowing twists that would have a huge impact on the universe, but it did set up some stuff with Harada for the upcoming Harbinger Wars 2. That said, the whole thing is this series of one-uppery between Harada's group and the losers that would try to challenge him. It's bloody amazing.

Generation Zero was a really weird and funny book. The characters were great, and you can see Van Lente was inspired a bit by Morrison for some of the concepts. There's actually a cool status quo change for psiots at the end that I think is also going to affect the upcoming Harbinger Wars, maybe even the next arc of Renegade.

Haven't played since season 2 do they still only have the gold guns as a comp purchase? Seems crazy to have 4 seasons but still only one item to spend the currency on.

You keep the plat rewards even if you finish in gold
Really? If it's true then I have nothing to worry about.
Haven't played since season 2 do they still only have the gold guns as a comp purchase? Seems crazy to have 4 seasons but still only one item to spend the currency on.

I don't think Blizzard wants to go too crazy with exclusive items only for ranked players. They already have items you can only unlock or buy during an event. This season I finally saved up enough points to buy my first golden gun.

Messi

Really? If it's true then I have nothing to worry about.

Yes. It makes sense to have an item exclusive to rank players. This season I finally saved up enough points to buy my first golden gun.

It's 100% true. Rank atrophy only begins above diamond tier.

Vic_Viper

What are the absolute BEST Valiant books atm? Ive heard Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn is one of the best Valaint books and even up there with DC/Marvel's best. Is there anything else that is a must read from them since 2014?

supposed real (for realsies this time) MvC Infinite has Ultron in it, supposed to be a new trailer soon.

Rest are all returns from 3 (Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and Rocket, although Rocket is probably changed from 3 since all the rumours say he will have Groot with him in special moves)
So nothing new
I don't really have much history with Barry but in this books he comes off as almost having no character at all. He makes me think of a 70's sitcom man walked out of the tv with super powers, only he doesn't joke at all.
That's exactly what Barry is.
Yeah, that's why Wally is better, but DiDio decided to make Johns fridge him and even now his role and legacy have been reduced.
Fixed

What are the absolute BEST Valiant books atm? Ive heard Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn is one of the best Valaint books and even up there with DC/Marvel's best. Is there anything else that is a must read from them since 2014?

Gen Zero started out so good but then it completely petered out until it randomly just ended this week. Still ended up being ok overall, but felt let down after how strong it started. It seemed so rushed and condensed this last issue.

My new personal TV setup:
Samsung 55" 55KS7005 4K and HDR

Can't care about MvCI when I2 is getting its final on-disc character revealed this week along with more streams, journalists have gotten to play it at a event, it releases in a month and DLC teasing is starting.

Well, Laura shows up because Logan asks her to come back and talk to Hellion. Gambit was really protective, but apparently Hellion has been doing some bad shit, and it's never clear on what. Laura tries to talk to him, but she's Laura which means talking about feelings is hard. Instead she leaves, he follows, shenanigans ensue, and then Laura breaks up with him. Here's what I know:

-Hellion got his hands chopped off by Deathstrike
-Laura kills Deathstrike as a response
-Then Laura goes and joins X-Force and isn't seen by Hellion for a while
-Then she comes back, having been revealed to be a black ops assassin for months, which Hellion didn't take well
-Then she just leaves, and Hellion doesn't know anything. Where she went, what she's doing, ANYTHING.
-Then she shows up, "fuck yo feelings" and leaves
-Hellion saves her life, she says "fuck yo feelings" and leaves

I don't blame Hellion for lashing out in that scene.

Hellion lost his hands fighting sentinels during Second Coming. They literally disintegrated.
c794bc66ba1e99d5940fa17b85c65dd5bccd2ab4_hq.jpg

It was pretty traumatic for him. He was still in bitter mode during that point. He was a total asshole to nearly everyone and couldn't handle that X-23 just doesn't show emotion well. She was pretty harsh for someone who was willing to sacrifice themselves to save her though.

4635482-hellion+4.jpg

They actually kind of wrecked him after Second Coming. During New Mutants he had a decent arc where they showed him move on from a super cocky asshole (because he's stupidly powerful and he knows it) to pretty heroic, but after he lost his hands, they just shoehorned him into being a jerk with little personality outside of being angry and snarky. Kind of tossed to the side like most of the characters introduced in New Mutants.

Hellion lost his hands fighting sentinels during Second Coming. They literally disintegrated.

It was pretty traumatic for him. He was still in bitter mode during that point. He was a total asshole to nearly everyone and couldn't handle that X-23 just doesn't show emotion well. She was pretty harsh for someone who was willing to sacrifice themselves to save her though.

4635482-hellion+4.jpg

They actually kind of wrecked him after Second Coming. During New Mutants he had a decent arc where they showed him move on from a super cocky asshole (because he's stupidly powerful and he knows it) to pretty heroic, but after he lost his hands, they just shoehorned him into being a jerk with little personality outside of being angry and snarky. Kind of tossed to the side like most of the characters introduced in New Mutants.

Oh that's right. I remembered his hands getting chopped off by Deathstrike for some reason.

Watched Justice League Dark for the first time last night. Damn if that wasn't the best animated movie of the new crop that WB has done so far.

Kind of crazy that they
straight up killed Swamp Thing though

caliph95

Yeah it was weird Hellion went from being an asshole jerk then developed then went back to being a jerk and then forgotten, i think he was stalking Laura as well

4635482-hellion+4.jpg

And then he got the M-Pox and tried to show the Inhumans what they were doing to mutants only for Medusa to lock him up on a sickbed.

I had no idea about this, I'll need to give it a shot haha.

My Mouse Guard books finally got dispatched today, so should get those later in the week. I also picked up an OGN called Geis on a whim while buying the Mouse Guard stuff, it was recommended on the others have bought tab and the cover caught my eye. It's by a guy called Alexis Deacon, who's apparently a well regarded illustrator and now cartoonist I guess. I've never heard of him, I don't think he has much to do with comics and this is his first sequential work oppose to storybook style illustrations, but he's been well lauded. Has anyone heard of the book? It has a wonderful folklorey/dark fantasy look to it with a kind of washed out/faded palette and quite soft lines, it put some of the old Henson stuff back in my mind and I couldn't help but grab it, there's a ton of preview stuff that comes up on google if anyones interested.

It's been pretty well reviewed on a few sites, comicbastards & Multiversity, so looking forward to it & I think it's the first of three planned books. Will share thoughts when I get to it.

I've heard of it, but I don't remember where. Probably an artist i follow on twitter sharing it or something. Post impressions once you read it, because it looks really cool

caliph95

Hellion got locked up after his powers went out of control started causing destruction and had to be placed in inhuman hospital

Ross61

I havent read much from Rebirth aside from the initial run of one shots, but I highly recommend checking out the Superman series. Action and Superman. If your a fan of the character at all you need to be reading these books. Its crazy how much they are doing with Superman in just his 2 main books when they could have easily saved some of these reveals for an event book. If your familar with classic Superman and New52 Superman you will be rewarded!

Other titles I would definitely grab in trade:

Green Arrow
Titans
Batman
Detective
Trinity

Also, dont forget, DC is releasing a bunch of deluxe editions later this year for some of these books. Basically collecting the first 2 trades in one book. Im personally just waiting for those to come out before I buy.

Great. It gets better as it goes on too.

I've heard of it, but I don't remember where. Probably an artist i follow on twitter sharing it or something. Post impressions once you read it, because it looks really cool

Will do! I think it may have made some end of the year lists. I had a look at a few interviews and I think there's a celtic mythology influence going on with the book too, apparently Geis is a Gaelic word for Curse. I love the celtic/faerie type folklorey influence in HB so even better.

Owzers

I can't decide if I miss print comics or not, put a couple sets up on eBay and have been sorting through more. I like covers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The feeling when you say that you think that a movie is really, really good and everyone in the thread acts like you have compared it to Troll 2.

Snotgirl #1 - #5 : I have no idea what the hell is going on. Caroline is super creepy. Actually, almost everyone in the book other than Esther is super creepy. I almost skipped this because it was O'Malley but glad I didn't. It looks like it has the potential to be decent.

Messi

Snotgirl #1 - #5 : I have no idea what the hell is going on. Caroline is super creepy. Actually, almost everyone in the book other than Esther is super creepy. I almost skipped this because it was O'Malley but glad I didn't. It looks like it has the potential to be decent.

What if I told you it's not back until July and then is bi monthly.

Top Bottom