• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

They did say
it might not be Bruce, so whatever. Could be Joker dressed up like Batman again. Either way it explains why Snyder jumped on Zero Year so fast.

(Forever Evil Speculation):
Maybe the character has been in other bat titles I haven't read, (ruling out the possibility) but perhaps it's Lincoln Marsh/Thomas Wayne Jr. from the Night of Owls arc? If the Earth 3 Owlman is trying to take things over, and if Bruce is missing, perhaps he takes up the mantle?

witness

So yesterday I bought the first 3 issues of Avengers as comixology had them for .99, and I hate to say I was left disappointed. I have been away from comics for a long time and I was thinking, cool the Avengers, I love these guys. I didn't expect it to be so focused on a bunch of characters I have never heard of and aren't that interesting to me. I want to see the original Avengers interacting. That is what was so great about the start of N52 JL.

kswiston

So yesterday I bought the first 3 issues of Avengers as comixology had them for .99, and I hate to say I was left disappointed. I have been away from comics for a long time and I was thinking, cool the Avengers, I love these guys. I didn't expect it to be so focused on a bunch of characters I have never heard of and aren't that interesting to me. I want to see the original Avengers interacting. Think I'll just stick to the solo books.

The Avengers has never had a stable roster. It's not uncommon for one or more of the big 3 to be missing from the lineup.

Acid08

Banned
So yesterday I bought the first 3 issues of Avengers as comixology had them for .99, and I hate to say I was left disappointed. I have been away from comics for a long time and I was thinking, cool the Avengers, I love these guys. I didn't expect it to be so focused on a bunch of characters I have never heard of and aren't that interesting to me. I want to see the original Avengers interacting.
What do you mean by original Avengers? Admittedly they aren't the most stellar issues but it was the beginning of Hickman's entire thing. Sounds like you just want some Bendis ish.

Edit: This is also not really comparable to nu52 JL. That had to pretend like those were new characters because it was an entirely new universe. Avengers is a brand new story featuring the Avengers.

kswiston

What do you mean by original Avengers? Admittedly they aren't the most stellar issues but it was the beginning of Hickman's entire thing. Sounds like you just want some Bendis ish.

They aren't the movie lineups, but he might be happier with New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers. Fewer Smasher and Eden tier characters on those teams.

frye

They aren't the movie lineups, but he might be happier with New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers. Fewer Smasher and Eden tier characters on those teams.

Yeah, Uncanny is the most Avengers-y atm and I'd say about half the cast can be considered "classic" (Scarlet Witch, Cap, Thor, Wasp, Wonder Man).

Obligatory warning: the first four issues are kinda bad but it gets going once it's more sure of itself and Cassaday stops drawing.

Acid08

Banned
Ah yeah that makes sense. It's a bit out there especially if nu52 JL is the metric it's based against.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
(Forever Evil Speculation):
Maybe the character has been in other bat titles I haven't read, (ruling out the possibility) but perhaps it's Lincoln Marsh/Thomas Wayne Jr. from the Night of Owls arc? If the Earth 3 Owlman is trying to take things over, and if Bruce is missing, perhaps he takes up the mantle?

I'll admit that sounds interesting. Sadly I have no faith in DC editorial on this.

So yesterday I bought the first 3 issues of Avengers as comixology had them for .99, and I hate to say I was left disappointed. I have been away from comics for a long time and I was thinking, cool the Avengers, I love these guys. I didn't expect it to be so focused on a bunch of characters I have never heard of and aren't that interesting to me. I want to see the original Avengers interacting. That is what was so great about the start of N52 JL.

I highly suggest Avengers: Endless Wartime when it releases, it seems like it will be right up your alley.

Oh, so I bought some Locke & Key before going on vacation the other week. I hold each and everyone of you responsible for not telling me how good it is. I had an absolute blast going through it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Other than the recent Captain Marvel takes over another book randomly event (awwwwwkward), Avengers Assemble by Deconnick has been some great times with Avengers interacting with each other.

Hickman's Avengers just reads like some original characters (do not steal) comic he wanted to write but applied a wrapper of "oh that big billion dollar superhero team property" to while New Avengers is his "I am still writing a Reed Richards+Black Panther book, suck it down" actually enjoyable output.

'Kay so I read All-New X-Men #15. When I saw the melodramtic cover I though it was cute. But never did I imagine it would in fact be a page to page full-on soap opera. I was stunned. And when I put it down I was at a loss as to whether I liked it. I do think it appeals to me, I'm not pleased to admit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
'Kay so I read All-New X-Men #15. When I saw the melodramtic cover I though it was cute. But never did I imagine it would in fact be a page to page full-on soap opera. I was stunned. And when I put it down I was at a loss as to whether I liked it. I do think it appeals to me, I'm not pleased to admit.

That's one of the times when X-Men is at it's best though, it's a book that lends itself very well to soap opera hi-jinks.

My issue with All New Xmen is it hasn't really gone anywhere. Its been treading water forever.

True, we didn't need to have 3 different issues just to meet the Avengers.

Tizoc

Superior foes of Spiderman was great, and really fun.
I like this Beatle if only because she has an interest in doing supervillainy if possible.
Overdrive is cool too, but is he supposed to be based on that villain that used a big wheel vehicle?

kswiston

That issue reminded me a lot of Blue Monday (from Oni Press) for some reason.

8/14 List

Killjoys #3
Astro City #3
Batgirl #23
Batman #23
JLA #7
X-Files #3
East of West #5
Saga #13
Superior Spiderman Teamup #2

Nudull

Banned
Saga week, woo~!

Adventure Time: Candy Capers #2
Batgirl #23
Red Sonja #2
Saga #13

So why aren't more here reading Smallville? It's the only Superman book I'm reading besides Superman/Batman.

They just introduced Wonder Woman/Diana and the art in this current arc is the best so far in the entire series. Penciler is Jorge Jimenez
http://www.comicartfans.com/searchresult.asp?txtsearch=jorge jimenez

I am interested in checking it out, though it may depend on much how I'd need to know from the show, continuity-wise. :eek:

Tizoc

I am interested in checking it out, though it may depend on much how I'd need to know from the show, continuity-wise. :eek:

I've never watched the show, mainly random eps. or scenes, but still managed to enjoy the comic, it gets bonus points for providing a great take on Prankster AND DOING A STUNT WITH THE FREAKIN' BATMOBILE!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Saga week, woo~!

Adventure Time: Candy Capers #2
Batgirl #23
Saga #13

Just read a summary of the last few seasons or watch the finale and you'll know more than enough.

Iron Badger's pull list, now presented in Panel-Vision.

1267871_ful.jpg
1275668_ful.jpg
1275791_ful.jpg

1275753_ful.jpg
1275798_ful.jpg
cs0uPw9.jpg

1275651_ful.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's more of a GotG thing, Bendis said we'd be getting an explanation at some point. Hasn't happened yet though, and it better be good when it does.

but if you're using Thanos post-imperative, don't you have to explain how he got there?

Tizoc

Quick rundown of my comic book catch up:
Megaman #28
Current arc combines Super Adventure Rockman and Rockman 3's story, and this arc is starting to look pretty dark IMO. art was good in this issue too.

Smallville 54-58
Wonder Woman arc atm, when did Ma Kent become a Senator?!

Suicide Squad 22
Ales Kot is doing fantastic work with the book, but it's a shame DC have him off of it soon =(

Wonder Woman 22
Highfather is such a dick. How long did Az say his run is gonna last again?

Invincible 104
Good issue IMO, really like how she talked him down. Wonder what his reason for saving him is though? Does he want to meet up with the good Invincibles of other realities?

Lazarus 2
Issue seemed more about world building, but I still enjoy it and the characterization.

All-Star Western 22
Wonder if Jonah will return to his time or continue in present day Gotham? IMO, Hex in present time can lead to some interesting stories.

Rocketeer and Spirit 1
Good start IMO, looking forward to next issues.

Batman Annual 2
Good story IMO, and I like that the new guy is adamant about helping people.

Superior Foes of Spiderman 1+2
You guys weren't kidding this book is terrific and hilarious, Gonna check and see what other stuff Nick Spencer wrote...wait didn't he write Supergirl before the reboot?

Robocop: Last Stand #1
Hey a new comic by Frank Miller! Well it had a stripper, but overall a good start.

TF: Robots in disguise 20
Rat-trap! ...and Starscream just looks like he's gonna fuck it all up, I really feel bad for the guy sometimes...

So, Comic-GAF, I just finished reading Sandman: The Wake. I'm fairly certain that the whole topic of Sandman has been discussed to death in this thread before but since there might be other pariahs like me, that haven't read it before, I think it's worthy of getting a mention once again.

Sandman has been on my "to read"-list for nearly 15 years now but somehow the stars hadn't been in their right position before, I think. During the last month, I got all of the tpb's from Preludes and Nocturnes to The Wake from my local library and started reading through them. All things considered, I liked it and I can only imagine, what an impact it had when it was first released. I wouldn't say that it was flawless or that it climbed to my all time top 10, but it was a solid and imaginative piece of storytelling, that really hooked me, when it was firing on all cylinders. My personal favourite story arcs were presented within Preludes and Nocturnes, The Doll's House and Season of Mists. Especially the latter was absolutely brilliant and I almost got late for work, because I couldn't stop reading it one morning :D As I stated before, the series is far from flawless in my opinion and I think most of the tie-in stories and spin-offs were bland and didn't really have an impact on me. I liked A Game of You and Dream Country but Fables and Reflections and World's End were, truth be told, mostly just boring and forgettable. I can understand the pivotal role that Fables and Reflections had for the main plot (
The relationship between Dream and Orpheus and the repercussions it would have later on
) but besides that.....meh.

Now that I think of it, Sandman was kinda like TDKR: a mixed bag, that has high points that hits baffling lows as well, but gets its act together and leaves on a high note, because The Wake was a fantastic ending to the series. I mean, I consider it to be the definitive ending, since I'm content with the story and don't really have too much interest to read any of the spin-offs. Apart from Lucifer, since I read through it a year ago. Also, Sandman deserves a special mention, because this was the first comic, where I could actually enjoy Kelley Jones's art :D

Finally, finally got my hands on Saga Vol. 1

I don't know what I was thinking waiting so long for this, but I'm gonna see if I can get Vol. 2 + Saga #13 sometime this week.

Blader

I've been re-reading Morrison's Batman run in full and this shit is crazy good. I still think RIP and Final Crisis are extremely messy narratives, and I kinda dislike entirely that such an important part of his Batman story had to occur in a separate event for a bunch if reasons. But overall I've been digging it a lot more than I remember doing so the first time, noticing some parallels I had missed the first time, and I love the whole legacy theme that runs throughout the book - especially knowing where it ends up in Inc.

Losing John Romita Jr. would be an unthinkable occurrence for Marvel; I mean, the guy's a cornerstone of the company, his visual style in many ways is Marvel Comics.

But, by that same token, what hasn't JRJR done at Marvel? I mean, what do you offer him that he hasn't already done? What?

ElNarez

Banned
LISTS, (ah aaaaah) they'll save every one of us
True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #3 (Best fanfiction of a music video since "The Adventures of Peter Gabriel's Claymation Face")
Astro City #3
Batman #23
Constantine #6 (It's still enjoyably not that bad)
Demon Knights #23 (Last one and it's breaking my heart why didn't you buy the Horse Telepath Lady Book)
Justice League of America #7 (Come on Geoff bash all those fucking action figures together, make the biggest most craziest all-encompassing event, do it, this is the best, you're the best)
Suicide Squad #23 (Man, fuck you Geoff Johns for bashing those fucking action figures, derailing what was gonna be a great fucking run with your fucking event, you're the worst)
East of West #5
Saga #13 (YAY)
Deadpool #14
Fantastic Four #11
Thor God of Thunder #11
Uncanny X-Force #10 (I got a lot more tolerant of this book when I realized it was Super Hero Twin Peaks But Not All That Well Done, which is more imaginative than about 90% of corporate cape comics)
Uncanny X-Men #10
Wolverine #8
Wolverine and the X-Men #34

ghostmind

Just give JRJR what he wants Marvel - you cannot afford to lose him.

Besides a Dr. Strange series with him on art would be godly.

Muthafuckin' lists!

Muthafuckin' Batgirl #23
Muthafuckin' East of West #5
Muthafuckin' Saga #13
Muthafuckin' Walking Dead #113
Muthafuckin' Fearless Defenders #8 (@ $3.99 omgwtf)
Muthafuckin' Infinity #1
Muthafuckin' Uncanny X-Men #10
Muthafuckin' Wolverine & The X-Men #34

I think Uncanny X-Force is dropped. It's gotten to the point where I'm wondering why I'm even reading it. Is Spiral even on the team? I thought she was an interesting choice, and wanted to see where they went with it. Oh, look. She has a bit part in the first story arc, and she hasn't been heard from since.

Losing John Romita Jr. would be an unthinkable occurrence for Marvel; I mean, the guy's a cornerstone of the company, his visual style in many ways is Marvel Comics.

But, by that same token, what hasn't JRJR done at Marvel? I mean, what do you offer him that he hasn't already done? What?

this may sound like sacrilege, but I've always, ALWAYS hated JRJR's style. whenever I saw it, it made me want to burn whatever book it was I was reading.

So this Infinity thing

Have they explained what happened at the end of Thanos Imperative yet? You know, what happened to Nova and why Star-Lord is back? Because it keeps feeling like they decided "we want to use these characters because movies so lol whatever", which pisses me off because I loved the ending to TI.

That's more of a GotG thing, Bendis said we'd be getting an explanation at some point. Hasn't happened yet though, and it better be good when it does.
Didn't Star-Lord and Thanos come back in Avengers Assemble #3 already? They just magically returned. No real explanation so far.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Star-Lord and Thanos come back in Avengers Assemble #3 already? They just magically returned. No real explanation so far.

We got a blank stare by Star-Lord when someone adked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom