• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of DC not allowing their books to be any fun, i need to try Batman 66 sometime. Anyone up to date on it?

I've only read the first issue, plus the one story/chapter/whatever. (For those who don't know, Batman 66 releases one chapter weekly, with the four chapters being complied in the each monthly physical issue). So 5 weeks worth. Was wavering on whether to read it digitally or in floppies. Now that they are no longer releasing the digital issues with guided view, there's really no reason for me to read digitally so that made the decision easy.

I really, really like it. And I hated the show. But the show translates brilliantly to the page. Having a little familiarity with the show helps, though, just to sort of have a sense of the (groovy) vibe and characters. I find that while its not nessesarily funny, it is very amusing, fun and playful. And in a different way than say Superior-Foes or Hawkeye. It's unique stuff and should be checked out.

So I am looking to get back into comics. I bought a few issues on my phone after looking up which series are really good since N52 and Marvel Now.

So far I have bought; JL 1 and 2, Batman 1 and 2, Aquaman 1 (wow, that was great), WW #1, and Action Comics 1.

I think though that I will just start buying the volumes of these series off the kindle app. I prefer the comixology app though.

From what I read Thor, Hulk, and X Men are really good right now. How are Iron Man, Captain America, and Avenger series? Any recommendations?
The Hulk series is really good since Waid took over. Hawkeye and Daredevil are the best Marvel books going.

I'd recommend Swamp Thing and Animal Man from DC, but there was a crossover between the two books that ran on a bit long. So if that's something that turns you off I'd take it into consideration. I also have a personal affinity for the current Flash series. I don't think it's amazing but it's consistently enjoyable and the art is always great. The Annual that came out last week was also really good.

The most "fun" book DC is putting out right now is Green Team. I cant even tell you who is even writing it without looking it up. Its like if the rich kids of Arrow or Gossip Girl decided to use their money to become heroes. Pretty enertaining so far.

ReiGun

I think fun is relative. I have fun reading most of my DC pulls, and the ones I like the most know how to inject levity and/or excitement into the stories so it's not all doom and gloom.

I guess others need the book to be like Hawkeye or Young Avengers for it to be fun, and that's cool. Those are great books too. But for me, those aren't the only kind of "fun" books.

Veelk

Banned
This 'fun' thing keeps getting brought up. Comics are the only medium where I heard the word thrown around as often as it is, except maybe when people talk about comic book movies. But for books or something, I rarely have ever heard anybody try to use "it's fun" as a selling point.

Messi

I've no local comic store. I've got to travel an hour to the nearest store. You guys are quite lucky. Gotta go next week just for Saga :/

Veelk

Banned
Really? Because I've seen that for movies, TV shows, video games, etc

Well, it's not that I've never seen it, but it is rare. When I got recommended the Dresden Files by various people, the most 'fun' book series that comes to immediately to my mind, they recommended it because it had a pretty well defined world, because the characters went through a lot of awesome development, because there are a lot of cool and humous moments. But no one called it 'fun' like that alone was some kind of validation of it. When I do hear it, it's usually an offhand remark, as if it's just a minor plus rather than the main attraction of whatever they're recommending. Comics are the only place where I see 'fun' used as the main selling point for a story.

Edit: Videogames, I hear it pretty often, but that's usually referring to the gameplay rather than the story.

frye

Well, it's not that I've never seen it, but it is rare. When I got recommended the Dresden Files by various people, the most 'fun' book series that comes to immediately to my mind, they recommended it because it had a pretty well defined world, because the characters went through a lot of awesome development, because there are a lot of cool and humous moments. But no one called it 'fun' like that alone was some kind of validation of it. When I do hear it, it's usually an offhand remark, as if it's just a minor plus rather than the main attraction of whatever they're recommending. Comics are the only place where I see 'fun' used as the main selling point for a story.

Edit: Videogames, I hear it pretty often, but that's usually referring to the gameplay rather than the story.

I think a lot of readers are pretty much responding to shitty comics and equating shittiness with "darkness" so the opposite of that - FUN! - gets put on a weird pedestal even if quote unquote fun doesn't' necessitate quality.

That doesn't mean "fun" comics are automatically shitty btw, but the amount of love that something like Tiny Titans got from grown ass adults was disproportional to its actual merits.

Owzers

to me , fun is:

Hawkeye
Daredevil until it got dark
Atomic Robo
FF now, and FF/Fantastic Four Hickman style
Umbrella Academy
Nextwave
first two arcs of Wolverine and the X-Men
Batman and Robin
Batgirl Stephanie Brown land
Casanova
IZombie
Rebels
earlly Incredible Hercules arc
Rocketeer Cargo of Doom

when i think of "fun" in comics, i associate that with a light-hearted adventurous tone and possibly some humorous shenanigans.

It's all a bit arbitrary though.

mrhGB

Banned
I've been reading The Punisher MAX and I'm enjoying it. Bullseye is one crazy mother fucker. I kinda wish I didn't wait neigh on 30 years to give comics a go.

Yes you are. Stegman draws the first issue of Scarlet Spider so you're in for fun there. Prophet is amazing.
Prophet is amazing, Scarlet is good. You're getting dat Stegman in Scarlet too.
I haven't read Scarlet Spider but the first trade of Prophet was good and kind of bizarre.
Good to hear. I've heard a lot of buzz about Prophet but Scarlet Spider I'm going in pretty blind. Though that Stegman art posted earlier in the thread definitely gets me excited for it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Scarlet Spider is one of my favourite comics right now. The writing is top notch, but after Stegman left the book (FOR THE BIG TIME/SLOTT TRASH) it went through a sub-par Koi Pham phase, but its back to having better art nowadays. Pham also started to improve as he went along. Dunno if it has a regular penciller at the mo though..
7xIdFUR.png

Book is just fun and full of laugh out loud moments.

TheWraith

On that high recommend, I'll give it a shot. I've been ignoring SW comics since Wood's boring misfire so this would be a great relief.

Cool!

Yeah Wood's Star Wars is a indeed a misfire. He really doesn't seem to know Star Wars all that well, as it reads more like a general sci-fi story, without any of SW's adventurous aspect. Especially his dialogue is jarring, he gives Han/Luke/etc. lines that don't really fit their characters and it also sorely lacks humor or a lighter touch. All of this the Hardman Legacy team could right from the very first Legacy issue. A shame, since I really dig D'anda's art.

Owzers

Did sweet tooth get better after the first arc? I found it a little too calm and dreary to be motivated in continuing it.

If you didn't like the first arc, then it's probably not a book for you. I've read the first 4 or 5 trades and really love it a lot. But I did from the start.

I never got into it. It just looked too bizarre. Like it was Grant Morrison's writing given visual representation.

to me , fun is:

Daredevil until it got dark

first two arcs of Wolverine and the X-Men

when i think of "fun" in comics, i associate that with a light-hearted adventurous tone and possibly some humorous shenanigans.

Awww, what'd they do to those? I was just thinking about buying the trades to catch up as I haven't been reading them lately but that's going to be disappointing if my favorite (WatXM) and a nice fun read aren't the same anymore. I stopped reading right around Avengers vs XMen.

Awww, what'd they do to those? I was just thinking about buying the trades to catch up as I haven't been reading them lately but that's going to be disappointing if my favorite (WatXM) and a nice fun read aren't the same anymore. I stopped reading right around Avengers vs XMen.

WatXM continues to be good, AvX had a lot of important developments for Kid Gladiator, Broo and the others. It also has the fantastic Allred issue towards the end.

They didn't do anything to those. WatXM is still a "fun" book; readers just reacted strongly to
Broo getting shot
and then the series went into AvX crossovers, and people thought the magic was gone... but it wasn't. And Daredevil has been consistently amazing, but the carefree tone of earlier issues was tempered by sad developments and heavy emotional tones; the book, however, retains its uplifting spirit and that shines through brighter than ever.

In fact, I am confident in saying that Daredevil is consistently the best book Marvel puts out and has been since July 2011.

ElNarez

Banned
It lost a shitton of momentum building up to the Omega Effect, and that crossover wans't good either. You want Most Consistent Marvel Book That Has Had At Least Ten Issues Published, you go for either Hawkeye or X-Men Legacy.

It lost a shitton of momentum building up to the Omega Effect, and that crossover wans't good either. You want Most Consistent Marvel Book That Has Had At Least Ten Issues Published, you go for either Hawkeye or X-Men Legacy.
Nope, it's Daredevil. I very recently went back and read the entire run thus far in one go, and it's Daredevil.

Daredevil got "darker", but it's building on things laid down since the very first issue. The tone is still very similar throughout. I say it's kinda like Frank Miller's run, which definitely went to some dark places, but also had Turk, a running gag of people flying through the local bar window, that hilarious Power Man/Iron Fist team-up issue, and many instances of Daredevil smiling and enjoying life.

Daredevil178.jpg

Hawkeye and Thor are great, but DD is probably Marvel's best book right now. If you liked the first 7-9 issues of Waid's run, then you'll like it when Samnee comes on board, I think.

Acid08

Banned
I love Waid's DD because it can feel so grounded in reality and personable one second and then have totally fucking crazy stuff the next like the
Coyote
stuff.

MartyStu

Spoilers for Forever Evil Preview:
How is it that Batman STILL manages to come out on top when all the other heroes are gone?

I like Rafa's assessment of Lemire's art. All the characters looking at you confused like "why was I drawn?"

That's an amusing description and I can understand that take, for sure.

See, for me, I feel that I can read a lot of emotion on Lemire's characters' faces. Whether it be terror, relief, happiness and other more subtle, nuanced feelings and states of mind. And depictions of that kind of humanity and vulnerability are something I don't often find in comic book art. I think too, part of the beauty of Sweet Tooth springs from that special element that can be found when you have the same person writing and drawing a piece. The synergy of the words and images can be that much more powerful and affecting. And that's what I find in the book; simply drawn lines that deliver a strong emotional punch.

They didn't do anything to those. WatXM is still a "fun" book; readers just reacted strongly to
Broo getting shot
and then the series went into AvX crossovers, and people thought the magic was gone... but it wasn't. And Daredevil has been consistently amazing, but the carefree tone of earlier issues was tempered by sad developments and heavy emotional tones; the book, however, retains its uplifting spirit and that shines through brighter than ever.

In fact, I am confident in saying that Daredevil is consistently the best book Marvel puts out and has been since July 2011.

Awesome. Finally getting around to visiting my shop again Wednesday now I won't be hesitant to pick up some trades.

How is it that Batman STILL manages to come out on top when all the other heroes are gone?

How can you even ask that? The answer is always:
He's Batman

Edit: On Art, it always confounds me when people mention "lol art is bad" like there's a standard of what artist should be producing. Not everyone draws like [Insert your favorite artist], that's what makes comics great.

Finished up the Inhumans one-shot/collection Something Inhuman This Way Comes. Really enjoyed the first half of it. And then 70's era mustache-twirling Magneto and the boring-ass Avengers come along and it all goes a bit sideways.

But how cool are the Inhumans, eh? What well-designed characters. If/when there is a relaunch, I'll be stoked to check it out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They did say
it might not be Bruce, so whatever. Could be Joker dressed up like Batman again. Either way it explains why Snyder jumped on Zero Year so fast.

frye

The best thing about Waid, Samnee et al. on Daredevil is that they did a really long version of *the* Daredevil story for two years and it didn't feel like Miller Lite. Not that there's no sign of Miller - he haunts the character no matter which direction you go - but it's a comic that is indebted to him in so many ways, yet doesn't feel constrained by that debt.

devil in cell block d still rules tho

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So this Infinity thing

Have they explained what happened at the end of Thanos Imperative yet? You know, what happened to Nova and why Star-Lord is back? Because it keeps feeling like they decided "we want to use these characters because movies so lol whatever", which pisses me off because I loved the ending to TI.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So this Infinity thing

Have they explained what happened at the end of Thanos Imperative yet? You know, what happened to Nova and why Star-Lord is back? Because it keeps feeling like they decided "we want to use these characters because movies so lol whatever", which pisses me off because I loved the ending to TI.

That's more of a GotG thing, Bendis said we'd be getting an explanation at some point. Hasn't happened yet though, and it better be good when it does.

I have been putting off a bullhorn about how daredevil has been marvels most consist title.

It's one of he title that saved marvel.

Except shadowland we don't talk about shadowland

Acid08

Banned
That's an amusing description and I can understand that take, for sure.

See, for me, I feel that I can read a lot of emotion on Lemire's characters' faces. Whether it be terror, relief, happiness and other more subtle, nuanced feelings and states of mind. And depictions of that kind of humanity and vulnerability are something I don't often find in comic book art. I think too, part of the beauty of Sweet Tooth springs from that special element that can be found when you have the same person writing and drawing a piece. The synergy of the words and images can be that much more powerful and affecting. And that's what I find in the book; simply drawn lines that deliver a strong emotional punch.
Yeah I definitely think Lemire has a cool, unique style. The faces are just too funny sometimes though haha. I think Underwater Welder was the biggest victim of this even though it really is an incredible graphic novel.

Parch

That's a fair definition.
I just find that too many comics are WAAAY too serious. Not just dark, but constantly relying on good vs evil confrontation gets extremely boring. Or they go with a bunch of melodramatic nonsense to maintain ongoing sales.

If they want to stick with the same old writing strategies that have been done for decades, they better find a way to be much more creative about it.

Give me fun any day because there's too much bad drama out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom