• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Awful news. What ever happened to three volumes of oversized hardcovers?

Omnibuses are garbage

yep...

but even worse.

compendiums..

walking-dead-compendium.jpg

that shit makes me laugh every time i see someone lugging it around reading it.

kswiston

Avengers was really kind of bland. I keep teetering on how much I actually care about Infinity.

New Avengers is where all the action is. Avengers has had a few good moments, but it's definitely my least favourite of Hickman's current books.

Savitar

yep...

but even worse.

compendiums..

walking-dead-compendium.jpg

that shit makes me laugh every time i see someone lugging it around reading it.

I would bring both first two compendiums of The Walking Dead to smite you good sir for that opinion if not for the fact carrying them for any distance is a herculean task .

Nudull

Banned
Avengers was really kind of bland. I keep teetering on how much I actually care about Infinity.

Yeah, really, I think I'm going to drop Avengers and New Avengers and just read Infinity until further notice. I'm already behind on the former two, and trying to play catch up on top of attempting to follow the Infinity tie-ins will just be too much for me.

VeeP

Batman and Nightwing, damn. Last 4 pages or so were just... dat feel.

And again, if you haven't checked out Batman Beyond 2.0/Universe yet, you should. It's good.

Top books of the week.

1. Batman and Nightwing - very emotional story.

2. Superman Unchained. Snyder + Lee + Superman = A great comic book.

3. Justice League Dark TW pt5. This was more enertaining than last weeks pt4 but stil not at the level of the first 2. Still fun seeing all these characters on the pages though.

4. Superior Spiderman. I might be in the minority here but I miss Parkers voice in the stories. Other than that, you can tell something big is in the works and this book stays consistently good.

5. Pandora - This book has had the best and most tie-ins to the Trinity War. I liked this book this week for the writing. Good subject matter on good and evil.

Fistexe

Ultimate Ultimates continues to stay rather unpredictable and weird. Didn't see the twitst in #29 coming, reminds me of strange Ultimate Enemy stuff by Bendis. Interesting how it ties with Hunger.

Also, is it only me or director in Nova #7 looks like Whedon?

Jubilee stuff in X-Men was really great, love the tone. But I guess with all this battle of atom epic crossover, we wiil be not getting something like this for a while.

TheWraith

Anybody else find Superman Unchained very underwhelming so far? So there's
another Superman like being the government has been using for over 70 years and only now Superman finds out?
C'mon. Also the plot in general comes over as very standard and not something on Snyder's Batman level at all, hope it gets better before the book gets delayed like every other Lee book.

X-Men was really good this week. Sweet Jubilee/Wolverine scenes and finally some good Storm drama. I loved when
Storm told Rachel she could kick her ass.
Wood is turning into a superstar.

Awful news. What ever happened to three volumes of oversized hardcovers?

Omnibuses are garbage
I still prefer Omnibuses to that premiere bullshit but yeah, the 300-400 page OSHC was the perfect format and they killed it. My best guess is that they wanted to drive prices up.
There's stuff like Brubaker's Cap or Fraction's Iron Man that is still missing at least one OSHC and I'm honestly not holding my breath for these volumes to ever release.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Before Lemire announces another book he's working on, he needs to announce that he's leaving Animal Man and handing it over to someone who gives a shit.

Fair enough, to each their own.
I realize that (here at least) my unabashed love for Geoff Johns is far from the norm. He and Grant Morrison are basically what got me back into comics after a very long absence from the hobby.

Batman and Nightwing was good, but I think I'm all feel'd out over the Damian situation. This one didn't destroy me like past issues. Wonder Woman got my feels this week.

Man, the Avengers could not feel any more insignificant in all this Infinity business. lol

Even though we've got this Trinity War mystery licked at this point, I'm still really enjoying the story. It's actually getting me pretty hyped for Villain's Month. No small feat considering I did not care at all two weeks ago.

I'm enjoying Supergirl, but man Kara is a real asshole. I feel for her, but she's an asshole.

On the current topic, I don't get why people hate John's so much. He's a good writer who turns in entertaining stories, which is really all I ask.

I enjoy Johns' work quite a bit as well, and I think overall he's done a great job of reviving a lot of characters, and he's awesome at world building. I think the one major thing that bothers me about him, is that in a lot of ways it feels like he's trying to recreate his childhood DC comics. I'm jokingly surprised that the Justice League hasn't been renamed to the Super Friends. Some times for me it works, and some times not so much. I know I'm in the minority that is happy to see Barry Allen back. I'm probably also in the minority that have had enough of Hal being the Jesus of the GL corps. Specially when Kyle is 10x the GL Hal could ever hope to be, and a lot of Johns run was spent reversing that and really trying to push Hal back up.

All that said I'm loving Trinity War, and I'm really looking forward to Forever Evil, and when we do go back to status quo what will be changed. I think Forever Evil is going to give them the chance to finally answer a lot of questions about what's changed/different about this Universe compared to the last. I fully expect the Doomsday issue to touch on the new version of the Death of Superman, and stuff like that.

I fully agree with you by the way about Kara. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the Super family of books took the biggest hit quality/character wise from the Nu52. I thought they finally got the last universes versions of Superboy, and Supergirl were handled much better. While Kara, did start off similar in the last universe I thought they got her to a really good spot finally. This Kara is just a bitch.

I also still think having Ma and Pa Kent dead in this Universe was the worse change they made. Fine take away Luthor's interesting challenges for Superman as a businessman he can't touch. Make him closer to the golden age evil scientist what ever, but at least keep Ma and Pa Kent alive. They're what humanize, and ground Superman/Clark. I just feel taking them away and playing up the whole alien alone on this planet angle is so damn stupid.

I still prefer Omnibuses to that premiere bullshit but yeah, the 300-400 page OSHC was the perfect format and they killed it. My best guess is that they wanted to drive prices up.
There's stuff like Brubaker's Cap or Fraction's Iron Man that is still missing at least one OSHC and I'm honestly not holding my breath for these volumes to ever release.

They're still doing them for Daredevil and Hawkguy thank christ

tim1138

Before Lemire announces another book he's working on, he needs to announce that he's leaving Animal Man and handing it over to someone who gives a shit.

I didn't have the funds to get this month's issue yet, but I've really enjoyed the book again post RotWorld (which even he admits went on too long). The stuff with the Splinterfolk has been good and I thought the Annual was fantastic. I just wish he'd crib from Morrison and introduce B'Wana Beast into the book.

So with the whole JL3000 supposed to be dark and gritty and the LoSH spoiler's DC would do this if they were talented. Juxtapose the gritty JUstice League analogues with the golden age/Superman inspired Legion. Clash of styles and the rise of the legion. Starting out Legion less successful but in the favor of the public leading to the heights they achieved in past books.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I didn't have the funds to get this month's issue yet, but I've really enjoyed the book again post RotWorld (which even he admits went on too long). The stuff with the Splinterfolk has been good and I thought the Annual was fantastic. I just wish he'd crib from Morrison and introduce B'Wana Beast into the book.

I think my problem is that Animal Man is one of my favorite characters in superhero comics and right now, post-Rotworld, I just don't feel like there's much forward momentum with his story.

I know he's grieving, and I'm all for grieving issues when done right (Batman & Co. are consistently my issues of the week when they drop) but the way it's all being written and plotted is pretty mindless.

Also, Tim, the annual was a fantastic little story but the price for the one really great moment among 5 other issues of crap is kinda steep.

I thought the stuff with the Red needed to be dropped a while back, because it turned Buddy into a fucking Green Lantern, where there's a council of otherworldly douches that he constantly has to fight for and with, but it may be salvageable if you just give readers more Maxine and Socks and less Buddy.

Also, Lemire's writing a bunch of other books. There's just no way that Animal Man isn't getting the shit-end of his ideas, especially with him being part of a big event, having his own personal project, and now announcing a brand new book.

edit: And yeah, bring me some damn B'wana Beast! Get that half naked dude in here.

tim1138

I think my problem is that Animal Man is one of my favorite characters in superhero comics and right now, post-Rotworld, I just don't feel like there's much forward momentum with his story.

I know he's grieving, and I'm all for grieving issues when done right (Batman & Co. are consistently my issues of the week when they drop) but the way it's all being written and plotted is pretty mindless.

Also, Tim, the annual was a fantastic little story but the price for the one really great moment among 5 other issues of crap is kinda steep.

I thought the stuff with the Red needed to be dropped a while back, because it turned Buddy into a fucking Green Lantern, where there's a council of otherworldly douches that he constantly has to fight for and with, but it may be salvageable if you just give readers more Maxine and Socks and less Buddy.

Also, Lemire's writing a bunch of other books. There's just no way that Animal Man isn't getting the shit-end of his ideas, especially with him being part of a big event, having his own personal project, and now announcing a brand new book.

edit: And yeah, bring me some damn B'wana Beast! Get that half naked dude in here.

I get your complaints and agree 100% on the stuff with the Red. If Lemire continues to do smaller stories with Maxine and Socks, I'm fine but I don't need to see Buddy placating the circle of elders every issue because they're mad at him. Buddy is at his best when he's doing what he believes in, not when he's forced into a pointless crossover with Swampy.

Where we will have to agree to disagree is Lemire's treatment of Buddy's grieving. Whereas Bruce's grieving is a personal process limited to those close to him, Buddy has to deal with not only the death of
Cliff
, but in a very public manner thanks to his new found celebrity status while at the same time trying to get back to his roots and helping animals. I dunno, I really like the way Lemire writes the relationships between fathers and sons (which is why Underwater Welder was so godly for me).

The N52 needs the White God of Kilimanjaro to appear!

Hey, quick dumb question. I barely read any comics any more, and my fandom definitely peaked in the 90's. But I occasionally dive back into something here and there.

I was completely unaware of the new Valiant universe until a couple of weeks ago. It looks amazing! But is it true that Turok, Magnus and Solar aren't in it thanks to lack of ownership? That part is a bummer if so. Also, the continuity is completely a reboot, right?

TheWraith

Hey, quick dumb question. I barely read any comics any more, and my fandom definitely peaked in the 90's. But I occasionally dive back into something here and there.

I was completely unaware of the new Valiant universe until a couple of weeks ago. It looks amazing! But is it true that Turok, Magnus and Solar aren't in it thanks to lack of ownership? That part is a bummer if so. Also, the continuity is completely a reboot, right?

yep & yep!

Dark Horse licensed Turok, Magnus and Solar from property owners Classic Media Inc. a couple of years ago, and attempted a revival with Jim Shooter at the helm. The line was canceled after just a few issues of each came out, however, because (according to Shooter's partner) Classic wanted too much money for the license and a controlling input on stories, and the low sales weren't justifying their asking price or the creative interference.

So, the licenses are out there and waiting for someone willing to put up with Classic's BS.

Dark Horse licensed Turok, Magnus and Solar from property owners Classic Media Inc. a couple of years ago, and attempted a revival with Jim Shooter at the helm. The line was canceled after just a few issues of each came out, however, because (according to Shooter's partner) Classic wanted too much money for the license and a controlling input on stories, and the low sales weren't justifying their asking price or the creative interference.

So, the licenses are out there and waiting for someone willing to put up with Classic's BS.
Dreamworks purchased a bunch of Classic's shit. Not sure if Turok was one of them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Fuck. That irritates me greatly. I would love to see a new magnus series in the valiant brand.

Splatt

Anybody else find Superman Unchained very underwhelming so far? So there's
another Superman like being the government has been using for over 70 years and only now Superman finds out?
C'mon. Also the plot in general comes over as very standard and not something on Snyder's Batman level at all, hope it gets better before the book gets delayed like every other Lee book.

Plot is as cookie cutter as it gets. Snyder is channeling his inner Loeb for Unchained.

Anybody recommend Red Hood and the Outlaws?

Hrm. I've been enjoying it? But it currently is struggling to find itself. It started out as "three misfits" who are together because why the fuck not and then did a weird but kind of awesome space arc, followed by the current arc dealing with the League of Assassins. It's been stupid fun at times and just sort of OK at others.

That said, it has had some really great fights. The new Chesire debuted in it and that whole issue was enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom