• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Repost of list from the old thread.

Green Arrow 23
Earth 2 15
Movement 4
Trillium 1
ToS Phantom Stranger 11
Red Sonja 1
Satellite Sam 1
Sidekick 1
Superior Foes of Spider-Man 2

Repost my list from July thread.

List!

Detective Comics #23
Dial H #15 Have to buy the last one.
Green Arrow #23
Green Lantern #23
Trillium #1
Phantom Stranger #11
Fatale #16
Sheltered #2
Superior Carnage #2
Superior Foes of Spiderman #2
Superior Spiderman #15
Kick-Ass #2

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
LTTP List Time

Click on the covers to see the preview.
I've been waiting on the Green Arrow preview.

That Green Arrow art is pretty delicious. Really looking forward to eventually reading Lemire's work on that... in, oh, 8 or 9 months. Damned DC.

Savitar

Paul Pope proposes new kids comic to DC, gets told they're audience is 45 year olds, Scooby Doo is for kids.

"Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do 'Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth]', this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said 'You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do 'Scooby-Doo.' And I thought, 'I guess we just broke up.'"

A lot of people appear to be breaking up with DC lately.

A lot of people appear to be breaking up with DC lately.

DC is so out-of-touch it kinda makes me just want to dump all the DC shit I read. Which is only a handful of books, but still.

I'm sure Image appreciates all the creators that DC is sending their way.

that doesn't sound recent but I have this problem with my kid
I hate when he fucking asks for Sonic comics and I also hate that the goddamn Sesame Street comic is 4 bucks

At least they aren't Simpsons comics. :p

I bought the Mr Burns comic that came out a month or so ago and holy shit was that a bad comic.

I'm glad I only have to buy comics for my greedy guts. I work in child care (daycare) though so I get to share selected comics (Superman Family Adventures, etc) with young children. So I guess I get the best of both worlds. Share the joy of comics with kids but then take them home because they're MINE MINE.

DC basically stands for "Dark knight Comics" to me. Ever since they went on the origin kick, errrrm, again for the thousandth time, I dropped Batman.

I usually keep a fairly tight pull list, but not having any DC on it is a bit unusual. At the same time, it's allowed me to check out plenty of Image stuff that is vastly superior to anything DC is putting out.

Right now it's firmly Marvel > Image >>>>>>>>> DC for me. I could actually see Image take over the top spot with some of the crazy stuff they have coming out in the near future.

ReiGun

This is always the worst news out of DC, friend at work asked what comics would be good for her 7 year old son. I couldn't even think of anything from DC, i said their are some pretty good spiderman kids books out there.

Yeah if you want kids comics for DC, nothing coming out now is gonna do it.

Vyer

Trinity War and Year Zero have both been good stories so far. Vibe, Talon, Supergirl and Aquaman have been pleasant surprises. Didio in charge is unfortunate at this point and Marvel still has more quality titles right now, but as long as there are DC books that are entertaining me that's all I ask. I've been reading comics for far too long to think that either well is completely dry at any point.

Tizoc

that doesn't sound recent but I have this problem with my kid
I hate when he fucking asks for Sonic comics and I also hate that the goddamn Sesame Street comic is 4 bucks

The Sonic comics are actually pretty good and fun.
So is the Megaman comic series.

ReiGun

Trinity War and Year Zero have both been good stories so far. Vibe, Talon, Supergirl and Aquaman have been pleasant surprises. Didio in charge is unfortunate at this point and Marvel still has more quality titles right now, but as long as there are DC books that are entertaining me that's all I ask. I've been reading comics for far too long to think that either well is completely dry at any point.

This is where I'm at too, of course. You see my list every week, and there's still quite a bit of DC on it (more than probably anyone else in the thread lol). That said, it's hard to deny they are just making as many awful decisions as they possibly can at the moment. Every other week there's a new PR cock up for them.

speedline

Banned
Trinity War has been good so far. Probably my first crossover event though.

Trinity War has been excellent, as many of Johns stories are.

I first started reading comics with the New 52 and Flashpoint. Geoff Johns gets a lot of hate on numerous forums and such, but I have found him to be my favorite writer *shrugs* Also, my favorite artists get hate as well so I guess I'm just a mainstream kind of guy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is it wrong that I want to make a thread about this on GAF?

He says it happened after he did his Batman story, which was 2006, so it's difficult to directly pin it as a specific reflection of current management and policy.

I'm sure a Kamandi series in any form, for any audience, isn't the easiest sell at DC headquarters now.

Pope's comments tie in pretty nicely with the intro I just read for Atomic Robo: Vol 6. Greg Rucka wrote about how he threw in the towel with corporate comics and more or less gave up even reading comics for a year, until someone suggested Robo to him, and he discovered comics could still be fun and lack resentment for the medium, and at least in this case, be perfectly enjoyable for all ages.

Tizoc

He says it happened after he did his Batman story, which was 2006, so it's difficult to directly pin it as a specific reflection of current management and policy.

I'm sure a Kamandi series in any form, for any audience, isn't the easiest sell at DC headquarters now.

Pope's comments tie in pretty nicely with the intro I just read for Atomic Robo: Vol 6. Greg Rucka wrote about how he threw in the towel with corporate comics and more or less gave up even reading comics for a year, until someone suggested Robo to him, and he discovered comics could still be fun and lack resentment for the medium, and at least in this case, be perfectly enjoyable for all ages.

Ah, I was unable to access the link at work, but thanks for clearing it up.
Glad to see Rucka read and enjoyed Atomic Robo though =D (What's his e-mail so I can suggest he read Transformers: Mtmte?)

4faaWS9.jpg

Congrats to them!

This is where I'm at too, of course. You see my list every week, and there's still quite a bit of DC on it (more than probably anyone else in the thread lol). That said, it's hard to deny they are just making as many awful decisions as they possibly can at the moment. Every other week there's a new PR cock up for them.

I don't know me and Grand Harrier may give you a run for the money there. I'm currently reading about 35 books a month from them. I'm very different from the rest of GAF though in that it seems I follow characters, and don't jump on and off books based on creative teams.

Like you said you have to admit they're making a ton of awful decisions lately, and even with that though some quality titles are being released.

I do think a lot of their fuck ups are easily fixed, though it would mean replacing DiDio are co-publisher and bringing in some one fresh. Personally I think it might benefit them to bring in some one from outside the comic world, though I wouldn't even know who to suggest right now.

No I don't think it should be Johns. I think he writes some amazing stories, and Trinity War is fanfuckingtastic right now. That said though, I think he far too often tries to recreate the DC comics of his childhood, and it's the wrong overall path IMHO. Which is again why I say they need to bring in some one from outside of comics. Some one who isn't going to try and turn the DC Universe into a recreation of their Childhood memories.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watching the Batman Takes Over rifftrax

holy shit at Batman living in the fucking suburbs. Wealthy playboy, and he's only got a 2 story house.

For kids, DC did Superman Family Adventures, which is great for young children and I'm glad it's being collected. And then there's the Li'l Gotham title. But, yeah, I don't think that the big two focus much on reaching out to young kids through comics anymore. But I see many DC and Marvel books for children of various ages and reading levels at the books store and I buy them to read to the kids I work with. Come to think of it, I think I see more kids DC books than Marvel books at the books store, but not by a wide margin.

Wouldnt be a monthy comic thread without some DC doom and gloom.

Aw, chin up. At some point they'll run out of boneheaded trip-ups. There'll just be none left!

Hell, the Paul Pope one was from 2006! That's a great sign, man! They must be out of ones from the current era!

Almost home free!!!

Aw, chin up. At some point they'll run out of boneheaded trip-ups. There'll just be none left!

Hell, the Paul Pope one was from 2006! That's a great sign, man! They must be out of ones from the current era!

Almost home free!!!

Just about the only positive way to look at it right now.

Dysun

Flashpoint Paradox movie was really good, although I wish Rosenbaum voiced Barry (even if he was Wally)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Flashpoint Paradox movie was really good, although I wish Rosenbaum voiced Barry (even if he was Wally)

I loved it aside from the goofiness of having Batdad, Grifter, and Sandman just shooting people to no avail for multiple scenes.

Everytime I get a comic with upside down pages I question if it was intentional or if my book was put together wrong. Trillium.

Needless to say, I've read ANX but I'll hold my thoughts for that since it's still super early.

Just wanted to say that it's sad reading about the DC stance for kids books. Years ago when I would get the Marvel Adventures line for my little cousins they'd eat that stuff up, and the stories were sometimes much more enjoyable than the regular books. "Kids books" can be an invaluable way to present not only superheroes, but comics to a whole generation, and the "restrictions" that a kids book would have can often lead to better superhero stories without the needless drama and wtf-level of graphic violence that some have.

Edit: Err, years ago? Okay then. Point still stands, kids books can be great.

ElNarez

Banned
THE VERDICT ON THE NEW ISSUE OF SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN IS IN: It's fucking excellent. Spencer still has not fucked it up. SAFE PICKUP.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That last page in this week's Avengers was hype as fuck. Infinity is going to be straight up insane.

Also Otto continues to drive that train off the rails in Superior Spider-Man. It's going to be a hell of a wreck when it finally crashes.

kswiston

That last page in this week's Avengers was hype as fuck. Infinity is going to be straight up insane.

Hickman's Avengers roster graphic at the beginning had 6 blank circles. This issue fills in 4 of those blanks. I wonder who the last two (the large outside circles?) will end up being.

Savitar

Jesus, is all this shit just DiDio? Is it a combination of DiDio/Lee? The top of DC seems like such a disaster.

EDIT: What the fuck, this is from years ago. That's what I get for not reading before I post.

This only came out at a con this past week I believe, it still pretty much addresses how DC works.

..."Kids books" can be an invaluable way to present not only superheroes, but comics to a whole generation, and the "restrictions" that a kids book would have can often lead to better superhero stories without the needless drama and wtf-level of graphic violence that some have.

Truth. I'd day I'm pretty big into all ages comics for this reason. When comic book writers are restricted from writing about violence and seedy adult themes it seems to lead to great things. Books like Cowboy and Mouse Guard and the GAF-favouite Atomic Robo are examples of this. After getting back into comics through horror (The Walking Dead) I tend to be moving more and more towards the other end of the spectrum. The good all-ages comics, which there seem to be many of these days, are funny and playful and focus on character and adventure. Most rated-teen superhero comics are trying so hard to be cool, shocking and action-oriented, which is boring to me a lot of the time. Of course, it helps the quality of all-ages comics that they usually aren't shackled to a commitment of 12+ single issue schedule per year.

All New X-Men was so good this week. I love lighthearted issues like this. I'm really worried that Battle of the Atom is going to mess up this "Status Quo" they've established because I really love the Young X-Men.

ReiGun

Congrats to them!

I don't know me and Grand Harrier may give you a run for the money there.
I thought about you, GH, and tim after I hit submit like "There's no way I'm reading more DC than those guys." However, it was late and I didn't feel like editing. lol

Needless to say, I've read ANX but I'll hold my thoughts for that since it's still super early.

Just wanted to say that it's sad reading about the DC stance for kids books. Years ago when I would get the Marvel Adventures line for my little cousins they'd eat that stuff up, and the stories were sometimes much more enjoyable than the regular books. "Kids books" can be an invaluable way to present not only superheroes, but comics to a whole generation, and the "restrictions" that a kids book would have can often lead to better superhero stories without the needless drama and wtf-level of graphic violence that some have.

After thinking about it, DC actually does release quite a few books that are fine for kids: most of the digital first stuff (save Ame-Comi and Injustice), Superman Family Advenures, Tiny Titans. Even the New 52, with all its dark and grits and violence, has books like Vibe and Flash that I wouldn't mind giving a child. They don't have a dedicated "kids line" but the content is there.

I thought about you, GH, and tim after I hit submit like "There's no way I'm reading more DC than those guys." However, it was late and I didn't feel like editing. lol

After thinking about it, DC actually does release quite a few books that are fine for kids: most of the digital first stuff (save Ame-Comi and Injustice), Superman Family Advenures, Tiny Titans. Even the New 52, with all its dark and grits and violence, has books like Vibe and Flash that I wouldn't mind giving a child. They don't have a dedicated "kids line" but the content is there.

Not to mention all the animated stuff they do. I watched Titans Go on CN amd it cracked me up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hickman's Avengers roster graphic at the beginning had 6 blank circles. This issue fills in 4 of those blanks. I wonder who the last two (the large outside circles?) will end up being.

Honestly,
considering who just joined up I have no goddamn idea who is next. For all we know it'll be Galactus and Thanos. That said it'd be pretty cool if Future Franklin and Valeria came back. The door is certainly open for Valeria to come back considering where Hickman left her and Franklin's a god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom