• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't I read that his "input" on Marvel movies these days is beyond minimal? I think, of course, there will always be the debt they owe to The Ultimates, but as far as him sitting in a room and dictating direction for Marvel movies, who knows, I just don't see it happening.

And that article was just, assuming way too much about KA2's future success.
Thats supposed to be for Fox brah.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Didn't I read that his "input" on Marvel movies these days is beyond minimal? I think, of course, there will always be the debt they owe to The Ultimates, but as far as him sitting in a room and dictating direction for Marvel movies, who knows, I just don't see it happening.

He's being paid by Fox to consult on all their Marvel stuff (X-Men, Fantastic Four).

I also meant that more and more of his books are being adapted. The Secret Service is happening next year, and a ton of stuff is in development.

He's being paid by Fox to consult on all their Marvel stuff (X-Men, Fantastic Four).

I also meant that more and more of his books are being adapted. The Secret Service is happening next year, and a ton of stuff is in development.
Its all about who you know and who you blow.

I read the first trade of Morning Glories and liked it.

Other stuff I read recently:

Hunter Killer (Mark Waid)
Bedlam
Joss Whedon's Fray
Iron Man Extremis

How'd I do?

And that article was just, assuming way too much about KA2's future success.

Millar: "And right here when Hulk catches up to Black Window, he starts tearing her clothes off and..."

Blader

Avengers 17 issue of glacial Hickman has been pretty naff with his Gary Stu All Original Line Up worfing everyone else for the whole run. Might have to drop it if Infinity isn't the Hottest Shit. In comparison, New Avengers seems like the comic he wants to write.

Basically my feelings on it too. I'm sure Spencer is to blame somehow.

Vyer

This is the first issue of phantom stranger I've read and it was damn good. Might have to look into back issues. Just about everything involved with Trinity War has been solid.

GL was a little better this month, but...eh. Still not very interested. Sadly may have to consider dropping soon.

Spidey and ANXM are feeling like both titles are just spinning their wheels. Not having Thor, Cap or WatXM to read really emphasized how much less I enjoy those two.

I would have added Avengers to that 'spinning wheels' list but we got so e progress this issue. Hopefully Infinity turns out well.

Superior Spider-Man - I'm still with this series.
It seems like the Green Goblin stuff is going to be put on hold until next year. I also like that Phil Urich is on the ropes finally, should be an interesting issue coming up.

All-New X-Men - Besides the good times
of past Cyclops and Iceman (Which reminded me of the times of Ultimate Spider-Man when Peter, Johnny and Bobby hung out) :'( What the heck is Jean doing!
So fun series continues the fun.

Avengers - Ready for Infinity finally. This Prelude wasn't so bad, Hickman did all that setup of "Three" in his FF run and I feel he may have over-accomplished that here. Just bring on Infinity already.

frye

I dug both issues of Satellite Sam a lot. Just some dope, low-key comics that feel like something both dudes want to do.

But im a DC fan and I like the characters. I dont hate on DC like most the people here. From what I have read, I like the product they are putting out.

yea I'm trying to pick the ones from books I'm getting, like the Ventriloquist Batman one seems like the Batgirl of the month but some of them are hard to tell. I feel like I need to see them first to make sure and I'm not sure if they're putting the ones I checked off and the ones on my pull list in my box or if I'm going to not get whatevers on my pulls I get because I didn't check it..such a damned hassle lol

I'm think about picking up something light-hearted and this thread made me come across Atomic Robo. Is it worth picking up?

But im a DC fan and I like the characters. I dont hate on DC like most the people here. From what I have read, I like the product they are putting out.

Just because you dig DCs stuff doesn't mean people who don't deserve to be characterized as mindless "haters" as if they don't give DC books a shot month after month after month after month after month.

People can like what they want to like. I wouldn't call you a fanboy (or what, lol, a "liker"? A "reader"?) because you like DC books.

Courtesy: It's America

Groof

Loved ANXM #15. Good clean fun to contrast what has been going on up til now.
But I do have a question about that Battle of the Atom thing, do you guys think it'll be worth following or should I just wait it out and pick up AMXM #18 after it's done?

How have you guys read all your comics already? Weren't you at work earning your comics money? I'm just on my way to pick mine up now.

Don't feel bad I don't usually get to most of mine till the weekend when I have some actual free time.

This is the first issue of phantom stranger I've read and it was damn good. Might have to look into back issues. Just about everything involved with Trinity War has been solid.

Phantom Stranger has been a weird mixed bag. The Trinity War connected issues have been good, the stuff before that though I thought was hugely hit or miss.

Superior Spider-Man - I'm still with this series.
It seems like the Green Goblin stuff is going to be put on hold until next year. I also like that Phil Urich is on the ropes finally, should be an interesting issue coming up.

All-New X-Men - Besides the good times
of past Cyclops and Iceman (Which reminded me of the times of Ultimate Spider-Man when Peter, Johnny and Bobby hung out) :'( What the heck is Jean doing!
So fun series continues the fun.

Avengers - Ready for Infinity finally. This Prelude wasn't so bad, Hickman did all that setup of "Three" in his FF run and I feel he may have over-accomplished that here. Just bring on Infinity already.

I love superior spider man. best comic i've read in years. and yeah- Urich has it coming. Loved the return of Stone as well. And spock
just flat out not giving a fuck and exposing urich's identity to everyone in times square
was hilariously awesome. He's royally screwed and there's no way out of it.

As for jean- she's what..13 or 14? behaving exactly as a 13 or 14 year old girl would if she landed in the future and found
her wedding and alternate future children (don't forget THAT part of the book)
already planned out for her. she's rebelling in any way she possibly can.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So who/what is on the cover of Avengers #17?

Yeah, was that a female version on Ex Nihilo?

Was actually thinking as I read it last night, I'm really impressed with how Hickman has handled this 17 issue prologue, especially wrt Ex Nihilo and co. Starts off with them being 'bad guys' and kicking off the whole problem and now they're part of the team, very neat. Ex Nihilo is a terrifying character, we have no idea what his motivations are at all.

I kinda want to re-read the whole series as it is now but I dount I have time. I enjoy the languid pacing of it though.

Just because you dig DCs stuff doesn't mean people who don't deserve to be characterized as mindless "haters" as if they don't give DC books a shot month after month after month after month after month.

People can like what they want to like. I wouldn't call you a fanboy (or what, lol, a "liker"? A "reader"?) because you like DC books.

Courtesy: It's America

First I didnt generalize. There is plenty of evidence of it. Ive been coming to these threads since April and first people were dissing Trinity War. Then there was the Zero Year hate. Now we have villians month and Forever Evil.

If I apoligize for anything in my post it is the word "most." I should rephrase that to vocal minority, which we all know on GAF, sometimes looks like the majority. The point im trying to make is why put down something that you dont try "month after month after month?" If you dont try it fine, I respect that. I dont talk about the [fanboy]15 different Avengers and Xmen[fanboy] books because I dont try them. If you dont try it, there is no authority to tell someone not to buy something or to tell someone it sucks or going to suck.

I repsect anything you reply with but im done. Comics are supposed to be fun.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
First I didnt generalize. There is plenty of evidence of it. Ive been coming to these threads since April and first people were dissing Trinity War. Then there was the Zero Year hate. Now we have villians month and Forever Evil.

If I apoligize for anything in my post it is the word "most." I should rephrase that to vocal minority, which we all know on GAF, sometimes looks like the majority. The point im trying to make is why put down something that you dont try "month after month after month?" If you dont try it fine, I respect that. I dont talk about the [fanboy]15 different Avengers and Xmen[fanboy] books because I dont try them. If you dont try it, there is no authority to tell someone not to buy something or to tell someone it sucks or going to suck.

I repsect anything you reply with but im done. Comics are supposed to be fun.

Indeed, comics are supposed to be fun. What's up with that, DC?

The problem with DC as I see it right now is that they have a very restrictive house style that books are adhering to in a way that simply wasn't happening even five years ago. The upshot of this is that they're making a lot of middling books, gritty and dark with first person narration by the main character, long long long arcs that don't seem to go anywhere (fuck you Animal Man, you could have been SO GOOD). What we're getting is pretty boilerplate superhero stuff, stretched out paper thin, and none of them have a very strong authorial voice because they're all just being 'DC Books'. There are a few exceptions of course, Batman and Trinity War being cheif among them. But for the most part, a lot of their books are feeling utterly forgettable, and at worst they're just really boring.

And this is coming from me, I used to buy 30 or so DC books every month. Now just 3.

It's not haters, it's readers with a legitimate criticism of how DC editorial is steering the ship this past couple of years. By contrast, the stuff over at Marvel is incredibly ambitious, diverse and fun. We're talking about the 15 different X and Avengers books because those books are FUCKING EXCELLENT right now, not because we're fanboys.

Does this thread already need to devolve into a Marvel vs DC one?

Read and talk about what you enjoy.

All I've managed to read so far this week is Earth 2, and it was damn good.

tim1138

All I've getting so far this week is the Animal Man omni. Another order from Amazon and not a ding or dent to be seen on the book. Seriously, enough of the Marvel vs DC garbage that stuff gets so old in these threads.

All I've getting so far this week is the Animal Man omni. Another order from Amazon and not a ding or dent to be seen on the book.

That's good to see they're improving. I order a few trades from them last year I think that I had to get resent a few times. The one came so mangled and ripped it was pretty much unreadable.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So I just read the last issue of Dial H.

I have no idea what just happened.

I gotta pop out and grab the book during my lunchbreak but I'm seriously excited.

I seriously hope they release a deluxe Dial H because I think it'll be revered down the line.

tim1138

That's good to see they're improving. I order a few trades from them last year I think that I had to get resent a few times. The one came so mangled and ripped it was pretty much unreadable.

My experience with them is clearly the exception. Like I said in the last thread, I chalk it up to living close to two of their warehouses. My stuff makes fewer stops getting here and there's less opportunity for it to get messed up.

That is not how I read it.
I'm quite sure that it simply a reminder that it is not easy for ANXM#15
Jean to live with the fact that she grew up loving a man that now is hated by his peers and may have murderer her creepy lusting mantipulative -not-quite fatherfigure. But is it no confirmed that everyone of the X-men but Bobby wanted to be with Jean? Angle, Beast, Xavier and Scott wer all lusting after her...

Jean Gray hasn't been a character in a long time. She's a plot device. Jean Grey is basically: Phoenix shit and character conflict due to every character being in love with her.

kswiston

Comics GAF shits on most comic events before they are released because most comic events are terrible and ruin the flow of the stories we were buying the books for in the first place. It's not specifically a DC thing. However, with Marvel Now still less than a year old, there have been fewer Marvel events/crossovers to complain about in the recent past compared to DC.

Infinity seems to be a pretty natural extension of what has been going on in the Hickman Avengers book so I suppose that is mostly getting a pass from early criticism (much like Blackest Night did a few years back). However, plenty of people voiced their apprehension/complaints about Age of Ultron and Battle of the Atom before either were released. If an event ends up being good (like Trinity War has been so far), most posters have no issues with admitting they were wrong in their pre-judgement.

Also, I think that there has been less DC talk in general since Grandharrier went and got himself banned. There are 4-5 DC guys in here who read a good chunk of their line, but a lot of us are just reading a couple Batman titles and JLA/Justice League. In weeks where those come out, there is discussion.

Jean Gray hasn't been a character in a long time. She's a plot device. Jean Grey is basically: Phoenix shit and character conflict due to every character being in love with her.

True that, but ANXM does a LOT to redeem this and it shows that the concept of the character has a place with the X-men, but her use was subpar at best for a very long time.

But when it comes to X-Women I'm a a Frost and Rasputin fan.

Yeah, all my trades from Amazon come in perfect condition.

Impressions!

Dial (WTF) H - See the book started off like this, hard to read, hard to follow. Then somewhere Mieville got into a groove and it was good. Then the book got cancelled and I think he lost the groove and it went back to being weird x1000. I see some people like it but my brain cant comprehend it. I read the words and my brain does not process them or something. I find myself wandering off to other thoughts many times while reading and having to remind myself to consentrate on the panels and try to piece together whats going on. I never do though.

Detective Comics #23 wad a solid issue. It continues to have amazing art. Aslong as they dont drag on the build up, this arc has alot of promise.

Superior Carnage #2 was fun again. I know this is a short series so im imagining that they will tie the Superior Carnage into Superior Spiderman somehow. Or I could be wrong and it will end with the last issue. The art is astounding.

Phantom Stranger #11 was really cool. I like how they explained heaven and hell and everything inbetween. I like how it tied into Trinity War. I dont know if its something I would want to read outisde of Trinity War though.

I really AM NOT into the whole "zombie apocalypse" genre that invaded comics, despite having read WWZ and the Zombie Survival Guide; but, Afterlife With Archie is too insane an idea to pass up, plus Francavilla is drawing that motha. :D

ALWArchie-1-3e337.jpg
ALWArchie-1Pepvar-f37ae.jpg
ALWArchie-1var-53976.jpg

ALWArchie-1FFvar-5b2be.jpg
afterlife-archie-page1-c95dc.jpg
afterlife-archie-page2-f07ff.jpg

afterlife-archie-page3-cc691.jpg
Also, on this week's "DC vs Marvel" debate... In the couple of years leading up to the reboot, there were a lot of books I was buying that, looking back on the material, was just a case of me "going through the motions" and buying out of brand or character loyalty, instead of actual enjoyment. The New52 provided the "big breakup" shove that I needed to get out of that habitual buying tendency; at the same time, however, it unfortunately claimed more than a few books I was enjoying in the process. And yet; with a few exceptions in developments regarding certain characters, I'm now by and large so far removed from the minutiae of New52 continuity progression that most things no longer concern or bother me. And the things that do concern or bother me, I have absolutely no control over and never will. Time and absence have, for the most part, done their work, and it certainly doesn't hurt that Marvel is currently undergoing a talent revival the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. So when I do decide to express a vocal criticism of DC on this board, the targets of my ire are -- admittedly, not always, but I do try -- are generally limited to their business practices, treatment of talent, or broad creative decisions, rather than any actual story content. And should my negativity involve the latter in some cases, know that it is largely superficial, of the "that looks dumb" variety of surface criticism that comes from an outsider, who used to be an insider, looking through the window as he passes by.

(And since I'm being honest: there are some Marvel NOW! books I buy that are also "going through the motions." Expect that to change.)

EDIT: Wolverine and the X-Men is not one of those books. Why? Because this.

Full Preview (CBR)

Owzers

It's not really DC vs Marvel as it is " who's turn is it to be terrible".

Edit: And that's not even saying DC is terrible terrible, but i dislike a lot of what is currently going on

Mxrz

Been too busy the last couple of months to pick up the New Avenger stuff. Think I left off around #3. Is it still going? Anything interesting happen? I was mostly reading it for Namor-ness, but it was getting interesting.

Dysun

Comics GAF shits on most comic events before they are released because most comic events are terrible and ruin the flow of the stories we were buying the books for in the first place. It's not specifically a DC thing. However, with Marvel Now still less than a year old, there have been fewer Marvel events/crossovers to complain about in the recent past compared to DC.

Infinity seems to be a pretty natural extension of what has been going on in the Hickman Avengers book so I suppose that is mostly getting a pass from early criticism (much like Blackest Night did a few years back). However, plenty of people voiced their apprehension/complaints about Age of Ultron and Battle of the Atom before either were released. If an event ends up being good (like Trinity War has been so far), most posters have no issues with admitting they were wrong in their pre-judgement.

Also, I think that there has been less DC talk in general since Grandharrier went and got himself banned. There are 4-5 DC guys in here who read a good chunk of their line, but a lot of us are just reading a couple Batman titles and JLA/Justice League. In weeks where those come out, there is discussion.
I was wondering why I hadn't read anything about the Legion, or fury about it being banished into some dark corner in awhile.

Burn The Orphanage #1 was my favorite book this week. Although I don't know how well it'll work for people not "in on the joke" on 90s beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage or Final Fight.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Everyone was phone.

This joke didn't get enough love, so I'm just gonna say it's brilliant.

I just got through Dial H 15 and holy fuckballs. I can see some of the language being tough to parse because Mieville built an entire fucking universe based around these dials, but I think some close reading makes the book super rewarding (and fucking fun).

Also, there's still one more issue, with 20 different artists working on it apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom