• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Dreamworks purchased a bunch of Classic's shit. Not sure if Turok was one of them.

DreamWorks Animation bought Classic Media entirely and renamed it DreamWorks Classics, so unless there are some further legal complications with the IP, it's sitting in DWA's drawers now.

Before Lemire announces another book he's working on, he needs to announce that he's leaving Animal Man and handing it over to someone who gives a shit.

He's on it through at least #29.

The "The US Government Is Building Their OWN Superman!!" is older than dirt. I was hyped for it after Sims' Snyderview but yeah. Lame as they come.

I think there is more to it than there seems. People have a tendency to initially doubt Snyder, then come on board once they see where it is going. Maybe that isn't the case here? Don't know. But we'll see.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think there is more to it than there seems. People have a tendency to initially doubt Snyder, then come on board once they see where it is going. Maybe that isn't the case here? Don't know. But we'll see.

I think this is going to be more complicated than we think, there's still the Ascension, Lois, and Luthor, plotlines. And seeing how Snyder likes to bring everything together, I doubt we've seen where this is winding up yet.

tim1138

From Newsarama's Trinity War Weekly (http://www.newsarama.com/18737-trin...g-of-the-crime-syndicate-of-america-more.html)

Nrama: Now that we know the true villains behind the scenes, are there clues about the CSA that we should notice from the Justice League titles?

Cunningham: There are definitely clues. And just because the Crime Syndicate has been revealed does not mean that there are no surprises to be found within "Trinity War." We've intentionally withheld some of those. Like, who is the traitor among the three Leagues? I still hold firm that that particular reveal is one of the coolest and grossest moments we'll ever see in a comic book without an advisory label. Ivan Reis knocked himself out drawing that scene, believe me.

Did anyone else read Flashpoint Legion of Doom and remember
Plastic Man's
introduction into that series?

Vyer

Anybody else find Superman Unchained very underwhelming so far? So there's
another Superman like being the government has been using for over 70 years and only now Superman finds out?
C'mon. Also the plot in general comes over as very standard and not something on Snyder's Batman level at all, hope it gets better before the book gets delayed like every other Lee book.

I agree, though I found
Lane's hate speech to Superman
interesting and I'd like to see where they are going with it.

Man Batman and Nightwing really kind of hits you.

Also, New Guardians 23 is the first time I've been interested in any of this Relic stuff. Might actually try a few more chapters. Good issue.

Avengers was really kind of bland. I keep teetering on how much I actually care about Infinity.
So far I'm thinking Infinity will be a damn incredible read when you can read all the stuff at once.

Bii

Man, I hope you're right.

9572950890_8a00ca2a00_o.jpg

My 8/21/13 comic haul:
Avengers #18 (Infinity Tie-In). Infinity #1 last week has me pretty pumped for this event. I was going to wait on impressions on the tie-in issues but couldn't help myself when I got to my LCS.
Avengers Assemble #18 (Infinity Tie-In). Whew, I grabbed the last copy on the shelf. I think someone was eyeing it too because the guy came over and asked me what I had taken.
Daredevil #30. I'm a few issues behind but I should catch up by this weekend.
Fables #132. I've been trade-waiting on Fables but figure I should catch up on the monthlies since the next trade won't be released until December 2013. :(
Superman Unchained #3. The first two issues were okay. This book hasn't really wowed me yet but I'm holding out and hope it turns around before I drop it.

Looks like I forgot to pick up Thunderbolts #14 (Infinity Tie-In), though. :/

tim1138

I should be reading Trinity War, shouldn't I?

The small group of us who actively read DC stuff and are reading Trinity War are all (seemingly) really enjoying it. It's much more of a mystery story than it is a Civil War/AvsX hero v hero action beat'em story. I like it a lot and am super hyped for Forever Evil, but your mileage may vary.

Man, I hope you're right.

9572950890_8a00ca2a00_o.jpg

My 8/21/13 comic haul:
Avengers #18 (Infinity Tie-In). Infinity #1 last week has me pretty pumped for this event. I was going to wait on impressions on the tie-in issues but couldn't help myself when I got to my LCS.
Avengers Assemble #18 (Infinity Tie-In). Whew, I grabbed the last copy on the shelf. I think someone was eyeing it too because the guy came over and asked me what I had taken.
Daredevil #30. I'm a few issues behind but I should catch up by this weekend.
Fables #132. I've been trade-waiting on Fables but figure I should catch up on the monthlies since the next trade won't be released until December 2013. :(
Superman Unchained #3. The first two issues were okay. This book hasn't really wowed me yet but I'm holding out and hope it turns around before I drop it.

Looks like I forgot to pick up Thunderbolts #14 (Infinity Tie-In), though. :/

You can skip that Thunderbolts issue. Whoo! Stinky!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The small group of us who actively read DC stuff and are reading Trinity War are all (seemingly) really enjoying it. It's much more of a mystery story than it is a Civil War/AvsX hero v hero action beat'em story. I like it a lot and am super hyped for Forever Evil, but your mileage may vary.

I'mma get on it. I kinda of just let it fall by the wayside because I stopped picking up JL Dark, which I really enjoyed, and Justice League, which I thought was terrible. Also, Forever Evil sounds awesome, so I think Trinity may be perfect for me.

tim1138

I'mma get on it. I kinda of just let it fall by the wayside because I stopped picking up JL Dark, which I really enjoyed, and Justice League, which I thought was terrible. Also, Forever Evil sounds awesome, so I think Trinity may be perfect for me.

If nothing else, it's beautiful to look at-Reis, Mahnke, and Janin all brought their A game.

Owzers

i'm waiting for the issues to drop $1 on comixology and pre-ordering Forever Evil, i do regret not buying it monthly but i was annoyed that JLD was 3.99 and didn't offer a combo pack, threw off my buying habits.

If nothing else, it's beautiful to look at-Reis, Mahnke, and Janin all brought their A game.

Indeed. It is a great looking storyline and it reads well, even if it is a bit padded.
(I was a bit to harsh on part 5 yesterday, because it did not move the story forward fast enough - I dread forever evil and the 1 issue a month releases...)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of dirty to market Thunderbolts as an Infinity tie-in. There is exactly one entirely inconsequential generic panel at the end.

tim1138

Indeed. It is a great looking storyline and it reads well, even if it is a bit padded.
(I was a bit to harsh on part 5 yesterday, because it did not move the story forward fast enough - I dread forever evil and the 1 issue a month releases...)

Going back to a monthly release schedule for Forever Evil is going to be excruciating. It has been so great having Trinity War span 6 issues but only two months.

Went to the LCS to pick up Red Hood and the Outlaws vol 1 and they didnt have it so I walked out with vol 1 of Batman and Robin. Batman and Catwoman and Batman and Nightwing made me a fan.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Awesome, thanks!

After looking around a bit, it seems that Comoxology is the place to read them digitally, but too bad they cost 2.99. I might as well just track down print versions.

They have Valiant 99-cent sales every few weeks. It's usually a rebooted series (all but the newest issue or two) and the original. The last one was new Shadowman and old Shadowman. Sometimes it's the whole line, but the last time that happened was the holidays.
I signed up for Comixology in early April and the only thing that hasn't been a buck since then is new Archer and Armstrong.

Bought all the Madman stuff that was for sale on Comixology. I spent like 50 bucks between this and the Gen. X stuff, I should cool it for a bit. Luckily the new sale is just Brubaker Marvel stuff that i mostly already have

Owzers

It's hard to be surprised by casting decisions anymore, especially when it comes to superhero movies. Who else you got hollywood, throw em at me. As i said in the main thread:

Dane Cook as the Joker. Do it. I dare you.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh boy, Ben Affleck's even infected Comics-GAF. As I said in the other thread, I think he'll be pretty good, it's the writing team people should be focusing on.

Anyways, I can't wait for Cap #10, shit's going to be off the chain like Steve's mental state. I really hope Remender does more villain flashbacks like he did for Zola, that was one of the coolest surprises of the series. I'd love to see more of the Zemos' royal life or
von Strucker in his prime before the war. And I'd love it Cap if and Sharon are done, time for him to get a fellow "powered" hero again this time (Scarlet Witch Rick, do you hear me?).

frye

I'm at a point where my adoration of Uncanny Avengers is probably way disproportional to its actual merits as a comic book right now, goddamn. Clunkiness and all, this is My Jam

A snippet from Jeff Lemire on Green Arrow (and his other books);

I'm going to start incorporating elements and characters from the show into the DCU. Obviously, it won't be the same story lines. It'll be the same versions of those characters, but people like Diggle will appear now in the New 52. Moira Queen will be coming in, Tommy Merlyn and we're also doing our first big mystery of what happened on the island storyline after "Zero Year," which will have some parallels to what they did on the show, but have its own mysteries and its own revelations.

As someone who has been enjoying "Arrow", I'm actually pleased by some of these choices. Particularly Diggle. He has been a great character.

Uncanny Avengers just the most verbose goddamn thing with about a hundred plots and love triangles happening at the same time, but it's that very same quality that reminds me of Claremont's X-Men so it pushes all my buttons that I can't help but dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom