• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Was there ever a reason given for why Rogue couldn't control her powers? I never understood that about her.

...anything she touched/ came into contact with she would absorb. her power was based on contact...what? I think they've given her control because she just kept getting more and more popular and people wanted her to be able to connect with someone...it was like 15 + years of blue balls with her and it wasnt gonna get any more anticipatory or any more unfortunate so why not. In the end she was still great without that part of her character.

New Lobo design up...for his new 52 book...yeah thats like a slim version of his LEGION days...damn.

http://www.newsarama.com/18756-dc-reveals-new-look-for-lobo-s-first-new-52-appearance-in-what-s-new.html

its enough of a departure that he could..really just be a new character IMHO.

look i don't always mind younger redesigns but that's just weird and doesn't make sense. If you're gonna try to appeal to young adults or whatever, why do it with Lobo? Hell, why is it even Lobo?

That site of theirs has long since stopped actually meaning anything. These days anything that DC does goes up on that thing. And really? Over a character redesign? Lol, OK.

They should stop doing stupid things then

Owzers

I'm going to throw up right now, Fox News talking face is making the case why Batman is a republican, a rich white guy doing good, not a sexually confused leaker of government secrets.

ElNarez

Banned
The things that get labeled as "stupid" are oft times questionable at best. Firing and rehiring Gail Simone? Sure, I agree with that. Redesigning a characters appearance? Really? Really?

Yeah, plus that's a fine character design. People hating on it are fucking babies. Also, I completely trust Marguerite Bennet after her "Yeah Arkham is actually completely fucked up for a place that's supposed to be about healing people it's actually not doing shit and in some ways it's doing more harm than good" Batman Annual. THIS GETS MY FUCKING VOTE, FUCK YOU HATERS.

frye

Yeah, it's an amusing idea but the outhousers are complete unfunny shits.

I'm wondering if I should drop X-men while Battle of the Atom takes place. Will the story make sense or matter to me if I don't read the other BotA tie-ins? Or will the X-Men issues deal primarily with the characters usually featured in the book and be relatively self-contianed? I haven't followed an event before so I don't know how it usually looks. I don't want to read the tie-ins and I'd opt out all together but now I'm concerned that when I come back for issue #7 the characters and their relationships will have shifted and I won't get the context.

I'd consider following the whole thing but I've read a few ANXM books and I really don't like the writing.

It looks like it's done in the style of Messiah Complex and Second Coming, i.e. it's all one big story. They aren't really tie-ins since all the parts should be essential.

The things that get labeled as "stupid" are oft times questionable at best. Firing and rehiring Gail Simone? Sure, I agree with that. Redesigning a characters appearance? Really? Really?

On its own it's a fine design but i don't get why it's Lobo, and i'm of the opinion that DmC Dante is better than the old Dante. It almost makes me less interested in the Lobo book, but i wasn't really interested anyway so it's all whatever anyway.

So in 24 hours DC announced:

-Lobo is an imposter, the REAL lobo is from planet squaresoft
-Lemiers new book is Justice League of Canada
-Ben Affleck is Batman in the new Cinematic universe

DC GONE WILD y'all

Avengers #18 was great. I think I'm going to enjoy this event a lot.

X-Men #4 was a feel-good issue. It's weird reading a comic where Wolverine is smiling in almost every panel though.

I'm enjoying the new art in Thunderbolts, I'm probably back on this series.

X-O Manowar doesn't feel like it went anywhere this week. Felt like a dud issue.

Daredevil was great as always.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
..the previous run hell yes ...like 619 - 644 i think...maybe its in TPB by now.

All right, thanks!

This looks to be the series I am reading/catching up on that are recent:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy
2) Thanos Rising
3) Journey into Mystery
4) Saga
5) Batman '66
6) Batman: Zero Year

Also, I'm trying to read and/or buy when I have time:
1) Annihilation Wave
2) Annihilation Conquest
3) Realm of Kings
4) War of Kings
5) Morning Glories
6) Invincible
7) Nova v 3-6
8) X-Men: Mutant Massacre

A local comic shop ran another free comic book day, and with that, I got Morbius the Living Vampire Marvel Now #2 & #3. Is this series worth diving into? If so, I may pick up #1.

Get some discussion in here get to know some of ComicGAF.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

3. Favorite past comic series or arc?

4. Most prized comic possesion. Art, comic, toy, etc?

1. Batman - even though im new to comics ive always love the Dark Knight. Love the detective aspect, the code he lives by, how he questions his own sanity and love the gadgets, cars, and of course the costume.

2. 1. Batman (Snyder) See above.
2. Green Arrow (Lemire/Sorrentino)- How quickly this has shot up to my most anticipated comics of the month. Lemires writing with Sorrentinos mind blowing art make this a top notch book.
3. Superior Spiderman - My 2nd favorite superhero with a twist. Love this new take on Spidey. Cool to see how "Superior" Spidey could be.

3. Kinda hard for me since im new but I would say The Long Halloween. Just about the perfect Bat story.

4. Most prized comic possesion would be my New Teen Titans #2. Jan 1980. What got me into comics was Deathstroke from Injustice so I wanted something to remember that by.

1. Favorite Superhero?

This is a really hard question for me but I guess a 3 way tie between Flash, Green Lantern, and Spider-Man

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

All-New X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, and Justice League

Giffen and Dematties's Justice League International

Most of the JLI run in tpbs, a signed copy of Aztek #1 alot of mint condition first issues from legendary comic runs like Morrison's Batman and all star superman, John's GL, and the complete run of Seven Soldiers

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

i've only read comics for like 2 years at this point and never a whole lot at a time, so keep in mind

1. spider-man's cool
2. Daredevil, Hawkeye, uhhh Scarlet Spider
3. Scott Pilgrim
4. hmmmm, I've got the OOP first New Teen Titans omni signed by Wolfman & Perez

tim1138

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Green Lantern
2. Astro City, Aquaman, Vibe
3. Kirby's Fourth World
4. Two original pages from Green Lantern Lantern New Guardians by Tyler Kirkham

kswiston

1. Favorite Superhero? Thinking of the range of stories that I have enjoyed for each character, I would probably have to say Batman or Daredevil. Captain America ranks pretty high as well.

2. Top 3 ongoing comics. Manhattan Projects, Hawkeye, Saga. There are a few others that are up there.

3. Favorite past comic series or arc? Probably Gaiman's Sandman

4. Most prized comic possesion. Art, comic, toy, etc? Nothing Really. I have never been much for the collection side of the hobby.

Nudull

Banned

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. I'm torn between Batwoman, Spider-Man and Captain Marvel (Shazam), currently. XD

2.1. Saga - I went into this book blindly, and it became everything I could want out of a good comic and then some. Helps that one of my favorite writers (who I am eternally grateful to for the Runaways) is behind it.
2. Batwoman - I've started getting into Kate Kane with Elegy, and from there, I was hooked, and it's only gotten better with the New 52 series. I especially love how it continues to distance itself from the Batfamily drama and lets Kate live her own life, which makes it all the more appealing to me.
3. X-Men - Dream team idea come true? Check. Jubilee and Storm? Check. Coipel's lovely art in the opening arc? Yep. I honestly was worried about this at first because of how dull the Star Wars ongoing turned out, but Brian Wood has impressed me a lot with this book, and it hope it keeps up with the quality.

And an honorable mention to Adventure Time, the best children's comic out right now. :3

3. Runaways by Brian K. Vaughn

4. My Marceline & The Scream Queens #1 variant by Ming Doyle, it was from my first time buying comics from one of my LCS's.

Acid08

Banned

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Spider-Man. Spectacular, Amazing, Superior, Astonishing, Ultimate.

2. Chew, Saga, Manhattan Projects

3. Invincible. It's still ongoing but it's my favorite complete series even if I don't like it as much more as I used to.

4. Chog toy.

1. Favorite Superhero?Daredevil and Captain Marvel (Shazam)

2. Top 3 ongoing comics. This one was horribly hard, so many runner ups. Uncanny Avengers, Daredevil and Transformers: More than meets the eye. And Chew.

3. Favorite past comic series or arc? Gillen's Journey into Mystery and Bendis' DD

4. Most prized comic possesion. Art, comic, toy, etc? I really like my Beta Ray Bill action figure.

1. Favorite Superhero?

Spider-Man. Simply the best.

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

Daredevil, Thor: God of Thunder, and GØDLAND(the finale's coming out soon, I'm counting it)

Either Morrison/Case Doom Patrol or Ennis/Mccrea Hitman. Woot, the 90s

4. Most prized comic possession. Art, comic, toy, etc?

If my house was on fire and I only had time to grab one thing, it would be Kill Your Boyfriend, by Grant Morrison and Philip Bond

1. Favorite Superhero?
2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Spider-Man of course.
2. Batman, Hawkeye and Uncanny Avengers
3. Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
4. Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (2000), my first issue that got me into reading comics.

Owzers

Barnes and Nobles is offering a $20 gift card with purchase of a nook, if you've been wanting a tablet for comics reading, it's a good idea. Could go cheaper still though, who knowwwwws.

Nudull

Banned
Barnes and Nobles is offering a $20 gift card with purchase of a nook, if you've been wanting a tablet for comics reading, it's a good idea. Could go cheaper still though, who knowwwwws.

I've thought of getting a nook before, and it's really getting more attractive now that I can use Comixology and the other apps with it. :eek:

Calcium

Banned
Hey ComicGAF, I just recently got back into comics. I read Spider-Man and X-Men sporadically when I was a kid and haven't picked up a comic since around high school. I bought the hardcover trades of all the current X-Men titles and so far I'm really enjoying them. I bought Schism and every X-book ongoing series released from that point. I've actually had to read with a Marvel wiki on hand because I don't know who a lot of the characters are or why they've changed so drastically.

I have two questions for any X-Men fans out there - is there an omnibus for X-Men that is considered mandatory reading? I only have the cash to get one or two so I want to make the right choices.

And what's with the Avengers being so prominent in these books? Maybe I'm just not remembering, but I don't recall non X-Men characters being involved that much back when I read them. It's interesting to see the two factions interact, but I admit there is a "Hey, what the hell is he doing here?" reaction every time I see an Avenger.

ReiGun

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Spider-Man. I wrote about him and my other favorites on my blog.

2. Thor: God of Thunder, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman

3. Hmm...Either Batman: Year One, or Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E

4. I have a ton of cool commissions from NYCC that I'm just waiting to hang up. My favorite is this Steph Batgirl by Kristen Foxy Allen.

302450_10150323730981487_1308875788_n.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone have an opinion of the the current morbius run?

Dropped it when he got caught in a gang war. A complete waste, he should be fighting monsters and teaming up with Blade and Doc Strange. It should have been an opportunity to explore the supernatural and fight Cthulhu monsters and everything that goes bump in the night. He should be getting people out of deals with the devil, that Deadpool arc should have been a Morbius one. Instead he gets caught in a regular-ass gang war.

Vibranium

Banned
I just got a pre-new 52 of Batman trades from my library (like Scarecrow and Two Face Year One) and read through them, pretty good in some spots. I just have to say that sandy-haired Jim Gordon rocks, none of the old white-haired fat Gordon we used to have (it's pretty tough for me to see him like that in The Killing Joke). If they want to age him in New-52, just do salt-and pepper hair like Gary Oldman in TDKR.

Can't wait to read all the good books when I wake up.

Hobobloke

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. I'll join the legions of people saying Spider-Man.

2. Cap, Saga, and Hawkeye (it hurt to exclude Thor).

3. Only recently got into comics so don't have much to pull from but Planet Hulk.

4. Might be stretching it a bit but my copy of Marvel vs Capcom 3.

multivac

Does anyone know how Comixology handles trades/collected editions? I assume it's treated as one big issue instead of the multiple issues that comprise it? Cause that would really irk my desire to keep everything looking nice if I have "Collection 1" and then "Issues 6-20" on my Series list

hamchan

Hey ComicGAF, I just recently got back into comics. I read Spider-Man and X-Men sporadically when I was a kid and haven't picked up a comic since around high school. I bought the hardcover trades of all the current X-Men titles and so far I'm really enjoying them. I bought Schism and every X-book ongoing series released from that point. I've actually had to read with a Marvel wiki on hand because I don't know who a lot of the characters are or why they've changed so drastically.

I have two questions for any X-Men fans out there - is there an omnibus for X-Men that is considered mandatory reading? I only have the cash to get one or two so I want to make the right choices.

And what's with the Avengers being so prominent in these books? Maybe I'm just not remembering, but I don't recall non X-Men characters being involved that much back when I read them. It's interesting to see the two factions interact, but I admit there is a "Hey, what the hell is he doing here?" reaction every time I see an Avenger.

I think most people will tell you to read Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men, the whole thing. The dialogue is pretty clunky and hokey since it's quite old now, so it might be a bit weird to read but it's where the X-Men pretty much hit their stride in popularity and quality. Current stories still refer to what happened in his run so you pretty much need to know it.

If you want something a bit newer you can read Grant Morrison's run which was New X-Men 2001. Critically acclaimed series that one.

Don't really know if either are in omnibus form. Probably are though since they're so popular.

These two lists are probably helpful for X-Men. Though there is quite a lot it might help you narrow down choices a bit.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8e8kgPnb21rpok63o1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8e8lg442f1rpok63o1_1280.jpg

from the http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/ , a very useful place to get comic recommendations.

As to why the Avengers is so prominent in X-Books now, it's because last year they had a big Avengers vs X-Men event, so now the groups interact a lot more.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Can Oya be my favorite superhero? if not.. Psylocke?

2. WaXTM, SSM, FF

3. Remender's Dark Angel saga? Second place is Annihilation.

4. got a statue from the Injustice Special Edition.. Wondie trying to choke and kill a bat-bitch.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1) Superman followed closely by the three original Legionnaires. I've always loved the circular nature of their relationship. He inspired them and they inspired him. Also love Superboy Prime and Power Girl.

2) Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, Green Arrow.

3) Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds.

4) Had a commission of Power Girl done by Kevin Maguire at Emerald City Comic Con. Really love it. Mostly complete modern run of Legion. Most of the Legion Archives. Fairly robust Heroclix collection.

Does anyone know how Comixology handles trades/collected editions? I assume it's treated as one big issue instead of the multiple issues that comprise it? Cause that would really irk my desire to keep everything looking nice if I have "Collection 1" and then "Issues 6-20" on my Series list

Here's what a volume looks like. You choose an issue on the right.
NGo25Kj.png

Nudull

Banned
So, I finally got to sit down and read through the first eight issues of Superior Spider-Man, and ultimately, I found this book really engaging in a twisted way. Granted,
I'm not too happy about Dr. Kafka apparently getting killed off to show how "serious" Massacre was, and issue two was just icky as hell
, but I fell that SpOck has it own quirks that makes it interesting enough for me to keep going. Given the suggestion from earlier, I take it'd be best if I skipped issue 9? :p

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1.) The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Spider-Man (*cheers*)

2.) New Avengers, Scarlet Spider, Avengers/Gambit

3.) Mm. I'm relatively new to collecting, so I'm gonna go with David Liss's Black Panther.

4.) My Marvel Comics app, lol... or I guess my trades for David Liss's Black Panther :p

I still don't understand where this antagonistic shit between Batwoman and Batman came from. I love the book but also continue to love to hate the character (especially the way she treats Bette).

Really loved Bette in this week's issue. She is fast becoming my favorite part of that book.

TheWraith

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Batman / Daredevil, can't decide

2. Saga, Savage Dragon, Daredevil

3. DD Born Again

4. The original art to James Stokoe's cover or the first Orc Stain tpb, or the full original run of Miller's Daredevil

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

Oooh questions!

1. Batman - the first comic I ever bought was Batman Adventures #5, and I'd always loved the various TV shows as a little kid. And then the run through Knightfall (first 'real' batbooks I got) though to the current day has been mostly some very good comics. I'm currently experiencing Bat-frenzy as I not only re-read No Man's Land but also try to piece together more bat-history that I didn't know about. Love this shit.

2. a) Saga - I'm reading this in trade but damn is it good. Such humanity and emotional realism, I love it so much.
b) Batman - consistently very good and exciting comics.
c) Wolverine and the X-Men - this is the book that made me care about X-Men after years of dipping in and out. Now I read all the core books, and it's all down to WatXM being the heart and soul of the franchise. So much fun, such good character work.

3. DC One Million - this is hands down the best crossover ever, and the best superhero event that nobody ever talks about. A strong core miniseries with perhaps the greatest ending of any comic ever (not spoiling it for those that haven't read it) but, more impressively, an entire month of tie in comics (~50 of the buggers) that work surprisingly well given the mammoth editing task it must have entailed. Mostly consistent, often very imaginative and far-out stories, with some of the best issues being the oddest - whoda thunk that Young Heroes In Love would be the perfect epilogue to the event? This is coming out as a massive phonebook onmi soon, everyone needs it.

4. Probably Absolute All-Star Superman, it's fuckin beautiful.

Anyone have an opinion of the the current morbius run?
Morbius is the worst comic on the market right now. Everyone involved in that comic is a complete hack.

Does anyone know where to find the Diamond codes for October books? Trying to finish my DCBS order and i cant search or add stuff on their site. Gotta do it through Excel.

kmfdmpig

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1) Batman
2) Batman, Hawkeye, Walking Dead
3) Old school Blue Beetle + Booster Gold JLI, Batman Year One, Alias or Transmetropolitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom