• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I like Wonder Woman, but the way they "beat" the First Born is just plain stupid.

Guy can survive being cratered into the ground and all sorts of stuff that'd leave others as pasted smears, but is done in by a fucking spear? Really? Puts "God Mode" Diana down, beats Orion and War like nothing, but is jobbed by a pointed stick? WEAK.

C'mon son.

Tizoc

Get some discussion in here get to know some of ComicGAF.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

3. Favorite past comic series or arc?

4. Most prized comic possesion. Art, comic, toy, etc?

Right now?
1- Daredevil
2- Daredevil, Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, Sonic Universe
3- Series hmmm...Grant Morrison's Batman run
4- All-Star Superman Hardcovers

Splatt

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Iron Fist, Black Panther, Daredevil

2. Daredevil, Locke & Key, Transformers More than Meets the Eye

3. That 75 issue arc in Fables

4. Spiderman: TAS VHS 2 parter episode with Venom. Introduced me to Marvel.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Batman in almost any incarnation, whether it be Bruce, Dick, or Damian wearing the cowl. The fact that he's a man holding his own among killers, aliens, gods, and everything in between makes him the most interesting superhero. His origin is perfect and his rogues gallery is easily the best.

2. At this moment: Batman & Robin, Casanova, and The Unwritten

3. Sandman was the first literary comic I read and helped get me back into comics in college, while also saving my life back then. We3 helped me discover Grant Morrison, and became my gateway to my favorite writer/creator of anything.

4. All-Star Superman because it radiates hope simply by sitting on my bookshelf. It's the perfect story. Also, my first copy of Blankets that I inscribed and sent to my last ex. for Valentine's Day a few years back. It was probably the most sincere thing I've ever done.

Axel Alonso talks about Matt Fraction leaving FF and Fantastic Four in this week's "Axel-In-Charge" segment on CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47504

CBR: One last piece of news worth discussing that we only were able to touch on last week is the creative handoff happening on the Fantastic Four titles. As we understand it, Matt Fraction has a lot of work on his hands getting in to "Inhumanity" and so Karl Kesel and Lee Allred will be taking over writing duties based on his notes on "Fantastic Four" and "FF" respectively. I know a lot of people were particularly excited to see Karl back on the franchise as well as seeing a full-on Allred Family jam for "FF," but I was wondering whether that's opened up discussions on whether these teams will take over the books on any kind of long term basis?

Alonso: It's too early to talk about what happens next, but I will say we have a plan that we're very excited about -- and part of our excitement is that Matt's run will come to a close with him involved. When we launched Marvel NOW!, Matt had a plan for a 16- to 18-issue run across both Fantastic Four titles and that story will be told. The new writers -- Karl Kesel on "Fantastic Four" and Lee Allred on "FF" -- are working from Matt's outline notes, and he will be acting as a consultant on the scripts.

The simple fact is, we were all caught by surprise by how much work "Inhumanity" was going to require from Matt. An initiative this big, a series this big -- requires an inordinate amount of prep work before the writer ever writes an actual script. I'm talking about world-building, creating a "bible" that will serve as reference for other writers. As much as it pained Matt to take that smaller role with the FF titles, it was necessary, and this is not an instance where he is being replaced by other writers. His fingerprints are all over this.
No mention of Matt's other commitments at competing publishers, but it's relieving to hear them say that even though he's not the lead going forward, his hands are still in it.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. I couldn't choose between Batman and Spider-Man

2 Tough question, but the three I look forward to most are. Hawkeye, Avengers Arena and X-Men

3. Grant Morrison's JLA or the Busiek/Perez Avengers

4. Recently got a sketch and my Walking Dead Compendiums signed by Charlie Adlard. Toys, I have all the Toy Biz Marvel Legends but they're in storage right now.

Axel Alonso talks about Matt Fraction leaving FF and Fantastic Four in this week's "Axel-In-Charge" segment on CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47504

No mention of Matt's other commitments at competing publishers, but it's relieving to hear them say that even though he's not the lead going forward, his hands are still in it.
Inhuman is the most important book of Matt Fraction's life. Disney has a lot of riding on it....

Kizer

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Batman - even though im new to comics ive always love the Dark Knight. Love the detective aspect, the code he lives by, how he questions his own sanity and love the gadgets, cars, and of course the costume.

2. 1. Batman (Snyder) See above.
2. Green Arrow (Lemire/Sorrentino)- How quickly this has shot up to my most anticipated comics of the month. Lemires writing with Sorrentinos mind blowing art make this a top notch book.
3. Superior Spiderman - My 2nd favorite superhero with a twist. Love this new take on Spidey. Cool to see how "Superior" Spidey could be.

3. Kinda hard for me since im new but I would say The Long Halloween. Just about the perfect Bat story.

4. Most prized comic possesion would be my New Teen Titans #2. Jan 1980. What got me into comics was Deathstroke from Injustice so I wanted something to remember that by.

Marvel-Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze)
DC- Aquaman

Aquaman
Scarlet Spider
Morbius

Ghost Rider Way/Aaron run

My Atrocitus hero clix piece. A friend of mine got me into the game by giving me his. I put him on any team he fits.

Also, I just found out about the Lobo change. I am so mad right now.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Dropped it when he got caught in a gang war. A complete waste, he should be fighting monsters and teaming up with Blade and Doc Strange. It should have been an opportunity to explore the supernatural and fight Cthulhu monsters and everything that goes bump in the night. He should be getting people out of deals with the devil, that Deadpool arc should have been a Morbius one. Instead he gets caught in a regular-ass gang war.

Damn. I'll buy #1 and leave it at that then. Perhaps the gf will pick up the series if she likes but I agree with what you said when it comes to expectations.

batsonfuneral5.jpg

ReiGun

Okay, I like Wonder Woman, but the way they "beat" the First Born is just plain stupid.

Guy can survive being cratered into the ground and all sorts of stuff that'd leave others as pasted smears, but is done in by a fucking spear? Really? Puts "God Mode" Diana down, beats Orion and War like nothing, but is jobbed by a pointed stick? WEAK.

C'mon son.

Gods apparently have low piercing defense. :p Besides, he's getting one of Wonder Woman's Villain's Month issues, so they're not done with him yet.

Calcium

Banned
I think most people will tell you to read Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men, the whole thing. The dialogue is pretty clunky and hokey since it's quite old now, so it might be a bit weird to read but it's where the X-Men pretty much hit their stride in popularity and quality. Current stories still refer to what happened in his run so you pretty much need to know it.

If you want something a bit newer you can read Grant Morrison's run which was New X-Men 2001. Critically acclaimed series that one.

Don't really know if either are in omnibus form. Probably are though since they're so popular.

These two lists are probably helpful for X-Men. Though there is quite a lot it might help you narrow down choices a bit.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8e8kgPnb21rpok63o1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8e8lg442f1rpok63o1_1280.jpg

from the http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/ , a very useful place to get comic recommendations.

As to why the Avengers is so prominent in X-Books now, it's because last year they had a big Avengers vs X-Men event, so now the groups interact a lot more.

Thanks for the info, man. That list will keep me busy for quite a while.

causan

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. DareDevil.

2. I have four atm: East of West, Saga, Hawkeye and DareDevil.

3. Just got back into comics, but what got me into them again was reading the Walking Dead graphic novels about 4 years ago.

4. Web of Spiderman #1.

frye

KYB is one of the more maligned Morrison comics (at least from what I've seen on the internet anyways) but it's a great comic imo

Hagi

cereal_killerxx

Decided to get into comics after a friend talked me into reading Civil War. It looks like a fantastic read, but I'm a little confused about the reading order...

Amazing Spider-Man #529
Road to Civil War TPB
Amazing Spider-Man #530
Amazing Spider-Man #531
Fantastic Four #536

New Avengers: Illuminati Special
Civil War: Opening Shot Sketchbook
Fantastic Four #537
Civil War #1
Marvel Spotlight: Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

After Spider-man #529, it says Road to Civil War TPB. I thought that was the same as the Illumanti Special or am I missing something?

ericexpo

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Flash

2. X-Men (ladies), Flash, Batwoman

3. Batgirl - Stephen Brown

4. Ultimate Spider-man #1

Owzers

1) Favorite superhero: Captain America or Zatanna perhaps, it is entirely creator dependent though, a character i like in the wrong hands destroys him.

2) Top 3 Ongoings: Walking Dead, FF, Invincible. They aren't the best in quality perhaps, at least not Walking Dead and Invincible, but those are the books i actually read when a dcbs shipment comes in, so that's something.

3) Favorite old arc/run: Nextwave Agents of Hate. No comic exists that is as vibrant and fun as Nextwave. None.

4) Favorite comicy related thing: Cover Girls of the DC Universe Catwoman statue designed by Adam Hughes. I don't buy statues since they are expensive and there are comics to be had, but i made an exception for this one.

AH_Catwoman.jpg

1. Favorite Superhero: Daredevil

2. Top 3 ongoing comics: Saga, Hawkeye, Daredevil

3. Favorite past comic series or arc: Y: The Last Man

4. Most prized comic possession:
- Y: The Last Man #1 (9.8) - probably my most valuable
- All-Star Batman & Robin (9.8 and signed by Frank Miller)
- All-Star Superman #1 (9.8, variant cover)
- Conan #24 (9.0, first full issue of Red Sonja)
- Ex Machina #1 (9.8)

Bii

For those who are getting comics on iOS, $50 iTunes card can be bought for $35: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-iTunes-C...0?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item565a61a20a
You'll have to wait for it to be delivered through the mail since they are plastic gift cards, and not digital codes, though.

On a semi-related note, my collection of comics is all f'd up. I would start a series by getting the trades, and once I was caught up, I would get the monthlies. Shortly thereafter, I converted to digital (for sake of space and convenience) and now I'm back to visiting my LCS every Wednesday for my monthlies. :/

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

These are not easy one answer questions but I will try my best.

1. DC Superman, Green Lantern (Kyle motherfuckin' Rayner), Power Girl Marvel Colossus, Wolverine, Spider Man

2. Batman, Earth 2, Superman/Batman

3. Dark Phoenix Saga, John Byrne's Man of Steel, Days of Future Past, The Death and Return of Superman, Batman Year One, The first year of the previous Power Girl run, Batman Hush, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and about 50 others

4. I don't really have a prized comic collection type thing. I don't have any super old or rare books really. *edit* I'm changing number 4! I just remembered I have the art of Amanda Connor signed and with a little personal note from her. The comic book shop I went to growing up as a kid was owned by her ex husband and her. She got some kick ass people to come in for signings, and she even did one herself when she started working on Barbie. They are awesome people, and helped make my childhood of reading comics even better.

Owzers

For those who are getting comics on iOS, $50 iTunes card can be bought for $35: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-iTunes-C...0?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item565a61a20a
You'll have to wait for it to be delivered through the mail since they are plastic gift cards, and not digital codes, though.

On a semi-related note, my collection of comics is all f'd up. I would start a series by getting the trades, and once I was caught up, I would get the monthlies. Shortly thereafter, I converted to digital (for sake of space and convenience) and now I'm back to visiting my LCS every Wednesday for my monthlies. :/

thanks for the heads up, got one.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Probably Danielle Moonstar or Iron Fist. Can't pick between those two!

2. Saga, All New Xmen, Hawkeye (sorry, Xmen, you were so close)

3. Might be a shocker to some, but it's not Claremont's Uncanny Xmen. It's actually John Francis Moore's Xforce run in the late 90s. Amazing MTV inspired drama that was nothing like the 12 year old, gun-and-pouch shit from before. Just a group of 20 somethings traveling the US and getting into trouble. The 75th issue was at the Marvel version of Burning Man. It was brilliant. Amazing art by Adam Pollina and later Jim Cheung.

4. Don't have much comic possessions, but I want to say my complete Mike Carey run from Xmen to the end of his run on Legacy. Xmen 200 is probably the most valuable part of it, I guess.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Spider-Man I guess. Deadpool comes a really close second.
2. Superior Spider-Man, Daredevil, New Avengers.
3. Probably All-Star Superman. I have a soft spot for Daniel Way's Deadpool run though, because that's what got me into comics in the first place.
4. I started reading comics staunchly in 2011, so I guess a handful of Skottie Young variants.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Spider-man but Daredevil is close

2. Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, Batman (we'll see if Zero Year keeps the quality up)

3. The Uncanny X-force run by Rick Remender recently. Read way too much to name a all-time favorite though.

4. Absolute All Star Superman it's so beautiful.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Rogue, Supergirl, She-Hulk, Aquaman, Nightwing, Daredevil, Kitty Pryde, Wally West... not good at picking at all but maybe something in there

2. Daredevil, Aquaman, FF

3. Probably Claremont X-men..but I love Peter David Supergirl(I really really loved that book), Waid Flash and Johns Flash, Priest Black Panther, Bendis Alias and Daredevil, Peter David XFactor, Giffen JLI, Slott She-Hulk, Morrison Batman, Sandman, Fables, Y the Last Man, Transmetropolitan, Kabuki/Scarab all of that, Batman No Man's Land, Locke and Key..too much stuff, a lot, I know I could keep going

4. Maybe Harley?

Decided to get into comics after a friend talked me into reading Civil War. It looks like a fantastic read, but I'm a little confused about the reading order...

Amazing Spider-Man #529
Road to Civil War TPB
Amazing Spider-Man #530
Amazing Spider-Man #531
Fantastic Four #536

New Avengers: Illuminati Special
Civil War: Opening Shot Sketchbook
Fantastic Four #537
Civil War #1
Marvel Spotlight: Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

After Spider-man #529, it says Road to Civil War TPB. I thought that was the same as the Illumanti Special or am I missing something?

All you need are three trades (books): Civil War, Road to Civil War, and Spider-Man: Civil War. Go on Amazon or your local book store and just get those, no need to buy issues or worry about reading order.

Bii

9587675360_5846f55cb1_b.jpg

My weekend TPB haul.
Chew Vol. 1: Taster's Choice. Wow, so good. I've only read the first two issues in this volume but it has me hooked. Definitely going to have to get the next.
Hawkeye: Little Hits, Vol. 2 Still great and consistent. I really like Pizza Dog's chapter. Though, I think there might be a printing error or something. Issue #7 is the first issue after you flip the cover, then it is followed by #6 and then #8. I'm not sure if that was intentional but it threw me off a bit since I wasn't paying attention to the numbers.
Fairest Vol. 1: Wide Awake. It's decent albeit predictable. For some reason, I think the charm that made Fables worth reading was lost on Fairest. I'll pick up the second volume and see where it goes from there.
Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1: Let It Bleed. Geez, this sucks. Bought it because of the Spiral + Psylocke teamup but the story didn't really grab me. Storm has guy issues, Psylocke has guy issues, Spiral has "mommy" issues and Cluster/Puck are just there. The appearance of Bishop was pretty cool but it seems like this story is going nowhere.

deim0s

Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1: Let It Bleed. Geez, this sucks. Bought it because of the Spiral + Psylocke teamup but the story didn't really grab me. Storm has guy issues, Psylocke has guy issues, Spiral has "mommy" issues and Cluster/Puck are just there. The appearance of Bishop was pretty cool but it seems like this story is going nowhere.

True. Glad I asked before on the current X-Force and dodged a bullet there.

Vyer

Nudull

Banned
http://collectededitions.blogspot.com/2013/08/jsa-omnibus-doom-patrol-omnibus-batman.html

Doom Patrol Morrison Omnibus ahoy, plus Brightest Day Omnibus for the people who don't know any better and accidentally think it's somethign worth buying

I will be keeping my trades of Doom Patrol though since the Invisibles omnibus is so large it could crush two small children and i'm not a murderer.

That Doom Patrol omnibus is mine. I like the team and I've never read Morrison's run before, so I hope it's as good as everyone says. I'm tempted to check out Johns' JSA, too. Anyone here read it?

Owzers

So every Marvel book is going to be an Infinity tie-in and every DC book is going to be a Zero year tie-in this Fall?

neither Xo. It's only about 8ish books each i think.

My comics backlog is making me not like comics as much as usual, I'm following too many series and i end up being behind on every single one but 4 or so out of 40.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Finally found War of Kings trade (already owned Road and Warriors) so finally was able to continue the story to lead into Realm of Kings (still can't find Nova or the Guardians trades for War of Kings, though).

I have to say that out of everything I am currently reading, War of Kings trumps most of it with brilliant action and smart writing. It made me a bigger fan of Black Bolt and give me faith in my backing of Gladiator as a character. This is the first time Darkhawk has given me a reason to want to know more about his character, so I'll be reading more up on him after I finish with Realm of Kings. I know the character appears in Avengers Arena, but I've abandoned the series for now since other weekly stuff has taken its place (Batman 66, Zero Year, Guardians, etc.)

Can anyone comment on Trinity War and if it will be worth a read once it is put in trade? Also, are there any DC weekly series that feature Manhunter? He's my favorite character from DC, but I've yet to go beyond the recent Batman lineup.

Owzers

i might hold off on Trinity War for the trade since it's also collecting a few of the Pandora/Constantine tie-in issues, should be a nice collection assuming it's good enough to read when it finishes and doesn't turn out to be just a decent transition into Forever Evil.

Excited for this week. 8/28 List.

American Vampire Anthology #1
Batman Incoperated Special #1
Batman Superman #3
Catwoman #23
Green Team #4
Justice League #23
Lazarus #3
Morning Glories #30
Ultimate Comics Spiderman #26

That Doom Patrol omnibus is mine. I like the team and I've never read Morrison's run before, so I hope it's as good as everyone says. I'm tempted to check out Johns' JSA, too. Anyone here read it?

Yes both are good but the JSA omnibus is skipping like the first chunk of the story (the stuff written by James Robinson, David Goyer w/Johns) which is like the base that he built everything else off of.

Acid08

Banned
neither Xo. It's only about 8ish books each i think.

My comics backlog is making me not like comics as much as usual, I'm following too many series and i end up being behind on every single one but 4 or so out of 40.
I know that feeling. Once the backlog stack gets too big it's hard to get the motivation to go pick up your new books. I need to really trim down my pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom