• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Starting to revamp my pull list and trying out some new stuff along the way. For 8/28:

Sword of Sorcery vol. 1 (Sad that I was way too late to get into this book when it was coming out, but I've heard plenty of good things about it, so I hope it reads well.)
---
American Vampire Anthology #1
Captain Marvel #15
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #3
Itty Bitty Hellboy #1 (My first Hellboy series. Not an ideal start, I know, but it's the Tiny Titans team, so it has to be lovely.)
Journey Into Mystery #655 (RIP)
Regular Show #3
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #26
Young Avengers #9 (This one's going to hurt, I just know it.)

Iron Badger's Early Morning Pull List now presented in Panel-Vision!

I2HOu3D.jpg
1275754_ful.jpg
1275793_ful.jpg

1275621_ful.jpg
1275648_ful.jpg
1275657_ful.jpg

Z9zed9Y.jpg
1276086_ful.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
http://collectededitions.blogspot.com/2013/08/jsa-omnibus-doom-patrol-omnibus-batman.html

Doom Patrol Morrison Omnibus ahoy, plus Brightest Day Omnibus for the people who don't know any better and accidentally think it's somethign worth buying

I will be keeping my trades of Doom Patrol though since the Invisibles omnibus is so large it could crush two small children and i'm not a murderer.

Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell by Paul Dini and Joe Quinones coming in May? That's a big deal. This has been in the works for many years.

Intrigued by Ostrander's run of Spectre. I also see his Martian Manhunter was previously revealed to be getting a collection in February, I'll look into that too.

Very pleased to see that they'll finish up Brubaker's Catwoman run.

In checking up on various trades, I noticed Amazon has a deluxe edition of Daytripper coming in April. I still haven't read that, so maybe I'll just wait for that release instead.

ElNarez

Banned
Uncanny X-Force is sick. Y'all are crazy. The only bad part was that shitty Psylocke/Fantomex story. It's definitely back on track now, though.

I thought the Psylocke's hyperconvoluted love story was the kind of crazy take on happenings in the X World that I'd want from this form of UXF.

Get some discussion in here get to know some of ComicGAF.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

3. Favorite past comic series or arc?

4. Most prized comic possesion. Art, comic, toy, etc?

1. Marv (Sin City).

2. Hawkeye, Daredevil, Batman (Snyder).

3. Watchmen and Sin City

4. Hmm... I think it's my set of Fractions Hawkeye run, all 1st-printings.

Mafro

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. A tough one. I don't think I actually have a single favourite superhero but I've always had a soft spot for Thor, Black Panther, Kitty Pryde and Archangel.

2. Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, Lazarus

3. My answers to this will probably change on a daily basis, but today my favourite past series is probably Mark Millar's run on Ultimates, favourite arc is the Dark Angel Saga in Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

4. This signed Olly Moss artist's proof Black Widow print:

pZLq2MXl.jpg

Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1: Let It Bleed. Geez, this sucks. Bought it because of the Spiral + Psylocke teamup but the story didn't really grab me. Storm has guy issues, Psylocke has guy issues, Spiral has "mommy" issues and Cluster/Puck are just there. The appearance of Bishop was pretty cool but it seems like this story is going nowhere.
Yeah I dropped this series. The line-up was interesting, but so far the series seems to be totally dominated by Psylocke and the three versions of Fantomex. I feel like the relationship stuff between them was already done to death in the previous UXF run.

Crisis on Infinite Lists!

Aquaman #23
Batman Incorporated Special #1
Batman Superman #3
Batman The Dark Knight #23
Catwoman #23 (maybe)
Flash #23
Justice League #23
Red Lanterns #23
Superman #23
Teen Titans #23

8/28 List:

Marvel:
A+X #11
Avengers Arena #14 - The final arc begins. Cullen's gonna die, and I'll be sad.
New Avengers #9
Scarlet Spider #21 - I know it's a fake out, you know it's a fake out, but holy shit, dat preview
Uncanny Avengers #11
Young Avengers #9

DC:
Batman/Superman #3
Justice League #23
The Unwritten #52

Indies:
Mark Waid's Green Hornet #5 (Dynamite)
Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #8 of 12 (IDW)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #25 (IDW)
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #20 (IDW)

List:
Captain America #10
Deadpool #15
FF #11
New Avengers #9
Thanos Rising #5
Thor: God of Thunder #12
Uncanny X-Men #11
Wolverine and the X-Men #35
Young Avengers #9
Batman Superman #3
Flash #23
Justice League #23

ReiGun

List and thangs

Aquaman #23
Batman Superman #3
Justice League #22
Lazarus #3
Sex #6
Captain America #10
New Avengers #9
Uncanny X-Men #11

Does anyone know any good Riddler stories I could hunt down? Guy is my favorite Batman villain, but I don't think I've read a single story with him in it.

arkon

I'm definitely getting that Grant Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus. Maybe the Remender Uncanny X-Force too as I only read the first trade of that run so far.

My list for next week:

Flash #23
FF #11
Lazarus #3
Mysterious Strangers #3
Star Wars Legacy Volume 2 #6
Transformers: MTMTE #20
Wolverine And The X-Men #35
Young Avengers #9

Does anyone know any good Riddler stories I could hunt down? Guy is my favorite Batman villain, but I don't think I've read a single story with him in it.

The problem with The Riddler is that he has a genius-level IQ, but he's written by writers who aren't geniuses. He's a villain who can casually trick his victim into donning a pair of handcuffs and who will irritatedly refer to his adversary as "Bat-. . . something or other", completely confident in his plan. Unfortunately, he's often wasted on Joker-lite adventures or plots that really seem beneath him, like that first BTAS episode where he's making them run around a maze. There is one I really love though...

Batman: Confidential #26-28, "King Tut's Tomb!" King Tut from Adam West Batman is back, and he's straight up murdering people! What's his pattern, what's his game? Batman is forced to team-up with The Riddler to solve this mystery, that eventually leads them into a Temple of Doom style finale! A very entertaining story with some fantastic artwork by the great José Luis Garcia-López and Kevin Nowlan

I think a story arc is ending this week. So maybe hunt those back issues down or wait for the next issue.

But it's still my favorite X-Men book at the moment, I'd definitely recommend it.

Given that this week they're right at the conclusion of a story arc that's been building since Issue One I'd say jumping in right now without any foreknowledge would be unwise.

How far back will I have to go? Comixology tells me that the latest issue is #34. Is it worth going all the way back?

Batman: Confidential #26-28, "King Tut's Tomb!" King Tut from Adam West Batman is back, and he's straight up murdering people! What's his pattern, what's his game? Batman is forced to team-up with The Riddler to solve this mystery, that eventually leads them into a Temple of Doom style finale! A very entertaining story with some fantastic artwork by the great José Luis Garcia-López and Kevin Nowlan

Gonna have to track down these issues, I love a good Riddler

cereal_killerxx

All you need are three trades (books): Civil War, Road to Civil War, and Spider-Man: Civil War. Go on Amazon or your local book store and just get those, no need to buy issues or worry about reading order.

What about Civil War: Frontline? Are any of the other stories worth reading like Civil War: Captain America or Civil War: X-men?

List time!

Massive #15
American Vampire Anthology #1
Unwritten #52
TMNT #25
Lazarus #3
Journey Into Mystery #655
Uncanny X-Men #11
Wolverine & The X-Men #35

Smaller week than I originally thought.

1. Favorite Superhero?

2. Top 3 ongoing comics.

1. Batman - even though im new to comics ive always love the Dark Knight. Love the detective aspect, the code he lives by, how he questions his own sanity and love the gadgets, cars, and of course the costume.

2. 1. Batman (Snyder) See above.
2. Green Arrow (Lemire/Sorrentino)- How quickly this has shot up to my most anticipated comics of the month. Lemires writing with Sorrentinos mind blowing art make this a top notch book.
3. Superior Spiderman - My 2nd favorite superhero with a twist. Love this new take on Spidey. Cool to see how "Superior" Spidey could be.

3. Kinda hard for me since im new but I would say The Long Halloween. Just about the perfect Bat story.

4. Most prized comic possesion would be my New Teen Titans #2. Jan 1980. What got me into comics was Deathstroke from Injustice so I wanted something to remember that by.

Nice idea, KoruptData!

1. Favourite hero: Batwoman. Say what you will about the series, but there's just no way around it. She's the hero I relate to and like the best. I also have a lot of affection for:
She-Hulk: Byrne's Sensational She-Hulk was the first comic book series I followed monthly.
Renee Montoya: Baddest Bitch.
Iceman: I fell for Iceman when as a child I came across a couple of issues of his early 80's solo mini. These issues blew my little mind.. and I specifically remember that to understand what was happening I had to look up "oblivion" in the dictionary. I also really love his power set and look. I have three of the issues from his early 2000s solo mini series, but I've read very little of the character in the actual X-Men books.

2. Top three ongoing comics: Lazarus, East of West, Batwoman. I also really like Sheltered so far. The Walking Dead still has it's hooks in me pretty good.

3. Favourite arc: Half a Life by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark from Gotham Central.

4. Most prized: I have a lot of issues and collections that have sentimental value but nothing that can't be replaced, really. I guess I love my Batwoman nu52 figure the best? That one and my Michonne-from-the-comics figure? My Lying Cat shirt?

Also, I'll add a number 5. Mini-series are about half the comics I pull so here are my three top current mini series: Trillium, Army of Darkness VS Hack/Slash, and Six-Gun Gorilla.

ElNarez

Banned
omg of course you did

Yeah, because I have the best fucking opinions in the whole dang thread.

That's what you were going to say, right? That I am always right and my opinions are awesome. Because that's the truth.

By the way, HATERS, here's THE BEST FUCKING LIST:
All-Star Western #23
Aquaman #23
Batman Incorporated Special #1
Batman Superman #3
Flash #23
Federal Bureau of Physics #2
Justice League #23
Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril #2
Lazarus #3
Captain America #10
Captain Marvel #14
Deadpool #15
FF #11
JiM #655
New Avengers #9
Thor: God of Thunder #12
Uncanny Avengers #11
Uncanny X-Men #11
WatXM #35
Young Avengers #9

Owzers

I'm nearing the end of Unwritten vol 3, pretty much the only comic i've been giving time to lately on and off thanks to backlog shenanigans and killing my motivation to read anything current. I'm at the choose your story issue....i like the concept but i don't think it was executed well in trade form, not sure how it went in a single issue, but there is A LOT of page jumping constantly.

Apart from that, this trade has been great as is the series.

I'm nearing the end of Unwritten vol 3, pretty much the only comic i've been giving time to lately on and off thanks to backlog shenanigans and killing my motivation to read anything current. I'm at the choose your story issue....i like the concept but i don't think it was executed well in trade form, not sure how it went in a single issue, but there is A LOT of page jumping constantly.

Apart from that, this trade has been great as is the series.
I'm wondering if it worked in the digital version.

we keep putting our lists up earlier and earlier! its still sunday on the east coast right?

here's my list tho. i can't fight the system.

Avengers Arena #12
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #26
Uncanny X-Men #11
Wolverine & The X-Men #35
Young Avengers #9

CorvoSol

So I just finished catching up on the Batman Beyond digital comic series. It's really good. I think my favorite of the arcs I read to catch up was "Batgirl Beyond." It was short, sort of self-contained, but still to-the-point and just about a bat fighting crime in Gotham. The other two that I read, "10,000 Clowns" and "Undercloud" weren't bad, though. I definitely preferred 10k Clowns to Undercloud, though. Clowns seemed like a Big Damn Event with appearances by Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, Catwoman (not Selena), and some new mook-turned-hero. Undercloud, which focused more on Max (which isn't a bad thing), had the return of some Metal Men or something? I don't really remember them from anything but there they were.

As always seeing Terry pound chumps into pulp with his futuristic Batsuit was the best.

sol_bad

Liiiiiiiiiiiist!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avengers Arena #14
Captain America #10
Captain Marvel #15
Deadpool #15
FF #11
New Avengers #9
Thanos Rising #5
Thor God Of Thunder #12
Uncanny Avengers #11
Uncanny X-Men #11
Wolverine And X-Men #35

Flash #23
Justice League #23

Lazarus #3
Mind The Gap #13
Sex #6
Star Wars #8

Damn myself and having to buy all tie-ins for an event!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I just finished catching up on the Batman Beyond digital comic series. It's really good. I think my favorite of the arcs I read to catch up was "Batgirl Beyond." It was short, sort of self-contained, but still to-the-point and just about a bat fighting crime in Gotham. The other two that I read, "10,000 Clowns" and "Undercloud" weren't bad, though. I definitely preferred 10k Clowns to Undercloud, though. Clowns seemed like a Big Damn Event with appearances by Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, Catwoman (not Selena), and some new mook-turned-hero. Undercloud, which focused more on Max (which isn't a bad thing), had the return of some Metal Men or something? I don't really remember them from anything but there they were.

As always seeing Terry pound chumps into pulp with his futuristic Batsuit was the best.

My man, it is good to know I am not the only one who appreciates this greatness. I agree with you on all points.

My man, it is good to know I am not the only one who appreciates this greatness. I agree with you on all points.

I thought it was a given, nigh upon gospel, that Batman Beyond was amazing.

And yeah, I too like Corvo was initially surprised by the appearance of the Metal Men, but I kind of liked it; where it makes sense I like it when they flesh out the greater Beyond universe. Sure, I do appreciate the "bleakness" that seems to be that settings hallmark, but it always seemed weird that there was this sense of so few remaining heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom