• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea im super busy this week as it turns out.

also Cap
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

The problem I have, as I'm new to comics, is knowing/remembering characters.

When a characters actual name is called I'll most likely not know it, unless it people like Spiderman, Thor, Cap America, Batman etc.

The Moon Knight comic I'm reading I often find myself searching google for the names that appear in the comic such as Nick Fury and Count Nefaria. Is this something you find yourself doing or do you just gradually start to remember them?
It's just something you'll pick up after you read enough. Nick Fury is in a ton of stuff, so eventually you'll just start recognizing him. Nefaria is used less but eventually you'll just start remembering him from stories you've read before. Once you start really getting into a hero you'll see the villains repeated and learn to appreciate them too.

When a characters actual name is called I'll most likely not know it, unless it people like Spiderman, Thor, Cap America, Batman etc.

The Moon Knight comic I'm reading I often find myself searching google for the names that appear in the comic such as Nick Fury and Count Nefaria. Is this something you find yourself doing or do you just gradually start to remember them?

Just something you do until you get familiar with it. And sometimes it won't matter, you'll always need to. I'm a huge Legion fan, but you better believe I have to wiki some of the shit I come across. Eventually you'll become aware of all the first, second and perhaps third string characters, in some vague fashion, while not always knowing exact details.

Just part of the hobby, brah.

Is Apokolips in the Earth 1 universe or in its own universe? Like was the Darkseid that attacked Earth 1 the same one that attacked Earth 2?

Kikarian

It's just something you'll pick up after you read enough. Nick Fury is in a ton of stuff, so eventually you'll just start recognizing him. Nefaria is used less but eventually you'll just start remembering him from stories you've read before. Once you start really getting into a hero you'll see the villains repeated and learn to appreciate them too.
This was something I was wondering, if the villians are repeated. I guess this will make it easier for me to remember them. Thanks!

Just something you do until you get familiar with it. And sometimes it won't matter, you'll always need to. I'm a huge Legion fan, but you better believe I have to wiki some of the shit I come across. Eventually you'll become aware of all the first, second and perhaps third string characters, in some vague fashion, while not always knowing exact details.

Just part of the hobby, brah.
So, I guess it's something you'll just find yourself doing from time to time. Thanks!

ReiGun

So Trinity War was really just Act 1 of the story. I'm sure it could turn it out fine later, but I'm a bit miffed atm that Part 6 was such a non-conclusion.

And what the hell was up with the character stuff?
Making Steve want Superman to die? Treating Wonder Woman like an object? Constantine being all "I'm already bad, yo. I got this." I was annoyed pretty much every time the characters opened their mouths until the Crime Syndicate appeared. Speaking of, I love their designs. Especially Sea King, who looked badass. I hope he's not really dead. :(

Is Apokolips in the Earth 1 universe or in its own universe? Like was the Darkseid that attacked Earth 1 the same one that attacked Earth 2?

More and more, it's seeming like the New Gods exist in their own universe separate from the different Earths, and Darkseid went on a rampage across the different Earths when the New 52 started. I know sometimes Apokolips and New Genesis are just planets in the universe, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

As far as we know, Apokolips and the New Gods are "unique", in the New 52 universe. That is, they exist in their own dimension and don't have other copies running around. So it's the same Darkseid in Justice League as is in Batman/Superman, as is in Earth 2.

So Trinity War was really just Act 1 of the story. I'm sure it could turn it out fine later, but I'm a bit miffed atm that Part 6 was such a non-conclusion.

We knew it was an Act 1. But it was a hell of an Act 1, imo.

ReiGun

We knew it was an Act 1. But it was a hell of an Act 1, imo.
I knew it too, but I almost want there to one more issue before we get into Forever Evil (which I am looking forward to). This just felt unsatisfying. Trinity War was really fun, but it just didn't stick the landing.

I knew it too, but I almost want there to one more issue before we get into Forever Evil (which I am looking forward to). This just felt unsatisfying. Trinity War was really fun, but it just didn't stick the landing.

What would you have liked to see, out of curiosity? Spoiler tag it, of course.
Were you hoping for them to like, do their thing, exile/kill/fuck up the Justice League/s in the last pages?

So who was that dude on the last page of UXM?

WatXM was really good. Hope the quality stays at that level for the next arc. Anything to make me forget the fucking circus arc.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The callbacks in Avengers Arena are crazy. For instance, issue #5 showed us
Cullen kicking the asses of everyone at the Braddock Academy except the Britains, and his sister's ass, simultaneously.

This was something I was wondering, if the villians are repeated. I guess this will make it easier for me to remember them. Thanks!
It really depends, someone like Nefaria isn't really anyone's adversary. He is kind of just used as a general villain anytime some one in the Marvel universe needs a villain and a writer wants to use him. As opposed to someone like Bushman, who is mainly a Moon Knight villain and will probably be a recurring character who you'll find is more directly tied into Moon Knight's history if you read through more Moon Knight comics.

It sounds confusing at first, but after you read enough from various places it all just starts to click and becomes one shared universe in your head.

Owzers

sillymonkey321 will do it

i'm keeping quiet to see if there are any takers, my formats feel inferior to what Spike's been putting up. Images sized correctly? I believe images are created equal no matter the shape or size. DC needs to put out triangle covers.

ReiGun

What would you have liked to see, out of curiosity? Spoiler tag it, of course.
Were you hoping for them to like, do their thing, exile/kill/fuck up the Justice League/s in the last pages?

Maybe something like a flash forward like we started the series, either told from the perspective of the Earth 3 Trinity (poetry!) or a scene of Luthor and a group of villains suiting up to take on the CS (since I understand at least part of Forever Evil's concept is the villains vs the Crime Syndicate). Just something that strongly puts a pin in this part of the story. As is, it feels like there's a Part 7 coming, even though we know there's not.

All that said, I enjoyed Trinity War. I wish the ending was stronger and it had better character work, but it was a fun time.

Edit: Captain America 10...You guys...

kswiston

i'm keeping quiet to see if there are any takers, my formats feel inferior to what Spike's been putting up. Images sized correctly? I believe images are created equal no matter the shape or size. DC needs to put out triangle covers.

If you want to handle the text, I could do all the images and formatting for you. We could make use of Spike's banners to keep things consistent, so it would just be a matter of choosing books from each publisher for the month. Alternatively (if you are not really interested in that much work), a few of us could split up the previews write ups, and I could put everything together for Sunday/Monday. I'm not sure if I will have time to do the entire OP solo this weekend between work and other obligations, or I would have offered earlier.

Kikarian

It really depends, someone like Nefaria isn't really anyone's adversary. He is kind of just used as a general villain anytime some one in the Marvel universe needs a villain and a writer wants to use him. As opposed to someone like Bushman, who is mainly a Moon Knight villain and will probably be a recurring character who you'll find is more directly tied into Moon Knight's history if you read through more Moon Knight comics.

It sounds confusing at first, but after you read enough from various places it all just starts to click and becomes one shared universe in your head.
Oh, okay. So there's a constant link with Bushman with different Moon Knight comics. Somewhat like Joker and Batman?

JEKKI

whooo~!!! PAX!! I'm going to PAX!!

any1 going?!?! anybody gotta sweet COMICS playlist for their flights / layover / waiting in lines / lol

on deck I got:

Fantastic Four (Hickman) vol 4
Old Man Logan
Sweet Tooth vol. 1 & 2
Green Arrow Long Bow Hunters
Hellblazer - Haunted

and more in case I run out on those =P

thank u comixology!!

Vyer

JL#23: Enjoyed Trinity war. Unfortunately the reveal at the end was known, but it does make me look forward to Forever Evil.

Captain America 10: Interesting way to end it. This whole Dimension Z storyline was fantastic, and I'm curious exactly how
the whole 'Cap is even more a man out of time' stuff
will work out.

Thor#12: Any concerns I had about the story after the Godbomb stuff was over went away very quickly. Just a fabulous issue and for someone who isn't as well versed in Thor as I am a great way to get the character to connect back on Earth. Really good.

New Avengers9: Better than the borefest that was Avengers last week, so I'll hang on for another issue of Infinity, but so far....meh.

WatXM 35: Damn this book is so fun. I'm going to give Battle of the Atom or whatever a shot, but I'm seriously considering making WatXM my only X book. It's so far ahead of everything else 'X-Men' I read that it's not even funny.
awww at the Broo hug at the end

Talon 11: This book is still pretty good, but the art has become so bad. A shame.

Larfleeze 3: I don't know how Giffen has managed to keep a book about Larfleeze entertaining after 3 issues but he has. Stargrave helps. I'm expecting this book to fade out, but it hasn't happened yet. It has that same kind of humor mixed in that I enjoy from WatXM.

Young Avengers 9: After really hating the first issue, this book has really grown on me since. I don't know as much about these characters so I imagine I'm missing a lot of references that would make it better, but so far it's held my interest. I was sure I would have dropped this by now.

Still need to read Superman/Batman and the Batman Inc special.

And what the hell was up with the character stuff?
Making Steve want Superman to die? Treating Wonder Woman like an object? Constantine being all "I'm already bad, yo. I got this." I was annoyed pretty much every time the characters opened their mouths until the Crime Syndicate appeared. Speaking of, I love their designs. Especially Sea King, who looked badass. I hope he's not really dead. :(

They were
getting corrupted by the box. Tainted by versions of what they would be on Earth 3, I'd imagine.

Agree on the designs.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

I'm pretty "new" to comics. I read them when I was a kid and lapsed in the early 90s and then started picking up DC trades in 2008-2009. During the New 52 reboot I decided to jump in whole hog and pick up the continuity as it was a nice jumping on point.

Here are the main tips:

1) The main guys will be mentioned a lot. You'll figure out who the big-bads are pretty quickly if you don't already know them.

2) Any backstory that is critical to a character will be mentioned ad naseum in every arc that the character is in, so don't worry about that.

3) Don't worry about the big events of the past people talk about. I've gone back to re-read some of them, and for the most part they aren't important (other than potentially being a good read).

4) Don't worry about trying to pick up every trade. I became convinced that I needed books x, y and z to have a "full" understanding of the books I cared about. For the most part that isn't true... even when they say something is a cross-over to an event you are reading. 9 times out of 10 it's a mostly unrelated side-story.

So just buy what you like, feel free to wiki stuff when you need back-story, realize it will click pretty fast and don't sweat the weird weird details. For the most part I've looked at comics as a "ride". It's fun while you are on it, but you kind of have to just turn your brain off and enjoy it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oh yeah, I also got a single day pass to NYCC for Friday.

What should I know? I would like to get some autographs (Synder) is that a fools errand? I don't really gets into collectible stuff much so I don't want to buy anything and I'm not super into the ideas of panels.

I'm honestly not sure what I'm even supposed to do at a comic con, but it seemed like a thing to do.

Earth 1 is the "Ultimate DC Universe" so I don't think they have introduced Darkseid there yet

I think the New 52 earth is just called "Earth Prime" now and yes I believe it's the same Darkseid because in the first JL story he makes a comment that he has already killed Superman a hundred times or something to that affect.

Acid08

Banned
Finally was able to get a copy of Six Gun Gorilla #1 and it's a first printing! So now I have three issues to read tomorrow, super stoked.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
whooo~!!! PAX!! I'm going to PAX!!

any1 going?!?! anybody gotta sweet COMICS playlist for their flights / layover / waiting in lines / lol

on deck I got:

Fantastic Four (Hickman) vol 4
Old Man Logan
Sweet Tooth vol. 1 & 2
Green Arrow Long Bow Hunters
Hellblazer - Haunted

and more in case I run out on those =P

thank u comixology!!

nova vol 3, Thanos Imperative, and Saga vol 2 are most likely coming with me.

Earth 1 is the "Ultimate DC Universe" so I don't think they have introduced Darkseid there yet

I think the New 52 earth is just called "Earth Prime" now and yes I believe it's the same Darkseid because in the first JL story he makes a comment that he has already killed Superman a hundred times or something to that affect.

Yeah you are right. E1 is not the "Prime Earth", but the one from the ONG.
And yes we have both a "Earth Prime" ("the real world" where Superboy Prime came from) and a "Prime Earth" (the DCU that came to be after Flashpoint) now.

And it seems that Darkseid and the New Gods are still in their own dimension that can access the multiverse, like before COIE. Fits the theme of them being absolute ideas that only project shadows of themselves into different universes when they interact with them.

Lombaszko

Batman/Superman #3: Greg Pak continues to nail it. It's great that this story can be fun like an out of continuity book and yet totally tie into what's going on in the New 52.

Batman Inc Special: I wonder if they are testing the market for a Batman Inc monthly?
Here's how I read the BatCow story- "Ok. Wait, he's stopping the stolen car, that's kind of stupid. A bottle? OH MY GOD THIS IS GREAT!

Trinity War: I liked Part 6 a lot.
How everything was falling apart reminded me of Flashpoint, and the action and art intensity were on the same level as the first couple issues from this event.

I think having the Crime Syndicate vs. Villains for a few months will be a good excuse to cheer for the bad guys. Wasn't there a mini-series preNew 52 that had the villains on some remote planet, having to work together? I want to say Luthor and Vandal Savage were in it? Anyway, it's cool to do a story like that every few years.

Like others have said, I wish Part 6 ended with the Justice League getting trapped or transported somewhere out of the way, which is what I imagine will happen in Forever Evil.

What do you all think of the Green Arrow comics?

From #17 onwards it has been great. You can tell that they are stealing elements from the show, piecemeal, so that may affect how you like it. But I've gone from being "meh" on the title to putting it on or near the top of the read pile.

Half way through my pull so far. One thing I have to say is I wish TW and Forever Evil were delayed 1 month. There are so many books with 1 more part to their story line and we get to wait 2 months to read them. Fucking annoying.

JL23 was damn good. I've really liked TW alot. It's blatantly a first act, and one that ends where I think it needed to. Its leaving you wanting more.
I think ending it with a glimpse of the future, or of the JLs getting captured by the CS would have been a bit too much. As it is we're ending on a pretty fucking down note. I mean Superman is dieing with a shard of kryptonite in his brain, Vic has been separated from the robotic body keeping him a live, who knows how long he can survive with out that. This wasn't meant to be a cohesive story, this is just past 1. It's like complaining that a single book in a multibook event didn't have a proper ending.
I'm really looking forward to where this goes and what happens in Forever evil. Though that said
I'm not crazy about returning to a pre-COIEs universe. Which is basically what we're at. While Earth 2 has been a fantastic book and really interesting, I'm happy to have PG back, B/S has been sooo good, and TW has been really good. I'm not crazy about more Earths. It just dilutes things. I do hope after TW we don't get all Multiverse all the time.

B/S 3 was so god damn good. This and Superman Unchained are the best Super books out there.

Red Lanterns was pretty f'ing good too, and for me still the only other Lantern group outside of the Greens that's interesting.

Flash 23, a decent book hopefully this arc ends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom