• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

This joke didn't get enough love, so I'm just gonna say it's brilliant.

I just got through Dial H 15 and holy fuckballs. I can see some of the language being tough to parse because Mieville built an entire fucking universe based around these dials, but I think some close reading makes the book super rewarding (and fucking fun).

Also, there's still one more issue, with 20 different artists working on it apparently.

Yeah, there's going to be a Dial E book in September for Villains Month.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Every time I see some DC news I always breathe a sigh of relief knowing I'm doing as little as possible to support their failing business model.

After my last pull-list update the only DC book (not including Vertigo) I get monthly now is Batman. Everything else can burn.

but speaking of Vertigo, Trillium, pretty dope.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Every time I see some DC news I always breathe a sigh of relief knowing I'm doing as little as possible to support their failing business model.

After my last pull-list update the only DC book (not including Vertigo) I get monthly now is Batman. Everything else can burn.

but speaking of Vertigo, Trillium, pretty dope.

As is Collider. Vertigo is coming back strong.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
hi all; Girlfriend and I are getting back into comics, so I come to you asking advice on the most recent (within the last two years) stuff that is worth getting into. We are typically Marvel (Earth 616) fans, so we frequently are reading this universe. For non-Marvel, she follows The Walking Dead religiously, while I frequently read Fables and Y: The Last Man. Within Earth 616, I'm frequently following cosmic Marvel and Runaways, while she is a Deadpool, Hawkeye, and Venom.

Now that is out of the way, I'm open to suggestions. When it comes to DC, I'm a Manhunter, Shazam, Hawkgirl, and Lantern fan. Girlfriend is not a fan (she's not opposed to it, just doesn't follow any characters) of anything DC.

1) Being a Runaways and Y: The Last Man fan, is Saga worth checking out and investing time/money?
2) What do you recommend for the most current comics to follow? I'm currently reading Avengers Arena (not so good, but two Runaways are in the story arc) and Guardians of the Galaxy (love it thus far). Girlfriend is reading The Walking Dead.
3) Age of Ultron or Pre-Infinity worth reading?

P.S. I'm disappointed Marvel has yet to re-release its cosmic stories from the early 2000's. It's hard to find any of the Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy volumes.

Tizoc

Burn The Orphanage #1 was my favorite book this week. Although I don't know how well it'll work for people not "in on the joke" on 90s beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage or Final Fight.
You just sold me on this book will check it out by tomorrow.

Owzers

hi all; Girlfriend and I are getting back into comics, so I come to you asking advice on the most recent (within the last two years) stuff that is worth getting into. We are typically Marvel (Earth 616) fans, so we frequently are reading this universe. For non-Marvel, she follows The Walking Dead religiously, while I frequently read Fables and Y: The Last Man. Within Earth 616, I'm frequently following cosmic Marvel and Runaways, while she is a Deadpool, Hawkeye, and Venom.

Now that is out of the way, I'm open to suggestions. When it comes to DC, I'm a Manhunter, Shazam, Hawkgirl, and Lantern fan. Girlfriend is not a fan (she's not opposed to it, just doesn't follow any characters) of anything DC.

1) Being a Runaways and Y: The Last Man fan, is Saga worth checking out and investing time/money?
2) What do you recommend for the most current comics to follow? I'm currently reading Avengers Arena (not so good, but two Runaways are in the story arc) and Guardians of the Galaxy (love it thus far). Girlfriend is reading The Walking Dead.

P.S. I'm disappointed Marvel has yet to re-release its cosmic stories from the early 2000's. It's hard to find any of the Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy volumes.

I would definitely check out Invincible for the both of you. Saga is good but really whacky, so it depends on taste. I'd avoid the Green Lantern books unless you want to read all of them because they are constantly having crossover stories between 4 books.
Skip Age of Ultron, read Hickman's New Avengers and Avengers from the beginning if possible, not that far into New but ~17 issues into Avengers.

other stuff that's ongoing:

Hawkeye
Daredevil
Thor
Captain America
Uncanny Avengers, but it helps to have read Uncanny X-Force by Remender too
Morning Glories
Fatale
Wonder Woman on the dc front

frye

Bendis is calling him up right now for his next talking heads comic

(and it'll be the best talking heads comic of them all!)

ZtUKgsj.jpg

Bendis is all about thinkin' heads now.

tm24

Finally picked up my books today. ANXmen was amazing. Guys, i enjoy multiple Bendis books at the same time. I don't know what universe im living in anymore!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's funny, there's a typo in there. It says Jean Gray in one of the boxes instead of Grey.

That's better than the page of Hickman's New Avengers that had the Infinity Gems mislabeled two pages after they had been labeled correctly. That led to some awkward theories on our part and an apology on theirs.

kswiston

That's better than the page of Hickman's New Avengers that had the Infinity Gems mislabeled two pages after they had been labeled correctly. That led to some awkward theories on our part and an apology on theirs.

Haha. I remember that.

You think it's safe to assume that the remaining (missing) gem will pop back up in Infinity?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

I recommend you Invincible by Kirkman/Walker/Ottley published by Image Comics. It's written by one of the creators behind The Walking Dead. From Wikipedia's introduction:

Invincible is the teenaged son of Omni-Man, an extraterrestrial superhero of the Viltrumite race. Invincible inherited his father’s superhuman strength and ability to fly and he has sworn to protect the Earth. He has had trouble adjusting to his newfound powers and coping with the reality of his origins.

There's great action, great character development (the main character actually grows, he's not the eternal highschooler until other characters), there's a great cast, great plot twists and subvertions, no reboots at all and the best of all: dead means dead.

Walking Dead co-creator Tony Moore is going through some serious life problems right now (Bleeding Cool)

From his Facebook and Tumblr pages:

Tony Moore said:
I know for a fact that I’ve got a well-earned shitty reputation as far as reliability and responsibility in any sense is concerned. I’ve flushed a lot of great things right down the toilet, and forced a lot of the people around me whom i love to walk through Hell on my behalf. In return, I generally have just continued fucking bigger things up and making it all worse until every relationship around me crumbles.

I am deeply sorry to everyone whose hearts I have hardened with my abandon, especially my wife. Everyone who knows me knows that I’d be nowhere without Kara and her undying support and guidance. She has built everything good in our lives and I’ve returned nothing but neglect and heartbreak. She deserves far better than I have ever given.

Everyone does. I cannot offer apologies deep enough to cover the years of lies, unfulfilled promises, and breaches of trust I’ve dug away that truly separate me from everyone who has tried to be there for me.

I’m going to scale back and focus on my priorities, mainly being a husband and father. I wish I could say my careless days had been a fun ride, but I don’t even have that. I have no doubt that it will be a better road, putting neglect and lies behind me, working fulfill the needs of my family and everyone else I have forced away. I don’t expect or deserve forgiveness from anyone, especially Kara, but I hope to eventually earn back the faith I’ve burnt. In the meantime, I am sorry, and thank you.

-Tony
Whatever it was (and I'm not going to speculate), I hope things work out for him.

More impressions:

Green Arrow #23 was a good read. With Lemire and Andrea this has shot up to being one of my favorite books.

Superior Spiderman was fun as usual. Cool fight with the Hobgoblin and fun ending.

Trillium was great. My book of the week so far. Cant wait to see where this goes.

Acid08

Banned
I recommend you Invincible by Kirkman/Walker/Ottley published by Image Comics. It's written by one of the creators behind The Walking Dead. From Wikipedia's introduction:

There's great action, great character development (the main character actually grows, he's not the eternal highschooler until other characters), there's a great cast, great plot twists and subvertions, no reboots at all and the best of all: dead means dead.
Seconding this.

Vibranium

Banned
Walking Dead co-creator Tony Moore is going through some serious life problems right now (Bleeding Cool)

From his Facebook and Tumblr pages:

Whatever it was (and I'm not going to speculate), I hope things work out for him.

I wonder if Kirkman was in the right about the TWD lawsuit being BS after all despite the settlement, I remember some people on various sites lambasting him as a scumbag and that Moore was the one getting cheated.

Good luck to him at any rate, I hope he takes lots of time to live a healthier life. Rob Liefeld is another person who could benefit from doing the same thing, acknowledging your shortcomings is a step towards the healing process.

Owzers

While i'm enjoying Rucka's punisher on MU, i think the pacing would be a turn off if i were buying it monthly, it's a very mellow book and Rucka seems to enjoy settling into it, though we know its fate already.

I wanted to pick up Trillium but reading too much and just picked up Collider last week, does it seem like it will have potential?

Last impressions.

Robocop Last Stand #1 was kinda meh. Will not continue with this.

Kick-Ass 3 #2 was good.

Green Lantern #23 was another solid issue. Venditti has now had 3 books that were solid but nothing special. Something has to happen soon.

Superior Foes of Spiderman #2 was fantastic. Nuff said.

Top 5 books of the week.

1. Trillium
2. Superior Foes
3. Green Arrow
4. Phantom Stranger
5. Superior Spiderman

tim1138

I wanted to pick up Trillium but reading too much and just picked up Collider last week, does it seem like it will have potential?

It's a limited series, only 12 issues I think, so you can safely trade wait if you're unsure.

sazabirules said:
Is Lemire getting another DC book? Doesn't he have a lot on his plate already?

Pretty sure he's done with JLDark after Trinity War ends. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over JLA when Kindt's MMH arc is over. At SDCC Lemire said he has big plans for J'onn next year.

Owzers

It's a limited series, only 12 issues I think, so you can safely trade wait if you're unsure.

eight issues, but the print ones are supposed to be special somehow. I decided to buy it monthly, but tradewait The Wake.

Anywho, am i supposed to not cancel my pre-order for JL 3000 #1 knowing it's not going to be anything like it was solicited?

tim1138

eight issues, but the print ones are supposed to be special somehow. I decided to buy it monthly, but tradewait The Wake.

Anywho, am i supposed to not cancel my pre-order for JL 3000 #1 knowing it's not going to be anything like it was solicited?

They're flip books aren't they? Get halfway through and rotate it to read the other character's story?

Owzers

They're flip books aren't they? Get halfway through and rotate it to read the other character's story?

definitely flippy, that might be all there is.

Marvel swooping in on DC's mess. Marvel always has room for good artists with all the double shipping they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom