• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love for this to sell well enough to become it's own universe with its own continuity . Kind of like Marvel's Ultimate Universe.

It won't. Star Wars just isn't as popular these days, and I doubt it will be until marketing for Episode VII starts to ramp up. But Dark Horse has always had a hard time putting good creative teams together for their Star Wars books. Most of them just feel like filler. Legacy, Knights of the Old Republic, and the current Star Wars ongoing are mostly the only ones I really liked.

Read the new Cable & X-Force and Superior Spider-Man last night. Thoroughly enjoying Superior, the art is great and every issue has been good fun. Cable & X-Force was good too; should have seen the twist coming haha..

It won't. Star Wars just isn't as popular these days, and I doubt it will be until marketing for Episode VII starts to ramp up. But Dark Horse has always had a hard time putting good creative teams together for their Star Wars books. Most of them just feel like filler. Legacy, Knights of the Old Republic, and the current Star Wars ongoing are mostly the only ones I really liked.

If Star Wars isn't Ostrander/Duresema, it's a hard pass.

Picked up and read Trillium last night. Wow, what a start. Love Jeff's art style; it's cool to see him tackling two very different environments. Both chapters reminded me of Uncharted and Prometheus. Can't wait for the next installment!

TheWraith

Finally sat down and read #1-5 of the new SW Legacy series:
Couv_188589.jpg

I was extremely skeptical since no Ostrander, hence why I didn't read any of the issues yet when they came out, but boy was I surprised. I certainly didn't expect to read them all in a single sitting. Great great stuff, and it's instantly one of my favorite Star Wars series ever, and I've been reading SW comics the early 90's Dark Empire days. It really is written as a sequel to the original trilogy, and it's very rare to see a SW comic book blend the dialogue, story beats and overall plotting that are characteristic of the original movies to the comic book medium so well. Can't recommend this enough, check it out!

Finally sat down and read #1-5 of the new SW Legacy series:
StarWarsLegacy.jpg

I was extremely skeptical since no Ostrander, hence why I didn't read any of the issues yet when they came out, but boy was I surprised. I certainly didn't expect to read them all in a single sitting. Great great stuff, and it's instantly one of my favorite Star Wars series ever, and I've been reading SW comics the early 90's Dark Empire days. It really is written as a sequel to the original trilogy, and it's very rare to see a SW comic book blend the dialogue, story beats and overall plotting that are characteristic of the original movies to the comic book medium so well. Can't recommend this enough, check it out!

On that high recommend, I'll give it a shot. I've been ignoring SW comics since Wood's boring misfire so this would be a great relief.

Tizoc

Just wanna chime in and say how awesome Ales Kot's run on Suicide Squad is, a shame he'll be off the book though =(

Random images:
y0P68gT.jpg

MN50Acl.jpg

witness

So I am looking to get back into comics. I bought a few issues on my phone after looking up which series are really good since N52 and Marvel Now.

So far I have bought; JL 1 and 2, Batman 1 and 2, Aquaman 1 (wow, that was great), WW #1, and Action Comics 1.

I think though that I will just start buying the volumes of these series off the kindle app. I prefer the comixology app though.

From what I read Thor, Hulk, and X Men are really good right now. How are Iron Man, Captain America, and Avenger series? Any recommendations?

Tizoc

So I am looking to get back into comics. I bought a few issues on my phone after looking up which series are really good since N52 and Marvel Now.

So far I have bought; JL 1 and 2, Batman 1 and 2, Aquaman 1 (wow, that was great), WW #1, and Action Comics 1.

I think though that I will just start buying the volumes of these series off the kindle app. I prefer the comixology app though.

From what I read Thor, Hulk, and X Men are really good right now. How are Iron Man, Captain America, and Avenger series? Any recommendations?

GAF likes Captain America. Def. read Daredevil by Mark Waid and Hawkeye (aka Hawkguy), two of Marvel's best books atm.

Takuan

I'm doing my quarterly amazon artbook/trade paperback binge. How is Mouse Guard? Besides being incredibly adorable, does it tell a good story?

I might as well post my order:

Luther Strode (never heard of it until the Image movie thread)
Saga v2

Passed on Mouse Guard but I can always make a second order.

Maybe I should get Punk Rock Jesus? The art looks fantastic.

Owzers

DC needs to bring back B'Wana Beast. Reintroduce him in Animal Man (it'd actually make a lot of sense with the current Splinterfolk arc) and bring back Djuba and the Beast!

-edit-

Howard Porter on JL3K to replace Maguire and it's been bumped to December. Maguire is seemingly staying with DC.
http://www.newsarama.com/18636-howa...gue-3000-artist-debut-bumped-to-december.html

“The guy who nailed the character designs on the interior of the book? The guy who teamed with Grant Morrison to make JLA a hit? This is what they call a no-brainer,” series co-writer Keith Giffen said in a exclusive statement to Newsarama. “Welcome aboard Howard. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful collaboration.”

How is it a no-brainer when you have to fire the guy you already gave the job to and solicited the book with? That superman hair.....

tim1138

I'm so on the fence about double dipping.
I kind of wish marvel added a digital copy with every omni, not just the shit ones, that would make things easier.

I wish DC would add digital copies, period. It'd be nice to also have a digital edition of my beautiful Animal Man omnibus.

Acid08

Banned
NOW IN COLOR . I must say Stegman's Green Goblin is fantastic !

Fucking in awe of these.

I'm doing my quarterly amazon artbook/trade paperback binge. How is Mouse Guard? Besides being incredibly adorable, does it tell a good story?

I might as well post my order:

Luther Strode (never heard of it until the Image movie thread)
Saga v2

Passed on Mouse Guard but I can always make a second order.

Maybe I should get Punk Rock Jesus? The art looks fantastic.
That first volume of Luther Strode is really great. Love me some Tradd Moore.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
tumblr_mr9rtzOQ6X1qe69nqo1_1280.jpg

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Clone Stegman. CLONE WARS OF STEGMAN. I desire all books to be Steg'd. ALL.

Owzers

Incredible Hulk #14 by Aaron was fantastic, it felt totally bizarre reading this issue after the other two arcs, i wish his entire run were this energetic and funny. I can now only assume the first two arcs were to catch you off guard for #14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom